New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Magic The Gathering Thread XXIII: Modern is Dead, Long Live Modern

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    If you're worried about people doing something on your turn, just play Counterspell. They usually aren't trying to do more than one thing you need to worry about.
    If I had to change that card, I probably would have to put Veldalken Orrery instead. I would probably lend her the only copy I have, that card is so high in price lol

Otherwise, maybe Cauldron of Soul against boardwipe. Creatures would come back on the field untapped too right?

2. - Top - End - #962
    Banned

ghostway or teferi's instant work well against boardwipe. Or manaleak, most of the time :D

you could also build a commander version of hatebears.

Or Hokkori with trinisphere and orb of winter, thats always *fun*

3. - Top - End - #963
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by LansXero View Post
    ghostway or teferi's instant work well against boardwipe. Or manaleak, most of the time :D

you could also build a commander version of hatebears.

Or Hokkori with trinisphere and orb of winter, thats always *fun*
    I build her a pillowfort deck involving Hanna, Ship Navigator. Enchantement and artifact are more welcome for this strategy then instants and sorceries. That's why I think enchantement and artifact have a better synergy then those.

4. - Top - End - #964
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerlaus View Post
    I build her a pillowfort deck involving Hanna, Ship Navigator. Enchantement and artifact are more welcome for this strategy then instants and sorceries. That's why I think enchantement and artifact have a better synergy then those.
    Can you share the list? Then it would be easier for us to make suggestions.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

5. - Top - End - #965
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Meh, The deck i a Persistent Petitionner deck... with Hanna, Ship's Navigator as the commander. You know, the idea to mill yourself, bring back important cards from your graveyard thanks to the commander. Not the best commander for a Persitent Petitionner deck but the white color give you Rememberance, which is awesome in this deck. But that's also why I prefer enchantement and artifacts over instant and sorceries lol

tgva8889 Had a AWESOME idea so I decided to copy it... Namely, putting on a stack a lot of creatures and putting a selected number of them, AT RANDOM, into the deck at the beginning of the game. It makes the game more randomnize with drawing cards you werent expecting.

The only idea I came so far is a Doran, the Siege Tower EDH deck. Picking a stack of big toughness creature with different strategy aspect (Lifegain, aggro or Infect strategy) and applying tgva8889's idea to it. I just need a list of creatures to put on the stack for it.
    Last edited by Emmerlaus; 2019-04-12 at 01:27 PM.

6. - Top - End - #966
    Ogre in the Playground

On a semi related note...
    Anyone else super excited to build Feather as a Commander?

7. - Top - End - #967
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Techwarrior View Post
    She does bring something new to the table but I prefer my Firesong and Sunspeaker deck for such color combination. I don’t need another deck with Boros colors anyway.

8. - Top - End - #968
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Oh yes. There are a bunch of cruddy 1 mana cantrips that become draw 2 with her, which gets better with grapeshot. Being able to storm multiple turns in a row is very cool.
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

9. - Top - End - #969
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm not sure if I'll actually build the deck, but I'll definitely brew.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.

Extended signature

10. - Top - End - #970
    Titan in the Playground

Feather is perfect for multiple deck ideas I've been trying to make, so I might just jam them all into the same deck and make it happen. Plus I need a Boros deck to fill out my collection of EDH decks.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

11. - Top - End - #971
    Dwarf in the Playground

I've haven't been keeping up with MtG much over the last few years, since around Return to Ravnica.
    But I'm working on updating my Sakashima the Imposter, EDH, clone based, deck.

I was wondering if you could think of any blue or color creatures that clone well.
    Where 2 copies of it in play are stronger than 2x a single copy.
    Like Kederekt Leviathan who repeatedly bounce the field.
    or Docent of Perfection, and Master of Waves, who grow quadratically.
    Last edited by sleepy hedgehog; 2019-04-14 at 10:07 PM.

12. - Top - End - #972
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by sleepy hedgehog View Post
    I've haven't been keeping up with MtG much over the last few years, since around Return to Ravnica.

I was wondering if you could think of any blue or color creatures that clone well.
    You are thinking of sheer numbers only but does your deck has a theme/strategy otherwise?

Viral Drake could be useful as you need only 10 poison counters to win the game. Faerie Artisans mean you get twice as many creatures each turns with doubl enter the battlefield effects. Selecting a card as Toothy, Imaginary friend mean you will have to apply the Legendary rule, so no matter how many cards you draw thanks for Toothy, the copy get as many +1/+1 counter. Perplexing Chimera allow you to respond to your own Perplexing Chimera trigger, picking the spell they wanted to cast so that their own Perplexing Chimera trigger effect fizzle.
    Last edited by Emmerlaus; 2019-04-15 at 08:01 AM.

13. - Top - End - #973
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Could someone perhaps provide me with a list of the planeswalker backstory media?

I've only been playing about 3 months, so relatively new, but I love reading and there's apparently so much more than what is just listed in the fat packs. Whenever I google it though, google just sends me to Wikipedia and Amazon and that isn't as helpful.

Is it mostly just comics, or are there novels as well? I would prefer books, but I'll soak up anything I can get. If it is in comic format, would someone also please link where I could read online? I can physically purchase books easy enough, but usually any storyline in comics can be over a dozen issues and that'll be harder to collect.

14. - Top - End - #974
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sleepy hedgehog View Post

So you're looking for creatures that synergize with clone effects...

Glen Elendra Archmage is a great choice because the clone will get Persist, and when it comes back you can pick a different target. It's also just, you know, a hilariously powerful card. Deadeye Navigator will let you repeatedly bounce your clones to get more ETB effects. Palinchron is just an infinite combo waiting to happen, Myr Battlesphere has a great ETB trigger and is generally awesome with two... Precursor Golem has a great ETB and is arguably better with more of them on the board, although in mono-blue there's not too much you can do with it except Distortion Strike/Shadow Rift. Halimar Excavator definitely grows quadratically, and instantly mills like two players to death at once if you resolve a kicked Rite of Replication on it.

Lullmage Mentor looks like almost exactly what you want, and it's not toooo dirty as long as you're not combining it with Intruder Alarm or something. Sharding Sphinx is similar, combining with itself to produce crazy numbers of tokens. Merrow Reejery is also pretty good if you have multiples, since it's both a lord effect and gives you a stackable triggered ability. Murmuring Mystic is like Docent of Perfection without the buff effect, but its tokens just naturally have flying. Nimbus Champion isn't really a card I'd recommend, but it does fill your stated criteria. Undead Alchemist ditto, you're not really gonna pull off too much zombie synergy in mono-blue singleton.

15. - Top - End - #975
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Karnitis View Post
    Could someone perhaps provide me with a list of the planeswalker backstory media?

I've only been playing about 3 months, so relatively new, but I love reading and there's apparently so much more than what is just listed in the fat packs. Whenever I google it though, google just sends me to Wikipedia and Amazon and that isn't as helpful.

Is it mostly just comics, or are there novels as well? I would prefer books, but I'll soak up anything I can get. If it is in comic format, would someone also please link where I could read online? I can physically purchase books easy enough, but usually any storyline in comics can be over a dozen issues and that'll be harder to collect.
    https://magic.wizards.com/es/story

https://www.shenafu.com/magic/magic_comics.html

https://kisslibrary.net/book/46C2C6E...data2=phpcloak

16. - Top - End - #976
    Ettin in the Playground

Is 33% black, 33% blue, 25% green, 8% red, 1% white sultai?
    Last edited by Zhentarim; 2019-04-16 at 07:03 AM.

17. - Top - End - #977
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zhentarim View Post
    Is 33% black, 33% blue, 25% green, 8%, 1% white sultai?
    It's closer to Sultai than it is to any other colour combination.

18. - Top - End - #978
    Barbarian in the Playground

Is 33% black, 33% blue, 25% green, 8%, 1% white sultai?
    In terms of a person’s color identity, or a deck list?

19. - Top - End - #979
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius Hermicus View Post
    In terms of a person’s color identity, or a deck list?
    Color Identity.

20. - Top - End - #980
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gauntlet View Post
    Most of the two-colour decks that are trying to aggressively curve out (like Boros, Gruul and Azorius aggro) in Standard right now are resolving this issue by leaning heavily towards one colour. The most frequent Boros lists run all Plains, four Sacred Foundry and 3-4 Clifftop Retreat, meaning all their lands make white mana to support Benalish Marshal and History of Benalia, while the only red card in the maindeck is usually Heroic Reinforcements, which only needs a single red mana source and is high enough up the curve that you have more time to draw red sources.

Generally the slower a deck is, the more it can afford to deal with a slightly clunkier mana base - the aggro decks above want to be curving out and spending all the available mana every turn, and failing to do so has real impact on its win rate. A slower deck with more impactful individual cards, like a control deck, is less worried about curving out and instead just wants to hit its land drops mainly. Non-aggro decks can much more happily play a tapped land on turn one, and spend turn three casting a two-drop and playing a tapped land, if it means they get to cast their 4 mana sweepers or big haymakers that stabilize the game. You still need to take your cards into account when building a manabase - Sultai lists often need to decide whether they want to run lots of Forests to enable turn 1 Llanowar Elves, or less Forests to enable turn 2 Thought Erasure instead, for example - but they generally have more card draw / library manipulation effects to help them find the land drops to actually cast their spells.
    Those shock lands that allow you to pay two life to go immediately are a cornerstone of my 3 color decks. My esper aggro has 4 of each of the W/U, W/B, and B/U shocks that make you pay life.

21. - Top - End - #981
    Ogre in the Playground

Those shock lands that allow you to pay two life to go immediately are a cornerstone of my 3 color decks. My esper aggro has 4 of each of the W/U, W/B, and B/U shocks that make you pay life.
    You realize you've replied to a month and a half old post that's five pages back?
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

22. - Top - End - #982
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

So, now that I have seen the new Gideon, I think I have a plan for my standard deck once War of the Spark comes out. I am axing all the dominaria stuff that I currently have, so as to be ready for it to cycle out.

White Aggro!
    3x Gideon
    3x Tomik
    4x Grateful Apparition
    4x Adjani's Pridemate
    4x Healer's Hawk
    4x Tithe Taker
    4x Venerated Loxodon
    4x Conclave Tribunal
    4x Dawn of Hope (or maybe only 3?)
    4x Unbreakable Formation (I think that is the name... the give indestructable, with addendum +1/+1 counters)
    22x Plains (or maybe have 20, and 2 mobilized districts, kharn's bastions or blasting zones?)

My meta has some really hard-core people, but we are also trying hard to get in new players.

Though this plan may change depending on what else shows up... and the nonbasic lands will probably depend on how much money I am willing to spend. I guess I will have to see how much gideon and tomik end up costing.

23. - Top - End - #983
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Tomik is a good card for a flying creature. Only cost two, its a flyer, have 2/3 as stats. But since its ability is limited in uses and its a legendary, I would put only two copies of it.

But Im IN LOVE with Tomik art! If they make it a playmat, I'll buy my first playmat for Magic ever!

EDIT: As for the Commander format though, I will definitly put it in my Esperia the Unscrutable deck!
    Last edited by Emmerlaus; 2019-04-17 at 11:23 PM.

24. - Top - End - #984
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Spoiler: WAR Story
    Show

25. - Top - End - #985
    Titan in the Playground

If you are going to play Grateful Apparition or Ajani's Pridemate, it feels like you really need more support for them. I would either cut them for more of the better 1-drops, or put more support in for them. Skymarcher Aspirant and Dauntless Bodyguard are classically good in mono-white these days. If you want to keep Ajani's Pridemate I'd find space for more ways to gain life. The obvious one you're not playing is Legion's Landing, though there are some other options as well. Similarly, if you were to play Grateful Apparition, you should play more ways to put counters on. Getting the first counter with something like Sunhome Stalwart really does matter.

Now that I'm thinking about it, Mentor creatures seem very powerful with Grateful Apparition. Turning it into a 3/3 after one attack is not nothing. I think for a deck like mono-white aggro, though, that card is just too slow and low-impact. You'd rather play two one-drops than a 1/1 flier for 2 mana.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

26. - Top - End - #986
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by mythmonster2 View Post
    Show
    Wow, thank you for the video list. Before today, I didnt check a lot of spoilers from the set but now that I see them... GOSH! I want so many of those cards and make some new decks with them haha! Well I wont because of money reasons but this set is promising!

... that wont stop me from buying a few cards for the decks I already own though. Tomik is a must for me and that new Neheb zombie minotaur card will go well in another one of my deck too for exemple. Their is a few more worth nothing but Im too tired to start listening them up LOL

I wasnt that excited for a new set for a long time. I think the Amass ability is useless though. But I might be biased because I dont like zombies all that much. But those planeswalker cards definitly are changing the game and how its played. Proliforate became more important then ever... Same for my copy of the Eternal Sun who will surely rise in price. same for Solemnity LOL

I didnt mind that much not knowing the lore before though but the videos are kinda nice. It incited me in looking it up a little bit. And with the Youtube video line I just discovered thanks to this thread, wow!

27. - Top - End - #987
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Thank you!
    I just finished reading all the comics in the 2nd link and I already feel a bit more of a connection with many of them than before as ' a red/green planeswalker' or 'the black one.'

28. - Top - End - #988
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mythmonster2 View Post
    Show
    I haven't watched the link yet, but I'm guessing Angrath died.

EDIT: Watched the link, now.

Show
    RIP, Gideon.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2019-04-18 at 11:33 AM.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

29. - Top - End - #989
    Banned

Since the new spellbook came out Im not sure why people are bothering with spoiler tags, but ok

Spoiler: Spoiler
    Show

That flavor though. Ugh. I'll miss him :'(

And the with with the Trusted Pegasus and Divine Arrow ;w; QwQ

Edit:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYpk...lDFZw6ak4G7SUI

F
    Last edited by LansXero; 2019-04-18 at 12:56 PM.

30. - Top - End - #990
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    If you are going to play Grateful Apparition or Ajani's Pridemate, it feels like you really need more support for them. I would either cut them for more of the better 1-drops, or put more support in for them. Skymarcher Aspirant and Dauntless Bodyguard are classically good in mono-white these days. If you want to keep Ajani's Pridemate I'd find space for more ways to gain life. The obvious one you're not playing is Legion's Landing, though there are some other options as well. Similarly, if you were to play Grateful Apparition, you should play more ways to put counters on. Getting the first counter with something like Sunhome Stalwart really does matter.

Now that I'm thinking about it, Mentor creatures seem very powerful with Grateful Apparition. Turning it into a 3/3 after one attack is not nothing. I think for a deck like mono-white aggro, though, that card is just too slow and low-impact. You'd rather play two one-drops than a 1/1 flier for 2 mana.
    The problem with things like legions landing is they cycle out in a couple of months, and I already have a deck built with dominaria cards, so this exercise is to build something that I can use after the cycling, so as to avoid building standard decks all the time. Also legions landing is more expensive than I want to spend on a standard deck.

I could drop a Tomik, a Dawn of Hope, and a Grateful Apparition for a trio of Sunholme Stalwarts, which I like in my current deck.

It would probably be too much to hope for another lifelink flier to show up in War, I suppose.

EDIT: Though that new kitty does look like a purrfect fit.
    Last edited by Yaktan; 2019-04-19 at 10:47 PM.