New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1113 - The Discussion Thread

Ah, loop-holes. Always make cleric-ing more interesting.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground

BUT!
    If being dishonorable is what is required to follow Loki's path
    AND
    there is nothing more honorable for a cleric than following his god's truth (so much that her soul is considered to die with honor)
    THEN
    she is not following Loki's path, thus she isn't doing what is honorable for a cleric of Loki.

Which means she indeed follows Loki's path. Which means she doesn't. Which means...

The old and dear: "This sentence if false."
    I feel like Loki watched too many ST:TOS episodes where Kirk used this to make computers explode.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Quote Originally Posted by The_Weirdo View Post
    My view on oppression is pretty much the view on oppression to which, oh, I don't know, the United Federation of Planets in Star Trek or the Maquis in the same franchise ascribe. It's not exactly an anarchist's view or something to that effect. On that note, since when is married off to a turnip at crossbow point mild?

Well, yes, I do.
    Quot erat demonstratum - all dwarfes will rest easy in their coffins now knowing that star trek was involved so it was probably all ok

what bigotry or idiocy?? stupidity??? naivity???
    Did I miss something?? is this even a legitimate test ?? What would the United Federation of the Planets think??
    What would they do? Eradicate the entire dwarfen race for not abiding by their societal standards??

Gott im Himmel steh mir bei

<snip>

Oh, not really. I'll readily advocate for the personal freedom of anyone who doesn't want to be oppressed and transfer the blame for whatever they do to the oppressor.
    How more opressing can you get than gunning them all down because you just feel like it because its cheap because you imagine you wouldnt be responsible?

You are the worst opressor of them all
    Last edited by schmunzel; 2018-02-20 at 03:09 PM.
    Do NOT argue with idiots - they drag you on their level and beat you with experience

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by schmunzel View Post
    Quot erat demonstratum - all dwarfes will rest easy in their coffins now knowing that star trek was involved so it was probably all ok

Did I miss something?? is this even a legitimate test ?? What would the United Federation of the Planets think??
    What would they do? Eradicate the entire dwarfen race for not abiding by their societal standards??

Okay, one, they have no coffins. Unless Rich draws said coffins.
    Two, I never claimed we (or the in-comic humans) should kill them. I claimed Hilgya had a right to. And I claimed their society should fall.
    Three, do you really think the Federation would shed many tears should Bajorans or even Maquis blow up Cardassia Prime?

How more opressing can you get than gunning them all down because you just feel like it because its cheap because you imagine you wouldnt be responsible?

You are the worst opressor of them all
    And what if it were Hilgya, then? She didn't want to marry Ivan. She's a dwarf, has actually been harmed by their society and so on. Would she be an oppressor for wanting her pound of flesh?
    Last edited by The_Weirdo; 2018-02-20 at 03:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Weirdo... I'm not sure you're entirely clear on how an 'alliance' works.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    My headcanon: 1 soul-power, or something similarly banal
    GW
    It was implied to be a LOT of soul power, as she mentioned it IN ADDITION TO the 10 million dwarf souls that would push her up to above Odin.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

6. - Top - End - #126

WolfInSheepsClothing

Not to mention they talk about both the Federation and the Maquis, who literally fought over whether or not the federation was assisting in their oppression by the Cardassians. So even their examples are self-contradictory. And the Federation is not the be-all, end-all of what a good society is either. Remember, they are a-ok with condemning billions to die in order to follow the federation's prime directive (seems pretty lawful for a self-proclaimed chaotic person).

And even Picard, the mouth-piece for Federation philosophy admitted that sometimes they had to allow people to do bad things because they have no right to interfere. Does he go in and set up assassination attempts against the Klingons? No, he works with them to try and improve their broken, oppressive system through peace. One of the recurring conflicts on that show is where to draw the line of when you shouldn't interfere with the business of others!

I really don't understand The_Weirdo's position.
    Last edited by 3WhiteFox3; 2018-02-20 at 03:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phelix-Mu View Post
    We live in the land of the internets, where arguing is never pointless.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Colossus in the Playground

My view on oppression is pretty much the view on oppression to which, oh, I don't know, the United Federation of Planets in Star Trek or the Maquis in the same franchise ascribe.
    Considering one of the two organizations you just named defines the other as a criminal organization while the second organization defines the first one as an oppressive government, I think there may be something off in this one of your theses.

Also, say what you like about the Prime Directive, it's pretty close to the exact opposite of a mandate to annihilate any oppressive government, though I can think of a Star Trek galactic power dedicated to that end (it's the Borg, prior to the stupid "instead of them being a true collective they're all slaves to an evil queen" retcon).

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 3WhiteFox and Kish
    Snip.
    I used the Federation as a shorthand for the kind of moderate societal norms most of us in this forum presumably believe in - no forced marriages, everyone gets pursuit of happiness and so on.

Basically, the standards for societal freedoms to which, presumably, most of us are accustomed.
    Last edited by The_Weirdo; 2018-02-20 at 03:16 PM.
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

Three, do you really think the Federation would shed many tears should Bajorans or even Maquis blow up Cardassia Prime?
    Yes? Because they aren’t evil, and see extermination of a semi tent people as horrifying and abhorrent.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    Yes? Because they aren’t evil, and see extermination of a semi tent people as horrifying and abhorrent.
    I can think of quite a few Federation citizens going "well, at least now they won't attack us" and of quite a few others, especially among those with Bajoran or Maquis friends, going couldn't have happened to a nicer people. It's perfectly reasonable not to really mind if the Fascist, aggressive state with a history of invading others for slave labor gets blown up.
    Last edited by The_Weirdo; 2018-02-20 at 03:20 PM.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 3WhiteFox3 View Post
    I really don't understand The_Weirdo's position.
    I believe it's rationalization of serial killing; the oppression part is just an implementation detail.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    It was implied to be a LOT of soul power, as she mentioned it IN ADDITION TO the 10 million dwarf souls that would push her up to above Odin.
    I don't remember that. Link?

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    I believe it's rationalization of serial killing; the oppression part is just an implementation detail.
    More like massively parallel killing, given that it seems this is the second time that they've derailed the conversation into trying to justify annihilation of an entire species.

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2018-02-20 at 03:21 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

HEY!

Didn't I eat you in previous threads?

14. - Top - End - #134

WolfInSheepsClothing

I used the Federation as a shorthand for the kind of moderate societal norms most of us in this forum presumably believe in - no forced marriages, everyone gets pursuit of happiness and so on.

Basically, the standards for societal freedoms to which, presumably, most of us are accustomed.
    Right, but one of those standards for societal freedoms is that other cultures will do things that make you very uncomfortable, but in the interests of peace you have to pick your battles. Know what is worth fighting over and what isn't. I follow that standard because I believe it is the best way to allow people to live free. I'd rather convert through words and benevolence than violence (even if violence is sometimes a necessity).

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

HEY!

Didn't I eat you in previous threads?
    I recall you saying you ate a banana; that may have been true. I'm not privy to (all) your hallucinations.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Right, but one of those standards for societal freedoms is that other cultures will do things that make you very uncomfortable, but in the interests of peace you have to pick your battles. Know what is worth fighting over and what isn't. I follow that standard because I believe it is the best way to allow people to live free. I'd rather convert through words and benevolence than violence (even if violence is sometimes a necessity).
    And I'm not advocating for us to invade the Dwarven lands, even because there'd be too many of us to stand on poor Rich's computer...

I'm just saying that, well, if Hilgya rained Hel on the Dwarves, can't really blame her.

I recall you saying you ate a banana; that may have been true. I'm not privy to (all) your hallucinations.
    >_>

<_<

*Eats you*
    Last edited by The_Weirdo; 2018-02-20 at 03:24 PM.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Okay, one, they have no coffins. Unless Rich draws said coffins.
    Two, I never claimed we (or the in-comic humans) should kill them. I claimed Hilgya had a right to. And I claimed their society should fall.

And what if it were Hilgya, then? She didn't want to marry Ivan. She's a dwarf, has actually been harmed by their society and so on. Would she be an oppressor for wanting her pound of flesh?
    You claimed they dont deserve to exist - I fail to see a difference

sch
    Do NOT argue with idiots - they drag you on their level and beat you with experience

18. - Top - End - #138

WolfInSheepsClothing

And I'm not advocating for us to invade the Dwarven lands, even because there'd be too many of us to stand on poor Rich's computer...

I'm just saying that, well, if Hilgya rained Hel on the Dwarves, can't really blame her.
    I can blame her because using the tools of the oppressor to fight oppression just creates collateral damage and casualties of war. What happens when children who survive, who did nothing wrong see the pain caused by Hilga and decide to rain Hel on her? When does it end?

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

I can blame her because using the tools of the oppressor to fight oppression just creates collateral damage and casualties of war. What happens when children who survive, who did nothing wrong see the pain caused by Hilga and decide to rain Hel on her? When does it end?
    They can take it up with the clans. The clans started it.
    Last edited by The_Weirdo; 2018-02-20 at 03:27 PM.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

So there are societies not believing in these values ??? who would have thought!!
    They all probably didnt pass The Weirdos right to existance test.
    poor them. Didnt they know he is the one and only moral compass??

All hail The Weirdo!

21. - Top - End - #141

WolfInSheepsClothing

They can take it up with the clans. They started it.
    But why is it the clan's responsibility and not the people who started the clan's oppression? After all, the clans don't exist in a vacuum, there's some reason they exist the way they do. Why is Hilga free from all responsibility for the evil she commits (which is just as bad as the evil inflicted on her) but the clans aren't?

Let's assume that the clans are all dead and no one can take responsibility for their actions any more, but Hilga has still harmed millions. Now the oppressed will have no clans to destroy, and Hilga has now oppressed them.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    I don't remember that. Link?
    Huh, she didn’t say that exactly, at least not where I thought she did.

Here she talks about the winnings in addition to all the dwarf souls in the context of “then there will be Hel to pay”. But not specifically that those would be what pushed over.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

So there are societies not believing in these values ??? who would have thought!!
    They all probably didnt pass The Weirdos right to existance test.
    poor them. Didnt they know he is the one and only moral compass??

All hail The Weirdo!
    Somehow, not only do I think you're being ironic, I also do not think you're preparing my room in the Bundeskanzleramt.

Look, I have to do some work for a while. I'll be back in a few hours.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

*Eats you*
    AAAAAAAAAALL NIGHT LONG!

25. - Top - End - #145
    Colossus in the Playground

Someone did start to blow up Cardassia Prime, or at least the occupied parts of it. It was the series finale of Deep Space Nine and the Federation was unambiguously and wholeheartedly on the side of stopping the horrific atrocity being committed.
    Would she be an oppressor for wanting her pound of flesh?
    Anyone who wants to carve pounds of flesh out of innocent* people is an oppressor, yes.

*"Innocent" here defined as "they didn't directly and personally do anything," not "no one anywhere near them** did anything."
    **No, I will not "take it up with the clans"; a dwarf who responds to oppression with serial or spree killing is a monster who needs to be stopped, and can tell their tale of woe to the prison therapists once they are in a straitjacket.
    Last edited by Kish; 2018-02-20 at 03:44 PM.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Somehow, not only do I think you're being ironic, I also do not think you're preparing my room in the Bundeskanzleramt.

Look, I have to do some work for a while. I'll be back in a few hours.
    Actually I do think that you are evil and just looking for cheap justification of the violence you want to inflict
    Angela has many flaws but a malfunctioning moral compass is surely not one of them
    sch

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Actually I do think that you are evil and just looking for cheap justification of the violence you want to inflict
    So long as I'm not Lawful...

28. - Top - End - #148
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

So long as I'm not Lawful...
    You do not have to be lawful to be honest
    You do not have to be lawful to be a good person
    You do not have to be lawful to respect other people
    You do not have to be lawful to work for the betterment of your peers and society

You have to be a sadistic ass to think its ok to kill innocents as long as you can shift the blame elswhere

I realize you play the part - it still is abhorrent to me

sch

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

I realize you play the part - it still is abhorrent to me
    Okay, that's not really how it works. I should know; many people, even here, would have said it if your interpretation of the things I said were correct...

30. - Top - End - #150
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Okay, that's not really how it works. I should know; many people, even here, would have said it if your interpretation of the things I said were correct...
    What interpretation is there for the dwarf apart from being dead due to unrelated reasons??

sch