New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Can others break into your demiplane?

Title question. My starsoul sorcerer will one day create a personal demiplane that reflects himself. Just a nice little home to kick up his feet while not adventuring. Somewhere private to rest, plot and plan. There'd be a vault to store all the wonderful treasures acquired over the years. Maybe have a bar and some rooms with beds for friends that decide to come visit.

Landscape-wise I was thinking a magical mountain peak with a field of snow covered trees surrounding it.

Now of course during the course of adventuring, there will be enemies to be made. Just no getting around it. One persons hero is another persons villain. To quote a famous savvy villain, "The richer you are, the more enemies you have. And I am very rich." What I am wondering is, how easy is it for a group of foes devoted to taking me down to break into my private, hand-crafted demiplane? Is it a necessity to design the mountain in question with traps, monsters, and other deterrents to keep would-be killers and self-deluded "heroes" from robbing it of precious belongings and striking at my fragile person?
    Last edited by tadkins; 2018-02-28 at 11:25 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Can others break into your demiplane?

Wish and Gate (and probably Miracle) get them there no matter what you do.

You'll want some defenses on the plane itself if you expect to be making enemies - this goes double if you're planning this for an actual campaign, since if your GM wants something to break in it probably will find a way to do so. Rather than try to make it "everything-proof," focus ion loss mitigation strategies instead - have a backup plan if they show up, have a backup plan if they rob you, have a backup plan if they kill you etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

GnomePirate

Conjuration spells require that all creatures/objects must arrive in an area that's unobstructed. You can exploit this rule to make sure all visitors to your demiplane arrive in a set location by obstructing all other locations in some way (dangling string or the like).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Contingency (while noticeably less powerful than in 3.5), can be used to cover a good portion of your bases (teleport says hello; plane shift if you can a) get a scroll of it (from a cleric), b) convince your DM that contingency lets you use a scroll, and c) that plane shift is a viable contingency spell (pretty sure it just doesn't work, but worth a check).

Anyway. That's a good place to start. Teleport trap is a good one. Clone is a good one. Cast it multiple times for funsies.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by SaintNick View Post
    Conjuration spells require that all creatures/objects must arrive in an area that's unobstructed. You can exploit this rule to make sure all visitors to your demiplane arrive in a set location by obstructing all other locations in some way (dangling string or the like).
    1) This won't stop Wish (which, on top of ignoring local conditions, isn't a conjuration.)
    2) This kind of lawyering has a lot of potential to backfire - you wouldn't want your own teleportation to fail/mishap as the GM cheerily informs you a leaf or some dust has fallen on your intended destination or something.

Quote Originally Posted by RFLS View Post
    Contingency (while noticeably less powerful than in 3.5), can be used to cover a good portion of your bases (teleport says hello; plane shift if you can a) get a scroll of it (from a cleric), b) convince your DM that contingency lets you use a scroll, and c) that plane shift is a viable contingency spell (pretty sure it just doesn't work, but worth a check).
    Contingent Shadow Walk could get you out of dodge if Plane Shift is too high.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Contingent Shadow Walk could get you out of dodge if Plane Shift is too high.
    Just gotta have a super goth hideaway plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Da Rules
    To use the shadow walk spell, you must be in an area of dim light.
    Which I am down with.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Wouldn't they have to know it exists first?

Problem solved.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sinewmire View Post
    Wouldn't they have to know it exists first?

Problem solved.
    Here are a few reasons why they'll find you.

Basically, if they want to find you, they will find you.
    Last edited by RFLS; 2018-03-01 at 04:56 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

If you have Mind Blank up all day (as you should), they won't. Contact Other Plane works and that's about it. Wish lacks "find a person"-clause so it won't by default work there.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

10. - Top - End - #10

"Then let them come. We will see how they like the cold chill of the void!"

Hehe, thanks for the responses everyone. I suppose it's time to get creative and think of some cool traps and shiz for Wintershard Peak.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

You can throw up a lot of dimensional locks, but the spell won't cover a demiplane of any considerable size, and I doubt you can throw enough of these down to cover everywhere. They do last 1/day per level, so with enough time and spamming it you may be able to cover all of the demiplane depending on how big it is. You could use it to ensure they land in the only spot you want them to, which can be trapped with glyphs etc etc. Wish or miracle could still beat it, but it does stop gate.
    Last edited by Geddy2112; 2018-03-01 at 09:24 AM.
    Guides
    Monk dipping for pathfinder druids, a mini guide
    Trapped Under Ice-Geddy2112's guide to the Pathfinder Winter Witch
    I contributed to this awesome guide to chaotic good

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    If you have Mind Blank up all day (as you should), they won't. Contact Other Plane works and that's about it. Wish lacks "find a person"-clause so it won't by default work there.
    That will stop them from finding you specifically, but they can still find your demiplane (by not targeting you.)

Non-divination means also still work, including gather information, or the Supreme Tracker mythic power.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

13. - Top - End - #13
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Geddy2112 View Post
    You can throw up a lot of dimensional locks, but the spell won't cover a demiplane of any considerable size, and I doubt you can throw enough of these down to cover everywhere. They do last 1/day per level, so with enough time and spamming it you may be able to cover all of the demiplane depending on how big it is. You could use it to ensure they land in the only spot you want them to, which can be trapped with glyphs etc etc. Wish or miracle could still beat it, but it does stop gate.
    It's expensive but Forbiddance is a permanent option to this end. It's got some cool rider effects as well. Of course, Wish is Wish and beating that takes a bit more work (generally involves misdirection leading the enemies to a fake plane or whatever; they still need to know where they want to go to get there of course). Of course, Greater Create Demiplane allows Impeded Magic and Dead Magic traits to protect the place in a more hardcore manner. The trick is figuring out how you can circumvent those limitations yourself or it isn't going to be that useful to you - Impeded Magic is easy but it's also not nearly the defense that Dead Magic is.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

14. - Top - End - #14

I'm not quite sure if Akashic Records are Paizo (it isn't marked specifically), but they are very difficult to reach. Maybe houserule something to allow a similar effect?
    Avatar made by Mehangel - "Neigh?"

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by EldritchWeaver View Post
    I'm not quite sure if Akashic Records are Paizo (it isn't marked specifically), but they are very difficult to reach. Maybe houserule something to allow a similar effect?
    Akashic Record is indeed first-party. Of course, if you can houserule the problem away then there are a wide variety of solutions, including enlisting deities or inventing artifacts.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

There's a couple ways to prevent it.

1: make your demiplane completely solid except for you. You will need some way to ignore needing to breathe, but that shouldn't be an issue. This will block anything but wish which can be used to pull you out of your demiplane.
    2: forbiddance. Technically, the spell allows sr so can be ignored by someone with high enough sr. This will block planeshift otherwise.
    3: Prismatic Spheres/walls surrounding the entire plane. A gm might be convinced that they block teleportation through them since they block all effects raw. I rule it thusly anyways.
    4: be immune to lava and fill the entire plane with it. Make lava-proof furniture, lavaproof cabinets, lava-proof food etc. Anyone attacking you would need some serious build changes to come after you.

17. - Top - End - #17

BardGuy

I've got astral pirates who look specifically for demiplanes to plunder in my games.

To this day, no player has ever used the security method of having a person say "Welcome, friends, kick back your feet and relax a while in paradise!"

Sure, might not stop the bloodthirsty or vengeful, butcha never know who's in the market for more safe harbors.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Afgncaap5 View Post
    I've got astral pirates who look specifically for demiplanes to plunder in my games.
    Let's hope they enjoy the cold then. As well as winding caves with sharp crystal shards literally everywhere. :)

Thanks everyone for your responses so far. Giving me a bunch to think about.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Geddy2112 View Post
    Pathfinder has a fix for the duration; you can make your plane timeless with a casting of Create Greater Demiplane. Then it doesn't expire. You MAY be able to make it timeless just with respect to magic.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.