New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: LA adjustment

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Question LA adjustment

Okay so time for a short story. Sorry guys :). Back when i first started D&D i wanted to do a succubus character. Well I had a starter DM and I was a new player. SO I ****ed it up. Well fast forward a few years and Me and the DM are playing in a new game and the New DM decided to bring back the Succubus from the old game (Roleplay reason) and I had to remake her. While I'm a better player now there is still something I don't like. And that is Level Adjustments. I know you can buy off Level adjustments at certain levels but Isn't it only 4 Levels? But either way I don't want to deal with them if possible. So is there anyway what so ever to get them off? This is a high power Campaign so i should have access to most of those things. If there is no way then sadness. Sorry if there is something obvious that i'm missing.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: LA adjustment

You can buy off 1 point of your LA at your LA*3 HD. Meaning if you have LA 4 then at level 12 you can buy your first LA off. Then 3*3=9 meaning you would have to wait until level 21 to buy off your second one.

Alternatively http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...gnment-archive
    our very own Inevitability has been working on assigning appropriate LAs to all the creatures of DND, and I agree with 90% of his choices. (if not more, I am not actually going through all of them)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    I feel like telling the ghost of Gary Gygax to hold your beer is a good way to suddenly stop being the GM, but I have to admit that this would probably be remarkably effective. At what, I dunno, but effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    I am continually astounded by how new you are here in contrast to how impressive your mind is.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FTG82 View Post
    Back when i first started D&D i wanted to do a succubus character.
    Nudge nudge, wink wink.

Quote Originally Posted by FTG82 View Post
    Well I had a starter DM and I was a new player. SO I ****ed it up. Well fast forward a few years and Me and the DM are playing in a new game and the New DM decided to bring back the Succubus from the old game (Roleplay reason) and I had to remake her. While I'm a better player now there is still something I don't like. And that is Level Adjustments. I know you can buy off Level adjustments at certain levels but Isn't it only 4 Levels? But either way I don't want to deal with them if possible. So is there anyway what so ever to get them off? This is a high power Campaign so i should have access to most of those things. If there is no way then sadness. Sorry if there is something obvious that i'm missing.
    Tell the DM that there's no problem bringing back the Succubus, but that you are not going to play that character. You know that a Succubus in 3.x D&D is a mechanically bad choice.

The new DM wants to use your old PC as an NPC? Might be cool.

The new DM wants you to play a character you dislike? NOPE.

The LA on a 3.5e Succubus is +6, and she's got 6 HD in addition, so you're not going to be allowed to buy that off before the PC is well into Epic levels.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Recent thread on much the same subject.

I believe consensus opinion is "succubi, like every other monster with an LA, are way over-LA'd".

To reiterate what I said there:
    Quote Originally Posted by Malimar View Post
    In my game, all LAs are halved (unless they're already +1), which reduces the succubus to +3, not quite as extreme as LA+2. But in the case of the succubus, even +2 is probably underpowered in a combat game, and probably even +3 is overpowered in a social game. (Inevitability agrees with you on +2, though he appears to lean towards a high +2.) A revised monster class with the change to +3 can be found here if you want to use it.

I also house-rule that you don't need to finish a savage monster progression before taking levels in other classes; instead:
    A character is not required to finish their monster class progression before entering another class; however, a character may not have more class levels than monster levels unless their monster class progression is complete. Once you have completed your progression in a monster class, the “empty levels” that do not add hit dice may be reduced like level adjustment.
    I allowed a succubus character in a game with the above rules, and he's still a bit underpowered as it's not much of a social campaign, but half of that is Battle Dancer levels and the other half is he's in a party with a ghaele/cleric who is pretty overpowered using the same rules.
    Monster classes (as per Savage Species) are a partial solution, LA buyoff is a partial solution, my houserules above are a partial solution. Together, they're like 90% of the way to a complete solution.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

[/QUOTE]. The new DM wants you to play a character you dislike? NOPE. [/QUOTE]
    Well it's not that i don't want to play her. It's a little fun because I'm kind of ****ing with other players XD But i do want to optimize her

[/QUOTE]The LA on a 3.5e Succubus is +6, and she's got 6 HD in addition, so you're not going to be allowed to buy that off before the PC is well into Epic levels.[/QUOTE]
    And i already know that.