New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Default Re: Ambulating Artifacts [IC]

Kit:

Kit's fingers curl around the ring and his eyes close against the sudden surge of grief and anger brought on by the words in the journal. Evidently, the author had failed to save -- he pushes aside his feelings with a sudden thought. Keeper had said his brother had also been killed? He had to know more! What if this Pell was the author of the journal?

He offers the ring to Cristobal. "Can you identify this, Master Hawk?"

Only the words in the journal keep Kit from sliding the ring on his finger out of pure curiosity. If the author was so wary about the thing, then they, too, must be cautious.

"Died," he muses, echoing Erunak's thoughts, then, "What does the Artifact have to do with this Yale?" He didn't want to voice his first thought, that the monster written about, the one that was supposed to be dead, seemed to him to be the demon itself, Nazfariel. If that was true, then who was the author, that he considered himself strong enough to confront the demon alone? No, he must be missing something, but what?

Why am I suddenly so important? he wonders in dismay. I'm nobody.

Aloud, he says, "Why do I suddenly get the feeling that we're the 'descendents' this guy is talking about? Descendents of what?"

[edited to add PM info, rather than double-post]

Kit sits up suddenly, hissing, "Shh! I hear something."

He hears a low keening sound, like someone weeping, and a dull 'thunk' followed by the outside door closing. Rising and setting down the journal, he pads to the door of their room and pauses for a moment to listen further, his hand on the latch.

((Is the door locked? or can I go through?))
    Last edited by Grrth; 2007-09-10 at 10:06 PM.
    My Characters:

Spoiler
    Show
    Ke'Kitathas El'Tulari of Ambulating Artifacts:

Kit, Elven Paladin of Corellon Larethian, lvl 1
    (current) AC 13, hp: 10/10, init +1, Listen/Spot +4

Kai'Ninaste El'Tir of Lich Ruler:

Nina, elven Ranger/Rogue of Solonor Thelandira, lvl 2/3
    AC 17, hp: 26/26, init +3, Listen/Spot +12

Hotaru of The Cube:

'Ru, half-elven Bard, lvl 5
    AC 16, hp: 20/20, init +2, Listen/Spot +6/+1

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

Post Re: Ambulating Artifacts [IC]

The door is unlocked, and opens with a creak. You return into the room that you entered by. The door is open, filling the room with a chill wind. The fire burns lower now, filling the room with a flickering glow. On the table is a note, pinned to the table by a small knife. Your weapons lay on the table. The note reads as follows.

My Liege and his companions
    I am sorry. I have failed you. Yale forced me to do it. There is no weapons ban. He planned to kill the King with your blade, and have his diviner pronounce you the guilty party. He told me that if I did not, he would kill my brother. He is not dead, as I told you. I even bribed Yales Diviner to search for him for me. He merely laughed, and told me; "He is under the bed'. I cannot live with it any more. I have spent the last of my inheritance to buy a modified Scroll of Dispel Magic, and am setting out now to use it to collapse Yales security. He has none except for a seemingly impenetrable barrier. I urge you to leave as quickly as possible. I do not think that I will succeed, but I shall try. I have told you my name is Keeper. It is not. When I failed my brother, I made this name for myself.
    I am no Elf. I am no Man. I am Nothing.

The note is not signed, and appears wet in places, as if someone has wept upon it.
    Feel free to catch me on MSN if you ever feel like a chat! You can find me under "ChocolateHeathen (At) Hotmail (Dot) com", most days.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Barbarian in the Playground

Erunak

"Well, that answers a few questions," Erunak says, almost too cheerily, picking up his mace off the table. "What about descendants now?" He starts tossing the mace from hand to hand idly.
    The Tenth Doctor and the TARDIS by Ceika.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

frown Re: Ambulating Artifacts [IC]

Kit:

Kit leans heavily on the table, staring at the note. "I ... I don't understand," he mutters, feeling even more confused than before. "This is all moving so fast!" He yanks the knife from the table and smoothes the note.

"If he's going to confront Yale, that's certain suicide! We should help him, but if we stay here ourselves, we shall too be killed. Then I should say we should carry out our mission, for the Artifact is mixed up in all this, but we have not the information we need to find it. And then last, if we are to leave, we must go at once, or we might find ourselves surrounded by soldiers in the morning. Keeper has bought us time, that should not be wasted.

"Fie! I know not what to do!"
    My Characters:

Spoiler
    Show

Hotaru of The Cube:

5. - Top - End - #95

Erunak

"Well, it seems to me that we're caught between a rock and a hard place. Either we stay and try and foil this Yale character, or we chase after this artifact."

Erunak pauses for a moment: he knows what he has to say, because he's been in Kit's position before, and hates having to do this.

"I think that we can still win the war, but I don't think we can win this battle just yet, Kit. Do we have enough time to seek out whoever knows about the artifact's location?"

6. - Top - End - #96
    Pixie in the Playground

Cristobal feels a sudden surge of pride at being asked to identify the ring.

Maybe the long hours that I spent studying and daydreaming about magical implements and oddities were not in vain.

I'll be happy to take a look at it, Your Highness. Arcane lore is something of an obsession to me.

Cristobal sits down with the ring to study it in more detail (spellcraft +6, knowledge (arcana) +6) He'll take 20 on this.

I would definitely be taking notes about this right now if I had remembered to buy pen, ink, and paper. When I no longer fear imminent death, I shall remedy this oversight.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Lightbulb Re: Ambulating Artifacts [IC]

((OOC: haha!))
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by rovinpiper View Post
    Cristobal feels a sudden surge of pride at being asked to identify the ring.

Maybe the long hours that I spent studying and daydreaming about magical implements and oddities were not in vain.

I'll be happy to take a look at it, Your Highness. Arcane lore is something of an obsession to me.

Cristobal sits down with the ring to study it in more detail (spellcraft +6, knowledge (arcana) +6) He'll take 20 on this.

I would definitely be taking notes about this right now if I had remembered to buy pen, ink, and paper. When I no longer fear imminent death, I shall remedy this oversight.

Kit:

The elf stares down at the note in his hand, turning slightly to address the wizard. "Don't call me that, please. In fact," his mind is turning over the facts again, and he almost feels a bit of hope.

"In fact," he continues, "from this note, can we really be sure that Keeper told us the truth about anything? I have no talent for detecting falsehoods, did anyone think to try?" He frowns again.

"Without being sure, it will be torment to leave here and not know, for sure ... if ... if my family might still live." He looks over at Skaldbakka. "Master gnome, I think you may be the only one of us who can wander the city without being recognized, no one will think twice about you. I would go home if I could, but," he blushes, "I could not hope to do so undetected, and I'm sure the place is being watched. Would you -- could I prevail upon you to ... to check things? If there's the slightest possiblity that they're alive, I would never forgive myself for leaving them in trouble."

He turns back to face the others. "As for the Artifact, I would go to the temple to inquire, but that also is probably being watched, which leaves the Mage's Guild. I've never actually been there, but because of that I don't think anyone will be expecting me to go there.

"Splitting up is not usually considered a good thing in combat tactics, but I'm afraid that our large group would be quite noticeable. There are no walls around the city. If we go in pairs, perhaps we can sneak our way out with no one being the wiser. If, however, they are watching me, perhaps I can draw that attention while the rest of you leave, and we can meet again outside the city. We certainly can't stay here long, we need to be as far away as possible by dawn."

He looked down at the table. "I am sorry, for ... for dragging you into the middle of what appears to be some kind of, er, internal conflict. But," and when he looks up, his face seems to have matured, a hard determination settling there, "I think the King sent me away on purpose. He wanted me to find the Artifact for some reason, and I aim to do just that."
    My Characters:

Spoiler
    Show

Hotaru of The Cube:

8. - Top - End - #98
    Pixie in the Playground

OOC:In the spoiler

Rissit:

Rissit is anxious to get moving. All this inaction is meaking him nervous.
    "So what is it you want us to do. Sneak off into the city now, in pairs. Then meet outside the city, behind the great oak perhaps. What time do you propose we meet.

We can do all this and meet but we cannot leave the area I feel, perhaps we can hide in the woods during the day until we have all we need. It seems there is information we must have. We need to find this twelfth journal and this first piece. I wonder if the ring is the first piece or if the first piece is written in the twelfth journal. Maybe the first piece is something else entirely"

Rissit stops to think, taking this opportunity to grab his weapon from the pile on the table.
    It seems we can use this ring to find who people are, how go your efforts in regard of the ring Cristobal� It would seem the ring may tell us something of Yale, that which we mujst know, and maybe tell us who of we aare descendants. It may even help with discern the author of the note"
    Last edited by plugsy; 2007-09-12 at 12:45 AM.
    I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Pixie in the Playground

Cristobal peers intently at the ring (which for some reason I keep wanting to spell wring). His lips move almost impreceptibly as though he is in prayer or reciting a magical incantation.

Well, I don't know what to say exactly. It is definitely magical. I cannot discern its exact purpose. I believe I will cast detect magic on it in the morning. I doubt that this will clear much up, but it may lay the groundwork for further research.

It would help to have access to a library. I bet there is a good one at the Mage's Guild. Do you think that I could get there without attracting too much attention, umm, what do I call you then, Kit, I guess. I'd like to go.

At least I am short enough to pass for an elf. If only I weren't ugly enough to pass for a gnoll.

Can we get a more specific name for the artifact?

10. - Top - End - #100

((Nazfariels trinket, I believe it was called.))
    Feel free to catch me on MSN if you ever feel like a chat! You can find me under "ChocolateHeathen (At) Hotmail (Dot) com", most days.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Pixie in the Playground

Rissit:

Addresing Cristobal Rissit says
    "Are you short of magic for today that you'd wait to identify the ring. If you think detect magic will help I have the power for today. I don't however see what detecting is going to tell us, apart from the type of magic."

He checks his scroll case
    "We need to cast identify magic, and that is not available for clerics"

Spoiler
    Show

(( or rather he doesn't check his scrolls cause the site I have my sheet stored on is down, or seems to be. I've been unable to access it for well over an hour. I'm not sure what scrolls I have since converting the character ))
    Last edited by plugsy; 2007-09-12 at 09:13 PM.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

"I know my own district pretty well, but I am not that skilled in the subtly department. I amy not be able to find out much information of use without drawing attention to myself. My skills lie more towards getting into places others think secure."
    Aratos Tell
    HP:53/53 AC:19,FlatFooted:16,Touch:13
    Active Effects: Speak w/Animals
    Spells Prepared: Cure Minor Wounds*4, Flare, Calm Animals, Charm Animal, Cure Light Wounds, Animal Messenger, Flaming Sphere, Lesser Restoration, Hold Animal, Cure Mod. Wounds*2, Speak w/Plants

Megiddo
    HP:26/26 PP: 40/40 AC:14,FlatFooted:13,Touch:13
    Active Effects:
    Spells Prepared: Light*2, Burning Hands*2, Protection f/Evil, Magic Missile, Shocking Grasp, See Invis., Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray*2

13. - Top - End - #103
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Kit is preoccupied at the moment, thinking deep thoughts.

((OOC: got a PM from Rettu I'm trying to resolve, bear with me?))
    My Characters:

Spoiler
    Show

Hotaru of The Cube:

14. - Top - End - #104
    Pixie in the Playground

Well, Master Dwarf, I'm not so much short of spells, as I am short of that particular spell. I just haven't prepared it and will need to wait until tommorrow.

My theory is that casting detect magic will tell me the school of magic in play here and that could be something to cross-reference against later, particularly if I can do some library research.

Hey, how long has Keeper been gone. Have we considered going and getting him. You know, intercepting him before he makes his suicidal charge.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Kit:

Kit shakes off his melancholy thoughts at Cristobal's question. "It's too late, Master Hawk," he answers, "Keeper has already gone and attacked this Yale, and our only hope of getting out of this city is to finish the job."
    My Characters:

Spoiler
    Show

Hotaru of The Cube:

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

"Regardless of our long-term plans, it is likely not wise to remain here"
    Aratos Tell
    Spells Prepared: Cure Minor Wounds*4, Flare, Calm Animals, Charm Animal, Cure Light Wounds, Animal Messenger, Flaming Sphere, Lesser Restoration, Hold Animal, Cure Mod. Wounds*2, Speak w/Plants

Megiddo
    Active Effects:
    Spells Prepared: Light*2, Burning Hands*2, Protection f/Evil, Magic Missile, Shocking Grasp, See Invis., Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray*2

17. - Top - End - #107
    Pixie in the Playground

Rissit:

Rissit laughs at Cristobals little joke,
    "Aye, a giant among dwarves indeed, as for the identifying, I can't seem to be able to open my scroll case so it seems we'll have to find somewhere to rest."

Rissit defers to kit as he seems to have become their leader by consent. He asks,
    "So, Kit what are we doing"

[spoiler]
    (( can you other guys using rpgwebprofiler for your characters confirm that it's still missing and that I'm not just doing something wrong ))[/spoi
    Last edited by plugsy; 2007-09-14 at 05:44 AM.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

Tamly

Kit, I would normally agree that we would have to go after Yale, but don't you remember what was written in the journal? If we underestimate Yale, then we may not ever leave the city. I'm sorry, I don't want to let this... monster run the city, but, it seems like our quest for the artifact is eve more important. That's difficult to accept, I know, a large part of me (which is not that large, compared to the sizes of humans and elves) stll wants to help out here, but it doesn't seem like this was intended to be an Anti-Yale party. If what the journal says is both true, and refers to us, then we can't risk our lives against Yale. Yet.
    Last edited by Calamity; 2007-09-14 at 10:21 AM.

Spoiler
    Show
    <NamelessOne> Calamity, you terrify me, and that's saying something.

19. - Top - End - #109

Erunak

"I'm afraid that I'm inclined to agree, Kit," Erunak says. "We should hit the temple for information on the Artifact, perhaps check on your relatives, and then leave as fast as we can."

20. - Top - End - #110

Suddenly, an excited male Elves cry is heard outside.

He's weak, my brothers! Attack! Attack! Attack!

You hear excited crys and whoops, and through the window you see about four Elves hell bent on reaching the royal palace.
    Last edited by Rettu Skcollob; 2007-09-14 at 08:56 PM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

frown Re: Ambulating Artifacts [IC]

Kit:

Solemnly, Kit tucks away the note and buckles on his sword, gathering the rest of his weapons.

"If we are agreed, then we should decide who will go where. Is anyone skilled at disguises who can help me ... er, look less like me?" He glances at Cristobal. "I know it's possible with magic, I don't know about without."

He looks at the rest. "We need to make all possible speed to a place we can hide without detection, or at least stand a reasonable chance of defending ourselves." He presses the heels of his hands to his forehead, eyes closed, trying to remember what he'd been told originally.

"Somebody, or, rather, a group, found the artifact and they triggered some kind of shockwave that our wizarding community felt. Master Hawk, you can possibly use that as a way to gather some information regarding the artifact, the, ah, Artifact of Nazfariel? I think that's what it was called."

He drops his hands, pursing his lips together in determination. "As stealth is called for, I shall carry my armor, bundled as best as can be to decrease the noise. We cannot leave the city the way we came in as the road is probably still guarded, but I think our best chance will be to get back along the road, seek help back at Dappled Fields if it comes to that. If there are wizards there, it is possible that they will know something also."

He sighs. Leaving like this, sneaking away, leaves a bitter aftertaste, but, God will it, he'd be back this way again soon, and then surely there would be a reckoning!

[Edit]

"On second thought," says Kit, "we should help them!" He gestures towards the noise. Then, grabbing his shield and sword, Kit sprints out into the night, following the cry for battle, joining with the crowd, if there is one.

((OOC: you're not halucinating (or if you are, you and I should see the same shrink); I can't access my char sheets, either. Anyone got any news?))
    Last edited by Grrth; 2007-09-14 at 09:13 PM.
    My Characters:

Spoiler
    Show

Hotaru of The Cube:

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Skjald will slip outside into the shadows.

(1d20+8)[9] Hide Check
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects:

23. - Top - End - #113

Erunak

Erunak pauses briefly to mutter something halfway between a prayer for protection and a curse on all elves. Then, he grabs his mace and unslings his shield, and crashes through the door, somewhat past caring at this point.

((Whoo! It's clobberin' time! I think!))

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

*sigh*
    Initiative: (1d20)[6]

My action will be to peg one of the elves with alchemist's fire.

(1d20)[7] Attack Roll vs. touch and possibly also flat-footed.
    (1d6)[5] fire damage
    (1d6)[1] sneak attack damage if applicable.

EDIt- only after a party member does.
    Last edited by Skjaldbakka; 2007-09-14 at 11:02 PM.
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects:

25. - Top - End - #115

Edit: ((Skjald, did you just throw alchemists fire at one of the Elves? They're atacking Yalé you know. Are you sure? Awaiting your reply. :-/ ))

((I'll take that as the group wanting to follow the crowd.))

The crowd sprints to the entrance of the palace. The palace itself is a small affair, but lavishly decorated and gilded with Elven skill. A large iron gate stands barring the way the last few guards have long since left, noticing their masters weakness. The crowd looks nervous, most of them are normal people who got carried away. Many edge away from the entrance. A few of them mutter about how it isn't their job to kill people. A small group of Elves ignores them at moves up to the gate. Four in total, there is a female Elf, dressed in motley robes, an upright looking Elf dressed in cheap mail armour with the symbol of Pelor tattooed across his face, a tall, wary looking Elf dressed in camouflaged leathers, and a small Elf in burnished scale armour, whom you recognize from the entrance. You also remember that you saw these four at the forefront of the crowd through Keepers window. They confer quietly, and then burst through the gate, with the crowd cheering them on. Seeing your armour and weaponry and thinking you to be combat ready as well, they egg you on to enter as well.
    Last edited by Rettu Skcollob; 2007-09-14 at 10:54 PM.

26. - Top - End - #116

((OOC Update))

27. - Top - End - #117
    Pixie in the Playground

((OOC: assuming all hell isn't caused by Skjald starting a fight this will be my action))

Rissit:

Rissit follows the crowd, keeping an eye on Kit to see if he has any last minute changes of mind.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

((OOC: oh lordie, here we go...))

Kit shoulders his way through the crowd and follows the armored elves.

((OOC2: hmm, turns out I don't have what I thought I did, sigh, so it'll be all new - hey, tx, Plugsy, for the dice-rolling thread!))
    Last edited by Grrth; 2007-09-15 at 11:46 AM.
    My Characters:

Spoiler
    Show

Hotaru of The Cube:

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

Tamly reluctantly follows Kit and Rissit.

Spoiler
    Show
    <NamelessOne> Calamity, you terrify me, and that's saying something.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Pixie in the Playground

Cristobal follows with the group trying to stay far from the front, but not at the absolute rear either. He begins to tire quickly. He hasn't done much running while carrying so much equipment. Actually, he hasn't done much running at all.

Hey!...let's slow the charge...down...a notch or... people will start...straggling!

He says, ignoring the fact that he is the only one having trouble keeping up the pace. Within Cristobal weakness battles with fear and, for the moment, fear has the upper hand. He does not want to be separated from the group.

Actions:
    1. Cristobal will cast armor on himself as soon as resistance to the advance materializes.

2. Next he will use grease, acid splash, and his weapons as needed to support the atttack.

3. He'll save monster summoning I for the most serious opposition.