New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 82324252627282930313233
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: In Nomine: Los Angeles (IC)

Khalil nodded while listening to Jerichael not surprised but still concerned at Harry's bringing in a "friend". They'd have to wait and see how this one panned out, he trusted Harry wouldn't willingly put them in any danger.

The explosion of noise passed through Khalil so violently his knees buckled but he kept his footing. The shockwave and sudden righteous fury had his head spinning while Khalil choked down his vessel's urge to vomit. He grabbed the nearest chair and sat down attempting to regain his bearings. He felt outrage and fury burning inside of him and threatening to vaporize any control he had.

He watched the TV with continued effort in keeping his sh*t together. His instincts screamed for him to spread his wings and burst through the roof as fast as he could to the fires. He could even say Gabriel demanded it. Somehow, he stayed put.

Khalil half-listened to Haralambos while thinking of what his next move would be. It was fine and good that Harry was keeping them in the loop but nothing, not even Kaitlin, concerned Khalil more than the corrupted fires of Belial tearing the world apart.

"Yeah... I'm upset I didn't catch on to the surveillance sooner but at least now we know. I have nothing to hide but it's still upsetting... Thanks Harry for the updates but... Judgement and the Triad can climb a tree and practice falling out of it... The rest I leave to you. I'll be asking Solomon to watch over Kaitlin. The Shedim's death sentence will have to wait. Gabriel beckons me to act, I can't ignore the fires any longer I shouldn't have waited this long. I hear her calling me. Is there anything else we need to cover?" Khalil looked at the two Angels expectantly.

2. - Top - End - #962
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

If Haralambos were human at the moment, his face would be crestfallen with shock and sadness. Khalil was leaving, now of all times. As is, a whimper-like coo comes from the pigeon vessel, as he looks towards the fires on the news then back to his friend.

In his tone, his sadness shows, but so does his support.

"Friend, if Gabriel wants you to fight those fires, then of course go. I'm really sad to lose your friendship and power here in the city right now. But I know our Superiors call us to different tasks at times." With a bit more of his usual vigor and joviality, he adds, "I wish you good hunting and good killing, Khalil."

3. - Top - End - #963
    Ogre in the Playground

Khalil sighed, a bit of the urgency he felt melted away in the face of his friend's sadness. "You'll never lose my friendship, your sadness is touching and I appreciate it... But, I'm needed elsewhere. I don't want to leave all this right now, but imagine if the fires reach here? Did we all not just hear the noise? Belial is going completely unchecked, what is next I wonder? I do this in her name and to preserve our works here. Besides, I can always come back in cases of emergency, my friend." Khalil grabbed Haralambos by the shoulder and shook him gently, "I'll be back before long with more great stories to tell you, I expect the same from you." Khalil chuckled as he spoke and then released his shoulder. "Sarah, I hope you can do something with the evidence I've given you. Please keep me in the loop. It'd probably be best if we all took extra precautions in communication though, considering what Harry has told us."

4. - Top - End - #964
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

If the fires reach here... Could Belial's actions be linked to Cassiel or the Five somehow? Regardless, Khalil would do good to fight Belial and save the lives lost to that cacophony.

"Then go with Her blessing, my friend. I hope to kill at least another demon or two by sunrise, so let's trade stories when this settles. I'll try to keep Judgement from doing too much harm while you're away."

Spoiler: edit
    Show

I had put a line about getting the unholy guns to Heaven, but decided to drop it since got enough plates spinning.

original:
    A sudden chirp of shock. "Were you able to destroy those unholy guns? If you haven't, could I take them to Heaven later today? I don't want Judgement finding them in your stuff." With some scorn, he adds, "I don't know how Dominic does what he does as a seraph, but I fear he'd use it against you and Gabriel if they found them."
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2019-12-30 at 11:42 AM.

5. - Top - End - #965
    Ettin in the Playground

Sarah had little time to process the devastating news. Harry soon arrived, with a torrent of revelations. He at least began with something positive. A new Renegade! Sarah had (of course) already met him. She marked this reunion with a friendly wave.

"Hello again! Welcome to the greatest deal of your life."

But that was the only spot of cheer. Harry next divulged that Judgement was being a massive pain: As usual. Sarah got a headache just hearing his description. They were making a move on Inanna now?! Their timing was abysmal! As if things weren't complicated enough. Now she'd been placed in a huge ethical dilemma. Sarah voiced exactly none of these concerns aloud. She just listened diplomatically. Trying to talk Judgement out of this would be a long shot. She'd probably have to settle for mitigating the damage they caused.

Then came another possible redemption. Good news, right? Except the candidate was a Servitor of Magog. Sarah really wanted to believe that every Demon could be redeemed. But some of them really, really tested that faith. Nonetheless, Sarah agreed to Harry's request. This ancient creature deserved a chance to prove itself. Besides, having a marker on Harry might come in handy.

After that came a closing gut punch. Khalil announced that he could remain here no longer. Sarah understood completely. Seeing those fires had horrified her. For a Servitor of Gabriel, the agony must have been unbearable. Khalil had to obey his fundamental nature. Sarah said a fond farewell to her crusading comrade.

"When our Word calls, we must answer. Safe journey, my friend; For you, that is. I imagine your enemies won't be at all safe."

6. - Top - End - #966
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Haralambos gives a mirthful chirp at Sarah's response to Caul. Wait--they'd met before? Oh, right, the spying-session where Sarah met all the demons.

Turning to Caul, Haralambos says, "If you want to hide out here until you break your Heart instead of just skipping town, I reckon Jerechial would let you. Though that's up to him. I can't tell ya what's safer, but I highly doubt The Game would send forces here. For Miss Sarah here geasing you, I mainly just want your promise not to betray us or hurt us with the Five.

Now to what ya know. You said the current demon politics changed a bit since we killed Bethrezen. Is there anyone I should leave alive since they work against The Game? Anyone new in town? Anyone missing, like Baraghur?
    "

With a pause, he adds, "Oh-and, Sarah, did I hear you and one of the new-comers doing something against Madrizel and Blackwater? Caul, any helpful info on their stuff?"

Tink, in the meantime, has with some grumbling curled up on one of the chairs. "Wake me when you're ready to go kill something," she meows.

7. - Top - End - #967
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Katriel

Katriel instinctively clapped her hands to her ears. Not that it would do her any good - the Symphony did not work that way - but she'd spent enough time as both a man and a woma to pick up habits. It was only thank to presence of mind that she managed not to blurt out if Monica had heard anything.

Monica...

Whatever disaster was happening the Mercurian knew she had a duty of care to the poor young woman here, especially if Harkins came back. She sat down on the bed, smiled at Monica and took her hand. 'I'm Katie... or Kat O'Brien if you like. A journalism student. You're in my room, I took you in because,uh, you seemed kinda out of it...' The Mercurian spoke slowly, much more so than normal. She wasn't sure if the girl was even taking this in.

While she spoke she reached out with her Resonance - if she could hear anything at this point.

Spoiler: Resonance!
    Show
    Perception: 8
    (1d6)[1] (1d6)[2]
    Check Digit: (1d6)[1]
    Last edited by RossN; 2020-01-01 at 08:13 PM.

8. - Top - End - #968
    Ogre in the Playground

KATRIEL’S DORM
    3:21 PM

Katriel

It was fortunate that Monica wasn’t attuned to the Symphony like Katriel was. The Mercurian could only imagine what sort of reaction – physiological or emotional – she’d have had to such a raucous noise blasting through her perceptions.

Monica, to her credit, did seem to be doing a little bit better.

Well enough to notice Kat’s own reaction to the Symphonic disturbance.

”Um…that’s…good….” She slurred at Kat’s explanation of where they were presently. ”Are…you…okay? I’m…not too…loud…am I?” Monica asked, eyes half-lidded as she wiped a trickle of partially dried drool from her chin.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Oh wow…that was super close to Divine Intervention!

As Kat opened her perceptions up to the Symphony, the echoes of the noise thundered through her causing distortion and no small amount of discomfort. But the Mercurian was able to focus and move through the noise to find the melodious strain that was unique to Monica.

The young woman was popular. A power forward in the UCLA women’s soccer team, and her second year on the team. She was well liked by most of her peers, but had a bit of a reputation for avoiding dating anyone. Sticking to her guns on the matters of academics and sports.

She didn’t usually even drink, which made her current state all the more concerning.

THE HOWITZER
    3:21 PM

Haralambos, Khalil Dhali and Sarah

When Harry entered, followed soon after by Selena and Caul, many of the patrons – soldiers one and all – stilled noticeably, and more than a few were resting hands on or near concealed weapons.

A Demon in their midst, even one who was potentially a redemption candidate, was still unnerving to many. Especially as they were servants of the Sword.

Caul, to his credit, looked sheepish and uncomfortable – especially being face to face with Sarah again. It was an odd expression to see on his face, for Sarah remembered very well her last encounters with him. Selena offered a blinding smile to Sarah as she pressed a hand against Caul’s shoulder comfortingly and he raised a hand in a tentative wave.

”It’s…I suppose…good to see you again. Considering the circumstances, I’m much happier with this outcome. I could have found myself waking up in Hell next to my heart a couple months from now, after all.” Caul’s words were thick with self-depreciation, and no small amount of sarcasm.

”Sarah.” Selena said, as she slipped past Caul and made her way over to the Bright Lilim. The Mercurian’s arms opened to give Sarah a warm hug, obviously pleased to see her again. ”I’m glad you’re okay. There’s so much going on…” Selena murmured a bit despondently.

After the pleasantries were complete, Caul nervously walked up to the bar and in an uncharacteristically timid voice asked for a pitcher of beer before setting a wad of bills down on the bartop. The bartender simply scowled at him, but went about his business with a modicum of professionalism while Jerichael stood nearby with his arms crossed over his chest and a wary eye on the Demon.

” Well…” Caul said as he carried the pitcher and a glass to a nearby table and settled down with a heavy sigh, ”The **** has really hit the fan on our end. You lot offing Bethrezen has made a lot of people nervous. Last I heard, a lot of the information is still being disseminated so there isn’t any active retaliation in the works. Please, though, take that with a grain of salt. I’ve never been one to be included in too many of the inner workings of the more…combative of my brethren.” Caul offered them a helpless shrug to that while he poured himself a glass of beer and took a deep draught from the glass. He pulled a hankerchief from his pocket and wiped the residual foam from his lips daintily.

”A lot of us are going to be laying low for the next bit, I’m sure. We’ve lost a lot of our heavy hitters lately.” Caul said with a sardonic smile, ”But I heard whispers…mind you, they’re just whispers…that there might be a regime change on the horizon for LA…and…” He leaned in a bit conspiratorily, ”There’s word that we’ve got a new crew in town. They’re pretty violent…I’d venture a guess that they’re coming because of how many of our more militant types are out of commission. Like to array themselves against other warriors. Test their mettle, so to speak.”

While the conversation was going on, Khalil felt a warmth against his cheek. Like the soft-skinned caress of a too-warm hand running along his vessels haggard-looking face.

Khalil….

Soft with an undercurrent of intense heat. Like a volcano beginning to waken after an age of dormancy. Feminine in a way that was just shy of being sinful.

But loving in a co-dependant way that could only come from the maddest of all of God’s Children.
    "Even in these chains, you can't stop me!" - In This Moment, Big Bad Wolf

9. - Top - End - #969
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Listening to Caul, Haralambos is sad that his Resonance failed to land on the demon. He believed him, but the information was so scant as to be nearly useless. Except for a new set of militant demons coming to town. That sounded like a fun challenge, but it made the Seraph even sadder that Khalil was leaving town.

"Regime change. From what I gathered, Asmodeus is trying to take over LA on the demons' front. Caul, anyone in town who'd be particularly against that? I'm hoping to take out a couple demons today, but if there's anyone who'd fight Asmodeus' takeover and the power of whoever he sends... well, I can leave them alive for now and focus on other targets. On a similar note, anybody you could tell me where they live?

There did seem to be a group of people, probably Soldiers of Hell, watching our fight with Bethrezen from a nearby building. So Nephel said.
    "

10. - Top - End - #970
    Ogre in the Playground

Eager to leave but not eager to be left out of the loop, Khalil stayed to listen to Caul. His arms crossed across his chest, fists clenched, Khalil felt the same apprehension as the servants of the Sword around him.

Khalil felt the warm, comforting hand caress his weathered features and Caul's voice became muffled. He closed his eyes and leaned his face into the invisible force affectionately.

Khalil….

Khalil sighed longingly and breathed out the word, "Yes..."

He felt like a raging river of molten rock was rushing underneath the Howitzer, the roar was dull at first but slowly overtook his senses. He felt hot in the face as a spark of desire washed over him, he tried to suppress that feeling. For the sake of diplomacy Khalil would sometimes agree that perhaps Gabriel was a bit eccentric at times, but that was a lie. He didn't see it. She was perfect and he felt elation at the pull of her love, it was good to be needed.

He was dallying, time to go. Khalil had said his farewell to Sarah and Harry and so he opened his eyes and walked away from the conversation, only stopping for a second to pat Jerichael on the arm. Khalil walked to his car, texting Solomon before he got there, [I've been called away on business. Take care of the girl and boy, please. Sorry I didn't say goodbye in person.]. That seemed a bit cryptic but Khalil felt his next undertaking would be just a bit more perilous than usual. Khalil sat in his car and closed his eyes again. He gripped the steering wheel with both hands and pressed his forehead against it. He focused on the memory of the warm hand, he imagined fire in all it's glory and felt his fire within.

How can I serve?

Khalil thought of the infernal instruments in his place of business,

I have... Offerings... I tried to call...

11. - Top - End - #971
    Ogre in the Playground

KHALIL’S CAR OUTSIDE THE HOWITZER
    3:25 PM

Khalil Dhali

Jerichael had offered Khalil a sympathetic nod as the Malakite bade him farewell. It was true of most Angels, but especially so for a Servant of the Sword. When an Angel was called, they would go. The gesture was a sign of respect, camaraderie, and an acknowledgement of Khalil’s duties.

The air outside was chilled from the rain, and by the time Khalil had finished sending a message to Solomon, the car hadn’t heated up overly much.

But at the memory of that heated touch; of Gabriel’s merest presence, Khalil felt the chills banished and warmth suffuse his vessel.

Despite the warmth and the heat, Khalil was met with silence.

It was…unnerving.

In his mind’s eye, Khalil saw a roaring conflagration. The power plant loomed in a perpetual pall of gloom as thick, noxious smoke clouded the sky. The fire rose up and up, as if licking at the very gates of Heaven itself.

And there, against the pyroclastic backdrop, Khalil saw two silhouettes engaged in mortal combat. One was a lithe woman with pale skin and hair that licked and danced like fire itself. A silver trumpet was held in one hand, while the other wielded a spear of molten steel. The other was a beast; barely humanoid, with skin as black as night, but spidery veins of glowing heat spread through the hunched form like lava just beneath the surface of a volcano’s caldera.

Khalil got the distinct impression that this was not, exactly, a true contest. Gabriel and Belial were not actually fighting, persay, in the physical sense.

No….

The Malakite felt the abstract nature of it all in his Heart.

Fire battled Fire. The Symphony would be awash with the Word itself as each holder bent their entire will to the contest.

If Gabriel sought to contain the destruction, then Belial sought to spread it.

The calling Khalil had heard came again.

Insistant, and awash with fury and pain and madness.

THE HOWITZER
    3:25 PM

Haralambos and Sarah

”Yeah, the Game is afoot.” Caul muttered, ”Literally and figuratively. I can’t imagine that Madrizel would be pleased to have Asmodeus nosing in. She and Bethrezen might not have been allies but at least he was content to let her handle her own business.”

The renegade rubbed his fingers across the bridge of his nose with a sigh.

”I’m sure you know where Madrizel hangs out. I don’t really pay much attention to the others when they’re out and about. And there were some of our soldiers watching the fight. I think they’re in service to Sadat. He lost a lot of prestige when his gang got mauled, but he’s a wily one. Might not care about Asmodeus much….so long as he can keep ruling his little gang.”

12. - Top - End - #972
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Haralambos figits, as he often does in this vessel, jumping back and forth. This information is annoying. Useful, but not great. Nobody new to kill... even Madrizel seems on the no-kill list (for now) with that Lilim due to whatever the non-martials were up to. At least this meant he was free to kill that Balseraph of Factions once Tyranael sent the address.

"Well... I guess that's it for me. Caul, thank you for the information. I guess it is good to know about the Soldiers, who they likely belonged to. The rest I mostly already knew, but I appreciate your honesty." Turning towards Jerechial, Sarah, and Selena, he says, "I leave it to you three to decide what's best. Sarah, I recommend -- and he's agreed -- to some geasing to assure he don't betray us, and that he leaves town if we want that. I don't know if we do. Would it be better for him to hide out here -- if you'd allow, Jerechial -- and break his Heart, or get out of town and break it later when the timing seems right?

Time's a-wasting, and I should be out hunting for the Five or hunting for demons. Sarah, did you get the...
    " he pauses about saying this in front of Caul, but he would soon be geased to not betray... "the Compass? Caul told me Korangeth is after one of the Five. If you have time, could we travel together and use it to find him? You save the mortal; Tink and I kill Korangeth. We could stop by the other Renegade on the way if we need to and have time. Not sure if he'd be up for helping me fight Korangeth, but... well, he held his own against me for a little bit. Not strong strong, but decent.

But if ya don't have time... well, not sure what I should do. Speaking of Sadat, I had been considering trying to set up a meet with him at Inanna's. Tell him to stay out of current events or I'll tear his gang to shreds. Michael got me something that lets me kill without making Noise, so... while I don't like the idea of wiping out a room of mortals, I could show up and kill probably most of what's left of his active gang. Or at least maim 'em.
    Hmm.... Jerechial, you know I'm not one for politics or much-thinking. Would it be bad to offer a deal--temporary deal--to Sadat like that? Or would it be better just to try to wipe out his gang and limit his power without talking? You're the coordinator of The War here, so I'd like your opinion.
    "

Tink yawns and purrs. "Time to go hunting, then? Jerechial, not to be rude, but do you have any milk, or maybe Kahlua? I don't need it, but I'd like a drink before I go."

---

As a final note, Haralambos turns to Jason and Jerechial. "Jason, with Khalil leaving, I'm sad that our fight against Garezar will probably be delayed. But I recommend you hang out here. If it happens, we'll likely bring his host here to let him ooze out. And with Tyranael at Mercy's, this place is probably safest for you. Jerechial, not sure of your thoughts on Jason, but Dominic's person gave him a rough deal, but... mind-scried him or something... then trusted him enough to let him come with me. He was eager to help destroy Garezar. That, with Thatch's words, is enough for me. I really hope you'd let him crash here for now."

With a tinny bit of internal embarrassment, Haralambos does say this intentionally at an angle where Sarah and Selena can hear it. Fancy-talking ain't his way, but he supposes Michael wants him to lead, and letting allies know he's an ally is important. He wants them to know he's looking out for Jason.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-01-09 at 11:46 AM. Reason: fix typo; add remark about Factions

13. - Top - End - #973
    Ogre in the Playground

Khalil felt a small pang of frustration at his lady's silence and while unnerving it was not unusual. His lady was fickle, after all.

Khalil took in the scenery in his mind and felt outrage at it. Seeing the two figures fighting made him want to jump out of his skin and to his lady's aid. He acknowledged the vision as symbolic, but the sentiment didn't change.

Gabriel was not interested in the infernal weapons for now, he assumed.

No more time to be wasted, Khalil started the engine and sped off in the direction of the fires...

Spoiler: Original dum-dum post
    Show

He opened the raging furnace in his heart and let the torrents of heat reach to the surface. Khalil's wrinkled skin and clothing burned away to ash and the Malakim of Fire was Immanuel once again.
    Spoiler: Original dum-dum post
    Show

Immanuel left the car, he stretched his arms and shadowy wings towards the sky. The dusky skin on his form, that of a 18-20 year old human, gave off wispy shadows that swirled around him. He crouched and leapt into the air, reaching his full speed and headed towards the fires.
    Last edited by XIII; 2020-01-20 at 06:28 AM.

14. - Top - End - #974
    Ettin in the Playground

Sarah let the conversation wash over her. To the assembled, she'd probably seen fine. But Selena would know differently. Their hug had carried a hidden sense of desperation. Even after it ended, Sarah kept hold of the Mercurian's hand. She drew strength from the contact. It was a weird reflection of their time at Club Babylon. This time, Sarah was surrounded by friends. But their collective needs still had an oppressive weight.

Nonetheless, she kept working her way down the list. What else could she do? Sarah moved towards Caul (still without releasing Selena's hand). She gave him a sympathetic look. Nobody had asked her to Geas Jason, or Selena. So much had changed, in such a short span.

"As Harry said, I'll need a Geas from you. I'm sorry these measures are necessary. But in these dark times, we must have insurance. Do you promise to not betray any Angel, or our allies?"

The question was more than just words. This was a capital 'C' Contract, administered by a Lilim of Trade. Caul would be held to his promise.

Assuming all went well, Sarah could cross off another task. On to the next one! And the next; And the next; And th-stop! Thinking too far ahead is dangerous. Just focus on the next step. That would be Harry's request. This one was very high priority. Sarah, of course, acquiesced.

"I do have it, yes. I'd be happy to help you save another one of the Five."

15. - Top - End - #975
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anyr View Post
    "I do have it, yes. I'd be happy to help you save another one of the Five."
    Haralambos gives a happy coo. "Great! That sounds way better than trying some meeting with Sadat. Jerechial, I'd still like your advice on if I should kill-maim 'em, talk to 'em, or just leave 'em be. I guess Gaspariel did say not to make too much ruckus with the gangs of late... But finding one of the Five and killing Korganeth--that's simple and good."

To Caul (again, assuming no issue with the geas), he adds, "I appreciate you making this movement. Please look up the number for this bar or Mercy's and give a call once you've broken your Heart and, if ya need, when you're ready to become a Mecurian. I'm sure someone could get you in touch with somebody near wherever you are to call an Archangel. I like the idea of working with you eventually, Caul... though I reckon we're end up serving different masters. Stay safe."

Part of him wants to ask Caul for essence in exchange for not killing him and helping him on this path. Sarah and Selena might can use it, too. But a Renegade on the run, with his Heart intact, probably needs it more.

16. - Top - End - #976
    Ogre in the Playground

THROUGH FIRE AND FLAME
    3:26 PM

Khalil Dhali

The little red car wove through traffic as fast as Khalil could manage without attracting the attention of mortal authorities. That wouldn’t have gone over well:

Sorry, Gabriel. I couldn’t come help because I got arrested for speeding well over the legal speed limits.

It didn’t take overly long for Khalil to maneuver his vehicle onto highway five, heading south from Los Angeles to San Diego.

Even as he drove, facing south, he could see the pall of black blanketing the sky above and beyond the normal dreary and dark clouds that had been plaguing the city for the past while.

With each passing moment, Khalil felt the heat in his heart rising from sizzling embers to roaring fire – and like the air being sucked into a flame, he felt himself being practically pulled along.

It almost felt as if Gabriel had her hands on the steering wheel herself, and before he knew it, Khalil was already passing Dana Point and entering San Clemente.

THE HOWITZER
    3:26 PM

Sarah and Haralambos

As Sarah approached Caul, she felt a comforting squeeze on her hand from Selena. The eyes of the newly-minted Mercurian were shadowed with stress and worry, but still sparkled with much more vibrancy. Sarah remembered the haunted, broken look in her eyes when they’d first met.

It seemed like so long ago, and yet…had so little time truly passed?

”A geas? Of course.” Muttered Caul. That wasn’t the sort of thing people took lightly. Mind you, if it would keep him from being sent back to the Pit with gaping wounds from Angelic weapons, then he’d jump through their hoops. The Demon nodded slowly, and extended his hand in offering to Sarah.

”Do I need to do anything special? Or do you just waggle those pretty fingers of yours and the deed is done?”

After, Caul took the information from Harry with a slow nod.

”You know that as soon as I get downstairs they’re going to see the Geas on me, right? Oh man…this is going to suck.” Caul said with a sigh and slumped down into a chair. ”I need a drink…”

Jerichael, to his credit, brought an ice cold bottle of some imported Mexican beer over with a quirked brow for Caul. The Seneschal returned to the bar and upended a small glass saucer of peanuts into the trash. He gave it a quick wipe down, and poured a generous amount of Kahlua into it before sliding it down towards Tink with a small smirk.

There was a solid plan it seemed brewing. Caul was going to go break his Heart and try – desperately – to get back to safety. Jason would remain here at the Howitzer where Jerichael could keep an eye on him. The Balseraph seemed even more sullen and silent than he’d ever been before, and had a distant glazed look in his eyes. Harry noted it had been there since Tyranael had not-gently invaded his thoughts.

17. - Top - End - #977
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

The Musings of War and Seeking a Balseraph's Truth

As Sarah and Selena see to Caul, Haralambos feels as if a weight is off his chest. All this not-killing has been extremely stressful. He recalls once when an angel called him "a mad dog on a leash". It was a meant as an insult, and metaphors are not something seraphs are keen on, but despite that Haralambos had enjoyed the statement. It was simple. Give him a target; he kills target. Simple. Fun.

The negotiations with Famine... urgh. Did he make a mistake? He was trying to protect Morgannin, keep an unknown entity from coming back for revenge later. And he did kill the undead. He killed, maimed, did what War does, as she asked. Just not on Famine. (Well, he did maim him, but the thing got better.)
    Would Michael approve? Was this learning leadership, or getting soft?

With Caul, things seemed more straight-forward. Yeah, would have been faster just to kill him, though there's little glory in killing a weakling like him. This gained intel, valuable intel if it led to killing Korangeth and saving one of the Five. Stronger alliance with Sarah, with Trade, maybe show Selena that War wasn't all killing. And a Renegade of the Media would either eventually be a new angel (so the Seraph hoped) or at least distract the attention of the Media and the Game. Ideally both, the pigeon muses.
    Of this action, he is mostly sure Michael would approve.

Fluttering a bit around, eatting an errant peanut that fell on the ground, his eyes draw near to Jason. A known ally, if still a demon. Worried expression on him. Hmm...

Haralambos slowly flutters down to the renegade and perches gently on his shoulder, activating his Resonance. In relief, he feels a strong connection to the being, perhaps strong enough to pierce even the lies of a balseraph (though Jason, oddly, didn't at least seem to lie often.)
    "Jathiriel, what did Tyranael do to you? Do to us? It was strange; I'd never heard of a power like that."

Seeing Jathiriel's odd demeanor, the pigeon-warrior jumps a touch closer to his ear and states quietly. "Remember what it was like to be a seraph. To see and seek Truth. My Resonance is strong now, and I'd like us to know what he did. Answer so I can see. What did he do to you? To me? To Selena?"

Show
    Note that, with touch, full 6 on Resonance.
    In my most paranoid, I reckon we left the Tether to Flowers in control of a Balseraph of The Game, but I find that extremely unlikely as I got a 6 on checking that Mecurian of Judgement. So unless she (and all the Soldiers with her) were fooled...
    anyway, that's just extremely wild paranoia. But in the 1% chance it turns out to be true, figured I'd mention I had considered it

Before leaving the bar, Haralambos does check with Selena and Caul if either of them know what Korganeth's car looks like.

18. - Top - End - #978
    Ogre in the Playground

Khalil chucked to himself at the thought of using a speeding ticket as an excuse against Gabriel's call. What made him laugh further was the thought that in one of her 'moods', the superior might accept the excuse. The distracting thoughts helped with the welling furnace in his chest being pulled into certain danger.

Joking aside, he couldn't afford to be stopped for a ticket now when every second the fire consumed more and more of creation.

Soon, the thought was directed at Gabriel. He started to worry a bit and mumbled to himself, "What am I even supposed to do when I get there?" Khalil lacked the more advanced and precise methods of controlling fire and absorbing a corrupted, infernal fire could potentially harm him... Even if his power worked on the assumedly corrupted flames, he didn't have nearly enough essence to extinguish this raging inferno. He'd heard limited stories of amazing powers and songs bestowed among Gabriel's servitors. One day...

Think... What to do...
    There was a good chance that the surrounding areas would be evacuated, some sort of cordon maybe although people probably wouldn't need to be discouraged from entering the area. State of Emergency was declared, so FEMA and other agencies have probably set up a command center. Not a bad place to start... Scoring some firefighter and rescue equipment wouldn't hurt to blend in either. Eventually, he'd have to test his resilience to the flames...

19. - Top - End - #979
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Katriel

Katriel shook her head. 'No, you weren't too loud Monica.' She picked up her phone, stepped away and dialed the paramedics, quickly informing them the relevant facts, while obviously leaving out the more angelic and possibly diabolical parts. 'Here, just rest on my bed. I've sent for some help.'

The Mercurians instincts were to follow up the Haskins problem, but she also knew something big had happened somewhere and she might be needed. She hovered uneasily in her own room, waiting for the medics to arrive - at an absolute minimum she wasn't about to leave Monica when she was in this state.

20. - Top - End - #980
    Ettin in the Playground

Sarah found comfort in Selena's presence. She wished the two could stay together all day. They could both use the company. Sarah made the most of what moments were available. She was far from the most beleaguered Celestial here. Caul needed kindness even more. Sarah gently took his offered hand. Her face was a picture of genuine empathy. She knew what Caul must be going through: The fear, the distrust, and the thin sliver of hope. She'd walked a similar path before. Now she could help light the way for others. That sliver could be nurtured, until it became strong enough to lift Caul.

Still, that didn't mean sugar coating the situation. Honesty was the best policy.

"Just willingly offer me the Geas. That's all. And yes, people in Hell will see it. They'll be curious. But who'd ever assume you got it from a Bright? We're so rare, that some Demons don't even think we exist.

Look, you're right. Some of this probably will suck. It did when I was in your shoes. Then, in time, things got so much better. Look at me. Look at Selena. It's like night and day. Prospects must seem so dark to you right now. Just try to remember that the dawn is yet to come.
    "
    Last edited by Anyr; 2020-01-23 at 04:13 PM.

21. - Top - End - #981
    Ogre in the Playground

KATRIEL’S DORM
    3:35 PM

Katriel

It didn’t take overly long for the paramedics to pull up at UCLA; their response time was phenomenal. But before they had arrived, Katriel heard a solid knock on her door and a muffled voice piped through.

”Excuse me? I’m Robert with Campus Health. We received word that there was an ambulance dispatched her and were asked to get an initial assessment out of the way? May we come in?”

Kat knew there were some medical responders on campus, but she had never heard of them being notified an ambulance was on the way nor being asked to assess the situation before they arrived. Most of them, from what Kat had heard, were nursing students looking to make a few extra dollars helping out drunk kids at frat parties.

Monica was resting on Kat’s bed still, her breathing shallow – though still fairly strong. She had the demeanor and breathing of someone who was in that half-state between wakefulness and the oblivion of alcohol or drug-induced sleep.

But Kat’s room was relatively small, and if there was trouble, it wasn’t a good spot to be in.

THE HOWITZER
    3:27 PM

Selena offered Caul a small smile as Sarah spoke to the renegade demon in her soft, warm tone. Caul seemed taken aback by the honest that seemed to drip from her words like morning dew. It was an unusual experience for a renegade who was used to lies and deceit and backstabbing intrigue from each and everyone they knew.

Even friends.

Especially friends.

”Oh…okay.” He said with an uncharacteristic shyness. ”That…that sounds good, actually. I…suppose…” He straightened considerably, and the shyness slid away like a mask to reveal a sly smile.

”I, Caul, servant….EX servant of Hell, offer you a Geas. On my…honor.” At least he seemed to be making a solid effort, and if there was some duplicity in him, Caul’s offer of a Geas would have been incredibly foolish.

While this was ongoing, Jason sat somewhat numbly watching the interactions between the Bright and the Demon. It mirrored his own experiences in some ways – especially with Mercy – but Mercy was making him work for it. Work the Flower Shop. Run errands. Man the cash register. Would his own redemption come sooner or later? He supposed it made a reasonable amount of sense. Jason was….well, he had been more important to the forces of Hell than Caul had been. Maybe even Selena. Not to diminish their own..achievements…but Fate was a much more intricate master to serve.

When Harry landed on Jason’s shoulder, the renegade Balseraph seemed to break from his reverie and offered the pigeon-vessel a wan smile.

”I’m…not really sure. It felt like my skull was a…a piece of fruit. Like an orange, maybe? And..he was peeling me open to see what was inside, layer by layer. I know my old master used to do similar when he felt someone was hiding things from him. But I’ve never known another Celestial – on either side – to have similar skills.”

THROUGH FIRE AND FLAME
    3:45 PM

Khalil Dhali

Even for an Angel, it was something of a surreal experience. The world speeding by the windshield of his little red bug seemed foggy and indistinct. As if he were viewing it through a pool of water. As he drove, the world around him seemed to pass faster and faster and Khalil wasn’t even sure he was driving on the road any longer. He couldn’t feel the vibrations in the car from where the wheels raced across asphalt.

San Clemente passed in a blur, and before he knew it he was in San Diego!

The Heavens worked in mysterious ways, even for a Celestial.

He still had a way to go, but he could see the oily black clouds on the horizon looming like a terrifying monolith of destruction and demonic rage.

Khalil was passing through National City when there was a sputtering cough from his engine and wisps of smoke and steam began to pour out from under the little beatle’s hood. As Khalil maneuvered onto the shoulder of the road, he saw a pair of figured meandering down the highway in his general direction.

The first was wearing a long black wool coat that was snug around his shoulders and his chest. Khalil thought it looked remarkably like the vestments of a priest, save for the distinct lack of a white collar. He was of middling years, with a shaved head and a neatly trimmed beard and mustache.

The other was in low-rider jeans that hugged her hips tightly enough to show the protrusion of her hip bones behind the sun-bronzed skin. She wore a pair of dusty cowboy boots and a far-too-tight leather vest that struggled to contain rather sizable assets. Honey-blonde hair was loose, but obscured by a rather wide-brimmed white cowboy hat as well.

The next think Khalil realized is that they were both smoking. The man was puffing on an old-timey pipe, and she had the stub of a cigar smoldering between ruby-red lips.

As they approached, the man called out.

”Having some trouble, friend?”

22. - Top - End - #982
    Ogre in the Playground

While slightly alarming, Khalil didn’t question the odd way the world passed around his car. He took it as a blessing from his favorite Ophanim. As he drew closer the thick oily smoke from the fires became more and more defined. The sight made his vessel’s stomach churn.

“Ohhhh no.” Khalil groaned as his previous bug began to sputter. “Come on, girl!”
    Khalil pulled off to the side, noticing the two figures at this point. He got out of the car and moved towards the back to pop the engine compartment, full old-man act in effect. The fact that the odd pair were randomly wandering the road where he broke down, with nobody else around, and both were smoking made him wonder at their nature.

He hadn’t exactly been traveling at normal speeds down the highway. Maybe his car couldn’t take the supernatural boost anymore? Maybe he had been intercepted. Maybe these two were here to greet him. Khalil tried to turn off that line of thought and prepared himself for violence.

Assume the worst, hope for the best as he always said. He fiddled with the latch on the back of the car on purpose, letting the strangers draw closer. He fixed his gaze on the man and reached out with his resonance, seeking deeds to judge the nature of the man.

“I-I don’t know! Just started smoking on me!” The plan was to open the engine compartment as his resonance told him what he needed to know of the man. Hopefully the smoke or steam helps him gain the element of surprise should he decide to attack.

23. - Top - End - #983
    Ettin in the Playground

Sarah accepted what was freely given. The Geas entwined itself in Caul's soul. It was a small but significant step in the right direction. She knew that fear and greed played a major role in it. That was fine. So long as some fraction of Caul yearned to be better. Redemption didn't arrive all at once. It took patience and care. Sarah's eyes drifted over to Jason. She wondered how his journey fared. With all the many demands on her time, she couldn't give him much attention. Hopefully Mercy and the others had things in hand. Sarah couldn't do everything at once. She could only trust in her fellow Angels.

24. - Top - End - #984
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Show
    I decided to go ahead and post. Some of the tone might differ depending on exactly what Resonances revealed, but I think the action of "be uncertain, and tell Jerechial" would be the same regardless.

Haralambos pauses a few seconds after the Balseraph finishes speaking, musing both over the words and over the fuller details his Resonance reveals. His feathers ruffle slightly.

Uncertain what to say, he simply says, "It felt different to me. I don't like metaphors. But like my Resonance was... fuller... than usual. Seeing more, knowing more. Hmm..."
    He calls Jerechial over and describes their experience. Both what Haralambos felt and what Jathiriel felt, including what Haralambos' Resonance revealed. (With the necessary pauses to explain who Tyranael is, why he is town, and that he is/was at Mercy's. Fortunately, Jerechial is used to piecing together Harry's ravings.) The Seraph wasn't sure what to make of this, but it definitely seemed a complex thing worth sharing with the Seneschal.

"So, Jerechial, have you ever heard of things like this?"

---

Slowly lapping up her Kahlua, Tink gives a bored and apathetic look at the goings-on in the room. So, besides being on the bar table, she looks like a typical cat.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-03-12 at 11:19 AM.