New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Augment Summoning for Master of Shrouds?

The Master of Shrouds is a PrC that gains the ability to summon shadows and wraiths. One of the prerequisites is Augment Summoning.

Does this feat actually serve any mechanical purpose for a summoner of shadows? Augment Summoning gives a +4 to Str and Con for summoned creatures…but shadows have no Str and no Con, so it doesn’t seem to serve a purpose.

Is there some benefit that I’m missing? Or is this a case of pure feat tax with zero practicality?

Last edited by Palanan; 2018-03-25 at 09:01 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Augment Summoning for Master of Shrouds?

As far as the PrC goes, yeah: it's dead-weight.

For your character as a whole, though, it's got some utility.

The primary benefit is that you're also a Cleric who can cast summon monster spells.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Ask your DM if Beckon the Frozen feat (Frostburn) will work for Summon Undead

Also, Alienist PrC required Augment Summoning; try to ask your DM, if Summon Alien will work for Summon Undead; point to the Madreus - the original Alienist from The Gates of Firestorm Peak:
    Because Madreus is an Alienist, his conjuration and illusion spells exclusively summon and imitate creatures of the Far Realm. For example, when he casts a summon shadow spell, the resultant creature, while having the same stats as a shadow normally summoned by the spell, will appear as the shadow of a tentacled horror.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Nifft
    The primary benefit is that you're also a Cleric who can cast summon monster spells.
    Fair enough, although this will be for a low-level build, when summoned monsters aren’t great regardless. The build is also aimed at MoS, so not much help for incorporeals.

I can live with one feat as tax, but two really does seem excessive. Is there another feat that would be more useful for enhancing incorporeal undead?

Originally Posted by ShurikVch
    Also, Alienist PrC required Augment Summoning; try to ask your DM, if Summon Alien will work for Summon Undead; point to the Madreus - the original Alienist from The Gates of Firestorm Peak….
    Good catch, and a nice tidbit of game lore there. I hadn’t realized the Alienist went back to AD&D.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I believe a cleric domain happens to grant Augment Summoning; In libris mortis there are several feats that enhance undead under your control (not just ones that you have created) which would include shadows. It grants a straight bonus to damage which is scary on Shadows.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    I feel like telling the ghost of Gary Gygax to hold your beer is a good way to suddenly stop being the GM, but I have to admit that this would probably be remarkably effective. At what, I dunno, but effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    I am continually astounded by how new you are here in contrast to how impressive your mind is.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Falontani View Post
    I believe a cleric domain happens to grant Augment Summoning; In libris mortis there are several feats that enhance undead under your control (not just ones that you have created) which would include shadows. It grants a straight bonus to damage which is scary on Shadows.
    Dragon Below domain from Eberron grants Augment Summoning as a bonus feat.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Falontani
    Is it the domain that grants the bonus to damage, or one of the feats? I can’t tell what the “it” refers to here.

Also, just to clarify, I’m not looking for alternative ways to get Augment Summoning; I’m wondering if there’s another feat that’s more appropriate to MoS that could be used as a prerequisite in place of Augment Summoning.

Last edited by Palanan; 2018-03-26 at 03:33 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Is it the domain that grants the bonus to damage, or one of the feats? I can’t tell what the “it” refers to here.

Also, just to clarify, I’m not looking for alternative ways to get Augment Summoning; I’m wondering if there’s another feat that’s more appropriate to MoS that could be used as a prerequisite in place of Augment Summoning.

Quote Originally Posted by Libris Mortis
    NECROMANTIC PRESENCE
    [GENERAL]
    Undead you control are harder to turn when they are near you.
    Benefit: Whenever undead you control are within 60 feet of you, they gain a +4 bonus to their turn resistance.

NECROMANTIC MIGHT [GENERAL]
    Undead you control gain benefits when they are near you.
    Prerequisite: Necromantic Presence.
    Benefit: Whenever undead you control are within 60 feet of you, they are physically inspired by your necromantic aura, and gain a +2 enhancement bonus on their attack and damage rolls.
    Feats, sorry for the confusion
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    I feel like telling the ghost of Gary Gygax to hold your beer is a good way to suddenly stop being the GM, but I have to admit that this would probably be remarkably effective. At what, I dunno, but effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    I am continually astounded by how new you are here in contrast to how impressive your mind is.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks for posting those, just what I'm looking for.

Would it be fair to swap out the listed prerequisites for Master of Shrouds, and replace them with Spell Focus (necromancy) and Necromantic Presence instead?