New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Girl Genius XXIII: Screaming, Ranting and Egregious Violence

someone in the background looks happy, like he barely got away with his life.
    * my emphasis

http://dmreference.com/SRD/
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Things that don't kill me make me strong
    Things that do kill me leave me dead

2. - Top - End - #242

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    If you've been revising constantly for weeks, does that mean you've grown a nice bear-d?
    I've never been one to panda to society's expectations of personal appearance.

3. - Top - End - #243

So you've gotten a little grizzly?

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ettin in the Playground

Back on topic, it seems that SOMEONE doesn't like Dr. Dim...
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Unbearable as it is to not join in on the ursine jokes, things are about to get grizzly. Albia's arctic* tones shifted us to the polar opposite of what we expected. I am not pandaing to the crowd when I say we are about to see a big hulla-Baloo. It's going to be a Kodiak moment, if you know what I mean. The almost teddyously easy going queen will wake up from hibernation, like an angry, mama bear. These are real plot complications and not just paddington to draw it out.

Bear with me. It's as big an upset as the Cubs winning the World Series but, what we thought was a simple, honey of a story--Krosp coming to see Agatha--has turned into a real bugbear of a problem. Krosp may be smarter than the average bear, but he has made a big Boo-Boo with his plans.

Excuse me, I need to go practice some Yogi and maybe eat a picnic basket to calm myself down. Maybe, after, I'll be ready for the Jambearee.

Also, don't anyone say I'm only Winnie-ing and Pooh-poo the idea.

*"Arctic" comes from the Greek word for bear, because North was under the constellation of the bear (I mention this because no bad pun should go unpunished).
    Last edited by Ellen; 2018-05-08 at 11:36 PM.

6. - Top - End - #246

BlackDragon

"Food lady"?
    "Three years"?
    That's a cat for you.
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    "Food lady"?
    "Three years"?
    That's a cat for you.
    I was going to say the power went to his head, but yeah being a cat doesn't help either.

And I guess whoever's reacting so strongly to Vapnoodle, it's not good for our heroes.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

8. - Top - End - #248

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    I was going to say the power went to his head, but yeah being a cat doesn't help either.

And I guess whoever's reacting so strongly to Vapnoodle, it's not good for our heroes.
    Mostly likely Albia. You know she's listening in on all of this.

9. - Top - End - #249

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    "Food lady"?
    "Three years"?
    That's a cat for you.
    or is it the Foglios lapshading the time since his last appearence?
    * my emphasis

http://dmreference.com/SRD/
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Things that don't kill me make me strong
    Things that do kill me leave me dead

10. - Top - End - #250

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    Unbearable as it is to not join in on the ursine jokes, things are about to get grizzly. Albia's arctic* tones shifted us to the polar opposite of what we expected. I am not pandaing to the crowd when I say we are about to see a big hulla-Baloo. It's going to be a Kodiak moment, if you know what I mean. The almost teddyously easy going queen will wake up from hibernation, like an angry, mama bear. These are real plot complications and not just paddington to draw it out.

Bear with me. It's as big an upset as the Cubs winning the World Series but, what we thought was a simple, honey of a story--Krosp coming to see Agatha--has turned into a real bugbear of a problem. Krosp may be smarter than the average bear, but he has made a big Boo-Boo with his plans.

Excuse me, I need to go practice some Yogi and maybe eat a picnic basket to calm myself down. Maybe, after, I'll be ready for the Jambearee.

Also, don't anyone say I'm only Winnie-ing and Pooh-poo the idea.

*"Arctic" comes from the Greek word for bear, because North was under the constellation of the bear (I mention this because no bad pun should go unpunished).
    *snif* This post is a work of art.

Vapnoople looks so happy in this last panel.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by geoduck View Post
    Mostly likely Albia. You know she's listening in on all of this.
    My first bet is Klaus. He's watching inside the head of Gilgamesh, and is the one who originally did that to Vapnoople. I'm guessing he isn't pleased that Krosp stole him away.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Food lady!

Her imperial majesty is displeased by Dr. Dim on her shores.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

13. - Top - End - #253
    Halfling in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    My first bet is Klaus. He's watching inside the head of Gilgamesh, and is the one who originally did that to Vapnoople. I'm guessing he isn't pleased that Krosp stole him away.
    Aye, my first bet is him also. I doubt that Albia would react like that. from what we have seen.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

I think it could be Tarvek. He knows Dr. Dim used to work for Tweedle.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Agreed. My money is on Klaus, as well. Not only was Vapnoodle already a terrifyingly dangerous Spark (far more so than even Klaus guessed), Klaus must have gathered some intel on Agatha's circle by now. The fact that her first and most steadfast ally is a Vapnoodle original and built to be the leader of the previously unknown uberbears... Klaus's threat assessment of Vapnoodle must have just gone up an order of magnitude at the very least. I mean, holly hits, "Dr. Dim" single-handedly created the means that let Agatha not just survive but thrive, and then just armed her with a force of constructs even the Jaegers are uncomfortable fighting! If she goes rogue now, her mother would be a positive treat to deal with in comparison!

And to make matters worse, the clues were there! Klaus had to know about the stuffed bears. He'd probably be intrigued as to what quality fabrication a former Spark would be capable of. Yet Dim treated those blasted stuffed bears like they were some sort of treasured secret. Of course there was more to it, by Klaus just assumed that Vapnoodle's threat died with his Spark. The thought that he never intended to be the one in command of his creations seems antithetical to everything we know about Sparks, after all. But, still, how could he missed it?!

So, yeah. Declaring Dr. Dim as Krosp's daddy would probably result in a minor Wulfenbach rampage. A defused Spark becoming instrumental in his worst nightmare becoming fully realized? Yeah, I'd be yelling, too.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Agi Hammerthief View Post
    or is it the Foglios lapshading the time since his last appearence?
    Has it been three years irl since Krosp was in the comic?

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    (far more so than even Klaus guessed)
    I'm not disagreeing that the bears aren't a dangerous creation, but is there anything beyond that that makes him specially more dangerous? I have this vague recollection of some expanded back story in the books, but can't quite put my finger on it.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

18. - Top - End - #258

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    I think it could be Tarvek. He knows Dr. Dim used to work for Tweedle.
    Other way around. Tweedle studied under Vapnoodle.

19. - Top - End - #259

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    I'm not disagreeing that the bears aren't a dangerous creation, but is there anything beyond that that makes him specially more dangerous? I have this vague recollection of some expanded back story in the books, but can't quite put my finger on it.

Grey Wolf
    Remember the Lakya? They needed a master to function. The Jaegers prefer having someone to give orders, but they also used to be human. My understanding is that creating an intelligent construct that doesn't need a master is a symptom of a very powerful spark. Dr Vapnoople created Krosp and the bears, and probably waged a (mostly successful) war of conquest across Bavaria.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Grey Wolf
    What I meant was that Klaus didn't know about the bears, or Krosp. Dim was enough of a terror that Klaus was willing to lobotomize him without knowing about any of that. I personally haven't read any of the books, so I can't comment on their relevance. The point still stands that Klaus never took his bears seriously, or the feline stowaway. Now both are alligned with someone Klaus considers the greatest threat walking Europa while dragging the person responsible for them beyond his reach. That said, the bears are enough to make Dimo flat out tell everyone to simply run. Anything that scares a Jaeger is worth being scared of.

That said, I would reiterate that Dim set this up so that Krosp would be their leader. Krosp, not Dim. Sparks don't do that. Remove a Spark, their support base crumbles under its own weight, that's how it works. I mean, there are exceptions. The Heterodynes have always lead by example, not by force, so their creations tend to be autonomous. Naturally, Agatha follows suit with her self-directing, self-replicating dingbots. But the Heterodynes are always the exception.

And, beyond anything else, there's Krosp. Krosp has been vital again and again to Agatha's survival and success, as a spy and a tactician and simply as a confidante. Forget the bears, that cat is the most detrimental thing Dim has done to the Wulfenbach regime.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

21. - Top - End - #261

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Fey View Post
    Has it been three years irl since Krosp was in the comic?
    Last seen May 2015. It's been almost exactly three years.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Grey Wolf
    Should be enough info on the wiki http://girlgenius.wikia.com/wiki/Dimitri_Vapnoople
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

23. - Top - End - #263

SamuraiGuy

Should be enough info on the wiki http://girlgenius.wikia.com/wiki/Dimitri_Vapnoople
    If his creations are more loyal to him than the Jagers are to Clan Heterodyne - well, that could pose a problem. And Agatha ought to wonder whose side Krosp is on, if Vanoople were to give him an order.

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

So, he's the original mind behind the Sparkhounds. And his creations were actually loyal to him to the point that they had to be exterminated rather than recruited. And it took a three year campaign to bring him down. Yeah, I can see why he was a prime candidate for Klaus's spark research.

Adds all the more credence to Klaus's outrage, though. It took 3 years to defeat Vapnoodle and he wasn't even using his ace in the hole. Seriously, the guy must have been a terror.

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    If his creations are more loyal to him than the Jagers are to Clan Heterodyne - well, that could pose a problem. And Agatha ought to wonder whose side Krosp is on, if Vanoople were to give him an order.
    His original creations were, yes. The bears revere him as their father but were designed to follow Krosp and Krosp chooses to side with Agatha. As Dr. Dim, Vapnoodle is no longer in a state to be a leader and none of his remaining creations are coded to follow his orders anyway.

I don't think it would go wrong unless Agatha decided to harm Dim. And it's not in her nature to attack harmless old brain-damaged men. She's more likely to protect him, which would only solidify their allegiance to her.
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2018-05-09 at 03:32 PM.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

25. - Top - End - #265

SamuraiGuy

So, he's the original mind behind the Sparkhounds. And his creations were actually loyal to him to the point that they had to be exterminated rather than recruited. And it took a three year campaign to bring him down. Yeah, I can see why he was a prime candidate for Klaus's spark research.

Adds all the more credence to Klaus's outrage, though. It took 3 years to defeat Vapnoodle and he wasn't even using his ace in the hole. Seriously, the guy must have been a terror.

His original creations were, yes. The bears revere him as their father but were designed to follow Krosp and Krosp chooses to side with Agatha. As Dr. Dim, Vapnoodle is no longer in a state to be a leader and none of his remaining creations are coded to follow his orders anyway.

I don't think it would go wrong unless Agatha decided to harm Dim. And it's not in her nature to attack harmless old brain-damaged men. She's more likely to protect him, which would only solidify their allegiance to her.
    I am not certain that the bears are loyal to Krosp over Vapnoodle. Krosp is the Master, but Vapnoodle is the Creator. It seems implausible that a Spark, any Spark, would create minions that were loyal to someone else. It's doubly unlikely that a Spark whose first set of minions were fanatical unto death would forgo that the next time around.
    Hypothesis: Dr. Dim has a code word that, when spoken, transfers loyalty from Krosp to him. That would be very Sparky IMNHO.
    I agree that Agatha won't attack Dr. Dim - unless someone manages to set it up so that she has to, or so that it appears that she did. Scheming Sparks, are scheming.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

I dont think its the Baron yelling. He dont have enough of a reason to do so.
    He usually have a decent reign on his temper for a spark. And Doctor Vapnoodle is a foe beaten so soundly that he fell and became a janitor.
    Klaus is to pragmatic to react like that.
    Is more likely Albia yelling. Perhaps she knew Vapnoodle?
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

27. - Top - End - #267
    Colossus in the Playground

What I meant was that Klaus didn't know about the bears, or Krosp. Dim was enough of a terror that Klaus was willing to lobotomize him without knowing about any of that. I personally haven't read any of the books, so I can't comment on their relevance. The point still stands that Klaus never took his bears seriously, or the feline stowaway. Now both are alligned with someone Klaus considers the greatest threat walking Europa while dragging the person responsible for them beyond his reach. That said, the bears are enough to make Dimo flat out tell everyone to simply run. Anything that scares a Jaeger is worth being scared of.

That said, I would reiterate that Dim set this up so that Krosp would be their leader. Krosp, not Dim. Sparks don't do that. Remove a Spark, their support base crumbles under its own weight, that's how it works. I mean, there are exceptions. The Heterodynes have always lead by example, not by force, so their creations tend to be autonomous. Naturally, Agatha follows suit with her self-directing, self-replicating dingbots. But the Heterodynes are always the exception.

And, beyond anything else, there's Krosp. Krosp has been vital again and again to Agatha's survival and success, as a spy and a tactician and simply as a confidante. Forget the bears, that cat is the most detrimental thing Dim has done to the Wulfenbach regime.
    The next comic after that just demonstrates it. They casually send him flying with a "meh, jeager" Showing they are so much stronger than jaegers that they are barely worth noticing in a fight.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

28. - Top - End - #268

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    The next comic after that just demonstrates it. They casually send him flying with a "meh, jeager" Showing they are so much stronger than jaegers that they are barely worth noticing in a fight.
    And later they find Dimo lying in the snow, unconscious. A creature that can casually one-shot Dimo is something to be feared.

29. - Top - End - #269

I contributed to the writing of that article on the GG wiki, and it should be remembered that all of this comes from the print-novel version of the story, and so should be considered semi-canonical at best. But nothing we've seen in the comic contradicts it, either. If it is true in the comic as well, then of course Albia will have heard of this guy, and know what he was capable of.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh gracious, I had forgotten about that The Whiteboard Doc Nickel reference with that doctor bear