New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Is Hilgya Chaotic Evil or Chaotic Neutral? (Or Lawful Good?)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Weirdo View Post
    Reiterating that a right not to be married is more important than a lawnmower, it still is your lawnmower and he stole it. When he did, he took the risk of you getting it back.
    Yes, this is a very good representation of what an Evil character might say to justify their actions. Good job!
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #362
    Bugbear in the Playground

Something to add to this whole lawnmower-wall thing... if it's a load-bearing part of his wall, then he likely didn't just steal your lawnmower. Taking into account the construction time alone, it's been months, at least, since he originally took your mower. That means you never bothered to go to court, can live without the mower, and probably don't really have much of a claim on it as property anymore... and if you did need a mower, you've probably already replaced it. What's more than likely happened now is that you've gone a long time without your mower, walked by this guy's house, and noticed a familiar piece of material. Guy's inside and could die? So's his family? Screw that, you've got a long-gone mower you want back. You jerk.

In other words, digging up old grudges to fit a petty need at some else's very significant detriment. Evil.
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2018-04-10 at 02:17 PM.
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

[Nexus characters, grouped by setting:
    Ouroboros: here
    Maesda: here
    Others: here
    ]

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Nah.

I don't have currently-stolen load-bearing property. And the courts are Lawful.

Now, I have to leave for a while. You kids behave.
    Don't know why we started talking about lawnmowers. Was Hylgia forced to marry one?

That said, go ahead and reinforce your headcannon that Hylgia is not Evil because she was wronged, despite the Flaming Letter-esque signs she gives she is Evil and was wronged (not mutually exclusive, you know). That's what headcannon is meant for: to rebuild only in our heads something of the original story that we disagree with.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

4. - Top - End - #364
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ironsmith View Post
    (10 years later:)

Kudzu: I didn't ask to be born, mom! *runs off with family fortune*
    That is one precocious ten-year-old. Then again he is already tuhninh Undeh before turning 1 so he really is precocious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Nor should they be. Corporate attorneys dealing with business law, state prosecutors in criminal law, criminal defense attorneys, and then divorce attorneys? They have many hats.
    ETA:
    I prefer their boot.
    So, why don't we expand that view into other cases?

Guy steals your car; he'll starve if he can't sell it. You let him sell it or you're a murderer, then?

Never mind that a right to bodily autonomy is infinitely more important than a lawnmower and that bankrupting those neanderthals isn't really as serious as dropping a house on someone. Where does it end?
    Those are dwarfs. Don't use Neanderthal as an insult they never did anything wrong to you.
    Well, it's your car, it's your lawnmower, it's her body and right not to be married.

She doesn't have to care what it'll do to her clan - to the very clan that oppressed her or at least allowed it.
    Yes she has. Since, you know, she's the one doing it. Her clan's failings do not excuse hers.

No, gravity did after you relocated an item that is very much yours and that shouldn't have been there by any rights in the first place.
    "Your honor, I didn't murder that woman, I just lightly pushed her. That she fell 100 meters into the sea was not my oing but gravity's. I suggest your order gravity to be put under house arrest immediately."

Regardless, the other comparison is also inept, because the right not to be married is more important than a lawnmower.
    That wasn't a comparison. A comparison would have been "It is just as bad as if she did it over a lawnmower."
    That was an analogy: explain a your opinion on a principle by transposing it to another context and such keeping only what is germane to it. The point that Sgt_Dubie was making is that making someone who took something that belongs to you suffer when you alredy can get that something back without the suffering is evil. That is true for lawnmowers, right to celibacy and Xynhulpangs of XXVIIIth Mporknlu dynasty of the planet Looomrghhadu.
    And if he had built a sturdier house or not used your lawnmower as construction material, he wouldn't be under the rubble, now would he?
    "Your honor, when I saw the victim swimming up from a dive, I did held his head underwater but really if he had taken a longer breath before diving he wouldn't be dead, now would he? Surely this absolves me."
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Titan in the Playground

Inept comparison (aside from the wronging not being perceived by any measure, instead being very real).

The right includes living in the Dwarven Lands and, in order to see that right respected with certainty, she had to bankrupt her clan.

So it's more like:

You see that he's using your lawnmower as part of a load-bearing wall for his house (let's pretend this makes sense in engineering).

He and his family are in his house.

You remove the semi-load-bearing lawnmower and run away before the house collapses.

House goes down. Not your problem.

And it is your lawnmower.

And it's his own fault for using your lawnmower instead of some old pipes or whatever.
    And that's 100% escalating theft to murder. Not only would literally every nation punish for this, but in all likelihood your neighbors or any survivors would seek to do so as well. Even random bystanders would.

And I think that's a big point in this. Just because someone has wronged you doesn't mean you're justified in doing anything back to them. At best, you're justified in taking whatever action needed (no needed doesn't mean expedient, easy, or quick) to correct the situation.

So you'd be justified in demanding your lawnmower back, even if it meant his house collapsing. But not immediately. It'd have to wait until after no one was inside, and even after they get a chance to get their stuff out of the house as well.

In Hilgya's case? She's justified in breaking off the marriage. She's justified in seeking the removal of her clan's power (as they are pretty Evil themselves), and if Ivan had ever tried to have sex with her, she'd be justified in using force to prevent that from happening.

And honestly, bankrupting the clan isn't a bad way to go about removing her clan from power. If that had been Hilgya's only act, I'd certainly think she's Chaotic Neutral. Her Evil comes from the rampant murder attempts/plots. There's even a good version of Bankrupting the Clan.

Good Version: She bankrupts the clan, but uses the money to support other innocents in the clan so they don't suffer from the fall of the evil relatives.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Bugbear in the Playground

"He took my lawnmower, so I killed his whole family. Along with anybody else who happened to be in the building. Didn't check, really."

—totally not evil, per Weirdo

Riiiiight.
    Last edited by Fish; 2018-04-10 at 04:01 PM.
    The Giant says: Yes, I am aware TV Tropes exists as a website. ... No, I have never decided to do something in the comic because it was listed on TV Tropes. I don't use it as a checklist for ideas ... and I have never intentionally referenced it in any way.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Dear The_Weirdo,

The company I work for didn't pay my fees in time, making it difficult for me to provide for my family and house staff. Can I threaten to kill the daughter of their bookkeeper so she'll pay me in time?

Best regards,

Corneel

8. - Top - End - #368
    Ogre in the Playground

At some point, we need to ask ourselves: would we engage e.g. Tarquin in a lengthy debate about ethics?
    ungelic is us

9. - Top - End - #369
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hroþila View Post
    At some point, we need to ask ourselves: would we engage e.g. Tarquin in a lengthy debate about ethics?
    On this forum? Probably.
    We don't need no steeeenkin' signatures!

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ogre in the Playground

If you were somewhere he couldn't "Win" by stabbing you or sending troops to round you up? Yeah people totally would.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

11. - Top - End - #371
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    If you were somewhere he couldn't "Win" by stabbing you or sending troops to round you up?
    For example, an online message board? I think the evidence speaks for itself.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Now, now. How dare you call me Lawful? I never did anything to you!

Quote Originally Posted by Corneel View Post
    Dear The_Weirdo,

The company I work for didn't pay my fees in time, making it difficult for me to provide for my family and house staff. Can I threaten to kill the daughter of their bookkeeper so she'll pay me in time?

Best regards,

Corneel
    If you haven't been paying attention, I'd suggest taking a piece of work hostage and then double-crossing them. Morality is irrelevant in face of what the Thin Blue Line might do to you re: daughters, but you'd certainly not be arrested for tricking them the way I did the agency...
    Last edited by The_Weirdo; 2018-04-10 at 06:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Weirdo... I'm not sure you're entirely clear on how an 'alliance' works.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    For example, an online message board? I think the evidence speaks for itself.
    That WAS the implication I was going for, yes.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

14. - Top - End - #374
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

That WAS the implication I was going for, yes.
    Now, now. I'm not a tyrant.
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?

15. - Top - End - #375
    Titan in the Playground

Morality is irrelevant in face of what the Thin Blue Line might do to you
    I hope you are having fun, but you aren't making sense.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

16. - Top - End - #376
    Ogre in the Playground

Now, now. I'm not a tyrant.
    You seem VERY willing to quash everyone else's freedoms in the name of yours and the characters you like.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

You seem VERY willing to quash everyone else's freedoms in the name of yours and the characters you like.
    Nah. Just the clans that started it.

To use Overwatch as a reference: think Junkrat, not Symmetra's bosses.

In short: Evil or not, Lawful I ain't (and I'm proud of it).
    Last edited by The_Weirdo; 2018-04-10 at 10:27 PM.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

No, gravity did after you relocated an item that is very much yours and that shouldn't have been there by any rights in the first place.
    I didn’t kill him. I just shot him. It was the massive blood loss caused by the bulletthat killed him...

Now let’s examine the part about her having the right to live in her Dwarven lands... no, she does not. Nations can and do exclude people from living in them all the time. Besides, even if she did have some weird right that allows her to settle In whatever place suits her fancy... did she accomplish this by bankrupting her clan for no other reason than revenge? I’d think that kind of act would make her even less welcome by the dwarves...
    I Am A: Neutral Good Human Ranger (6th Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15
    Dexterity-15
    Constitution-15
    Intelligence-14
    Wisdom-14
    Charisma-13

http://www.easydamus.com/character.html

What Kind of Dungeons and Dragons Character Would You Be? courtesy of Easydamus

19. - Top - End - #379
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt_Dubie View Post
    Now let’s examine the part about her having the right to live in her Dwarven lands... no, she does not. Nations can and do exclude people from living in them all the time.
    For not wanting to marry someone?

And again: she needed to bankrupt them (they deserved it, anyways) in order to expedite her divorce.
    Last edited by The_Weirdo; 2018-04-10 at 10:31 PM.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

And again: she needed to bankrupt them (they deserved it, anyways) in order to expedite her divorce.
    You keep confusing "need" with "want because it's easier."

Also, I can't help but not that you are very adamant about your very specific code. Close-mindedness, reactionary adherence to your belief, judgmentalness, lack of adaptability... that all sounds really, really Lawful to me.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2018-04-10 at 10:40 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

21. - Top - End - #381
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

People don't have a right to expeditious paperwork.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Also, I can't help but not that you are very adamant about your very specific code. Close-mindedness, reactionary adherence to your belief, judgmentalness, lack of adaptability... that all sounds really, really Lawful to me.
    I'm Lawful about being Chaotic. Comes from an environment that is/was Chaotic about being Lawful.

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    People don't have a right to expeditious paperwork.
    She always had a right not to be married to Ivan. Ergo, she has a right not to wait not to be married to Ivan.
    Last edited by The_Weirdo; 2018-04-10 at 10:48 PM.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Titan in the Playground

I dunno...given that the two clans apparently had the means to force Hilgya into a marriage recognized by law in the first place, it's not that hard for me to believe they could trivially sustain that marriage in the face of legal proceedings if they so chose.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

24. - Top - End - #384
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    I dunno...given that the two clans apparently had the means to force Hilgya into a marriage recognized by law in the first place, it's not that hard for me to believe they could trivially sustain that marriage in the face of legal proceedings if they so chose.
    The banana makes a valid point and I'm not hungry, so I won't eat it!

25. - Top - End - #385
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

For not wanting to marry someone, for not having a red beard, for not filling out the right forms at the border crossing, for not buying a purple cowboy hat to wear on sundays... if your not willing to play by whatever rules the society you want to settle in makes, that society can exclude you. Deportation and exile are very real punishments for not playing the game.
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15
    Dexterity-15
    Constitution-15
    Intelligence-14
    Wisdom-14
    Charisma-13

26. - Top - End - #386
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

For not wanting to marry someone, for not having a red beard, for not filling out the right forms at the border crossing, for not buying a purple cowboy hat to wear on sundays... if your not willing to play by whatever rules the society you want to settle in makes, that society can exclude you. Deportation and exile are very real punishments for not playing the game.
    Revolutions and reigns of terror are also very real punishments for societies that went immoral or insane.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

I'm Lawful about being Chaotic. Comes from an environment that is/was Chaotic about being Lawful.

She always had a right not to be married to Ivan. Ergo, she has a right not to wait not to be married to Ivan.
    She had a right to not participate in the marriage. A right she excercised by walking away (after her Attempted murder). I don’t see how she has a right to speedy paperwork.
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15
    Dexterity-15
    Constitution-15
    Intelligence-14
    Wisdom-14
    Charisma-13

28. - Top - End - #388
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

She had a right to not participate in the marriage. A right she excercised by walking away (after her Attempted murder). I don’t see how she has a right to speedy paperwork.
    She shouldn't have to walk away.
    She shouldn't have to have any paperwork done at all!
    And this isn't speedy paperwork, it's not being married to someone.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

I shouldn’t have to pay the parking ticket I received in the parking spot I pay for... I’ll just beat up every meter maid I see and rob all the parking meters in town... I mean why file the paperwork to contest it. I shouldn’t have the ticket in the first place after all
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15
    Dexterity-15
    Constitution-15
    Intelligence-14
    Wisdom-14
    Charisma-13

30. - Top - End - #390
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

I shouldn’t have to pay the parking ticket I received in the parking spot I pay for... I’ll just beat up every meter maid I see and rob all the parking meters in town... I mean why file the paperwork to contest it. I shouldn’t have the ticket in the first place after all
    Except in this case the meter maid, in order to set you up and make you pay for a ticket, pointed a crossbow at your head and told you to park on a no-parking area or she'd shoot...