New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 264142434445464748495051
Results 1,501 to 1,511 of 1511
  1. - Top - End - #1501
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Is Hilgya Chaotic Evil or Chaotic Neutral? (Or Lawful Good?)

Im generally assuming that the scene was written without a direct understanding of how wealthy groups actually have wealth. It seems to come from a very middle class American perspective. We lost all our money, and thus we cant pay our bills, and the things we own (read: were given to us on credit until we pay it back) will be taken away. Just with a larger scale.

Its very possible to gamble away your families entire fortune when that fortune is 'your savings account + money you use to pay bills and buy food'

Quote Originally Posted by Ironsmith View Post
    My point exactly. You punish the robber, on the grounds that they are a robber. You do not punish the family beyond no longer allowing the benefits of the robberies, and to be truly ethical about it, you make sure that no longer receiving this benefit does not consign them all to the streets.

This is different from saying the entire family is complicit in the robberies because they benefited from said robberies; if you held that to be true, the appropriate response would be to lock them all up together.
    Complicit is not culpable. The safety net that keeps them from the streets is not inherent to your hypothetical. Its an assumption i made to feel better about it because what i would actually do is pointless information that would just derail this thread in ways that are unnecessary. In a world without this safety net you are supposed to take away the money and let the family deal with it. You certainly dont let them continue to to rob banks.
    Last edited by The Extinguisher; 2018-05-02 at 04:47 PM.
    Thanks Uncle Festy for the wonderful Ashling Avatar
    I make music

2. - Top - End - #1502
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The_Weirdo View Post
    You do, of course, realize that I repeatedly and specifically said, by way of example, that Hilgya doesn't have the right to rob a bank, right?
    Nope. I thought you were arguing that she was in the moral right to rob her Clan, which isn’t substantially different.
    We don't need no steeeenkin' signatures!

3. - Top - End - #1503
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Extinguisher View Post
    Im generally assuming that the scene was written without a direct understanding of how wealthy groups actually have wealth. It seems to come from a very middle class American perspective. We lost all our money, and thus we cant pay our bills, and the things we own (read: were given to us on credit until we pay it back) will be taken away. Just with a larger scale.

Its very possible to gamble away your families entire fortune when that fortune is 'your savings account + money you use to pay bills and buy food'
    Almost certainly... but that might also have something to do with the fact that we have a lot of abstract wealth that hasn't always been available. Sure, the Firehelm clan probably still owns quite a bit of not-liquid assets (a few mines, some farms, probably a few homes), but all their actual funds? Not in bonds, not in stocks, just outright gone. In order to get to the point where they can buy next week's groceries, they're going to have to sell a few things off... and in order to get back to the point where they can run themselves properly again, they're going to have to make those sales substantial and fast, which means they're going to be selling big-ticket items for likely much less than they're worth.

Of course, this is assuming that they collectively have that much wealth... going from the "we're going to be caveless" comment, they probably don't own nearly so much.

Complicit is not culpable. The safety net that keeps them from the streets is not inherent to your hypothetical. Its an assumption i made to feel better about it because what i would actually do is pointless information that would just derail this thread in ways that are unnecessary. In a world without this safety net you are supposed to take away the money and let the family deal with it. You certainly dont let them continue to to rob banks.
    The terms are typically used interchangeably. Again, the point stands that you don't punish the family beyond taking away what they already shouldn't have.
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2018-05-02 at 04:51 PM.
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

[Nexus characters, grouped by setting:
    Ouroboros: here
    Maesda: here
    Others: here
    ]

4. - Top - End - #1504
    Titan in the Playground

I am posting to note that this thread is now at page 50, which means that a successful trolling has occurred.

I guess a tip of the cap is warranted for that success.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2018-05-02 at 05:06 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

5. - Top - End - #1505
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    No, it would not. The trustee owes a fiduciary duty to the beneficiary, and Hilgya's brother did not seem to.
    Why do you think that the brother owed no fiduciary duty to the clan for assets he dealt with on the clan's behalf?

6. - Top - End - #1506
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Liquor Box View Post
    Why do you think that the brother owed no fiduciary duty to the clan for assets he dealt with on the clan's behalf?
    Mostly because the other dwarves don't accuse him of betraying their trust. They're just dismayed at his poor judgment.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2018-05-02 at 05:25 PM.

7. - Top - End - #1507
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Mostly because the other dwarves don't accuse him of betraying their trust. They're just dismayed at his poor judgment.
    Sure, because he made a bad investment decision, which was not a betrayal just poor judgment. Had he spent the money on hookers and alcohol for himself I expect they would see it as a betrayal.

Why do you think they were dismayed? Do you think they were feeling bad for him because he had lost his own money, or do you think that they were dismayed because property which was to be used for their own benefit had been lost.

8. - Top - End - #1508
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by GooeyChewie View Post
    Nope. I thought you were arguing that she was in the moral right to rob her Clan, which isn’t substantially different.
    Well, you see, the point where your metaphor breaks down is when one realizes most banks do not engage in human trafficking.

But, by all means, if a bank married me off at crossbow point, I'd have a right to rob it, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Weirdo... I'm not sure you're entirely clear on how an 'alliance' works.

9. - Top - End - #1509

I'll make a new thread for us.

I'll edit in a link to it in this post. Please wait.

Here.
    Last edited by 5a Violista; 2018-05-02 at 05:46 PM.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

10. - Top - End - #1510

It was mentioned that in real-life there are many situations in which bringing justice to harmed/oppressed people may often come at the expense of a bit of harm to people who weren't directly involved/knowledgeable of the harm in question, but I'm not so sure that's the case.

It's certainly true that in many real-life situation narratives are crafted to make it seem like certain groups (white people, men, Christians, any number of other groups) will be harmed, but usually it's less "they will be harmed" and more "they will not receive special treatment". I think that's a different can of worms than Hilgya bankrupting her clan and just considering everyone in it forgivable collateral damage.

11. - Top - End - #1511
    Halfling in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Joeltion View Post
    Is Chaotic Idon'tcare (CI) an alignment?
    Thog is definitely CI
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I don't read the forum anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    It's not like I could have possibly picked a number that would please everyone anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    I think people tend to forget that Banjo giveth with one hand and taketh away with the other. He might well have voted with Hel to get puppets a better deal in World 3.0.