New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Default Familiars have half my max HP. What happens when I polymorph?

A squishy wizard has a squishy familiar. Let's say the 10th level wizard has a Con of 10. He has at most 40hp. His familiar has at most 20hp. He polymorphs into a cave troll. Now his Con is 27. He gains 80hp. His max hp goes up by 80hp. Does his familiar gain 40hp?

On a similar topic, what happens if he is Con drained. Does his familiar similarly lose HP?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Familiars have half my max HP. What happens when I polymorph?

Polymorph inherits the “your HP doesn’t change” clause from Alter Self.

The CON drain problem (or, for that matter, the problem with effects that INCREASE your CON and that don’t have a clause like Alter Self’s) is a weird edge case that likely doesn’t have a satisfying RAW answer. You can make an argument that any time the master’s max HP changes, the familiar’s does too (it IS a magical critter bound to your essence, after all), but that feels weird and fundamentally wrong, even if it’s plausibly RAW.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Familiars have half my max HP. What happens when I polymorph?

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    Polymorph inherits the “your HP doesn’t change” clause from Alter Self.

The CON drain problem (or, for that matter, the problem with effects that INCREASE your CON and that don’t have a clause like Alter Self’s) is a weird edge case that likely doesn’t have a satisfying RAW answer. You can make an argument that any time the master’s max HP changes, the familiar’s does too (it IS a magical critter bound to your essence, after all), but that feels weird and fundamentally wrong, even if it’s plausibly RAW.
    yeah you retain your own hit points.

in practice for the most part, your familiar has half your hit points when you're just kind of hanging out. I've never seen anyone say your familiar gets a boost if you use vampiric touch or flip on an amulet of tears or cast bite of the werex.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition