New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Default An issue that I found with Magic Circle Against Evil

I just noticed that the "Area" section of Magic Circle Against Evil reads "10-ft.-radius emanation from touched creature". For the outward-facing use of the spell, this is fine, but the area does NOT seem to change for the inward-facing and planar binding versions. Does this mean that if you want to trap a demon that you're Planar Binding, you have to stay in the circle with it (specifically, in the center of said circle, because the circle will move with you)?
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: An issue that I found with Magic Circle Against Evil

No. The 10ft emanation refers to the primary usage of Magic Circle as detailed in the first paragraph of the spell. The next 4 paragraphs describe an alternate usage, which being a specific case, overrides the general case of the spell.
    Last edited by TheFamilarRaven; 2018-04-23 at 05:48 PM.
    Homebrewers Extended Signature Yep, no more room in my actual signature ... on the bright side though, now I have room for a cool quote!
    If I had one ...
    Custom Avatar by ShadowySilence - He's a cool guy.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by ATHATH View Post
    I just noticed that the "Area" section of Magic Circle Against Evil reads "10-ft.-radius emanation from touched creature". For the outward-facing use of the spell, this is fine, but the area does NOT seem to change for the inward-facing and planar binding versions. Does this mean that if you want to trap a demon that you're Planar Binding, you have to stay in the circle with it (specifically, in the center of said circle, because the circle will move with you)?
    You are correct, the spell has numerous problems. If you take it fully as written, you would have to touch the creature you intend to bind, since the inward version doesn't change this requirement.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Kill a fly and cast it on the corpse at the center of the circle.