New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Question [3.5] Boosting SR For Monsters

So, I was looking for some easy(ish) methods to boost the SR on a creature.

As the DM, I can always just hand wave an increase, but I prefer to follow RAW methods where I can.

I've done some searching, but the methods I've found are less than ideal (Boosting Spell Resistance for instance).

If it helps, the creature in question is a Ghirrash (outsider, 7 HD, SR 14).

• Awaken Spell Resistance feat won't work because it's not a dragon (unless I slap the half-dragon template on it?)
    • Boost Spell Resistance feat gives +2 (if the creature is evil). One of the better options, but I'm hoping to poush higher than +2.
    • Exalted Spell Resistance feat gives +4 SR, but only against evil spells and such; also not applicable for a villain.
    • Daazzix's Vest (item) increases innate SR by +5, but a 25,000gp item would be utter overkill for this encounter

...is there any templates that would help? Preferably without driving CR up through the roof.

Cheers - T

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Boosting SR For Monsters

You could have the Ghirrash take Shape Soulmeld: Spellward Shirt and Bonus Essentia. Then, if it invests both points of essentia in the Shirt, it has SR 18. It's less a boost and more of a replacement, but the end result is that the Ghirrash has higher SR.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Spellwarped Creature from MMIII would give a better spell resistance of 18, and would also provide some benefits when a spell fails to penetrate. CR increase is only 1 for the Ghirrash, and you could then throw on the methods you mentioned if you want a higher one.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Voidmind Creature gets SR 10+HD for +1 CR

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Doesn't most SR follow a simple 10 or 11 plus Hit Die model? Couldn't you just advance the critter via HD to up it?
    Awesome avatar by Iron Penguin!

Signature of Holding

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Post Re: [3.5] Boosting SR For Monsters

Quote Originally Posted by TwoLegsArmchair View Post
    You could have the Ghirrash take Shape Soulmeld: Spellward Shirt and Bonus Essentia. Then, if it invests both points of essentia in the Shirt, it has SR 18. It's less a boost and more of a replacement, but the end result is that the Ghirrash has higher SR.
    Thanks for the heads up. I don't generally use MoI in my games, but I'll look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Viscount View Post
    Spellwarped Creature from MMIII would give a better spell resistance of 18, and would also provide some benefits when a spell fails to penetrate. CR increase is only 1 for the Ghirrash, and you could then throw on the methods you mentioned if you want a higher one.
    Unfortunately Spellwarped can't be applied to Outsiders.

Quote Originally Posted by ShurikVch View Post
    Voidmind Creature gets SR 10+HD for +1 CR
    That looks like a solid option for CR +1. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadline View Post
    Doesn't most SR follow a simple 10 or 11 plus Hit Die model? Couldn't you just advance the critter via HD to up it?
    While many (most?) creatures do follow this formula, it is not universal.

Also, SR doesn't increase by HD unless specifically stated to do so. I could DM hand-wave it, but I'd rather not.