New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 83 12345678910112651 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

d20 A Test of your Prowers, The Endless Guantlet

It is Lovis, Day 14 of the month of May, 1491. The Setting is no where extra-ordinary but in a small village known as Everpine, surrounded on two sides by mountains and rolling hills. The only notable roads are those that lead into the village from the east and the one that leads to the west towards the kingdom. The village is home to many different races but the most prevalent of those are human. We turn our focus to the Barracks where our heroes await the chance to change destiny themselves. The barracks themselves are nothing more than a small building turned into housing for soldiers during this time of strife within the kingdom, nonetheless our heroes come from all walks of life within the village to answer the call to protect their home Everpine. We have Ander a Hafling mage, torn away from His studies. Frederic, the Human Cleric, who left behind the church to protect his flock. Orthririthos, the Brute, who well, just likes smashing things. Robina, The only Female of our ragtag band of misfits. Finally Jon Marker, A rather sketchy fellow, one you wouldn’t normally see in a militia but in times as these, every man and woman must do their part.

The Party is in their respective bunks inside the barracks they are assigned (Omega building. Denoted by an Ω over the Door of the building.). next to each wall is a set of bunks, and near those are chests where the militia keep their gear off-duty, among the wall to the back of the building is a board, with papers scattered all amongst it. it is near daylight and the village is just now waking to go about the things the villagers do in their daily lives. when the Door thuds open loudly waking everyone in the room.

Seargent:
    Looking around the room intently with the stare that says this man has seen numerous battles. The seargent removes his helmet and places it under his right arm. the helmet has the insignia of the Militia on it, which is a Single Tree with two mountains on both sides. the same such symbol that is on the players gear now, denoting their status as militia.
    Alright you grungy rabble, you may not be actual soldiers but you still have a job to do. Grab your gear and Patrol the streets.
    At this point the Seargent sneers at his grunts, puts his helmet on and storms out the way he came in.

Spoiler: Spot DC - 10
    Show
    A quick glance at the helmet of the seargent the insignia has 2 slash marks through the tree. which are not on anyone else's insignia.

Spoiler: INT - DC 15
    Show
    This likely denotes the Seargents status or rank in the militia itself, and is used as a way to separate command from the grunts.

Spoiler: Village - Everpine
    Show
    * Everyone knows this *

Small village, surrounded on two sides by mountains. The only notable roads are those that lead into the village from the east and the one that leads to the west towards the kingdom. The village is home to many different races but the most prevalent of those are human. Notable village buildings are the town centre were the judicial Building is, here the mayor issues rulings on criminals who would dare break the laws. The next is the city market, well not so much market as it is a trader post, merchant caravans coming to the kingdom often stop in Everpine to rest up and trade with the locals before moving on to the larger markets in the Kingdom. The barracks is home to the militia and next to it is a school. Besides the numerous houses that dot the rest of the village the rest is a handful of churches each belonging to a different faith.

Spoiler: Knowledge Local DC 8
    Show
    You also know of a large underground network of tunnels that run underneath the village. They could be used to get anywhere in the village quickly as needed. However, these tunnels are rarely, if ever explored and there is a huge risk of getting lost without knowing your way around.

Spoiler: IF Passed, WIS DC 10
    Show
    It stands to reason that a blueprint of the tunnel network might lie in some of the administration buildings.

*At this point the players can interact with each other and their enviorment as they decide their course for the day.
    Last edited by CNFish; 2019-02-08 at 01:50 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: A Test of your Prowers, The Endless Guantlet

Orthririthos slowly sits up while listening to the captain tell them what to do and throw an insult in the orders as well. After a loud yawn he puts his gear on but asks for assistance from..Frederic! Excuse me..Frederic i believe? Would you mind helping ensure my armor is on correctly and I shall assist you with yours after? Its just much more effective helping put this on
    Also i know my name is a mouthful so everyone here is free to call me by Orth

If he gets help Orth will help in return then see how the group wishes to proceed for the patrol

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Robina has a "Yes sergeant" on her lips, but it kind of trails off as he is not there to hear it finish.

She slings her bow over her shoulder and grabs her spear, gently toying with the tip as she tests it's sharpness.

"Well, let's go do what they pay us for. Anybody need any help?"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

As the sergeant speaks, Ander looks up from southpaw, his weasel familiar he was previously playing with. He steadily gets to his feet then walks over to the door, Southpaw following shortly behind.

I’m ready for this everyone, let’s head out. But should we all go round as one or would groups be better?
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Frederic

I wonder if I could win an arm wrestling match against him Frederic thought. The Sergeant has fought many battles, that's for sure, but he was old. At least a lot older than Frederic.

His thoughts ended abrupt after his name was mentioned.

For sure I help you donning your armor, Orth! Gimme a second. He stood up and walked over to the Brute. He I would like to see fighting! came to his mind as he helped him with his armor.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Post Re: A Test of your Prowers, The Endless Guantlet

My fellow people, it is our duty to protect our home...protecting our home starts with us. It is very odd that we do not have a set destination, but let us make use of that. I will go to the requisition area, get a whistle, and some writing material, then head to where the wanted and missing people posters are.
    I will try to write at least 2 names that seem to match up, either both has same time missing people or "wanted for kidnapping" = person a and "wanted for aiding in..." = person b that sounds to match person a. After a deep breath.
    From there I will try to get some food scraps to help the less fortunate that cannot partake of the militia and see if they have seen anything or heard names. I will try to do loops stopping at our far corners and coming back here has the middle. Any are welcomed to partake, but I do wonder about how will we each signal each other? I apologize if it seems I'm looking down on anyone, but having lost... Well I just wish you all safety and knowledge of where I am.
    His stance starts more to resemble a near perfect "at attention", but his head is lowering has he finishes the thought. He makes a small stride to the door and thinks better of it.

After last checks, armors suited and brand (the tree) brandished, any help that a former squire could provide, Jon sets out for the requisition of a whistle and writing material; then doing to the best of a humans ability; staying true to his words and putting them to into actions. Oddly for one that looks only barely average strength and appears to have very deep wounds Jon moves fast 35' of the 40' that he can use, every so often checking the surroundings to see if anyone is keeping up with him or taking interest in his plans.

7. - Top - End - #7

many thanks Frederic, let me get your armor situated as wel a few mins later it looks like everyones suited up

Im normally ok with wandering alone but since we ARE supposed to be a group il glady follow..Jon there with his path and assistance.
    If none others come with i recommend we all see about aquiring a whistle or other loud device and we alp agree to go running at the sound?
    Orth offers his ideas quite freely and with a degree of intelligence he knows is often not associated with brutes.
    Although...i will admit unless its just a picture for these...missing persons? I wont be much help since i never bothered to learn how to write or read the letters...prehaps later when i have time

Orth goes to leave when he notices the board on the back wall ....hey whats these papers here say?
    Last edited by finaldooms; 2018-05-14 at 02:45 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8

ElfMonkGuy

You, seem to be more sociable with your words, if we could find 2 that seem connected do you think you could describe them from the pictures or drawings to others? ...not many wish to see me, unless they have reasons to. I use to...work...at the sewers, that is why they'd talk with me.

Restarts path, giving ample way to those that have joined his path. Making him almost the last to get out the door and using his quickness to catch up.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

I have a whistle. I don't think we should split up that far, but people are more likely to talk to one or two of us than five guards tramping around.

Robina will head out and take a look at the various posters, reading out anything requested by Orth

10. - Top - End - #10

Spoiler: Robina
    Show
    For the sake of clarity... Orth is pointing at the board with papers in the barracks ( as mentioned in the description) so are you reading those to him?

Otherwise. .. Orth follows along and nods with appreciation that Robina is being so helpful many thanks Robina, and you are probably correct in we should stick to small groups, having lived here im sure the villagers are not pleased with the need for us to keep the peace

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Oorth
    Show
    Yes Robina will read over the board in the barracks, for Oorth in particular and anyone else.

Well I have not lived here nearly as long as you, so I am still very much the outsider. Getting people to trust and talk to me is hard enough as it is.

12. - Top - End - #12

RangerGuy

Spoiler: robina
    Show
    as Robina walks up to the board to check out the papers she notices a paper that is labled Omega patrol route plastered in the middle of the board. Amonsgt the other papers are scribbled letters from command talking about the responsibilities of the militia inside the village. And a few missing persons reports (2).

Spoiler: omega patrol route
    Show
    this paper is a crudely drawn map of the village, the map maker obviously didn't put much effort into the details and essentially only marked key points on the map with a few outlier roads to navigate from. 3 lines of black ink are drawn throughout the paper, one line encompasses the perimeter of the village. The next leads from the barracks to the market, and the last from the barracks to the school.

the lines obviously represent the route of the patrol, but it's unclear why there are so many routes.

There is also a small written sentence in the bottom corner

keep the peace!

Spoiler: wis dc 12
    Show
    because the militia is so loosely organized, it stands to reason that all routes are potential patrol routes to take. And that command doesn't really care which ones are being patrolled.

Spoiler: letters from command
    Show

you are hereby conscripted into the local Everpine militia, the militia is to guard against all threats to the village both foreign and domestic at the discretion of the constable/mayor carried out by the superior officers of the Everpine military. Any concerns or questions should be directed towards your most immediate commander.

You will hence forthe be paid 3gp/day until the end of the tenure in which you are needed. Any insubordination or refusal of orders will result in the forfiet of said payment and or imprisonment.

The militias sole duty is to protect the citizens of Everpine, cowardice or failure to do so will result in the imprisonment or hanging of said individuals.

Spoiler: missing persons
    Show

There are two missing persons posters
    Male
    Human
    ~30
    Brown eyes
    Black hair
    Merchant
    Last seen - school

Female
    Human
    ~7
    Brown eyes
    Brown hair
    Job - N/A
    last seen - schoolhouse

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Yo, guys. Before we head out.

You are hereby conscripted into the local Everpine militia, the militia is to guard against all threats to the village both foreign and domestic at the discretion of the constable/mayor carried out by the superior officers of the Everpine military. Any concerns or questions should be directed towards your most immediate commander.

That will be the sergeant, presumably, unless and until one of us makes LanceJack.

You will hence forthe be paid 3gp/day until the end of the tenure in which you are needed.

Wonder if they pay us by day, week, month, or they will wait until they decide they don't need us then pay us then, or keep us around so they don't have to pay us off and hope we desert. You get three guesses, you should only need 1.

Any insubordination or refusal of orders will result in the forfeit of said payment and or imprisonment.

Yes sir.

The militias sole duty is to protect the citizens of Everpine, cowardice or failure to do so will result in the imprisonment or hanging of said individuals.

Super, we can shake down any foreigners and out-of-towners we like because they don't count.

Patrol routes they want:

Perimeter

Barracks to Market

Barracks to school

There are two missing persons:

Male
    Human
    ~30
    Brown eyes
    Black hair
    Merchant
    Last seen - school

Female
    Human
    ~7
    Brown eyes
    Brown hair
    Job - N/A
    last seen - schoolhouse

So I suggest:

Some of us do the perimeter, because we don't want to have to explain why that army sneaked up on us.

Some of us take inside, head to the school and the market, do some enquires.

Later we can meet up and the swap around.

I will head to the school first, and Jon you are interested in missing persons so I suggest you come with me.

So I suggest two of you do the perimeter and one does either.

Last edited by wilphe; 2018-05-15 at 12:33 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

And now? You really wanna split up? As novices we were told “whatever happens, don't split up. You have to rely on your comrades left and right. They are here to watch your back!“
    So, the more the merrier, right?

[EDIT:] but I guess, I'm not a novice anymore...
    Orth, let's team up and patrol the perimeter together, okay? Maybe we can do a little race?
    Last edited by Fliggl; 2018-05-15 at 12:58 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Well I hope to hear to the school, meet with these young scholars and try and track down this unfortunate little girl. By Gods I hope they’re both alright. Says Ander, a sad look covering his mostly happy features.

16. - Top - End - #16

ElfMonkGuy

Question Re: A Test of your Prowers, The Endless Guantlet

The school and the school house? I forget are those one building or do they have some on site housing and caretakers quarters nearby?
    A gentle at ease pose is struck, right after finishing the statement, head scanning for confirmation of the thought, but it snaps back to the person asking him to come with him. Each 2 strides of the personnel headed to the school only met with 1 of Jon's stride... It seems as if a very silly stiff walk is the outcome of Jon's formality and want to be apart of new group.

One could almost see a pup tail wagging as they watch., but then 2 realization pops into Jon's head. Did I grab a whistle and stuff write with yet? Oh right! Jon turns to Orth with snapped 45 turn into an attention pose.

Orth, the posters are about a guy and a young girl that disappeared around the school, if you could describe them from the pictures on the missing labels to us, each of us would have the same description and it would help the populace all look for the same people. If you would be has kind?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

And now? You really wanna split up?

"If we are serious about finding this girl we are probably going to need to speak to her family, who will probably be very upset right now and friends, who might not open up to adults. It's a lot easier to do that without being a group of 5. If we need to lean on someone then yeah, let's go in a group, but that's not here yet.

And anyway this is small village, we can get anywhere we need to be in a few minutes.
    Last edited by wilphe; 2018-05-15 at 02:36 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

OOC:

So this is Ander, Jon and Robina to the school?

Oorth and Frederick to the perimeter?

19. - Top - End - #19

Im fine with patrolling the perimeter while you all go look into the missing kid, who knows we might find something out there even. Now that a plan seems to be decided Orth with go with Frederic to the perimeter to watch for trouble

best of luck to you all and dont forget to blow a whistle if you need us!
    Orth's long strides will most likely outpace a party member unless someone mentions it ( moving at 50ft a round )

20. - Top - End - #20

RangerGuy

Spoiler: SChool party
    Show

As you move from the barracks to the school, the sun is just now pining the crest of the horizon in the east. Farmers are already in the field going about their business with their crops, women and children move about the streets. Children going to school, and women attending to their chores. as you near the school house you notice the school building is a rather large church that can hold nearly a hundred people easily.

Spoiler: Search DC 15
    Show
    Spoiler: IF Passed
    Show
    Amongst the children and multitude of adults entering in and leaving the building (mostly women leaving, likely the mothers of the children there.) you can spot several dressed all in the same manner these are likely the teachers of the school. you see two females in this particular clothing and one male dressed in long garments, (hes likely the priest of this church) standing rather close off to the side of the building.

Spoiler: IF failed.
    Show
    You notice nothing out of the ordinary. someone around here must know of the administrators or someone you can talk to about the case you are on. there are several groups of people standing closely by.

before the players can act, people begin dispersing from whence they came. giving the players looks, these looks are not nice looks either. its perceived that the villagers in this area are not happy about the militia activation and want to keep their distance.

Spoiler: Perimeter Detail
    Show

its rather a short walk from the compound to the perimeter wall, and from there an even shorter one to the gates. as you arrive at the gates the guards wave you through to begin your patrol. you are now on the outside wall of the village to begin your patrol. you can either head to the north, towards the tallest mountain, or to the south to the smaller mountain (not by much), either way, it will take some time to completely circle the village.

Spoiler: North
    Show
    as you begin your trek to the north the rolling hills seem to bound up and down as the village walls seem to be forever the same height, though upon closer inspection you know that the logs that make the walls are not all the same height, but your sense of boredom along the trail seem to only grow deeper.
    Spoiler: spot DC 8
    Show
    you notice along your route that some of the wall near the back of the village (which encompasses mostly just houses.) has been damaged its still mostly intact but the amount of damage done means this section of wall will need to be replaced.
    Spoiler: Search DC 10
    Show
    You search for things that could lead you to the reason the wall is damaged, upon closer inspection you notice the burn marks on the wall. what caused this is unsure but is nonetheless troubling as well.
    Spoiler: Survival DC 12
    Show
    You see what seems to be imprints of some kind in the grass leading away from the village.

Spoiler: south
    Show
    Spoiler: listen check DC 10
    Show
    you can hear the muffled sounds of growling. It sounds a bit low and rough. Definitely non human. It's coming from away from the village

Last edited by CNFish; 2018-05-15 at 06:28 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Frederic made a short prayer and started running. But Orth was to fast. Frederic arrived the gate a bit later.
    North or south? Where should we go first? he asked.

Edit because I forgot to write it:
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    spending one turn attempt to use divine vigor (+10ft & +2 temp. hp for two minutes)
    Last edited by Fliggl; 2018-05-16 at 08:41 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22

Aftet arriving at the split orth looks for Frederic. ..oh..i seem,to have lost him Orth spends a few moments looking at the paths trying to decide which to go along when Frederic shows finally.

Ah Frederic there you are, im not used to adjusting my speed so i apologize..and i figure we might as well go south first just because i was born facing southward hahaha...although if you have a real reason then we can go north orth shrugs slightly realizing his joke was...poor

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Hahaha, this reason is good enough for me, let's go And while on their watch, Frederic looked left and right and he had an open ear.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Listen (1d20+2)[15]
    Spot (1d20+2)[12]

Edit:Orth? You heard that, too? he asked after hearing a non-human growling from the village. He unsheated his greatsword.
    Last edited by Fliggl; 2018-05-16 at 10:09 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24

oh..you laughed at that.guess it eas good Orth follows along fairly content with letting Frederic lead for the moment but keeping his hand near his weapon just in case
    Spoiler: rolling!
    Show

(1d20+5)[14] listen
    (1d20+1)[11] spot

Edit:
    Actually i did hear it..and it sounds like its coming from AWAY from the village Orth pulls his greatsword from his back and a whistle from his pouch placing it between his lips with a readied action!!
    Spoiler: readied whistle!!
    Show
    if Orth decides this is to dangerous for the mighty dou he will blow the whistle !!
    Last edited by finaldooms; 2018-05-16 at 10:48 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

While Ander is a little slower than his companions he presses on eagerly and walks with determination and fast pace to the schoolhouse. He trots up quickly to the schoolhouse and begins investigation.

Search: (1d20+3)[16]

Quickly spotting the teachers out of the crowd he goes to the most expierienced looking out of them and begins to introduce himself.

Umm excuse me? Could I have a moment of your time please? I’m investigating a young girl and a man who went missing several days ago. Apparently they were last seen around here.
    Last edited by JbeJ275; 2018-05-16 at 11:31 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Robina looks around, politely smiles and nods at everyone glaring at her but doesn't seek out eye contact with anyone trying to avoid making any, then moves across with Anders to where the teachers seem to be.

Good morning. My companions and I understand that a couple of people have gone missing from here, although our priority is of course the child. We understand that this must be very upsetting for you, but we would like your permission to talk to a few people and some of her classmates if we may please. We hope not to cause too much disruption.

OOC:

Don't know how abstract you want to play this, but her general approach will be to talk nicely and politely to them to get them at ease, Sense Motive to see if she picks anything and Gather Info, to well, she what she gets

Diplomacy 7+(1d20)[3](3)

Sense Motive 4+(1d20)[14](14)

Gather Info 6+1(1d20)[19](19)

27. - Top - End - #27

ElfMonkGuy

Hanging far enough back from the school people to put them at ease, but close enough to let them know "I'm with the band" My gaze sweeps over the various paths away from the school, trying to figure out which path is the least used and easiest to follow out to the border (2 different types of paths being looked for).
    (1d20+2)[12] that is for the school dc spot check.
    Once it seems the the bulk of the party is done with the questioning I will try to signal one over and talk about the path and how far 2 people could see one another if on the path that was least used or on the path that went straight to the outskirts.
    (1d20+2)[13] this is the 2 paths seeing spot roll, because I'm only using one long look over.

28. - Top - End - #28

RangerGuy

Spoiler: Perimeter detail
    Show
    you look ahead and somewhere near 20ft away (Close) you can see some feral looking creatures (three of them) in armor. they have sharp ears. blunt faces, theyre carrying long swords and shields, are they gearing up for battle? its unsure. they don't seem to have noticed the perimeter detail yet.

Spoiler: Listen Check DC 15
    Show
    If you listen carefully you can hear them speaking amongst themselves.

Spoiler: Goblin
    Show
    The larger looking one. This is the village, its rather small and feeble if you ask me, but Grakdo's orders must be carried out. find a weak point in the perimeter defense and report back to camp..

The other two nod in agreement.

Spoiler: School guards
    Show
    Spoiler: Ander
    Show
    Ander approaches the male and inquires about some information.

Priest - Ah, its about time the guard show up to investigate the matter.. its been TWO DAYS! since it was reported mind you.. but yes they were last seen around the school. the girl, such a vibrant and beautiful young lass and quite smart for her age as well. usually leaves here with her father to the markets for the day, as her father is a merchant in town. He owns a general goods shop if i remember correctly.

Spoiler: Robina
    Show
    Robina approaches a one of the teachers. the only meaningful information she is able to obtain is the name of the girl, M'Kyla. though she does overhear the Priests remarks as well. Ander does not hear the teacher however...

Spoiler: Jon
    Show
    Jon sticking to the rear notices only two roads the one they came from and one that leads further south into the village. the wall is almost visible from here (this is Approximately where the other two where headed.) a full sprint and they could reach the southwest gate in a minute if need be.

Last edited by CNFish; 2018-05-16 at 07:28 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29

Orth wrinkles his nose in disgust and makes a ...kn:nature? (1d20+4)[8] to see if he recognizes them..

Then makes a listen check (1d20+5)[8] to see if he can hear them!!

Otherwise whistle in his mouth still..orth makes ready for battle intent on charging the farthest being possible as long as his path is clear and Frederic says to go

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

I see thank you, tell me did M'Kyla have any especially close friends that we could talk too? They may have noticed something changed, or different about her or where she might go if not home.