New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Othniel's Ironfang Invasion II

Veric

Waiting for his turn at introductions quietly, Veric studied the newcomer with some interest. She was obviously a skilled archer but trust had never come easy to him, and after the Ironfang invasion of his hometown, less so.

"I'm Warden Veric Reid, of Phaendar. The Ironfang destroyed our village and we've been hunting them ever since. So excuse me if I agree with my cousin's assessment of our hobgoblin's situation." His tone was flat but he regarded the caged hob with naked hatred.

"Where do you hail from?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    BIG thank you to Gengy for my fabulous avatar! ღ
    #Notallinfluencers

2. - Top - End - #242
    Troll in the Playground

"I think the hob in the cage has had enough time to ruminate over his life choices. I'm going to go talk to him." The sorcerer jerked his head in the direction of the gibbets and went down once more. There, he drew his magic bastard sword and went to one of the posts holding up the structure.

"Alright. You have a minute prove your usefulness," he said, giving the wood an experimental whack. "Dazzle me with military intelligence and I'll let you live."

Spoiler: Intimidate
    Show
    (1d20+13)[28]
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2018-07-20 at 03:35 PM.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ettin in the Playground

Hollow Hills, Ridgeline Camp

"Uh..." Mahrzan glanced nervously at the blade as it sank into the wood. "Right. So, the boss - that's Dargg - was carrying a bunch of gold to bribe those harpy's into joining Kosseruk's army. Supposedly she wanted some more air support for the march on Longshadow in a couple of weeks. Dargg really need this deal to go down after he screwed up at the human village to the east and got a bunch of slaves and troops and Kosseruk's pet morlocks killed by the things in the mine. The jerk allowed Wenda - that was the lead Harpy - to have her way with me, but I said no. I don't want to screw with no ugly bird! A man's got his standards, after all. A couple of the boys took my side and we had a right good fight with the bird ladies; killed a few and really made 'em mad. Then they demanded satisfaction and Dargg let them have me. So they stuck me in the cage and there I've been ever since! If he wasn't dead, I'd kill him myself. This whole show has been a debacle ever since we entered the hills."

"Won't change things for Longshadow though. Kosseruk's got a huge army, and she's sending just a fraction of it to the city. We've got the run of the country across the river from Ecru down to the dwarf hold. It'll take a while to get past 'em, but it'll happen. Anyway, with Longshadow, we're set. Thousands of soldiers ready to march on the gates, hobgoblins, bugbears, minotaurs, you name it! Hundreds of warbeasts to batter their way through or over the walls. I've even heard we have some spies inside, sowing discord and convincing everyone the Legion is no threat. When the Legion attacks, they'll be ready to seize and open the gates. Even if you show up, you'll never get their defenses ready in the short time you have. The simpletons there believe they're secure behind their crumbling walls, heh. Then Kosseruk will sweep in and change things, but I don't want to live under no minotaur. She uses us hobgoblins like fodder, and then she'll cast us aside just like Dargg did to me! His second in command! Mark my words, best to just leave this country like I want to and forget about it all."

Spoiler: Nora, Torg, and Veric
    Show
    There's much truth in what Mahrzan is saying, but you think he may be exaggerating the strength of the army coming against Longshadow.
    Many thanks to Ceika for the Custom Avatar!

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ettin in the Playground

"A pleasure to meet all of you," Nora offered, though she was mostly stalling for time while she assessed the truth of their words and hearts. Cayden gave her ways to read people, and the results she got were interesting. "I'm originally from Irrisen, but these days I help run an inn a bit south of Kalsgard whenever I'm not on 'church business.' When we heard of the Ironfang Invasion, there was a push to prepare... but we were getting ready to accept refugees. Then word got around that a group called the Fangbreakers had decided to stay and fight, and were doing a decent job of it." She glanced around, clearly indicating the piles of hobgoblin corpses. "Seems like the rumors were true. Cayden Cailean doesn't abide those subjugating others, and even that far north we've heard tales of their brutal slavery and tents made of human skin. I doubt you'll ever get an organized response from the likes of us, but I'm here to join you - if you like - with the full blessing of my god and all those who work in his service."

The elf took a deep breath. "I'm not much up on current events beyond that, but you can tell me all about what's been happening later. It seems our friend with the captives is wrapping up, aye? And we really ought to free Nibbitz, here."
    Last edited by Jade_Tarem; 2018-07-20 at 07:51 PM.
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Troll in the Playground

"I'm not really feeling dazzled." Septimus pouted at the hanging hobgbolin. "Not quite underwhelmed either. Just whelmed? You did say the magic word, 'spy', so I guess you can live. I mean, I'm not letting you go, but we'll come back for you in a few hours. Got to run an errand first."

The sorcerer rejoined the party and conveyed what he'd been told.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ettin in the Playground

Hollow Hills, Ridgeline Camp

Torg flew off back to Radya's Hollow in search of the dwarves and two additional miners they'd left behind. In that time, the quintet of bearded folk plus one human had managed to gather a supply of useful clothing and food that might be needed for the journey to Longshadow. By the time Torg showed up, they were ready. So it was that in merely two hours' time, Torg had returned to the ridgeline camp and reunited all of the known survivors of Radya's Hollow with each other. All that remained was the trek to Longshadow with a possible stop along the way at the village of Redburrow. The Fangbreakers had seen no sign of the four rangers they had sent out on a scouting circuit, but hope remained that they would find them at the village ahead.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Troll in the Playground

While Torg made ready to depart, Septimus spoke with the gnome girl and convinced her the necessity to stick together. And also just how incredibly badass they were. Like wow. Longshadow was going to be so safe, you guys.

(1d20+24)[32]

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ettin in the Playground

Hollow Hills

Notwithstanding the puzzled look Nibbitz gave Septimus for his phrasing, the gnome woman agreed readily once the sorcerer's silver tongue was loosed and the importance of their mission suitably impressed upon the gnome. Shortly thereafter the group departed southwestward. The climb down from the ridge was the most precarious for those on foot, but with careful attention paid to footing, all made it down without hurt.

After some two hours' progress, Torg was the first to see four bird-like creatures circling what appeared to be two overturned wagons on the ground. Drifting northeast toward the caravan was the unmistakable scent of rotting flesh.
    Last edited by Othniel; 2018-07-23 at 08:19 PM.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Troll in the Playground

After consulting with Nora, Septimus gathered Torg with them and went on foot to greet the griffons. He didn't actually know what he wanted out of the encounter or what he was supposed to say to a griffon, but he made the attempt anyway.

"Hail most noble beasts, masters of the sky!" He bowed deeply and motioned for his companions to do the same. He continued to invent increasingly obsequious platitudes until the creatures were content to let him approach, at which point he offered them jerky.

Spoiler: Diplomancin
    Show
    (1d20+24)[43]

10. - Top - End - #250
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Torg had been doing a series of lazy circles around the ground-bound group as they traveled. He kept the bound hobgoblin captive in his claws, and after a while of nothing but the wind whistling around them, he spoke to the creature.

"Do you keep any gods, soldier of the Ironfang?"

But as the griffons could be seen in the distance, he realized any discussion with the prisoner would have to wait. He deposited the hobgoblin with the miners before flying up and around the party, keeping an eye on the griffons with his huge roc-eyes.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ettin in the Playground

Hollow Hills

"Well, actually," the hobgoblin began, "Have you heard of Hadregaaaawooooooaah!" The rest of the soldier's words were lost in a shout of surprise as Torg quickly descended and deposited the unhappy Mahrzan with the unfriendly miners.

Meanwhile, the griffons had heard Septimus, and as those of the group approaching neared, the creatures shied away for a few moments, until it became clear that the human wished to speak at them, instead of shoot arrows or throw rocks. Two split off from the circle of four and landed, one not far from the scene of slaughter as if guarding a prize, while the other - the biggest of the four - touched down near Septimus. The other pair remained in the air, slowly circling the area on alert.

The leader regarded him with large, dark eyes that blinked slowly and sparkled with intelligence. The creature cocked her head and then with a singular motion, snatched the jerky from the sorcerer's outstretched hand and horked it down greedily. She took a guarded step forward until she could, had she wanted, snatched the sorcerer up and carried him off were he but a normal man, and the three envoys were immediately aware of just how large this creature was. Its wingspan was easily twenty-five to thirty feet, and it stood several hands taller than most of the horses any in the group had seen. Its talons were sharp, and its thick legs rippled with muscles.

The griffon snorted at Septimus, blowing the scent of raw meat into his face. As it stood there regarding him, the creature spoke, though not in Common or any language any of those there knew. Instead, what came out was a series of grunts and cries, followed by a turn of the head and a gesture in the direction of the wagons and their ill-fated humanoid counterparts.

Spoiler: Nora
    Show
    Nora is well aware of the reputation griffons have for slaughtering and carrying off horses to eat - it is their favorite meat. Though she cannot understand the griffon's speech, she seems to be attempting to communicate something involving the scene behind her.
    Last edited by Othniel; 2018-07-24 at 08:31 PM.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ettin in the Playground

"Gods, you're a beautiful one, aren't you?" Nora whispered. Louder, she offered a bit more council to Septimus. "Griffons love horse meat, if we have any of that at hand. Also, I think she wants us to take a closer look at the scene behind her."

13. - Top - End - #253
    Troll in the Playground

"Yeah, except for that one."

Septimus approached the stand-offish griffon and bowed again. "What do you want? Why can't I pass? Do you want horse meat?" He gestured to his mount. "Sorry! That one's not real. You can't eat him because he'll disappear!"

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ettin in the Playground

Aidan

The sudden arrival of their northern tourist was met with ambivalence by Aidan. Another bow on the line was welcome, he supposed, but he questioned the real worth of someone who walked into the middle of an enemy camp and immediately raised the alarm. He kept such thoughts to himself, however, and joined the rest of the group in their trek westward. When the griffons appeared, he immediately attempted to melt into the shadows, circling around the beasts to investigate the overturned wagons.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Stealth: (1d20+24)[27]

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ettin in the Playground

Hollow Hills

After Septimus explained that his mount would disappear, the lead griffon tilted her head and then nodded once as if in understanding, but before it could respond, the griffon guarding the site shifted his gaze to follow Aidan's movement. Before Aidan could get near enough to really see what was in or under the overturned wagons, it sprang before him, interposing itself between the elf and the bodies of the horses, and cried out in warning, prompting the leader to take a few cautious steps back from Septimus and send forth a short stream of angry grunts and gestures.

Spoiler: Nora, Septimus, and Torg
    Show
    You three are all pretty sure now that the griffon is attempting to warn you off from the site, and that they have probably claimed it for their own. She seems to be trying to tell you to go away.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Troll in the Playground

Septimus scowled in Aidan's direction.

"We don't want to seal your food. You can eat them. We just want to see what happened and take their shiny things." He pointed to his sword. "You don't have any use for a sword, do you? Let us look, then you can go back to eating. But you should know I'm a powerful wizard, so if you follow us, we can give you horses to eat."

(1d20+25)[41] diplomacy

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ettin in the Playground

Hollow Hills

Reluctantly, the large griffon backed slowly to the side. She called to the male standing guard between Aidan and the wreckage, and he too withdrew. Slowly, the griffons moved over to where the bodies of the horses lay and started to slowly drag them away from the carts, leaving the rest alone. The stink of dead flesh filled the nostrils of those who came forward to investigate the wreck. Inside, they found a banded chest carrying several bars of metal and an assortment of gear. More interestingly was the body of a hobgoblin soldier, his head bashed in, but his hands still clutching an extremely well-crafted bardiche that radiated magical auras.

Spoiler: XP and Loot
    Show
    1067 XP each for disarming the situation peacefully.

In the wagons, you find the following:

Rough bars of gold, silver, and nickel in a banded chest worth a total of 3,300gp. One set of +1 studded leather armor, two masterwork light steel shields, two masterwork scimitars, two longbows, and 48 arrows among the wreckage—the scimitars and longbows clearly of hobgoblin design. The hob wore a suit of masterwork chainmail, and had a pouch near to overflowing with gold (567gp) in addition to his weapon.

Upon examination, the bardiche is a +1 Elemental-Bane Bardiche crafted of living steel.

Living steel is a substance that is difficult to work with, and even harder to harvest. Some trees suck up potent minerals through their roots the same way others draw water from the ground. Though these trees blunt saws and axes used to hew them and shrug off fire, they eventually succumb to time or the elements. When properly harvested, these fallen trees produce nuggets of a metal called living steel. This glossy green metal slowly repairs itself. An item made from living steel repairs damage to itself at a rate of 2 hit points per day, or 1 hit point per day if it has the broken condition. Items not primarily of metal are not meaningfully affected by being partially made of living steel.

Several of the bodies have maps or journals on them, and piecing the evidence together, you are able to determine that the caravan was fleeing a hobgoblin attack on the nearby village of Redburrow.
    Last edited by Othniel; 2018-07-25 at 01:37 PM.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Troll in the Playground

Once the investigation and looting were concluded, Septimus magically repaired one of the wagons and summoned a pair of horses to pull it.

On to Redburrow!

19. - Top - End - #259
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Torg spent the negotiations with the griffons standing a few yards away, looming over everyone else in his towering roc form. He idly preened himself, giving the griffons sharp raptor glares on occasion. The condition of the wagons and the recovered treasure puzzled him, but there seemed to be nothing for it. As the group prepared to head towards Redburrow, he once more took to the skies.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ettin in the Playground

Ulva helped pick through the loot and the wreckage once negotiations were finished, her singular green eye occasionally glancing greedily at these majestic creatures, and in her heart she reached out to pet and cuddle one while her hand gripped a strange polearm. Swinging it around, she felt its balance, and had it appraised by Septimus. She sat in the wagon as it was being fixed, unaware of her surroundings, and stared into the bardiche in deep thought. Suddenly after a minute she stepped out of the wagon and yelped excitedly.

"Guys! Guys! Check this out!" She waved at the party vigorously before brandishing the magical bardiche "Shwing shwong! Meet my new friend, Valkyrie! She really hates elementals, I think. Also she says hi!"
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

21. - Top - End - #261
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Roc-Torg looked down at Ulva with his piercing avian eyes; if a beak could frown, it would be frowning.
    "What... what are you talking about, Ulva?

...What... What's wrong with elementals?"

He ruffled his feathers uncomfortably. He had been keeping his distance from Nora, but now the sense that unknown forces were tightening their grip around his principles was markedly increasing.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ettin in the Playground

Redburrow

Torg would have to wait for an answer to his question, however, for the party moved on. By the time they passed over a hill and spotted the small village of Redburrow, the sun was going down in a blaze of orange far to the west. Those who approached beheld a grisly sight. The ground there was freshly upturned and stained with blood. Several blast craters pocked the area, and a makeshift palisade of sharpened wooden spikes—trampled to flinders in several spots—surrounded the burned-out remains of a dozen small houses. Sickly mist curled up from the blackened soil, and bloodstained weapons and armor lay strewn about the ground. A large building, mostly intact, stood opposite a well in the center of the village. Silence reigned.

Show
    Map: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t#gid=42694115
    I've got you all placed far to the NE (you'll have to scroll sideways), but those of you who wish to explore the town may do so by posting and positioning yourselves.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Torg landed near his companions on the outskirts of town.
    "It is as we feared. I'll do a fly-over, see if there's anything of interest."

He took to the wing, keeping a distance of sixty feet or so from the ground, scanning the ruins for any signs of life, unlife, or anything of interest.

Show

Torg will do a fly-over, keeping about 60 ft. altitude, Perception bonus +17.

He'll do a sweep of the town. He also still has Wild Instinct active, which gives him an additional +5 bonus to Perception to avoid being surprised.

He'll do a scan with Detect Magic, and one with Detect Poison if nothing bothers him.
    Last edited by CockroachTeaParty; 2018-07-27 at 06:15 PM.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ettin in the Playground

Redburrow

As Torg swooped down to detect magic over the largest building, the yellowish fog that had settled in front began to rise straight up toward him.

Show
    The gas wins initiative and double moves straight up. After this, anyone may act.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Torg immediately wheeled about, pumping his wings as fast as he could back out over non-despoiled earth. From on high he shouted down at this companions.
    "Some sort of mist rose up towards me! It means us harm!"
    Last edited by CockroachTeaParty; 2018-07-27 at 06:51 PM.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Troll in the Playground

Septimus dropped Haste and began backing away from the action. "Just shoot it! If magic weapons don't work, then we'll run."

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ettin in the Playground

Nora frowned at what she knew to be a Trench Mist, barking out the basics of such foul aberrations to her colleagues as she waited for Veric to open fire. Once he did, though, she opened up as well at extreme range.

Show
    Swift: Judgment, once again using Justice and Destruction for that sweet +2 to hit and +3 to damage.
    Attack Modifiers: Judgment +2, Volley Fire +1, Haste +1, Rapid Shot -2, Deadly Aim -2, Range -6
    Damage Modifiers: Judgment +3, Deadly Aim +4

Full Attack!

Attack: (1d20+7)[14]
    Damage: (1d8+12)[17]
    Damage: (1d8+12)[14] (Manyshot)
    Attack: (1d20+7)[27] (Rapid Shot)
    Damage: (1d8+12)[16]
    Attack: (1d20+7)[14] (Haste)
    Damage: (1d8+12)[17]
    Attack: (1d20+2)[14]
    Damage: (1d8+12)[20]

28. - Top - End - #268
    Troll in the Playground

I'm Veric pew pew pew.

Spoiler: pew pew pew pew pew
    Show
    1st
    (1d20+7)[12]
    (1d8+4)[11]
    rapid
    (1d20+7)[23]
    (1d8+4)[7]
    hasted
    (1d20+7)[14]
    (1d8+4)[10]
    iterative
    (1d20+2)[19]
    (1d8+4)[12]

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ettin in the Playground

Redburrow

With a final twang of Veric's bowstring, the Trench Mist dissipated as a cloud broken up by a strong breeze.

Show
    End Combat. I'll do XP at the end of Redburrow.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ettin in the Playground

"Did we just shoot a cloud to death?" Nora wondered aloud, before shrugging and putting her weapons away. As she moved into the village, she began a sweep for survivors, magic, useful clues, and evil auras, though she wasn't hopeful about survivors.