New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Awful Monster Names

Quote Originally Posted by frogglesmash View Post
    If you think that's bad, got should check out the art for the century worm.
    WOTC Editor: "The artist sent what? Screw it, we have a deadline. Use it. I put in my two week notice yesterday anyhow."

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    How dare you suggest there could be less than innocent comments made about the name of the noble and illustrious purple worm. Unthinkable!
    "It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity."

Quote Originally Posted by frogglesmash View Post
    If you think that's bad, got should check out the art for the century worm.
    Just don't do it if you're at work

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    WOTC Editor: "The artist sent what? Screw it, we have a deadline. Use it. I put in my two week notice yesterday anyhow."
    "Who's been leaving photocopies of their century worm around the office? I've contacted HR. Cut it out, guys."

Vaporighu (mm2)so is he vaporous? ok, well then what the heck? I know he blows poison gas, but so does lots of stuff
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

3. - Top - End - #183
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    Malastor (mm5) it sounds like the fake name a character in a movie gives when they need to lie about a restaurant reservation, says one syllable, and just keeps going.
    No, it sounds like a villain's name from a direct to video Disney sequel
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    Malastor (mm5) it sounds like the fake name a character in a movie gives when they need to lie about a restaurant reservation, says one syllable, and just keeps going.
    Malastor Oody... sounds like a Parry Otter character.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

5. - Top - End - #185
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire View Post
    I've seen a lot of posts naming the Gorgon in here, so I figure it's worth sharing: though it's misapplied, it's not TSR or WotC that did it. It's actually an author from the 1600s who wrote a book called The Historie of Foure-Footed Beasts. More on that can be found here.

The "Lybian Beast" or "Gorgon."
    I did not know that. I suppose that makes it a bit better.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Awful Monster Names

There was a thread over at EnWorld ages ago where Gygax answered questions, including the origin of many AD&D monsters and their names; pretty sure the Gorgon came up specifically, and yes, he cited the above source.

Just FYI, the Catobelpas, which I believe got mentioned earlier in this thread, is also a creature from real world mythology (Ethiopia). It's name comes from the Greek for "to look downwards" - in myth, the creature was said to have had trouble raising it's head. Which was good, because anyone who met it's gaze was said to die. All in all, D&D stayed relatively true to the real world origins of the creature.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Viscount View Post
    On a different note, its kind of weird that we have one Lord of the Nine named Bel and another named Belial, right? I have no problem with either one of the names, and I know they each have etymologies, but I feel like the organizer wasn't thinking when they put them together.
    Ragewind (Monster Manual II) and Ragewing (Dragon Compendium) are differing in one letter. How easy will it be to get it wrong?

Deliberate example: Wight Dragon.
    (Was Dragon Wight in the article, but Wight Dragon in the actual game)

Astaroth, Unjustly Fallen, apparently, have no relation to Astaroth, Diabolus of Baator

Also, we have absolutely no simple way to differentiate Effigy as Construct from Complete Arcane, and Effigy - as Undead from Monster Manual II
    And Fetch as a Ghost crossbreed from Dragon #313, as CE Outsider from Dragonlance Campaign Setting, and as a result of casting Create Fetch spell from Complete Scoundrel
    Last edited by ShurikVch; 2018-06-01 at 07:24 PM.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShurikVch View Post
    Ragewind (Monster Manual II) and Ragewing (Dragon Compendium) are differing in one letter. How easy will it be to get it wrong?

Deliberate example: Wight Dragon.
    (Was Dragon Wight in the article, but Wight Dragon in the actual game)

Astaroth, Unjustly Fallen, apparently, have no relation to Astaroth, Diabolus of Baator

Also, we have absolutely no simple way to differentiate Effigy as Construct from Complete Arcane, and Effigy - as Undead from Monster Manual II
    And Fetch as a Ghost crossbreed from Dragon #313, as CE Outsider from Dragonlance Campaign Setting, and as a result of casting Create Fetch spell from Complete Scoundrel
    Which of course has no relation to Halaster's fetch.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShurikVch View Post
    Apparently, "Astaroth" is the demonic equivalent of "Bob"...
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    From the FF, we have the “terror bird!” It’s basically an ostrich with a taste for meat. And I mean, ostriches are pretty terrifying in real life, but not to an ECL 4 adventurer. These things aren’t particularly terrifying.
    Terror Birds were a real prehistoric thing, native to South America, died out after it became connected to North America and they had competition that itself had had competition that was able to outperform them when they moved northwards. But for a long time they were the preeminent predators of an entire continent. They were absolutely terrifying.
    Copy this to your signature if you love Jade_Tarem, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

Dual-wield the rainbow. Taste the rainbow.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Remuko View Post
    yeah ive never heard Tiefling pronounced any way other than "Tea" (like the drink) and Fling (like to throw something) put together. Teafling
    Which leads to the "terrible pun version for comic relief" the Coffeeyeet

Quote Originally Posted by Svata View Post
    Terror Birds were a real prehistoric thing, native to South America, died out after it became connected to North America and they had competition that itself had had competition that was able to outperform them when they moved northwards. But for a long time they were the preeminent predators of an entire continent. They were absolutely terrifying.
    Also, in Australia we had "Demon Ducks of Doom"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullockornis
    Last edited by Duff; 2019-07-22 at 11:42 PM.
    I love playing in a party with a couple of power-gamers, it frees me up to be Elan!

12. - Top - End - #192
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

The Mod on the Silver Mountain: Turn unthread!
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2