New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Default magic item crafting question

okay floks question for Item crafting
    for arguments sake say all materials and xp, gold costs ect are not an issue.

lets say the class is Artificer..
    and the UMD score is more than enough to craft ...
    the questions is this.

Item to be crafted umd check for spell to attribute INT: the Bonus type is up in the air.. several spells give Enhancement..

Looking to craft said item with other bonus than enhancement, +4 Sacred in this specific case.. is there a sacred INT granting item or spell to base off of? dmg and other crafting rules aside just looking for options on item and or spell specifically

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: magic item crafting question

if I'm understanding you correctly, you are asking if you can make an item to boost your intelligence, but to grant a sacred bonus instead of an enhancement one?

there is no such item that grants you a sacred bonus to int.

there are no rules for making one. the formula in custom magic items only has enhancement as an option. probably, he will suggest you pay a premium, since sacred is a better type, since it will stack with any enhancement bonus to int you already have.
    Last edited by Venger; 2018-05-29 at 02:27 AM.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I agree with Venger. The item should probably be worth at least 50% more than one with an equivalent enhancement bonus, maybe more.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by samduke View Post
    okay floks question for Item crafting
    for arguments sake say all materials and xp, gold costs ect are not an issue.

lets say the class is Artificer..
    and the UMD score is more than enough to craft ...
    the questions is this.

Item to be crafted umd check for spell to attribute INT: the Bonus type is up in the air.. several spells give Enhancement..

Looking to craft said item with other bonus than enhancement, +4 Sacred in this specific case.. is there a sacred INT granting item or spell to base off of? dmg and other crafting rules aside just looking for options on item and or spell specifically
    Custom item, talk to your DM. However: I'd advise against going down that road. "Oh, so I've got Int-based Save or X effects... and I've already got a +6 Enhancement to Int... can I get +4 Sacred to Int? Nifty! What about +4 luck? +4 Competence? ...." Pretty soon you've got +30 (or whatever) to Int, and you're throwing out save-or-lose effects that pretty much everything needs a 20 to resist. In the end, always winning everything immediately is not good for the fun of the table, and the fun of the table is the real point of the game.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I’m pretty sure that there’s an Artificer infusion that temporarily changes a bonus type, isn’t there? You could just make two +enhancement items and then use that infusion on one to make it another type when doing so is relevant.

As for it being active all day every day, you’re at the mercy of your GM there, and I wouldn’t blame them one bit if they chose not to allow such a thing, as it’s an obvious attempt to do an end run around the limitations and pricing schemes baked into the existing item system.
    Last edited by Zaq; 2018-05-29 at 09:11 AM.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

yes there is the artificer infusion that does it and under DMG rules can be made continuous.. i was hoping that my search for an item was one of just missed it, but seems there is no such item already

thanks all

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

This is what the Spell Research rules are for.
    Totally has to be a DM approved thing, but some research into this should be fine.

As was mentioned, the DMG has a formula for costing. Note that it is more expensive than enhancement, but still feasible at lower levels.