New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Post Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #34: Mere mortal, not immortal, not starcrossed, anymor

Quote Originally Posted by King of Nowere View Post
    Q101: I have a monk and would like to take the benefit of thicket of blades. I do not want to multiclass because I want the spell resistance at higher level (for story reasons). I could consider getting a single level in something else, no more. do I have ways to get thicket of blades?
    A101

You've got a couple of options:

1/2 of all non-initiator class levels count towards IL.

Thicket of Blades is a 3rd level Warblade stance, meaning you need IL 5.

So Monk 8/Warblade 1 could take the stance as the stance known for Warblade 1 (assuming you meet all the other reqs).

You could also get it with the Martial Stance feat, if you meet the reqs and have IL 5 (so Monk 10); you could take it as your 12th level feat.

Finally, there is the magic item option, usually as a Martial Script, which is a consumable item.

[edit] Ninja'd, while I was stuck on a phonecall :/ [/edit]

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #34: Mere mortal, not immortal, not starcrossed, anymor

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    So Monk 8/Warblade 1 could take the stance as the stance known for Warblade 1 (assuming you meet all the other reqs).
    This is incorrect—you can only gain a 1st level stance at Warblade 1.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

Exclamation Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #34: Mere mortal, not immortal, not starcrossed, anymor

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    This is incorrect—you can only gain a 1st level stance at Warblade 1.
    Can I have a citation for that? My understanding is that you can take any stance that you meet the reqs for?

Never mind, I answered my own question:

http://archive.wizards.com/default.a...060802a&page=2

Stances Known: You begin play with knowledge of one 1st-level stance from any discipline open to warblades.
    [edit] ninja'd from being on the phone again! :P [/edit]

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #34: Mere mortal, not immortal, not starcrossed, anymor

Can I have a citation for hat? My understanding is that you can take any stance that you meet the reqs for?
    You are specifically granted a 1st level stance at level 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by TB 22
    Stances Known: You begin play with knowledge of one 1st-level stance from any discipline open to warblades.
    Contrast with the wording for maneuvers, which does allow for higher-level choices.
    Quote Originally Posted by TB 21
    Maneuvers: You begin your career with knowledge of three martial maneuvers. The disciplines available to you are Diamond Mind, Iron Heart, Stone Dragon, Tiger Claw, and White Raven.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Q 100

How do the feats Combat Expertise and Stone Colossus (RoF) interact?

Say I have both feats, and take a -5 penalty to hit. Do I gain a +5 dodge bonus and +5 natural armor bonus to AC?
    A 100

Using either feat is independent from using the other. If you use Combat Expertise for -5/+5, you don't get the bonus from Stone Colossus. The reverse is also true.

However, nothing says you can't use both at one. So you could take -5 on Combat Expertise and -5 on Stone Colossus and gain a total of +10 AC

6. - Top - End - #216
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 102

A question about items familiars:

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    If you ever lose the chosen item (have it removed from your possession for a continuous period of more than one day per level) or if the item is destroyed, you automatically lose 200 XP per level as well as all benefits derived from possessing the linked item (plus any resources you put into the item). If you recover the item, you regain these XP. You may replace a lost or destroyed item familiar after you have advanced one level, as if you were gaining an item familiar for the first time.
    The consequences for losing an item and having it destroyed are the same. However, let's say you've lost an item, and forged a bond with a new one on your next level.

What happen then if you recover the original item that you believed were lost forever?

I doubt you can have two item familiars, so my guess is that forging the new link severed the previous one, making it lose its item familiar properties.

But it would still have its original magic, as well as any other improvements made to it by the same processus as other magical items...
    Last edited by St Fan; 2018-07-06 at 03:37 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Q 103

another question about familiars in general:

Starting at its master's 3rd level, a familiar can deliver a touch spell. How would this ability interact with Produce Flame? could your familiar hold the charge and deliver the touch attacks, and while just holding it, shed light like a torch?
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

8. - Top - End - #218
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q.104

The Divine Oracle prestige class requires that you be able to cast two Divine Spells for entry. Can those be satisfied by two cantrips? Please provide citations.
    I play 3.5 DnD, WoW TCG, Warlord CCG, and DOTA 2.
    Phantom Lancer Ava by Sgt. Cookie!

9. - Top - End - #219
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

A 104. Yes, pg 35 of Complete Divine has no mention of spell level in the requirements.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Muktidata View Post
    Q.104

The Divine Oracle prestige class requires that you be able to cast two Divine Spells for entry. Can those be satisfied by two cantrips? Please provide citations.
    A 104 - Continuation.

Divine Oracle requires you be able to cast two divination spells, not two divine spells. They can, however, be cantrips/orisons.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Q 105

The Inspire Courage handbook mentions that having a level in Sorcerer grants the dragonblood subtype. Is this true?
    Spoiler: List of Things You Don't Need To Know
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    killing and eating a bag of rats is probably kosher.
    Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

A 105 No, it's not.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

13. - Top - End - #223

Q 106

Perusing some forums, I've seen the general thinking seems to be that it is legit by RAW to use Cleave after an Attack of Opportunity that fell its victim, but is considered illogical (after all, the second target didn't provoke an AoO) and thus frequently houseruled against.

However, I do believe there is a RAW argument against it. The rules for Making an Attack of Opportunity state:

"An attack of opportunity is a single melee attack," and also that "[The Combat Reflexes] feat does not let you make more than one attack for a given opportunity,"...

To me, "a single melee attack" would preclude any Cleave to follow. Only feats that explicitly allow more than one melee attack on an AoO (which do exist, like Double Hit from the Miniatures Handbook) can break this limit.

Am I correct with this interpretation?

Q 107
    While I'm at it, this made me think of something else...

The few techniques adding a supplementary attack in exchange for a to-hit malus (most often -2) on all attacks (like Flurry of Blows or Snap Kick) usually specify that the malus carry over to attacks of opportunity made after your turn. In fact, as far as I know it is the case for any technique that lower your chance to hit, like Combat Expertise or Power Attack.

However, is it the case with Two-Weapon Fighting? Do you still have the malus to your primary hand to Attacks of Opportunity following an off-hand attack?

What made me wonder is how exactly it interacts with the aforementioned "Double Hit" feat...

Quote Originally Posted by Miniatures Handbook
    When making an attack of opportunity, you may make an attack with your off hand against the same target at the same time. You must decide before your first attack roll whether you want to also use your off hand. If you do, both attacks take the standard penalties for fighting with two weapons.
    Last edited by St Fan; 2018-07-08 at 04:18 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

14. - Top - End - #224
    Titan in the Playground

A 106 No

A 107 Yes. Yes.

Double hit doesn't change anything. You follow twfing rules normally.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Iron Chef Medals!

15. - Top - End - #225

A 106 No

A 107 Yes. Yes.
    I'd love to see an actual argument rather than terse answers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #34: Mere mortal, not immortal, not starcrossed, anymor

Q 108

Does wearing a spiked gauntlet impede the use of that hand for other tasks, such as wielding a different weapon, casting spells or using a skill such as Disable Device? Citation needed if possible, please.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Nerdomancer in the Playground Moderator

DruidGuy

Q 109

RAI for the Dragonborn template seems to be that you must be good, but RAW doesn't explicitly state that it has a alignment restriction. Can you in fact be evil and be a dragonborn?
    Spoiler: Medals & Current Characters
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    More sources, more choices, more power. Welcome to D&D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

Exclamation Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #34: Mere mortal, not immortal, not starcrossed, anymor

A 109

You don't need to be good, but you do need to be non-evil:

Quote Originally Posted by RotD p.8
    Prerequisites: In order to be accepted as a suitable candidate, the supplicant must be non-evil and have an Intelligence score of at least 3.
    There are also consequences to becoming evil after gaining the template, as per the Tarnished Dragonborn section (RotD p.15).

19. - Top - End - #229

Goblin

Q 110

Does the duskblade's Arcane Channeling ability allow him to channel a spell from a wand?

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

A 108 You only take penalties that are printed. Spiked gauntlet and "finesse"-like skills such as disable device lack any such proviso that spiked gauntlets impede their operation. You take no penalty, but I can't cite what doesn't exist.

A 110 No.

Iron Chef Medals!

21. - Top - End - #231
    Orc in the Playground

Q 111
    Can i use the power Animal Affinity multiple times to different stats or does it count as same source and doesnt stack?

Q 112
    If i have supernatural transformation for my psionic powers. Are every power standard action to manifest or do they have their normal manifest time?

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

A 111 Yes, you can use it on multiple stats.

A 112 Supernatural transformation doesn't affect manifesting time. It is unchanged.

Iron Chef Medals!

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wacky89 View Post
    Q 111
    Can i use the power Animal Affinity multiple times to different stats or does it count as same source and doesnt stack?
    If the bonus is to a different attribute, then the stacking rules don't come into play, so this works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Wacky89 View Post
    Q 112
    If i have supernatural transformation for my psionic powers. Are every power standard action to manifest or do they have their normal manifest time?
    Supernatural Transformation only works on an innate spell-like ability. "My psionic powers" is not a legal choice.
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2018-07-09 at 04:33 AM.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by St Fan View Post
    I'd love to see an actual argument rather than terse answers.
    This is simple RAW thread, not the place for arguments when the answer is as simple as that. If you want to have an argument about the topic, either for or against, start a separate thread.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2018-07-09 at 09:36 AM.

25. - Top - End - #235

A 111 contention

A 111 Yes, you can use it on multiple stats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    If the bonus is to a different attribute, then the stacking rules don't come into play, so this works fine.
    You are both wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Same Effect with Differing Results
    The same power or spell can sometimes produce varying effects if applied to the same recipient more than once. The last effect in a series trumps the others. None of the previous spells or powers are actually removed or dispelled, but their effects become irrelevant while the final spell or power in the series lasts.
    No spell or power stack with itself, unless there is a specific exception given in the spell/power's description.

Animal Affinity only affect one attribute, and initiating it again just replace which attribute, overriding the previous use.

To affect more than one attribute, you specifically use the "Augment" variant of the power, which cost 5 additional power points. Trying to cheap out by initiating the power again isn't allowed, and it would render this option nonsensical.
    Last edited by St Fan; 2018-07-09 at 01:10 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

A 111 again We both already answered this question correctly. Please don't muddy the waters.

The augment allows you to boost more than one ability simultaneously. That's the utility it offers over manifesting the power once for strength and once for dexterity, for example.

Iron Chef Medals!

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by St Fan View Post
    A 111 contention

You are both wrong.

No spell or power stack with itself, unless there is a specific exception given in the spell/power's description.

Animal Affinity only affect one attribute, and initiating it again just replace which attribute, overriding the previous use.

To affect more than one attribute, you specifically use the "Augment" variant of the power, which cost 5 additional power points. Trying to cheap out by initiating the power again isn't allowed, and it would render this option nonsensical.
    I'll answer this as if it were another question.

You've referenced the stacking rules from the SRD, which is stripped of the examples. Here is the original text from the PHB.
    The same spell can sometimes produce varying effects if applied to the same recipient more than once. For example, a series of polymorph spells might turn a creature into a mouse, a lion, and then a snail. In this case, the last spell in the series trumps the others. None of the previous spells are actually removed or dispelled, but their effects become irrelevant while the final spell in the series lasts.
    The rules go on to clarify how it works when spells are rendered irrelevant.
    Sometimes, one spell can render a later spell irrelevant. For example, if a wizard is using a shapechange spell to take the shape of an eagle, a polymorph spell could change her into a goldfish. The shapechange spell is not negated, however, and since the polymorph spell has no effect on the recipient’s special abilities, the wizard could use the shapechange effect to take any form the spell allows whenever she desires. If a creature using a shapechange effect becomes petrified by a flesh to stone spell, however, it turns into a mindless, inert statue, and the shapechange effect cannot help it escape.
    TL;DR the previous castings are still active and providing their bonuses. New castings do nothing to override that.

28. - Top - End - #238

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    Q 110

Does the duskblade's Arcane Channeling ability allow him to channel a spell from a wand?
    Sorry, I have a corollary to add, because I forgot one piece of the question.

Q 110b

A duskblade cannot channel a spell from a wand. Is there an exception if he's got the wand in a wand chamber in his weapon?

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

A 110b That does not change the answer. Arcane channeling allows a duskblade to channel spells that he gets via slots from being a duskblade. Regardless of how he owns, handles, or uses wands, arcane channeling does not allow him to use wands.

Iron Chef Medals!

30. - Top - End - #240

Goblin

A 110b That does not change the answer. Arcane channeling allows a duskblade to channel spells that he gets via slots from being a duskblade. Regardless of how he owns, handles, or uses wands, arcane channeling does not allow him to use wands.
    Technically, it says he can channel any spell he knows: it doesn't restrict him to just his duskblade spells.

Okay, no more tangents, Blue Jay.