New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Grrl Power IV: Constantly Expanded Universe

In general I would describe her as the most stressed character in the series. So of course she would be the one with the most pronounced jawline.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

2. - Top - End - #872

I dunno, I think the general would give her competition if we ever saw him.

3. - Top - End - #873
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

https://grrlpowercomic.com/archives/...42-predenuded/

So I found this during an archive trawl. Long-term foreshadowing, or funny coincidence?

4. - Top - End - #874
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    https://grrlpowercomic.com/archives/...42-predenuded/

So I found this during an archive trawl. Long-term foreshadowing, or funny coincidence?
    Good question. It certainly set up the possibility in general, but if it was a direct foreshadowing? Unless Frix becomes an important character and his fling with Sydney grows over time into something more (which would imply that his appearence was planned in advance), then probably not.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

5. - Top - End - #875

Sydney's back, and Arianna's blood pressure just jumped twenty points.

6. - Top - End - #876
    Colossus in the Playground

The thing is, this isnt sydneys fault. She has zero say on how or where cora lands her ship. That being said, arianna really really REALLY should be sprinting up to sydney with duct tape in hand to silence her before she ruins everything. Its already ruined, but there might be something she can salvage with this so long as sydney stops talking right now. "I never said where she was sequestered or with whom doing the training. Obviously we didnt want to spread this around but it looks like the genitals are unveiled here" Then go on into talking about friendly contacts and blah blah blah.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

7. - Top - End - #877

I think we're about to find out if Sydney actually paid attention in her Managing the Media classes.

8. - Top - End - #878
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    I think we're about to find out if Sydney actually paid attention in her Managing the Media classes.
    That's always been "NO" in this comic before now.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

9. - Top - End - #879
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    She has zero say on how or where cora lands her ship.
    So Cora just decides to land at Archon HQ? Eh. Not seeing it. Sydney could have had her land literally anywhere - heck, hover anywhere, since Sydney can travel in excess of mach 4 now. Fast enough, according to Word of God, to get her to the other side of the planet in under a hour...

Heck, since Sydney's spaceflight-capable, nothing stops her from just hopping out an airlock and flying under her own power back home.

Sydney's thought is probably: "I guess if the cat's out of the bag, it's ... okay for me to show up with some aliens of my own?"
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

10. - Top - End - #880

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    So Cora just decides to land at Archon HQ? Eh. Not seeing it. Sydney could have had her land literally anywhere - heck, hover anywhere, since Sydney can travel in excess of mach 4 now. Fast enough, according to Word of God, to get her to the other side of the planet in under a hour...

Heck, since Sydney's spaceflight-capable, nothing stops her from just hopping out an airlock and flying under her own power back home.

Sydney's thought is probably: "I guess if the cat's out of the bag, it's ... okay for me to show up with some aliens of my own?"
    It was probably more "No real need to hide if aliens are known" Which honestly was very very stupid of her. She has no idea if just because THESE aliens are seen on africa, it means its somehow ok for her to bring aliens to archon openly. And stupider of cora who i would expect would be more familiar with the concept of not making decisions above your pay grade. The proper response would have been to follow the plan you were given in the first place. After all, its just as likely that they wanted her hidden BECAUSE of these other aliens. Things are likely panicky enough as it is, the last thing we need are even more aliens from other races showing up wherever they want. Seriously, the more I think of it, the more I am disappointed with cora. Sydney is still a total noob on these situations. Cora has been galaxy hopping for an unknown length of time, but long enough to understand how procedures work.

Also, sydney needs a freaking vacation. Seriously guys, if she had been a full fledged member of archon and not just a trainee she has still been through extensive high end combat, life and death matters, figuring out ways of escaping enemy territory completely on her own, and in all ways been through the ringer. Yeah the wrap up went really well for her, but even so. She has been on a serious tour of duty and she hasnt even gotten out of basic training yet. Give her some time off.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

11. - Top - End - #881

By military regs, after a prolonged stretch behind enemy lines she'd get a psych eval to make sure there isn't any PTSD issues. We all know Sydney will fail any psych eval ever conceived.

12. - Top - End - #882

By military regs, after a prolonged stretch behind enemy lines she'd get a psych eval to make sure there isn't any PTSD issues. We all know Sydney will fail any psych eval ever conceived.
    Oh come on now, she isnt crazy, just hyper as heck off her meds. Dont military regs also provide for taking leave time after doing a tour of duty? I count fighting an alien army single handed after being stuck behind enemy lines and having to make your way to safety without support as a decent tour of duty. Especially for a freaking trainee still in basic!

13. - Top - End - #883
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

It was probably more "how badly do Archon want to piss off Cora?"

Cora is dangerous. She smeared a gang of hijackers with ease, and she showed up at a world Dabbler, Max and Halo got chased off from armed for bear and ready to fight it out.

Cora was intent on going down with no stealth, Sydney could have tried to stop her, and might have survived, but Cora might have been a bit miffed.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

14. - Top - End - #884

Oh come on now, she isnt crazy, just hyper as heck off her meds. Dont military regs also provide for taking leave time after doing a tour of duty? I count fighting an alien army single handed after being stuck behind enemy lines and having to make your way to safety without support as a decent tour of duty. Especially for a freaking trainee still in basic!
    Just because a battle is over doesn't mean the tour is done. Those generally go for at least a year.

15. - Top - End - #885

Just because a battle is over doesn't mean the tour is done. Those generally go for at least a year.
    True, but again, not for a trainee who found herself way outside of what she was supposed to be there to do. A cop after being in a situation where he has to use his gun is, among other things, sent home on administrative leave. Super powered or not, thats what archon honestly is supposed to be, a police force for superpowered issues in america. So its probably better to take things from that angle as much as possible. Sydney was in a high stakes shootout where its entirely likely she killed a lot of beings, unless we have reason to think it was all drone or otherwise robotic combat, then had to go through all that other stressful stuff on top of it. Again, I dont think a bit of leave time is unwarranted. "Go home sydney, we have your report, take a week or two off, relax, run your comic shop, we will call you back in when its time and we can hopefully finish your training uninterrupted this time." I mean, tossing her right back into training probably wouldnt be the most compassionate or reasonable of ideas.

16. - Top - End - #886

For the record, most cops in the U.S. are tossed into the streets to work with four weeks of training. People going from an abbreviated basic to the frontlines is also a time honored tradition. I doubt Archon has less of a fetish for OJT.

17. - Top - End - #887
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    It was probably more "how badly do Archon want to piss off Cora?"

Cora is dangerous. She smeared a gang of hijackers with ease, and she showed up at a world Dabbler, Max and Halo got chased off from armed for bear and ready to fight it out.

Cora was intent on going down with no stealth, Sydney could have tried to stop her, and might have survived, but Cora might have been a bit miffed.
    I think you are exaggerating how hostile Cora is. From the looks of things she mostly didn't want to sneak down for the inconvenience of it. I think that's likely the same reason she went straight to Archon HQ. Also I suspect she wants to meet up with Dabbler, swap some war stories, have some good old clean family fun and maybe see the sights while she's here.

True, but again, not for a trainee who found herself way outside of what she was supposed to be there to do. A cop after being in a situation where he has to use his gun is, among other things, sent home on administrative leave. Super powered or not, thats what archon honestly is supposed to be, a police force for superpowered issues in america. So its probably better to take things from that angle as much as possible. Sydney was in a high stakes shootout where its entirely likely she killed a lot of beings, unless we have reason to think it was all drone or otherwise robotic combat, then had to go through all that other stressful stuff on top of it. Again, I dont think a bit of leave time is unwarranted. "Go home sydney, we have your report, take a week or two off, relax, run your comic shop, we will call you back in when its time and we can hopefully finish your training uninterrupted this time." I mean, tossing her right back into training probably wouldnt be the most compassionate or reasonable of ideas.
    Not to mention her family is likely freaking out a little bit.

Like, I get why Arianna is angry, as she's had a long day, and Halo showed up at the most embarrassing moment possible. But that's not Halo's fault at all. If it had happened about oh, I don't know, 10 minutes earlier, it would've been almost perfect timing for Arianna.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

18. - Top - End - #888

For the record, most cops in the U.S. are tossed into the streets to work with four weeks of training. People going from an abbreviated basic to the frontlines is also a time honored tradition. I doubt Archon has less of a fetish for OJT.
    Yeah but she is flat out not done with training yet. The only reason she is even there is specifically because they needed her power set for whatever reason. And maxima was not happy about it. And even if the fetish for ojt is true, you have to admit being abandoned in the back end of the galaxy and fighting off an alien armada bent on genocide while trying to figure out a way home is NOT a standard patrol she should be expected to just roll with without repercussions.

19. - Top - End - #889
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    I think you are exaggerating how hostile Cora is. From the looks of things she mostly didn't want to sneak down for the inconvenience of it. I think that's likely the same reason she went straight to Archon HQ. Also I suspect she wants to meet up with Dabbler, swap some war stories, have some good old clean family fun and maybe see the sights while she's here.
    I am not saying Cora is in any way hostile now. I am saying we didn't see whether there was an extended discussion after Sydney suggested the cat being out of the bag was an equivalent of her expression. I think if there was any sign at all that Cora was getting annoyed, doing exactly what she suggested would be Sydney's most responsible reaction.

Cora can probably deal with the Alari in any way they need to be dealt with, and Earth even as a whole can't do that, shelter for a while sure, but getting them elsewhere no, fighting them off no. I sort of gather that both Cora and the Alari shouldn't be here without stealth, but I think Cora is a kind of "rules annoy me" type, with the firepower to back that up in most situations, particularly including this one.

It's going to be interesting to see Cora's interactions with Deus and his retinue.

On the matter of Sydney needing leave, sure, but let's get this situation settled first, she needs to introduce Cora, and until Dabbler shows up, I think Sydney is needed as a liason to Cora.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2019-03-25 at 07:50 PM.

20. - Top - End - #890

And even if the fetish for ojt is true, you have to admit being abandoned in the back end of the galaxy and fighting off an alien armada bent on genocide while trying to figure out a way home is NOT a standard patrol she should be expected to just roll with without repercussions.
    Hence my post about her needing the mandatory psych eval, which (being Sydney) she will fail on multiple vectors (ADHD, Delusional, some narcissistic behavior, the occasional bout of psychotic rage, etc).

21. - Top - End - #891
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Hence my post about her needing the mandatory psych eval, which (being Sydney) she will fail on multiple vectors (ADHD, Delusional, some narcissistic behavior, the occasional bout of psychotic rage, etc).
    Im pretty sure that ship would have sailed a long time ago if those were considered "failure". Its not like she made a secret of them, and indeed they were known issues when she was recruited.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

22. - Top - End - #892
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

That was even explained when Heatwave was introduced, IIRC. The bar for high-grade superpowers is so strict that certain other qualities have to be cut some slack to let people quality. For Heatwave it's her...intellectual processing bandwidth. Sydney gets a pass on her psych irregularities.

"Turns out, the rarity of super powers in this world does mean you don’t always get to be quite as picky when it comes to some of the other desired attributes when recruiting. Heatwave just has a different, some would say slower, method of processing data. Some would just say she’s dumb. But she can follow orders, fly, and her heat rays are formidable. She’s not going to lead her own squad, but she’s still a valuable asset. "

https://grrlpowercomic.com/archives/...re-eventually/
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2019-03-26 at 01:17 PM.

23. - Top - End - #893
    Titan in the Playground

I honestly think Sydney's irregularities are a bigger issue.
    Yes Heatwave is a little slow on the uptake.

But i would say its more a case of lagging a positive quality, compared to
    being a potential liability the way Sydney is.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

24. - Top - End - #894
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post

Doesn't matter. Because they can't stop Sydney from having her powers, so they would pretty much recruit her no matter what because at the very least they want her close by to keep an eye on her.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

25. - Top - End - #895
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Course, the fun question is going to be how Ariana explains Sydney's training considering Sydney's returned with aliens.

Cause if she sticks with the lie, then she's tacitly admitting that the Gov has known about aliens before the Alari ship showed up... something they were trying to keep hush on.

26. - Top - End - #896

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post

Her irregularities havent been shown to do much more than make people facepalm, on the bad side, and on the good side have done things like allow her to put together plans to take down bad guys that are on the verge of executing maxima and walking away because nobody can stop him. Yes she is a potential liability in the area of public relations, but as a super cop she is pretty dang effective, and her power set makes her an excellent fit for virtually any scenario you care to name. Other than quietly standing guard perhaps.

27. - Top - End - #897
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Other than quietly standing guard perhaps.
    Well, considering the reactions of folks when they're stuck with her for a little bit when she's spazzing, she'd be a perfect guard.

Nobody'd want to be within a parsec of her, for fear of drawing her attention...

28. - Top - End - #898
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

I am not saying Cora is in any way hostile now. I am saying we didn't see whether there was an extended discussion after Sydney suggested the cat being out of the bag was an equivalent of her expression. I think if there was any sign at all that Cora was getting annoyed, doing exactly what she suggested would be Sydney's most responsible reaction.

Cora can probably deal with the Alari in any way they need to be dealt with, and Earth even as a whole can't do that, shelter for a while sure, but getting them elsewhere no, fighting them off no. I sort of gather that both Cora and the Alari shouldn't be here without stealth, but I think Cora is a kind of "rules annoy me" type, with the firepower to back that up in most situations, particularly including this one.

It's going to be interesting to see Cora's interactions with Deus and his retinue.

On the matter of Sydney needing leave, sure, but let's get this situation settled first, she needs to introduce Cora, and until Dabbler shows up, I think Sydney is needed as a liason to Cora.
    That was all supposing Cora is who she says she is.

Last night I had the thought "what if she's the person going "Found You" (about Dabbler?)" in panel 3 of this page:

https://grrlpowercomic.com/archives/...um-steepleage/

Then Sydney is doing an excellent job of "you don't know that I know that you know who I am", Dabbler is probably in for a fight, Max is in for a fight, and Sydney is probably sidelined at best until the fight starts.

It might not go that way, Cora could be a sort of good guy (seems to be a bit of a tough justice type (Judge Dredd style rough) at least), but I won't be totally surprised now if she isn't.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2019-03-27 at 02:12 PM.

29. - Top - End - #899
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

That was all supposing Cora is who she says she is.

Last night I had the thought "what if she's the person going "Found You" (about Dabbler?)" in panel 3 of this page:

https://grrlpowercomic.com/archives/...um-steepleage/

Then Sydney is doing an excellent job of "you don't know that I know that you know who I am", Dabbler is probably in for a fight, Max is in for a fight, and Sydney is probably sidelined at best until the fight starts.

It might not go that way, Cora could be a sort of good guy (seems to be a bit of a tough justice type (Judge Dredd style rough) at least), but I won't be totally surprised now if she isn't.
    Given that Cora seems to have contacted Dabbler, it seems unlikely theyre actually secretly enemies.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

30. - Top - End - #900
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Given that Cora seems to have contacted Dabbler, it seems unlikely theyre actually secretly enemies.
    Yeah, but I don't remember any confirmation that that's been a two way contact (my memory is pretty gawd dang random).

Cora is pretty clearly Maxima level on her own, and I presume the ship which seems to me to be nearer USS Enterprise in size than the Apollo landers has some capacity too.

She's come in without stealth, which means to me that she expects to be able to deal with anybody who queries that, even if they are not local. She could be galactic level CIA equivalent, or she could be rouge (sic), but she expects to get away with coming in unstealthed.

Arianne is totally out of luck either way, her job is telling as few detectable lies as possible, and Sydney and co. just blew that out of the water hard, whichever way the story goes from here. Somehow I think the author doesn't like corporate shills.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2019-03-27 at 02:54 PM.