New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 51 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333449 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e 4: Smackdown v. RAW

Quote Originally Posted by Galithar View Post
    You can dash multiple times, but second wind is a fighter healing ability.
    Did you mean Monk step of the wind? Takes a bonus action.
    Or action surge? Which would work.
    Haste would also allow a Dash.

Action: Dash
    Bonus Action (Step of the Wind, Cunning Action or Expeditious Retreat): Dash
    Action Surge: Dash
    Haste Action: Dash

C.227

Thanks for the answer. I asked because i thought there used to be a rule that limited you to two moves. And yes, I meant Action Surge not Second Wind. I always make that mistake. It must be because it has "second" in the name.

2. - Top - End - #692
    Titan in the Playground

Q229: What information do you get from detect magic on a shapechanger in an alternate form?

Magic, but no school?
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

3. - Top - End - #693

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    Q229: What information do you get from detect magic on a shapechanger in an alternate form?

Magic, but no school?
    A229: Usually no. The polymorph effect isn’t stated as being magical. For further reading: https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questi...=SearchResults
    Last edited by E’Tallitnics; 2019-03-17 at 10:18 AM.

4. - Top - End - #694
    Titan in the Playground

Q230: Regarding the effects of conditions:

A: Are attack rolls ability checks?
    B: Are skill checks ability checks?
    C: Are saving throws ability checks?
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

5. - Top - End - #695
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    Q230: Regarding the effects of conditions:

A: Are attack rolls ability checks?
    B: Are skill checks ability checks?
    C: Are saving throws ability checks?
    A230

Technically, what you think are Skill Checks are actually Ability Checks with a Skill Proficiency tacked on as a bonus.

If it doesn't use your Hit bonuses (like an Attack does), and it's not a Saving Throw, it's an Ability Check.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-03-18 at 11:45 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

6. - Top - End - #696
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Q231.

When playing on a grid, does RAW provide any clear statement of precisely which squares a grappled creature enters when dragged by a grappler?

E.g., I stand side-by-side with an enemy and grapple her. Then I walk forward for my double-cost movement and drag her along. Does she stay side-by-side, does she get dragged into the squares I depart, or is RAW silent on the exact movement pattern? One presumes she must, at minimum, stay adjacent to my character.

7. - Top - End - #697

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisBean View Post
    Q231.

When playing on a grid, does RAW provide any clear statement of precisely which squares a grappled creature enters when dragged by a grappler?

E.g., I stand side-by-side with an enemy and grapple her. Then I walk forward for my double-cost movement and drag her along. Does she stay side-by-side, does she get dragged into the squares I depart, or is RAW silent on the exact movement pattern? One presumes she must, at minimum, stay adjacent to my character.
    A231

While most sources don't mention grappling and positioning explicitly, it may help to have this:

PHB p. 191: A creature's space is the area in feet that it effectively controls in combat, not an expression of its physical dimensions. A typical Medium creature isn't 5 feet wide, for example, but it does control a space that wide.

The grid is an abstraction, not showing precisely where everyone is, but where they're allowed to interact. In your example, you are pushing/dragging the creature physically, but you always have your own individual spaces on the grid (unless you're squeezing or Small, or using some other rule that allows you to occupy the same space as another creature).
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-03-18 at 04:53 PM.
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.

8. - Top - End - #698
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q232 Wall of Force says you can create a sphere. Can I trap a creature inside a 'bubble'?

9. - Top - End - #699

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dmdork View Post
    Q232 Wall of Force says you can create a sphere. Can I trap a creature inside a 'bubble'?
    A233: Yes. However it’ll be up to the DM to determine the entire Large creature fits inside the 10' sphere.

Remember that a Large creature controls a 10x10 foot area on the ground, but many can be taller than 10'!

10. - Top - End - #700
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q233 My friend and I both play wizards. I cast a spell, and the drow counters me. Can my wizard friend counter the drow's counter spell?

11. - Top - End - #701
    Bugbear in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dmdork View Post
    Q233 My friend and I both play wizards. I cast a spell, and the drow counters me. Can my wizard friend counter the drow's counter spell?
    As long as he meets the requirements.

1. Within the 60 foot range of the spell
    2. Can see the Drow casting the counterspell
    3. Has a reaction available
    4. Has a spell slot available
    (I know those last two are super basic, I'm just trying to be thorough)

Also it's worth noting that you yourself can counterspell the counterspell of that Drow yourself so long as you meet the requirements. Reactions may be taken during any turn, including your own, so long as the trigger has been satisfied. There is also no restrictions on casting reaction spells and action spells on your turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage Advice
    Can you cast a reaction spell on your turn? You sure can!
    Here’s a common way for it to happen: Cornelius the wizard is casting fireball on his turn, and his foe casts counterspell on him. Cornelius also has counterspell prepared, so he uses his reaction to cast it and break his foe’s counterspell before it can stop fireball.
    Edit: Fixed quote tags
    Last edited by Galithar; 2019-03-19 at 04:24 AM.

12. - Top - End - #702
    Pixie in the Playground

Can an oathbow be a kensei weapon? One of the oathbow properties on roll20's list is "heavy", so im not sure. But is the oathbow considered a longbow or no? also, which adventures in AL can i find an oathbow?

13. - Top - End - #703
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q234 do you lose non-concentration spell (like see invisibility) when you go to 0 hp?

14. - Top - End - #704

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Myth27 View Post
    Q234 do you lose non-concentration spell (like see invisibility) when you go to 0 hp?
    A234: No you do not. If you did the spell description would say so.

15. - Top - End - #705

Quote Originally Posted by Myth27 View Post
    A234

No.

Concentration ends if you are "Being Incapacitated or killed. You lose concentration on a spell if you are Incapacitated or if you die", but there is no rule that states that a duration spell ends because its target or caster falls unconscious or dies.

5th Edition Homebrewery

16. - Top - End - #706
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    A231
    Q231.

While most sources don't mention grappling and positioning explicitly, it may help to have this:

PHB p. 191: A creature's space is the area in feet that it effectively controls in combat, not an expression of its physical dimensions. A typical Medium creature isn't 5 feet wide, for example, but it does control a space that wide.
    This did not address my question, which is about location rather than dimension. I'm thinking of things like cliff edges, or Spike Growth, etc. Is there anything else? I'm guessing that the answer to my question is "no?"

17. - Top - End - #707

This did not address my question, which is about location rather than dimension. I'm thinking of things like cliff edges, or Spike Growth, etc. Is there anything else? I'm guessing that the answer to my question is "no?"
    The locations on the grid are that you both always have your own space. If you push him back one square, and you want to stay grappled, you have to move into his previously inhabited square at the same time. Never, at any time (unless there's some kind of exception, like a Swarm or something) should you be occupying the same square/space as your target.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-03-19 at 04:23 PM.

5th Edition Homebrewery

18. - Top - End - #708
    Bugbear in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

That is all the relevant RAW information that I am away of. Beyond that the answer is "Ask your DM"

19. - Top - End - #709
    Orc in the Playground

q235a
    does song of rest give an extra dice on every hit die a person uses or only the first
    q235b
    do i get to see the dice when using cutting words

20. - Top - End - #710
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 236

Can a Paladin with a focus a shield Emblem can cast spell even with a weapon in the other hand?

Errata nov 2018
    Spellcasting
    Material (M) (p. 203). The final para-
    graph now reads, “A spellcaster must
    have a hand free to access a spell’s ma-
    terial components—or to hold a spell-
    casting focus—but it can be the same
    hand that he or she uses to perform
    somatic components.”
    From D&D byond

Emblem
    Holy symbol, common
    Customize
    Weight:
    --
    Cost:
    5 gp
    A holy symbol is a representation of a god or pantheon. A cleric or paladin can use a holy symbol as a spellcasting focus, as described in the Spellcasting section. To use the symbol in this way, the caster must hold it in hand, wear it visibly, or bear it on a shield.
    Last edited by BloodSnake'sCha; 2019-03-21 at 12:57 AM.

21. - Top - End - #711
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Torpin View Post
    q235a
    does song of rest give an extra dice on every hit die a person uses or only the first
    q235b
    do i get to see the dice when using cutting words
    A 235a
    They get one dice per short rest they used for hit dice healing, not per dice.

Song of Rest
    Beginning at 2nd level, you can use soothing music or oration to help revitalize your wounded allies during a short rest. If you or any friendly creatures who can hear your performance regain hit points at the end of the short rest by spending one or more Hit Dice, each of those creatures regains an extra 1d6 hit points.
    A 235b
    You can see the roll, not if it is a hit or the end result (before modifiers).

Cutting Words
    Also at 3rd level, you learn how to use your wit to distract, confuse, and otherwise sap the confidence and competence of others. When a creature that you can see within 60 feet of you makes an attack roll, an ability check, or a damage roll, you can use your reaction to expend one of your uses of Bardic Inspiration, rolling a Bardic Inspiration die and subtracting the number rolled from the creature’s roll. You can choose to use this feature after the creature makes its roll, but before the DM determines whether the attack roll or ability check succeeds or fails, or before the creature deals its damage. The creature is immune if it can’t hear you or if it’s immune to being charmed.

22. - Top - End - #712
    Ogre in the Playground

A 236

Yes, but only if the spell requires a trivial-cost material component. The specific rule about paladins and clerics being able to integrate holy symbols into their shields overrides the general rule about spellcasting foci needing to be handled. But if the spell does not require a material component (or it requires a pricey component), then the paladin or cleric must have a hand free to perform the somatic component (or manipulate the pricey material component).

Powers &8^]
    Last edited by LtPowers; 2019-03-22 at 10:04 AM.

23. - Top - End - #713
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Q237

If you have control of a monster with class spell casting through a permanent feature, can you have the monster change its prepared spells?

For example, if a necromancer wizard uses control undead to control a mummy lord (lvl 10 cleric casting), could he have the mummy change out harm for true seeing after a long rest on the basis that clerics have access to their whole spell list?

24. - Top - End - #714
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by thatoneotherguy View Post
    Q237

If you have control of a monster with class spell casting through a permanent feature, can you have the monster change its prepared spells?

For example, if a necromancer wizard uses control undead to control a mummy lord (lvl 10 cleric casting), could he have the mummy change out harm for true seeing after a long rest on the basis that clerics have access to their whole spell list?
    A 237 Not without DM's approval (and selection of spells). Monsters, while they cast "as" a <spell-caster> of the indicated level, are not a spell-caster of the indicated level. Thus, they don't have the class features that allow changes in spell selection unless the DM says otherwise.
    Last edited by PhoenixPhyre; 2019-03-22 at 03:24 PM.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

25. - Top - End - #715
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

A233 Quote Originally Posted by Sage Advice
    Can you cast a reaction spell on your turn? You sure can!
    Here’s a common way for it to happen: Cornelius the wizard is casting fireball on his turn, and his foe casts counterspell on him. Cornelius also has counterspell prepared, so he uses his reaction to cast it and break his foe’s counterspell before it can stop fireball.

Isn't Cornelius casting two spells on his turn? I thought you couldn't do that....

26. - Top - End - #716
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q238 can you cast two spells on your turn, if you are a fighter/wizard (action surge)?

27. - Top - End - #717
    Troll in the Playground

A238 Yes. Just don't cast a bonus action spell or the answer gets more complicated.
    Last edited by Dalebert; 2019-03-22 at 11:20 PM.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

28. - Top - End - #718
    Pixie in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Q239 Ritual casting:
    Can warlok with Book of Ancient Secrets scribe their own ritual spells?
    Can celestial soul sorcerer scribe cleric rituals as sorcerer rituals?
    If i'm fighter4 that MC in wizard 1 lvl deep, can I scribe 3th lvl spells in book?

29. - Top - End - #719
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Erfar View Post
    Q239 Ritual casting:
    Can warlok with Book of Ancient Secrets scribe their own ritual spells?
    Can celestial soul sorcerer scribe cleric rituals as sorcerer rituals?
    If i'm fighter4 that MC in wizard 1 lvl deep, can I scribe 3th lvl spells in book?
    A239 (b): For your second point, sorcerers do not get the Ritual Casting benefit, so normally they cannot use their cleric or sorcerer spells as rituals.

If they have the Ritual Caster feat, then the answer gets complicated. RAW doesn't seem to support scribing ritual spells you know from non-written sources. By RAW, you would have to craft a scroll of a ritual spell and then copy it into your ritual book, if the DM permits that. You would first need to consult the table on page 133 of XGtE to make the scroll, then take 2 hours per level of the spell and spend 50gp per level to scribe it into your ritual book. It could take weeks and thousands of gold.

A Divine Soul Sorcerer with the Ritual Caster [Sorcerer] feat could scribe any cleric spells they have learned that they find in their ritual book because those spells are sorcerer spells for them. If they have not learned the spell, it is not a sorcerer spell for them and they cannot scribe it. If they had the Ritual Caster [Cleric] feat, then they could scribe any cleric spells they found into their ritual book.

Divine Magic can be a weird feature.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

30. - Top - End - #720

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Q.240
    I forget, does RAW state whether multiple magic missiles from the same casting on the same target causes multiple concentration saves?

I assume the answer is no, and that people just argue ad infinitum, but I wanted to be sure.