New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 38 of 51 FirstFirst ... 13282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1521
  1. - Top - End - #1111
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e 4: Smackdown v. RAW

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Q 383
    About the ring option of the wall of fire spell. Assuming I select the outside side of the ring to be the one that deals damage, then do we take damage if we are inside the ring?

Thanks in advance.
    A 383: Nope! As the spell states only one side does damage. Do keep in mind that the fire is opaque.

2. - Top - End - #1112
    Banned

Goblin

Q 384

Tempest Domain Cleric's Wrath of the Storm feature can only be used number of times equal your WIS modifier. However, a Theurgy Wizard with Tempest Domain gets it at 6th level. As the class seems to replace WIS with INT for all other Cleric abilities Wizard gets, like Channel Divinity Save DC, should it means number of times I can use Wrath of the Storm is determined by INT modifier or is it still WIS?

3. - Top - End - #1113
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Man on Fire View Post
    Q 384

Tempest Domain Cleric's Wrath of the Storm feature can only be used number of times equal your WIS modifier. However, a Theurgy Wizard with Tempest Domain gets it at 6th level. As the class seems to replace WIS with INT for all other Cleric abilities Wizard gets, like Channel Divinity Save DC, should it means number of times I can use Wrath of the Storm is determined by INT modifier or is it still WIS?
    A 385 By RAW since it only says:
    At 6th level, you gain your chosen domain’s 1st-level benefits. However, you do not gain any weapon or armor proficiencies from the domain.
    You would still have to use your WIS.

That said, talk with your DM; it is a reasonable house rule to allow INT imho.
    Quote Originally Posted by kamap View Post
    Also don't try to bring logic into the argument it has left the building ages ago since magic made its appearance.

4. - Top - End - #1114
    Banned

Goblin

Thank you.

Q 385

Tempest Cleric's Divine Strike feature says "Once on each of your turns when you hit a creature with a weapon attack". Can it be used on Unarmed Strike?

Q 386

Hexblade Hex Warrior feature says "Whenever you finish a long rest, you can touch one weapon that you are proficient with and that lacks the two-handed property. When you attack with that weapon, you can use your Charisma modifier, instead of Strength or Dexterity, for the attack and damage rolls.". Can it be applied to Unarmed Strike?

5. - Top - End - #1115
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Man on Fire View Post
    Q 385 Tempest Cleric's Divine Strike feature says "Once on each of your turns when you hit a creature with a weapon attack". Can it be used on Unarmed Strike?
    A385 Yes.

A weapon attack is not necessarily an attack with a weapon. Yeah, it is confusing, and they probably should have referred to weapon attacks as "physical attacks" instead, or somesuch. Anyhow, an unarmed strike is a weapon attack, so the Tempest cleric's Divine Strike can be used with one.

Q 386 Hexblade Hex Warrior feature says "Whenever you finish a long rest, you can touch one weapon that you are proficient with and that lacks the two-handed property. When you attack with that weapon, you can use your Charisma modifier, instead of Strength or Dexterity, for the attack and damage rolls.". Can it be applied to Unarmed Strike?
    A386 No.

None of the things you can make an unarmed strike with, such as your fist, your foot, or your head, are considered weapons. If something requires you to touch a weapon and attack with that weapon, there is no way to make it work with an unarmed strike.

6. - Top - End - #1116

MindFlayer

Q387 Phoenix Sorcerer's Mantle of Flame says 'Whenever you roll fire damage on your turn, the roll gains a bonus equal to your Charisma modifier.' Say I've got a modifier of +4. I understand how this would apply to Firebolt - damage is (1d10)+4. For Fireball, it would be (8d6)+4 to everyone hit (halved if they save), because you only roll the damage once. But how would it work with Scorching Ray, where you create three rays and roll the damage for each one? It feels like it should be (2d6)+4 three times, one for each ray. But I could see the argument that its 2d6 three times, and then one of them gets +4. Is 'the roll' for the damage of the spell, or for each instance of damage the spell does?
    Apparently, I'm a Neutral Good Human Wizard (4th Level): Strength 13; Dexterity 14; Constitution 12; Intelligence 17; Wisdom 16; Charisma 13. I'm down with that.

My Paper Master build: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72568

7. - Top - End - #1117

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyRocks View Post
    Q387 Phoenix Sorcerer's Mantle of Flame says 'Whenever you roll fire damage on your turn, the roll gains a bonus equal to your Charisma modifier.' Say I've got a modifier of +4. I understand how this would apply to Firebolt - damage is (1d10)+4. For Fireball, it would be (8d6)+4 to everyone hit (halved if they save), because you only roll the damage once. But how would it work with Scorching Ray, where you create three rays and roll the damage for each one? It feels like it should be (2d6)+4 three times, one for each ray. But I could see the argument that its 2d6 three times, and then one of them gets +4. Is 'the roll' for the damage of the spell, or for each instance of damage the spell does?
    A387 There are no restrictions on the number of rolls that class feature affects so it affects all rolls that qualify while Mantle of Flame is active for 1 minute.

8. - Top - End - #1118
    Pixie in the Playground

Q 388

When using Dimension Door spell via Contingency, does the caster get to decide the location they end up at the time the spell triggers? Or do they need to detail the distance and direction of the Dimension Door when initially casting it to set up the Contingency?

Ideally, I'm hoping for a RAW answer to this question. That said, after looking around myself I'm beginning to suspect there is no RAW answer, in which case I'd appreciate it if someone could confirm that for me.

Thanks.

9. - Top - End - #1119

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by honeybunch View Post
    Q 388

When using Dimension Door spell via Contingency, does the caster get to decide the location they end up at the time the spell triggers? Or do they need to detail the distance and direction of the Dimension Door when initially casting it to set up the Contingency?

Ideally, I'm hoping for a RAW answer to this question. That said, after looking around myself I'm beginning to suspect there is no RAW answer, in which case I'd appreciate it if someone could confirm that for me.

Thanks.
    A 388: Underlining is my emphasis:

Contingency
    "You cast that spell--called the contingent spell--as part of casting contingency, expending spell slots for both, but the contingent spell doesn't come into effect."

Dimension Door
    "You teleport yourself from your current location to any other spot within range. You arrive at exactly the spot desired. It can be a place you can see, one you can visualize, or one you can describe by stating distance and direction, such as '200 feet straight downward' or 'upward to the northwest at a 45- degree angle, 300 feet.'"

Since the effect of the D-Door spell is to teleport you, and the teleport itself isn't a fixed location, it seems reasonable to me that "doesn't come into effect" means that the location of the teleport is selected once the contingency is triggered.

10. - Top - End - #1120
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q389 A robe of eyes can see invisible creatures and objects. Can a robe of eyes see a Wall of force? It says the wall of force is invisible.

11. - Top - End - #1121

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dmdork View Post
    Q389 A robe of eyes can see invisible creatures and objects. Can a robe of eyes see a Wall of force? It says the wall of force is invisible.
    A389: Yes, you can see a Wall of Force with the Robe of Eyes.

12. - Top - End - #1122
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

Q. 390

On Turn 1, a Character casts Haste upon themselves, a spell with a duration of 1 minute.

Does the duration expire on Turn 10 or 11?

Does the character get 9 entire turns under the effects of spell or 10?

13. - Top - End - #1123

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dualswinger View Post
    Q. 390

On Turn 1, a Character casts Haste upon themselves, a spell with a duration of 1 minute.

Does the duration expire on Turn 10 or 11?

Does the character get 9 entire turns under the effects of spell or 10?
    A390: On turn 10 for that character. The turn a spell is cast is the first turn counted for the duration, unless the spell or other game mechanic states otherwise.

This is the common way things are counted since counting never starts with “0” (zero).

14. - Top - End - #1124
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q391 I'm a fighter/wizard. can I cast a spell, then action surge and cast another spell?

15. - Top - End - #1125
    Titan in the Playground

A 391:
    Unlike other abilities such as Haste, the fighter's Action Surge presents no limitations at all on how you can use the extra action it gives you. Nor is there any other rule that prohibits casting multiple spells in a turn with a 1-action casting time (there's a rule about bonus action spells, but this isn't a bonus action). So yes, you can cast two spells in your turn using Action Surge.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

16. - Top - End - #1126

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    A 391:
    Unlike other abilities such as Haste, the fighter's Action Surge presents no limitations at all on how you can use the extra action it gives you. Nor is there any other rule that prohibits casting multiple spells in a turn with a 1-action casting time (there's a rule about bonus action spells, but this isn't a bonus action). So yes, you can cast two spells in your turn using Action Surge.
    Agree, one weird note however. Since the PHB (p 202) says:
    BONUS ACTION
    A spell cast with a bonus action is especially swift. You must use a bonus action on your turn to cast the spell, provided that you haven't already taken a bonus action this turn. You can't cast another spell during the same turn, except for a cantrip with a casting time of l action.
    This means that if you cast a bonus action spell, you can't cast a full-action spell at all even with action surge, unless it's a cantrip, or two cantrips, again, if using action surge.

17. - Top - End - #1127
    Ogre in the Playground

Q392

I've been away. What's this "triple Advantage" I see people talking about?

18. - Top - End - #1128

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Adventurer View Post
    Q392

I've been away. What's this "triple Advantage" I see people talking about?
    A392: It's not RAW per se. It's likely that people are referring to the Elven Accuracy feat which allows you to roll an additional d20 when you have advantage on the attack roll.

Also see: https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comment...ple_advantage/

19. - Top - End - #1129
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by E’Tallitnics View Post
    A392: It's not RAW per se. It's likely that people are referring to the Elven Accuracy feat which allows you to roll an additional d20 when you have advantage on the attack roll.

Also see: https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comment...ple_advantage/
    It may also be referring to the interaction between disadvantage and using the lucky feat. I.e., you roll twice for disadvantage then use a luck point and then can "roll an additional d20....You choose which of the d20s is used..." Turns disadvantage into "triple advantage."

20. - Top - End - #1130

BarbarianGuy

cool Re: Simple RAW for 5e 4: Smackdown v. RAW

Quote Originally Posted by AHF View Post
    It may also be referring to the interaction between disadvantage and using the lucky feat. I.e., you roll twice for disadvantage then use a luck point and then can "roll an additional d20....You choose which of the d20s is used..." Turns disadvantage into "triple advantage."
    R392: While not a RAW or game term/mechanic, that's widely known as "Super Advantage" (aka: The Lucky Feat).

21. - Top - End - #1131
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Q393: Does a Totem Barbarian with the Bear 3rd level feature gain resistance to all damage except psychic in heavy armor?
    I know that rage specifies while not in heavy armor, but I dont see a limitation for the totem effects.

22. - Top - End - #1132

GnomeWizardGuy

R393

Correct, you lost the bulleted benefits of raging in heavy armor, but can still rage, which is the only requirement to gain that primal path benefit.

Edit to add that the wording of the subclass feature is all but psychic, so you do gain the b/p/s resistance you didn’t gain while in heavy armor.
    Last edited by Emongnome777; 2019-10-10 at 09:01 AM.

23. - Top - End - #1133
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 394:

There are spells that deal piercing, slashing or bludgeoning damages. Spells like Hail of Thorns, Catapult, Conjure Barrage, Conjure Volley.

Do this spell automatically deal magical piercing, slashing or bludgeoning damages? Or do they make non-magical damages unless noted otherwise?
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protčgent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

24. - Top - End - #1134

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    Q 394:

There are spells that deal piercing, slashing or bludgeoning damages. Spells like Hail of Thorns, Catapult, Conjure Barrage, Conjure Volley.

Do this spell automatically deal magical piercing, slashing or bludgeoning damages? Or do they make non-magical damages unless noted otherwise?
    A394: All damage from spells is magical damage unless the spell says otherwise.

25. - Top - End - #1135
    Halfling in the Playground

ElfPirate

Q 395:

For the Abjurer's Arcane Ward, when created, does it start out at max hp? Apologies if this is too obvious, but my printing of the book is worded a little ambiguously.

26. - Top - End - #1136

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psykenthrope View Post
    Q 395:

For the Abjurer's Arcane Ward, when created, does it start out at max hp? Apologies if this is too obvious, but my printing of the book is worded a little ambiguously.
    A395: No. For your consideration:

1st printing:
    "The ward has hit points equal to twice your wizard level + your Intelligence modifier."

Errata:
    "The ward has a hit point maximum equal to twice your wizard level + your Intelligence modifier."

It would seem that the intent was that it starts with hit points, but with the errata that was specifically removed. So the starting HP of the ward would be twice the spell level used to create it initially.

27. - Top - End - #1137
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Q 396: If the spell cast by contingency requires concentration, do you need to concentrate on it? Or does it take effect and last for the duration?
    It says the spell simply takes effect, which is ambiguous wording to me.

28. - Top - End - #1138

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sharqking View Post
    Q 396: If the spell cast by contingency requires concentration, do you need to concentrate on it? Or does it take effect and last for the duration?
    It says the spell simply takes effect, which is ambiguous wording to me.
    A396: It may help to know that spells are always exceptions in the rules, and they tell you exactly what they do. If they change a game mechanic it'll be detailed in the spell's description.

So given that fact, there's nothing ambiguous about Contingency. Nothing in the description says that it removes the concentration requirement for any spell that it processes when triggered.
    Last edited by E’Tallitnics; 2019-10-11 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Formatting & Spelling.

29. - Top - End - #1139

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by honeybunch View Post
    Q 388
    Quote Originally Posted by E’Tallitnics View Post
    A395:Errata:
    "The ward has a hit point maximum equal to twice your wizard level + your Intelligence modifier."
    Contesting 388 I can't seem to find the errata you are mentioning. There is no mention of it in the Errata document.
    Edit: Furthermore, even if the errata is a thing and it is simply missing from the document (not the first thing to be missing there), the thing you create has no reason to start at less hit points than its maximum. The part about regaining hps is for when it already exists and it isn't stated to be created at anything less than maximum hps just like everything that is summoned or created otherwise.
    Last edited by ThePolarBear; 2019-10-11 at 03:30 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1140
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThePolarBear View Post
    Contesting 388 I can't seem to find the errata you are mentioning. There is no mention of it in the Errata document.
    Despite the errata making no mention of it, I can confirm this change between the original printing and a later copy.

Furthermore, even if the errata is a thing and it is simply missing from the document (not the first thing to be missing there), the thing you create has no reason to start at less hit points than its maximum. The part about regaining hps is for when it already exists and it isn't stated to be created at anything less than maximum hps just like everything that is summoned or created otherwise.
    I agree.