New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 43 of 51 FirstFirst ... 1833343536373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1521
  1. - Top - End - #1261
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e 4: Smackdown v. RAW

A434

Quote Originally Posted by da newt View Post
    Natural Weapons (Tabaxi claws for example): Are PCs proficient w/ their natural weapons?
    Tabaxi can use theirs claws to make unarmed strikes. PC are proficient with their unarmed strikes. So yes.

Ditto with a centaur's hooves, a lizardfolk's bite, or a minotaur's horns.

Are claws melee, simple, light, and or finesse weapons?
    Melee, and none of the others.

If you make a bonus attack with your off hand natural weapon, do you add your ST modifier and proficiency modifier?
    It is dumb, but 5e does not allow a character to two-weapon fight with their fists. I assume the same applies to claws.

2. - Top - End - #1262
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q435 can a multiclass wizard learn a spell of a slot he has because of multiclass? For example a wizard 4/artificier 2 has slot of level 3. But he doesn’t have any level 3 spells by default. If he finds a spellbook with a level 3 spell, can he copy it in his spellbook learn it and cast it?
    Last edited by Myth27; 2019-11-24 at 11:25 AM.

3. - Top - End - #1263
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Myth27 View Post
    Q435 can a multiclass wizard learn a spell of a slot he has because of multiclass? For example a wizard 4/artificier 2 has slot of level 3. But he doesn’t have any level 3 spells by default. If he finds a spellbook with a level 3 spell, can he copy it in his spellbook learn it and cast it?
    A435: No.

The level of spell you can cast is based on the single level of the various classes you possess; so from your example, you can only cast up to 2nd level spells from the wizard list and 1st level spells from the artificier list. You are unable to learn 3rd level wizard spells until you reach 5th lvl wizard.

The third level spell slots available to you can only be used to up-cast lower level spells. Like shooting off a 3rd lvl Magic Missile.
    Quote Originally Posted by kamap View Post
    Also don't try to bring logic into the argument it has left the building ages ago since magic made its appearance.

4. - Top - End - #1264
    Ogre in the Playground

Q436

Do I understand Warlock spells known correctly that I can replace my lower level spells known with spells of my highest level? So eventually I won't know any 1st level spells at all (apart from Hex obviously)?

5. - Top - End - #1265

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Adventurer View Post
    Q436

Do I understand Warlock spells known correctly that I can replace my lower level spells known with spells of my highest level? So eventually I won't know any 1st level spells at all (apart from Hex obviously)?
    A436: Yes*

Ever level you can you can sub one spell known for a new one, so when you reach third you can get 2 second level spells (one from the level and one from subbing out a one of your existing first level spells). Just remember that this only applies to 5th lvl spells and below.

Warlocks only get access to 6th and above though Mystic Arcanum, and that does not use the same 'sub-out' mechanic.
    Last edited by Erys; 2019-11-25 at 01:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kamap View Post
    Also don't try to bring logic into the argument it has left the building ages ago since magic made its appearance.

6. - Top - End - #1266
    Titan in the Playground

Re 435:

There's enough ambiguity in the wording of the rules that you might be able to argue that the wizard can copy the spell, but they certainly still can't prepare it. And even if you allow copying, it still changes very little, because that wizard 4/artificer 2 could just carry the looted spellbook around until he picks up another level, and transcribe the 3rd-level spell then. If anything, it's better to find spells before you have the ability to cast them, because that way, you know that you don't need to use any of your freebie spells known from leveling up on those.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

7. - Top - End - #1267
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Re 435:

There's enough ambiguity in the wording of the rules that you might be able to argue that the wizard can copy the spell
    What ambiguity? You can only copy spells that you can prepare. If you agree that you can't prepare them, you also can't copy them.

8. - Top - End - #1268
    Ogre in the Playground

Q437

If I have more than one AC calculation available to me, when do I choose which one to use? Can I change it?

E.g. if I am a Tortle Monk, can I switch from using my Shell AC if I manage to get my Dex+Wis high enough that it would give me AC 18 or more?

What if I gain a new option for an AC calculation (e.g. by multiclassing)?

9. - Top - End - #1269

GnomeWizardGuy

R437

You pick:

“Some spells and class features give you a different way to calculate your AC. If you have multiple features that give you different ways to calculate your AC, you choose which one to use.” Sorry, cut and paste from DDB, don’t have a page #.

To add, there is no language that restricts when or how often you decide which AC to use.
    Last edited by Emongnome777; 2019-11-27 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Added more to clarify

10. - Top - End - #1270
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

R437

Quote Originally Posted by Emongnome777 View Post
    To add, there is no language that restricts when or how often you decide which AC to use.
    While this is technically true, there's one caveat particularly applicable to multiclassing.

Quote Originally Posted by PHB
    Unarmored Defense
    If you already have the Unarmored Defense feature, you can't gain it again from another class.
    For example, if you start Barbarian and later multiclass to Monk, you can't choose to use the new one. I suspect the language was only intended to foreclose stacking different Unarmored Defenses, but this is a RAW thread.
    Last edited by FrancisBean; 2019-11-27 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Corrected copy-paste typo

11. - Top - End - #1271
    Ogre in the Playground

Q438

Acid says you can splash it on a creature within 5 feet, or throw it, but in either case you make a ranged attack. If I'm splashing acid on a creature within 5 feet, surely I'd count as being in melee with it, and therefore my acid attack roll would have Disadvantage? (Seems like this applies to other similar splash weapons too.)

12. - Top - End - #1272
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q439 does the spell “command” work on a raging barbarian (immune to charm) ?

13. - Top - End - #1273

WolfInSheepsClothing

Q438

Acid says you can splash it on a creature within 5 feet, or throw it, but in either case you make a ranged attack. If I'm splashing acid on a creature within 5 feet, surely I'd count as being in melee with it, and therefore my acid attack roll would have Disadvantage? (Seems like this applies to other similar splash weapons too.)
    A438 Generally speaking, yes.

Rulewise you have disadvantage on all ranged attack rolls as long as you are within 5ft of one hostile creature that can see you and is not incapacitated (even if no melee attack has happened at all).

Quote Originally Posted by Myth27 View Post
    Q439 does the spell “command” work on a raging barbarian (immune to charm) ?
    A439 The spell works. It doesn't cause the charmed condition or depend onto it to work (like, for example, Charm or Hypnotic Pattern do).

Furthermore "normal" Rage doesn't make a Barbarian immune to being charmed. Some features of some Barbarian subclasses do (like Mindless Rage), but it is not a normal "Rage" feature. I can't say for sure what "kind" of Barbarian you had in mind, so i can't say if the feature would protect or not from Command specifically (I don't remember one however that could apply, but i don't know every feature in the game by memory :D)
    Last edited by ThePolarBear; 2019-11-29 at 07:22 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1274
    Pixie in the Playground

Q440

Does a dead character or creature have a hit point value of 0, or does it not have a value at all?

15. - Top - End - #1275
    Ogre in the Playground

I've been asking quite a few questions here and you've all been really helpful, so I just wanted to say thank you.

Also:

Q441

Am I right to think that there are no general rules for bashing with a shield as a weapon? There is the Shield Master feat, of course, but would attacking with a shield otherwise just follow the rules for improvised weapons?

16. - Top - End - #1276
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Q442: what are the RAW for wielding bigger than normal weapons? Can my 6th level bugbear barbearian use a fire giant's sword with proficiency for example ... He's got a 1000+ lb carry capacity; I'd think that would mean wielding a huge sword is logical.

17. - Top - End - #1277
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaggalon View Post
    Q440 Does a dead character or creature have a hit point value of 0, or does it not have a value at all?
    A440 Probably the latter, but I am not sure.

Q441 Am I right to think that there are no general rules for bashing with a shield as a weapon? There is the Shield Master feat, of course, but would attacking with a shield otherwise just follow the rules for improvised weapons?
    A441 I believe it is indeed treated as an improvised weapon.

Q442: what are the RAW for wielding bigger than normal weapons?
    A442 These rules are buried in the DMG's customization workshop.

Quote Originally Posted by DMG p278
    Big monsters typically wield oversized weapons that deal extra dice of damage on a hit. Double the weapon dice if the creature is Large, triple the weapon dice if it's Huge, and quadruple the weapon dice if it's Gargantuan. For example, a Huge giant wielding an appropriately sized greataxe deals 3d12 slashing damage (plus its Strength bonus), instead of the normal 1d12.

A creature has disadvantage on attack rolls with a weapon that is sized for a larger attacker. You can rule that a weapon sized for an attacker two or more sizes larger is too big for the creature to use at all.

18. - Top - End - #1278

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Zaggalon View Post
    Q440

Does a dead character or creature have a hit point value of 0, or does it not have a value at all?
    A440 It's... difficult. RAW there's no indication of what a "dead creature" even is, mechanically speaking: a creature that has a particular state of being dead and as such it does count as a creature, or an object. We do have an unofficial clarification on that but this being a RAW thread makes it a "there's not really much about it in "RAW"".

If you consider them creatures, there's no reason to assume the hps are any different rulewise, IIRC. (i might be wrong, going by memory).
    If you consider them items, there are guidelines about item AC and HPs in the DMG.

Q441

Am I right to think that there are no general rules for bashing with a shield as a weapon? There is the Shield Master feat, of course, but would attacking with a shield otherwise just follow the rules for improvised weapons?
    A441 A shield is not a weapon, generally speaking. Since it is not a weapon it follow the rules on Improvised weapons (unless other specific rule).

Q442: what are the RAW for wielding bigger than normal weapons? Can my 6th level bugbear barbearian use a fire giant's sword with proficiency for example ... He's got a 1000+ lb carry capacity; I'd think that would mean wielding a huge sword is logical.
    A442 MM 278. Essentially disadvantage in using a weapon for creatures larger than your size and if 2 or more sizes larger it's completely up to the DM if it is even possible to use them at all.

Well, Shadowmonk'd. :D
    Last edited by ThePolarBear; 2019-12-01 at 03:22 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1279
    Titan in the Playground

Q443
    Can one attack an adjacent target with a Reach weapon (especially one OTHER than a whip, and WITHOUT P.A.M.)?
    If it matters, I mean a medium or small character.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

20. - Top - End - #1280

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    Q443
    Can one attack an adjacent target with a Reach weapon (especially one OTHER than a whip, and WITHOUT P.A.M.)?
    If it matters, I mean a medium or small character.
    A443 For "general" attacks: yes because:
    • You choose a target that is within your reach/range (PHB 194, first sentence and again PHB 195, Melee Attacks).
    • Weapons with the Reach propriety add +5ft reach to whatever reach a creature already has for attacks made with that weapon.
    • Medium and small characters, generally speaking, all have a baseline reach of 5ft.
    • Anything "adjacent" is within a 5ft reach, thus being also within any >5ft reach.
    Last edited by ThePolarBear; 2019-12-02 at 04:54 AM.

21. - Top - End - #1281
    Ogre in the Playground

Q444

If I shove a creature away from me, does it provoke an OA for leaving my threatened area? Does it provoke from other creatures whose threatened areas it might leave as a result of the shove?

22. - Top - End - #1282

WolfInSheepsClothing

Q444

If I shove a creature away from me, does it provoke an OA for leaving my threatened area? Does it provoke from other creatures whose threatened areas it might leave as a result of the shove?
    A444 No. Opportunity attacks are not provoked when someone (or something) moves you without using your movement, your action, or your reaction. (phb page 195)

23. - Top - End - #1283
    Banned

Goblin

Q445

Can a Half-Elf take Revenant Blade feat?

24. - Top - End - #1284
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Man on Fire View Post
    Q445 Can a Half-Elf take Revenant Blade feat?
    A445 No. The feat is for elves. Half-elves count neither as humans or elves.

25. - Top - End - #1285

Q446: what is the RAW for AC boosting reactions, such as Shield or parry?
    In my group we play that if a player has the spell Shield, or the Defensive Duelist feat, the DM takes note of their AC, and doesn't call out their attack roll, only if it hits or not. That way, if the wizard could boost their AC to 22, but the giant rolls a 24, the wizard player doesn't say "oh no point in wasting a spell slot". Narratively it feels good, with the image of a mighty club stopping for a second against the orange barrier hastily thrown up, then breaking through to the wizard underneath.

We play with counterspell in a similar way, with "I cast a spell " first, so the player or the monster has to work to know what spell is being cast

26. - Top - End - #1286

GnomeWizardGuy

A446
    The rules are pretty clear about how these features and when to use them are decided after the roll but before the outcome.

Your DM does not have roll in the open but you can always ask for a narrative extrapolation of the roll to help you make better decisions. "Their swing is unencumbered and aimed right for you; there seems little chance you will avoid it."

The same can be said of counterspell, the DM does not have to tell you what the spell is but based on your own class and prepared spells might say something like "it carries a lot of the tones and gestures of an evocation spell"

27. - Top - End - #1287
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGuy

Q447

Alice has Bob grappled, she can move Bob with her at half her movement speed, correct?
    So what happens if Charlie comes along and grapples Alice? Can Charlie move Alice away with them, breaking her grapple on Bob? Are any other checks required? Or would there just be some weird grapple-conga chain?

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to answer!
    Last edited by Mr. Crowbar; 2019-12-03 at 11:42 AM.

28. - Top - End - #1288

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Crowbar View Post
    Q447

Alice has Bob grappled, she can move Bob with her at half her movement speed, correct?
    So what happens if Charlie comes along and grapples Alice? Can Charlie move Alice away with them, breaking her grapple on Bob? Are any other checks required? Or would there just be some weird grapple-conga chain?

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to answer!
    A447: Alice can move Bob at half her speed while she has Bob grappled. When Charlie grapples Alice, and moves her at half of his speed, the grapple with Bob is broken if, "...an effect removes the grappled creature from the reach of the grappler...".

So Charlie would need to move Alice enough to have Bob move out of her reach. Assuming normal 5' reach that would be 10' of movement from Charlie costing him 20' of speed.

29. - Top - End - #1289
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Q448

Can I craft during a long rest? More specifically, can I make crafting progress for magic items during a long rest?

EDIT: Okay, less specifically. Am I summarizing the rules presented in Xanathar's Guide correctly?

If I'm making a mundane item, I need proficiency in the appropriate tool, and half the item's selling value in materials. It takes a number of "workweeks," which are 5 8 hour shifts that don't have to be consecutive, equal to the item's cost divided by 50. If it costs less than 50 gold, you can craft multiple items per week. Multiple people can help with crafting, dividing the time needed by the number of workers, with DM judgment.

If I'm crafting a magical item that is not a spell scroll or potion of healing, I need a formula, a special item that requires a level appropriate challenge according to the Magic Item Ingredients table, and proficiency in the appropriate tools or the Arcana skill (?), and it takes a number of workweeks and gold according to the Magic Item Crafting Time and Cost table. If the item is a consumable, such as a scroll or a potion (but not a potion of healing or a spell scroll!), half the workweek and gold cost.

If I'm crafting a potion of healing, I just need proficiency with the herbalism kit, and the time and gold specified in the Potion of Healing Creation table.

If I'm scribing a spell scroll, I need proficiency in Arcana, the appropriate spell prepared/known, and any material components required, and it takes the time and gold specified in the Scribing a Spell Scroll table.

With all of these, there are the associated complications tables and rivals and stuff, but I don't care about those at this point
    Last edited by Nicrosil; 2019-12-04 at 06:44 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1290
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Q449

RAW (PHB pg 144) Armor Prof: If you wear armor that you are not proficient with you have DisADV on ability checks, saving throws, and attack rolls that involve ST or DEX and you can't cast spells.

If I give a shield to my IMP familiar (no PROF) his AC will increase by +2 and when he's INV he gets ADV for DEX saves / stealth, so the DisADV would cancel those to a straight roll, but he'd still force attack rolls against him to be at DisADV, right?

Is there a way to get a Familiar PROF?