New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Warlock-Dragonfire Adept: dual invocation progression?

Really random, but would Eldritch Theurge allow progression for both classes (one via the normal caster progression side)? I know that DfI doesn't qualify so you'd have to find another way in, but dual incantations has some possibilities and the only DfI class features I'd want that it wouldn't progress are Slow Breath and Entangling Breath (feat).

I know you wouldn't be able to use all of Eldritch Theurge's class features, but might still be cool? Is there another way for dual invocation progression?

Currently thinking:
    Sorcerer 1 (Precocious Apprentice for the level 2 Arcane spell to qualify)
    Warlock 3 (for the 2d6 Eldritch Blast to qualify)
    Dragonfire Adept 6 (Metabreath: Slow, allows for Dark Invocations at 20th level)
    Eldritch Theurge 10 (advancing Warlock and DfI)

Thoughts are very welcomed 😀 Also open to being told it's a waste of time! Aiming for tier 3.

Edit: apologies, just re-read Eldritch Theurge in more detail, and it specifies "Spellcasting: At each level, you gain new spells per day and an increase in caster level (and spells known, if applicable) as if you had also gained a level in an arcane spellcasting class (but not an invocation-using class) to which you belonged before adding the prestige class level." Back to the drawing board! Any other PrC folk could suggest?

Edit 2: How about Noctumancer?

Sorcerer 1 (Precocious Apprentice)
    Shadowcaster 3 (2nd level Mysteries)
    Warlock 1
    Dragonfire Adept 5
    Noctumancer 10

That's pretty janky but at least the class features are usable...
    Last edited by eversilentone; 2018-06-23 at 09:12 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Warlock-Dragonfire Adept: dual invocation progression?

I've recently been working on a homebrew for this purpose (plus there's always Troacctid's Gestalt Theurge). Not sure how one might make it happen elegantly within first party.
    Last edited by Malimar; 2018-06-23 at 09:25 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Warlock-Dragonfire Adept with Eldritch Theurge

I'm glad you caught the "but not an invocation-using class" exception right away. Unfortunately, I don't think there is an existing PrC that will do what you want. However, there is always DMG page 176: "The best prestige classes for your campaign are the ones you tailor make yourself." If you think your DM might be inclined to work with you on a custom dual-invocation PrC then you could start with a template based on something existing for other casters and work from there.

You'll first need to decide what prerequisites you want to use. I''ll just throw out this as an idea: Knowledge (arcana) 8 ranks , Knowledge (the planes) 8 ranks, Ability to use least invocations from two different base classes, and Eldritch blast 2d6. This encourages a Warlock 3/Dragonfire Adept 2 entry. (I thought about whether a 2/3 entry would be preferable, but if you look down at the class features below you'll see why it was cleaner to do it this way.)

Next you should choose the chassis for the PrC. Warlock has d6 hp, 2 SkPt/level, Good Will saves, and 3/4 BAB. DfA has d8 hp, 4 SkPt/level, Good Fort and Will saves, and 1/2 BAB. Using Mystic Theurge as a baseline, it just advanced the weaker Wizard HD/SkPt/Saves/BAB and did not gain the benefit of the Cleric's higher HD, saves, or BAB. The real difference here is that while Warlock is lower in terms of HD, SkPt, and Saves, it has the higher BAB.

Class skills for the Mystic Theurge are basically the Wizard skills minus the Knowledge skills other than arcana and religion, and with the addition of Sense Motive. From the Cleric point of view they lost Diplomacy, Heal, and a couple of Knowledge skills, but gained Decipher Script and Sense Motive. When you look at the list for Warlock and DfA there is a lot of overlap. They both have Bluff, Concentration, Craft, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (arcana, religion, the planes), Sense Motive, Spellcraft, and Use Magic Device. Warlock has Disguise and Profession that DfA doesn't. DfA has Appraise, Climb, Decipher Script, Diplomacy, the rest of the Knowledge skills, Listen, Search, Speak Language, and Spot that Warlock doesn't. You should probably go with the overlapping skills plus maybe a couple of others from either list.

The caster/invocation progression on either side is going to improve caster level of invocations, eldritch blast damage/breath weapon damage, and invocations known. So you are going to need to determine what class features (if any) beyond that the PrC is going to include. Mystic Theurge didn't include any additional class features, but then the only thing it was really sacrificing was the Wizard's bonus feats. The two classes here both get damage reduction, but DfA doesn't come on until 6th and is DR/magic while Warlock has already picked up DR 1/cold iron by this point. I would just keep advancing DR/cold iron every 4 levels same as Warlock. It makes it easier to figure out the math than messing with both types. I'm not sure it makes sense to include any of the other class features of either. If need be, maybe come up with something else that is more thematic.
    “No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.” ― Steven Brust
    "In God we trust. All others we investigate." - United States Army Military Police Corps
    My thanks to Komodo for the excellent Avatar.
    Check out BSR's Improved Sorcerer project.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

There is no existing prestige class for this.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ah, I suspected as much but thought the folks here would know if anyone did. Time to beg for the homebrew then! Thanks for the replies and suggestions!