New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Enter to the paladin arena

ok i've asked a similar question about fighter subclasses and im going to ask it again for paladins. With the XGTE i fell in love with paladins oath of conquest. it has all kinds of gear that i want i even created an extensive background for a character i will play.
    Link here if you want to help me on that

So the question is in a 1v1 sitution for all paladin subclasses (no multiclassing) who would win fallen and oathbreaker subclasses included? all armors, weapons, shield, race are free. (except human V, and magical weapons, weapons with + etc..)1 fight at 5-9 level 1 fight at 18 level 1 in 20 level

PS: I believe it would be vengeance or conquest.. vengeance because vow of emnity, conquest because fear based spells for disadv and prone trap
    (level 7 feature of conquest drops enemy movement to 0 if they are feared by you)
    (proned enemies have to spend half of their movement to get up if they have 0 they can't)
    Last edited by lordorinko; 2018-06-24 at 08:13 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: Enter to the paladin arena

What level are you looking at? As the oath of conquest will lose most of the benefits from fear once you go past lvl 10. As the other paladin will have Aura of Courage which makes them immune to the frightened condition.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Darkstar952 View Post
    What level are you looking at? As the oath of conquest will lose most of the benefits from fear once you go past lvl 10. As the other paladin will have Aura of Courage which makes them immune to the frightened condition.
    1 fight at level 5-10 (10 not included) 1 in 18th lvl, 1 in 20th lvl

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Frame challenge. Why is this important or meaningful? D&D is not balanced around PvP, let alone 1v1 arena PvP. There is absolutely nothing to be learned here, as none of this applies to a real game.

To make it worse, 5e doesn't use PC classes as the dominant advancement path for NPCs. So you can't even learn anything about monster design.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Conquest is probably the weakest as paladins are immune to fear levels 10 and up. Proficiency in wisdom saves and cha bonus to it at level 6 and up is pretty much all you need to fairly reliably ignore fear.

Vengeance seems to have an obvious advantage as Haste is quite potent (provided you take a feat or two to maintain concentration). But that’s only if you give a round to buff. If given a round to buff, devotion paladin with GWM is strong, but at high levels hitting is pretty easy against just an 18-21 AC.

Sadly the reality is in 1v1 PVP this edition the “better build” doesn’t often have much of an advantage. Me and a buddy were fooling around with this recently and it’s extremely swingy. It often came down to who won initiative or if one player missed a couple times. The hp are too low to make the fight last long. Fights end fast meaning it’s very very swingy. The fight ends within 3 rounds almost every time so one poor roll or lucky roll will decide the whole thing.

All that considered, I’d probably give it to redemption paladin as he can get reaction damage that might turn the table. The "best" probably only has like 5-10% better chance of actually winning.
    Last edited by PeteNutButter; 2018-06-24 at 11:19 AM.
    Want to Multiclass? I wrote the book on it:http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...classing-Guide
    Expect advice on the optimization rules you are breaking: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...r-Optimization
    I am an avid optimizer and love to give fire to the people... So long as they are restrained first so they have disadvantage on their dex saves.
    Feel free to PM me for one on one build advice.