New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Help with rules for fighting in a magic chariot

So in one of my games, players have recently acquired Ra's chariot (after defeating and slaying Ra himself) which for now they can't use to fly around. It is however massive, big enough for all of them to ride in and carry all of their stuff (including Ra's treasure hoard), and pulled by two VERY fast mystical horses (80ft movement) who never tire. So they cross the country in this thing, and I've been working on some rules for how it can be controlled in combat.

It has previously been established that this chariot is magically bound to do their will as if a dedicated driver were handling it for them.

The problem is, in combat, that's a lot of movement, and I feel like the cart shouldn't be able to make a 180 degree turn and still go full speed straight back.

I'm wondering if there are rules for this somewhere, or if you guys can help me come up with reasonable ideas.

For example, I'm thinking it costs the things half their speed to turn 90 degrees, so a 180 turn would consume their movement. I'm also thinking the player's can have them dash, but it costs one of them their action to do so.

What do you think?
    The Stormwind Fallacy, Just because one optimizes his characters mechanically does not mean that they cannot also roleplay, and vice versa.

Corollary: Doing one in a game does not preclude, nor infringe upon, the ability to do the other in the same game.

Generalization 1: One is not automatically a worse roleplayer if he optimizes, and vice versa.
    Generalization 2: A non-optimized character is not automatically roleplayed better than an optimized one, and vice versa.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Help with rules for fighting in a magic chariot

That sounds like a 3.x Fly speed with non-perfect Maneuverability, where you needed to move a certain distance before you could turn more than a certain number of degrees.

Here's a table with 3.5e's Maneuverability rules, perhaps you can adapt them to your game:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/movement.h...hreeDimensions

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Your PCs killed a god and got away with stealing his stuff. Why do you care about being reasonable?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kane0 View Post
    Thanks for the plug, Kane0! Though I have no idea how I would handle a flying chariot mechanically. I'm struggling to even envisage how I'd want a flying chariot to play...
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig