New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: WHFRP 2e - The Winter Kings (IC)

With Astrid
    "My thanks, Jarl's daughter, that gives us something to work with. Rest assured, we will not fail you." With a slight bow, Lárus took his leave.

With Ashweaver
    Picking himself up off the floor, Lárus gingerly touches his nose, feeling blood running down the back of his throat. He draws a deep breath and hocks a gob of phlegm and blood on the floor. Giving Ashweaver a rueful grimace, he replies: "Yes, another day. I will be faster then. Faster, stronger, and tougher."

Staying to watch Egil's bout as well, he is pleasantly surprised at how well the old man handles himself, and even more surprised when Ashweaver agrees to join the Red Song. "I have no doubt that our expedition will prove a pleasant diversion for you, Mistress Ashweaver."

Feeling somewhat worse for wear, Lárus then makes his way home to his sister's hut.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ettin in the Playground

As he fights Egil finds that he's enjoying himself and joins in with Lissakah's laughter. 'Not as skilled as some but I've been around. It was entertaining to fight you lass. I will enjoy killing these Bretonnians with you.'

As the feast winds down, Egil will spend the remaining time drinking with the crew.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Bjorni relished the attention and praise, this was his element, he nodded humbly at the compliment from his Jarl as usual, certainly way more humlbly that he thought he should "Your words honour me Aemon, I'm glad you like how I spin mine"

The skald didn't push his luck with Astrid, she seemed more appreciative of him by now but he had time enough when they were taking her ancestral lands. On that note, he asked her about it, Larus inquiries hadn't been all answered... "Any goat paths we can use? a couple days trecking may very well be worth it to get the jump on them"
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Ah, yes, trolls, the monsters that are such wusses their primary means of reproduction is being eaten by other creatures.
    Quote Originally Posted by 5ColouredWalker View Post
    With all this talk of half dragon cohorts I may need to scrap riding a actual Dragon given how unoptimized it is.
    hey, order a gig here: https://www.fiverr.com/neriractor

I would really appreciate it.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

Reavers of the Red Song

11th Vorgenheim

Dawn brought with it pain for many of the reavers who had indulged in too much drink the night before. But regardless of any physical discomfort, they were up and moving even as the early light of the sun lanced over the jagged mountains that flanked the vale. The Red Song was being loaded – mostly weapons and enough supplies to last them the trip there and back – and many of the Norscans were singing devotional shanties as they prepared.

Otto stood on the aft-castle of the caravel, watching the preparations underway. The efforts were being led by Egil and Larus, and Bodhi had situated herself at a small navigation table near the great oak steering wheel that controlled the caravel’s rudders. The reaver-captain was going over some simple maps with Astrid, who looked bright and well-recovered from the wounds she bore.

Groktur’s ungors, still bearing the now-dried blood of their victory the day before, were enlisted to add their muscle to the loading of heavy barrels of ale and salted fish. The caprigor stood with Morgul on the stone quay, watching the ease in which the Red Song was loaded.

Nicoli was busy working with a handful of reavers who were trying to get used to wielding a varied assortment of looted halberds and long pikes, much to the amusement of Bjorni who arrived with Maria who had practically begged to see the skald and bray-shaman off. Trailing behind Bjorni was the gang of toughs that Morgul had hired. Garm held a wicked looking long-hafted mace across his shoulder and kept an eye on the waifish girl, though they held back far enough to not intrude.

It seemed that the ragged looking scoundrel and his pack of thugs were a good purchase.

It had possibly come as a surprise to both Morgul and Bjorni when they learned that at some point during the festivities the night before, Maria had snuck out of the Greensong farmstead and went for a late night stroll through the vale. Rubrik had been dumfounded – he had no idea she had snuck out until much later.

But she did not go alone. Dukir had accompanied her at first from the shadows, and later walking side by side and speaking to the girl about many things. When Dukir had returned with Maria in tow, something had shaken the Shade and he was quick to slip back into the shadows without a word to anyone.

Now, Maria stood on the quay with a large wicker basket in hand. The waif made her way across the pier and handed something small to each and every one of the reavers, even approaching Groktur and the Ungors to give them one.

She said little when she gave her tokens to the crew. Simply smiled while the radiant light of her crystal eye shone in the morning light.

Each token was the blossom of a single corpse-flower. They grew wild in the dark forests of the Frostgrave called home, where the dead had been left to rot. The petals of the blossom were so pale they seemed like the luminescence of the white moon Mansleib itself, while the central part of the blossom was a deep, vibrant blood red and tiny veins of the same red threaded themselves through the edges of the petals.

The blossom was joined to a small piece of driftwood and holly, lashed together with thin, woven reeds. It was meant to be worn around a wrist, or as a broach. It was simple craftsmanship – but to think that the waif somehow created one for every member of the Red Song implied she had not slept at all the night before, too busy weaving tokens of her affection for the crew. But Maria did not seem at all troubled by this, and simply stood there smiling while many of the reavers stared at her in confusion as she offered them the trinket.

True to her word, Lissakah Ashweaver arrived at the Red Song and she did not do so alone. Three of her sisters were with her. Each was dressed for battle, with their lithesome armour studded in razors and their long manes of hair spilling to their hips, unrestrained, though threaded through with thin chains that sported hooks and other jagged implements. The only weapons they carried with slender daggers with wickedly serrated edges.

Most of the reavers gave the Witch Elves a wide berth, though Lissakah made a point of greeting Egil and Larus both with a sly smile and a tip of her head as they boarded the Red Song.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

If you’ve got something important to note that you’re doing before the ship departs, feel free.

14th Vorgenheim

The Red Song departed from Winterscorn Hold as the sun had just broken the mountains, and the sky was bright with nary a cloud to be seen. While the wind was brisk and carried the chill of approaching winter, the sun beat down hotly upon the reavers and many had shed their armour to enjoy the invigorating breeze.

Sailing east, they made their way along the rocky coasts of the Norscan peninsula. Much of the land between the Red Bear and Winterscorn tribes was uninhabited, and inhospitably rocky with tall cliffs and towering waterfalls that filled the air with cold mist even hundreds of feet out into the sea.

In early evening of the second day, they passed a tall cliff upon which an old hold was carved into the side. It began with a small harbour at the bottom, with stone pathways and bridged ascending the cliff face and passing beneath a massive waterfall, where there was a large stone door that led into the cliff itself.

Many of the reavers muttered to themselves, and gave hand signs against curses and dark magic as they passed. It was, supposedly, the fortress-tomb of an ancient Champion of the Dark Gods who was slain a thousand years ago. Few were brave enough to venture within the depths of the fortress tomb, but rumours ran thick with the notion of lost treasure plundered from across the Old and New World.

Eventually, the Red Song approached a small cluster of rocky islands that marked the beginning of Red Bear territory. Bodhi ordered the Red Song to drop anchor and maintained that they would camp on one of the rocky isles and make their attack the next day when it was most advantageous to do so. It would provide them with a chance to survey the landscape that they would be assaulting.

Once camp had been set up in a location of Astrid's suggesting, it quickly became clear that a ten minute walk to the top of the rocky isle allowed for unrestricted access across a small bay to where the Red Bear hold sat.

It was too far to make out many details, but they were able to see three ships similar to the Red Song sitting in the small harbour there. Smoke from cooking fires rose, and mingled with a plume of thick smoke that seemed to come from a large building near the docks that still smoldered with licking flames. Astrid explained that it was their boathouse, where their shipwrights crafted their longboats.
    "Even in these chains, you can't stop me!" - In This Moment, Big Bad Wolf

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

Morgul

On the dock

Morgul looked surprised as Maria appeared but ruffled her hair gently and nodded approvingly at the charm. Taking it seriously he tied the charm tightly around one of his horn before taking his leave. He nodded approvingly to Garm as he boarded happy that with paid mercaneries and the dark elf she would be safe.

On the voyage

For the short trip he spent much of it on deck, either fighting and practicing with the ungors and reavers or throwing his rune covered bones to see the future. As they passed the cursed cave he took flight, soaring near the cliffs and crashing falls looking for a sign of hidden power.

Spoiler: Raven
    Show

Channel (1d100)[92] TN61 for +2 on roll
    Aspect Raven (2d10)[4][2](6)
    -- curse if needed (1d100)[88]

Perception (1d100)[15] TN 71
    Magical sense (1d100)[67] TN 61

At the cove

Reaching the cove he looked around then down at the three boats and the scurrying ant like figures. He looks at Groktur and points at the boats. "Much food for the gors yes?"

Before he goes to find Bodhi and Astrid. "Morgul fly and look to the village. What hut important "

Spoiler: Raven 2
    Show

Channel (1d100)[66] TN61 for +2 on roll
    Aspect Raven (2d10)[9][4](13) +1 ingredients
    -- curse if needed (1d100)[70]

Perception (1d100)[14] TN 71
    Magical sense (1d100)[85] TN 61

Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The Morning

"PLANT SPEARS" Shouts Nicoli to the newly trained Norscan Pikeman, drilling them over and over with the proper response to a calvary charge. Planting there Spears down to form a proper Phalenx against the potential charge of the Bretonians. They were fresh. A bit green when it came to using the weapons of there empire, but he was impressed by the progress. "Is good for now. Keep training in mind while on boat" he says, finishing up the final training

On the Boat

Nicoli holds the side of the ship, his new mail armor fastened to his body "Ugh..Boats" The Kisleite says, his sea sicknes starting to churn his s tomach. He looks up from the side of the ship, his rifle being used to keep him steady as he looks out over the water..to the boats "Crow..it may be time to look for openings. Be ready..a storm comes" He says with a grim tone watching the smoke rise

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

11th Vorgenheim

Bjorni almost brought the lash against his head thrall for letting the girl out at night but then again, just like with his brother he couldn't actually stop her and the skald hadn't given the order to.

A smile accompanied the news that she had somehow scared the shade, he lowered to be near her height when she delivered the lucky charm, putting a hand on her shoulder "you got some real talent. I'll bring you something fun when we come back, aye?" he then donned it in his mail shirt so that she could see before sending her off. Nodding approval to the thugs for their service.

trip there

Bjorni whistled loudly as he was told the legends surrounding the tomb, mayhaps a stop there wouldn't do them wrong on the trip back?

14th Vorgenheim

Bjorni leaves his armor in the makeshift tent he was using, sharpening his axe for the upcoming battle, he looks at ashweaver's crew and then at larus and egil, if way better warriors than him could do it... why not?

he approached breathstealer, "Larus! I heard you gave the druchii a run for her money, mind if I borrow them fancy mittens to try my luck? you can laugh when she plants me on my ass"

assuming Larus agreed

Bjorni reeks of undeserved confidence, the elegant knuckledusters he borrowed drawing a contrast with his rough campaign clothes as he approached the small gathering of witches, approaching ashweaver over the rest with a grin and a small nod of respect "I heard you are taking sparring partners?"

Show
    1st turn: aim, standard attack.
    attack: (1d100)[26] TN 50 (40+10 aim)
    parry: (1d100)[83] TN 40
    2nd turn: feint, standard attack.
    feint: (1d100)[73] TN 40
    attack: (1d100)[35] TN 40
    parry: (1d100)[16] TN 40
    3rd turn: guarded attack
    attack: (1d100)[43] TN 30
    parry: (1d100)[20] TN 50
    4rth turn: aim, standard attack:
    attack: (1d100)[26] TN 50
    parry: (1d100)[31] TN 40
    5th turn: all out attack.
    attack: (1d100)[60] TN 60
    Last edited by neriractor; 2018-10-12 at 10:36 AM.
    Ah, yes, trolls, the monsters that are such wusses their primary means of reproduction is being eaten by other creatures.
    With all this talk of half dragon cohorts I may need to scrap riding a actual Dragon given how unoptimized it is.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

11th Vorgenheim

To Egil
    "Would you look at that," Lárus says to Egil, shaking his head at Nicoli's reaver pikemen. "Those fools will be lucky if they don't stab each other rather than whatever horseflesh comes their way," he snorts.

"What do you make of him anyway? The Kislevite, I mean. Ymirsdotter seems to hang on his every word, as if she truly believes the eyes of the Crow Father are upon him, or that all his talk of warring in Kislev makes him some sort of master general. All I hear is a man planning battles against a foe he has never met, and with no knowledge of their numbers, their quality, or the battlefield that awaits us. Would you be led by such a one?"

To Maria
    Lárus is temporarily dumbfounded when Maria gifts him with her token, but recovers before she moves on. "Thank you, little one. But what is the meaning of this gift?"

To Ashweaver
    "Mistress," he greets the Witch Elf. "I pray there will be foemen enough to slake both your thirst and that of your sisters. And I am glad to see that you have taken... precautions," he continues, indicating their armour. "Astrid Red Bear says that our enemies have many archers with them. I suspect even you would be hard pressed to dodge a full volley from Bretonnian longbows."

14th Vorgenheim

To Astrid
    Lárus eyes the scene before him carefully. "Astrid Red Bear, you said during the feast that the Bretonnians numbered some mounted knights among them, as well as some better armoured footmen. Could you hazard a guess as to how many of each, and how many Bretonnians in all?"

To Morgul
    "Seek out the Jarl's hold, shaman, and tell us whether it still stands or whether the Bretonnians have battered their way inside. We also need to know if they have prepared any defences - sentries, fences, and the like - and how many they are. And see if you can spot any Red Bear survivors. If the Bretonnians hold some of Astrid's people prisoner, then we may be able to find allies there when we attack."

"In fact - with your permission warleader - if Jarl Mjorni is still holding out, then perhaps Morgul Dark Crow should seek to enter the hold itself and speak to him. Even if he has only a small number of warriors in there with him, then an attack from the hold when we begin our own assault could help secure victory."

To Bjorni
    Lárus responds to Bjorni's request with a harsh laugh and a shake of his head. "It is not the gloves that make the warrior, skald, you know that. But if they'll give you the confidence to test your mettle against Ashweaver, then take them and do your worst."

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ettin in the Playground

11th Vorgenheim

Egil is in enough of a good mood to ignore his headache. Now resolved to use his money for a better purpose before he manages to fritter it away, he will go looking for extra booze to distribute to the crew when needed.

Having had his own children, he will accept Maria's gift with all due seriousness. The child was...odd, but not strange enough for him to be worried by, and he could use all the support that he could get.

Egil will reply to Larus, taking his words seriously. 'Be led, never. But in truth I am barely led by anyone. I follow Bodhi because she's a good fighter and raider and that is mostly enough. I respect that Nicoli thinks about these things, something I've never had the head for. Kharneth cares only for blood, even if it's ours. I would rather do whatever we must to win.'

'Besides, if the Grandfather is truly with him there's also a chance he might step in here.'

He will smile and bow slightly as Lissakah arrives, which is generally more respect then Egil shows to anyone. In response to Larus's comment about the archers, 'If that happens something has gone very wrong indeed.'

14th Vorgenheim

Egil wanders if Bjorni fully understood was he was doing, but seeing that he was willing to face Lissakah made him respect the man. 'Good luck Skald.'

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

14th Vorgenheim

before challenging the druchii

he answered with a chuckle of his own "is not confidence I'm lacking, just something to stop the pointy bits... will do"

he put on the gloves as he passed by egil, a playful smile on his face as he thanked the norscan way "yours? now I know it'll be painful"

11. - Top - End - #251
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

11th Vorgenheim

Groktur takes the charm from Maria and nods to her in respect, gesturing forcefully for the ungors to do the same. He ignores the Druchii. Such creatures were fools, honouring gods other than the Powers, and such were not worthy of his attention.

14th Vorgenheim

As the ship passes the tomb, Groktur spits over the side of the boat. He sees no reason for the fear and veneration that the other reavers gave to the place. The fool within had proven himself unworthy by allowing himself to be slain, and so there was nothing to be afraid of.

Nearing the isle he turns to Morgul, replying with something resembling a smile on his bestial face:

"Yes. Much meat for gors."

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

Reavers of the Red Song

11 Vorgenheim

Larus

Looking up at Larus while he accepted the small token she had given him, Maria gave the Breathstealer a small smile.

“The flower is beloved by Death. With this, perhaps he will not turn his attentions upon you in the battle to come.”

It was a simple, child-like explanation, and yet something of her answer seemed far too knowing.

14 Vorgenheim

Morgul

As they passed the fortress-tomb, Morgul called upon the Amber Wind to change into the form of a dark-feathered crow, but the Winds rebelled against him and seemed reluctant to be molded to his will. While he was able to release his hold upon them and let his spell fizzle, he did notice that the area they sailed through showed signs of many, many ships hidden just below the waves.

It seemed as if they were passing through a graveyard of downed vessels.

When Morgul and the Red Song arrived at the cove near the Hold of the Red Bear tribe, the bray-shaman was able to grasp the Amber Wind of Ghur more readily, and soon found himself soaring high above their target.

The three ships that were berthed just off the coast held minimal crew, and of those he saw, few carried much in the way of weapons beyond a belaying pin or a simple cutlass. Fewer wore more than heavy, fur-lined clothing to help stave off the chill of the approaching Norscan winter.

Beyond the ships, the village was thoroughly occupied. There were large bonfires burning throughout the town, and the Bretonnian men-at-arms were clustered around them with halberds held listlessly as they sought whatever comfort they could against the cold. Mugs of hot broth were handed out to warm the bones, and keep their energy up and Morgul could see that any Norscan villagers whom were not in their homes were escorted everywhere they went by the halberdiers. Groups of archers were clustered on hills, or rooftops to keep a vantage point to watch for trouble and men in heavy mail seemed to move about the village giving orders or checking in on the guards.

Higher upon a hill that overlooked the village was the stone fort that made up the Red Bear Jarl’s own hold, and it was surrounded by hastily made wooden palisades that would provide the besiegers some measure of defense if the Norscans within launched an assault. This is where the majority of the Bretonnian’s seemed to be resting, and Morgul saw a single man in heavy armour with a crest of red and black horse hair spilling across his helmet sitting on a horse, speaking to a number of the mail-clad footmen.

Further afield, Morgul realized that the approach to the village was a narrow ravine with a small, but fast-flowing stream at the bottom. A winding path led along the shores of the stream, and would provide reasonable cover to approach if one were to come from further inland. Beyond that there were high, rocky ridges that surrounded the small clearing in which the village sat. Unfortunately, most of the paths down from these ridges were in plain view to anyone in the village.

A ways east of the hill that the hold itself sat upon, however, was a small forested area that crept right up to the base of the hill. While the edge of the woods was lightly guarded by the Bretonnians, the forest could provide a sheltered approach right to the hold itself if they chose to bypass the village altogether.

Show

If Morgul wishes, he can easily slip inside the hold as a crow, though he’d need to drop the spell in order to converse with anyone therein.

If he just took a peek, he’d see about twenty Norscan warriors – three of which are Jarl Mjorni’s heavily mutated huskarl. The Jarl himself, withered and ancient as he is, appears to be on his deathbed. He’s coughing and likely caught some illness at his advanced age that will end him sooner rather than later.

Raskir appears to be very agitated, and though he’s taken command of those remaining, he doesn’t seem to have much of a plan for getting them out of this bind.

The Grail Maiden – Colette du Lyse – is a beautiful young maiden, likely not older than seventeen or eighteen, with golden hair and bright green eyes. She’s looking a bit malnourished, and her features are beginning to take on a sunken appearance. Hands have been heavily bound, and she’s been gagged. Colette has a deep purple bruise on one eye, and her wrists are raw and bleeding from the bindings. She’s housed in a storage pantry, of all things, where she’s barely able to stand up. Morgul also smells excrement and urine. Looks like she’s been in there a while.

Bjorni

Lissakah offered Bjorni a sly grin as he strapped the knuckle-duster bracers on, and stretched languidly like a cat as she loosened muscles that had begun to stiffen from the cold.

“When you are ready, human.” Lissakah purred.

The skald began with a precise attack, seeking to put the Witch Elf on the defensive. He appeared to be successful, as she made no attempt to attack him outright, instead, she slipped into a low, wide stance that required little expenditure of energy to bob and weave out of the way of the skalds attacks. Each punch, or kick, seemed to catch nothing but air as she nimbly avoided his blows.

Realizing that Lissakah being on the defensive wasn’t necessarily a good way of trying to find victory, Bjorni tried to maneuver himself into a position where he would be able to distract her. He threw a punch towards the Druchii, but she saw the motion for what it was and instead of trying to defend against it, she stepped back out of his reach and interrupted the follow-up attack he had planned with a snapping kick that Bjorni was barely able to avoid himself.

Lissakah’s predatory smile made Bjorni’s stomach flip uncomfortably, and he brought his guard up in preparation for the counter attack he felt was coming. His instincts had been right, and the Witch Elf leapt to attack with a pair of viper-quick kicks. One managed to catch Bjorni in the ribs, bringing a stinging throb and a sudden loss of breath, but the skald scrambled out of the way of the second before launching a kick at Lissakah, but found nothing but air.

Precision was what was needed, and Bjorni raised his hands on the defensive again as he tried to wait for an opportunity to strike the dark elf. The first of her attacks – a knife-hand towards his throat – was stopped as the Skald stepped into her reach and knocked her arm aside before using the momentum of his forward movement for a sudden haymaker. Bjorni’s movements into her space threw off her timing for a follow up attack, and she just barely managed to tumble back out of his reach before his blow landed. The skald felt the tickling caress of her long hair across his arm as she maneuvered away, clueing him in to how close he had been to landing the blow.

Bjorni seemed to have Lissakah on the defensive now, and tried to capitalize by launching a desperate last-ditch attempt to strike her. His blow was true, though the frantic nature of the attack had spoiled his accuracy only somewhat. Lissakah managed to avoid his blow easily enough by ducking under his blow and launching herself up in a leap just within his reach. The skald caught her lithe elbow in his chin, and he staggered back from the blow.

When the lithesome elf landed back on solid ground from her blow, she tilted her head to the side with that same sly grin.

“Not bad, human. Close. But not close enough.”

Spoiler: Combat Rolls for Lissakah Ashweaver
    Show

Round 1: Defensive Stance
    Dodge (1d100)[67]

Round 2: Aim, Standard Attack
    (1d100)[82]
    Dodge (1d100)[48]

Round 3: Swift Attack
    Attack 1 (1d100)[35]
    Attack 2 (1d100)[82]
    Dodge (1d100)[18]

Round 4: Swift Attack
    Attack 1 (1d100)[51]
    Attack 2 (1d100)[76]
    Dodge (1d100)[13]

Round 5: Guarded Swift Attack
    Attack 1 (1d100)[97]
    Attack 2 (1d100)[9]
    Dodge (1d100)[41]

Larus

The exact number of Bretonnian’s was harder for Astrid to ascertain, though she guessed there was not more than a handful of the more heavily armoured horsemen. Most of them wore bright, colourful heraldry and she had counted five specific individuals.

Spoiler: The Tomb-Fortress of Savrok the Tyrant of the Sea
    Show

Savrok began his life as a reaver, much like the rest of you among Bodhi’s crew. Right from the start, Savrok seemed to carry the favour of the Four Brothers and his raids quickly became infamous. As his skill and followers grew, his raids began to expanded further afield and there are stories of Savrok even raiding the southern shores of Ulthuan and the eastern coast of Lustria. No seaside settlement was safe and Savrok became known as the Tyrant of the Sea, as he ruled a massive fleet of reavers, pirates and raiders.

Savrok amassed treasure and plunder from far and wide, and stored it in the vast fortress he had carved into the cliffs of Norsca where his fleet returned to weather the nastiest months of winter.

The Tyrant of the Sea was eventually slain when a coalition fleet of Elves (both High and Dark), men from Estalia, Tilea and the Empire and pirates from the Isle of Sartossa followed his fleet back to his fortress in the North. They sunk the majority of his fleet just off the coast of his fortress, and Savrok himself was wounded by a poison dart from a Druchii assassin. He fled into his fortress with those followers still living, and called down a curse upon the coalition that had bested him.

None of the ships in the coalition made it home, swallowed by deep-dwelling beasts or wild storms.

Since then, Savrok was assumed to be dead as his reign was broken and his fortress remained a desolate scar in the cliffs of Norsca’s northern shores.

15 Vorgenheim

The Norscans broke camp very early, before the sun had even risen. Bodhi was adamant that they use the early-morning darkness as an advantage with their assault on the Bretonnian occupation of Red Bear lands. While the greater bulk of the reavers, along with Groktur’s ungors were busy arming themselves and wolfing down a heavy breakfast that would give them the energy for a potentially protracted engagement, Bodhi called her commanders to gather below the hold of the Red Song where she had laid out the rudimentary map of the surrounding lands that Astrid had provided.

Aside from Morgul, Groktur, Egil, Larus, Otto, Nicoli and Bjorni, were also Astrid, Lissakah and Bodhi herself.

“Most of the occupation force is holding a garrison around the hold. From Morgul’s assessment, this is where the majority of their more heavily armed forces are located. The village is held by a few of their footmen, and a larger number of halberdiers and archers. The village would be vulnerable, as the majority of the men here are simple enlisted warriors. Not trained soldiers. We could approach from the ravine, or approach the hold from the woods.” Bodhi outlined, pointing to various places on the map with the point of a dagger.

“I had considered a three-pronged attack. I would lead a some of our men in an assault from the beach to draw their ire, while the rest of you break the remaining reavers into two groups. One through the ravine and one through the forest. Thoughts?”
    Last edited by Erulasto; 2018-10-14 at 03:17 AM.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Lárus studies the map intently as Bodhi outlines her plan. "Whoever leads this force is no fool, warleader. He has placed his archers where they can easily rain death on any resistance within the village, and he has ensured that Jarl Mjorni and his huskarls cannot break out of the fort by themselves. Dividing our forces invites defeat in detail, but I think you are right - we must risk it to draw the Bretonnians into a battle that favours us. We have no cavalry and precious few archers, but we are strong in close combat. We should therefore aim to close with the enemy as quickly as possible - the Bretonnians do not understand the ways of Kharneth, so their archers will hesitate to fire on us if they risk killing their own. If we can force them to fight in the streets, then their knights will also find it difficult to mount a charge."

"Even so, we are likely outnumbered. They came in three ships, we brought our whole force in one. We are no more than fifty warriors all told, plus Astrid Red Bear and her walking wounded. We will need whatever forces the Jarl has with him in the hold if we are to be successful. I suggest that we do as you have planned, but we must time our attacks carefully. The Red Song should sail with all speed to the village, bringing yourself, the lion's share of our warriors, and Astrid with it. There is no way to make the approach undetected, so we should make the most of it by drawing as much attention as possible and then attacking with fire and fury. Once in the village, you should seek to cut your way to the hold, forcing the Bretonnians to commit as many of their soldiers as possible to holding you back. At the same, Astrid should try to rally the villagers to fight by your side."

"Before the Red Song sails into the cove, we should divide the remaining men into two groups and have one move along the ravine and the other approach the hold through the woods. Once the fighting in the village begins, the force in the ravine should also attack - hopefully any Bretonnians that are not with the main force at the fort will be panicked when they find another force attacking them in the rear. If we are lucky, the enemy commander will also react by sending more reinforcements into the town. Our warriors need not be concerned with clever tactics - they should aim to hack their way through and link up with you as quickly as possible."

"The last group should approach through the woods. It should be fast moving and woods wise, but also needs to include some our strongest warriors. When all other forces in town are engaged, this group will attack the remaining Bretonnians at the hold. At the same time Jarl Mjorni must be made to sally forth from the fort. If we can break the siege and defeat the Bretonnian commander, then I am certain that the rest of them will panic and flee for their ships."

Stopping briefly to assess Bodhi's reaction, Lárus decides to plough on and offers some final opinions. "For the force that is to approach through the woods, I would suggest that it should include Groktur and his beastmen, as well as Mistress Ashweaver and her sisters. I would also volunteer myself and Egil. Having Morgul Dark Crow with us would also be most valuable, but in truth his magic will likely be needed everywhere."

OOC: Lárus' assessment that breaking our forces into three units will work is based on the assumption that there are no actual walls around the village proper. The idea is to cause maximum confusion among the defenders. IMO, the main force should be as close to thirty strong as possible, with the remaining units ten to fifteen strong each, including all NPCs and PCs.

If there are walls, splitting into three units seems suicidal, and it would be better to have one main force land by ship and a second force attack through the woods.

Also note that at this point I don't know whether Morgul ever entered the hold and spoke with the Jarl and the warriors there. If there are enough of them, then the unit attacking the hold can be made relatively small, since it only needs to hold on long enough for the defenders to sally forth.

Edit: ...and one more thing. I had assumed that Astrid brought at least some of her warriors with her to take back the village. How many might they be? Assuming there are any, it seems like a good idea for one or two of them to accompany the forest and ravine units as guides. They surely know the best way to move quickly and unseen through the local terrain.
    Last edited by rax; 2018-10-14 at 07:03 AM.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

Morgul

The dark crow flaps low over the village, swooping up and down on the brutal winds blowing in from the cruel sea and enjoying the salt spray. He twists around the watch towers, eyes counting the guards in the towers, the horde of brettoniann amidst the cowed villagers or the Red Bear tribe. Weak villagers to be cowed so easily. he continues upwards and lands on the edge of the castle keep. A loud caw to announce his presence before he hops through one of the narrow slits and into the long hall roof. He breathed in the smoke, the fear and smell of dirt, death and decay.

Hopping down onto the table in the hall he sembled back into his true form. Ignoring the cries of alarms he stretched out his arms, raising his arms in a placating gesture (in as much as a be-weaponed 5 armed and horned beastman appearing can be). Looking for the largest of the hurscals he barks at them "Hurscal. I am Morgul, I sail with Bodhi - Winterscorn tribe. We bring warriors and Red Bear sister Jarl. We slay all the southern manlings togther." He hops down from the table and approaches the decaying Jarl, a sniff of distaste at the decay surrounding him. He looks at the hurscals and the young son. "We slay all invaders, make pyramid of skulls and make cloaks from skin. Red Bears claim back manhood stolen by manlings with fancy flags." He gestures vaguely to the doors and the walls beyond. "When slaughter and fighting starts in village you hit rear of invaders. Make them weep and feast on flesh."

Assuming they agree to join in the attack he moves to the pantry where the grail maiden is. Crouching beside the terrified waif he props her up with one set of arms, brushing the hair from her bruised and filthy face. He ignores the smell, the stench normal to one from the beast herds. "Small girl. You channel power like Maria child?" he strokes the long dirty hair gently as he looks for something special in her, some sign of the Gods or the power of the Gods residing within her. Then he lays her back down, wrapping a blanket around her to give her small measure of comfort.

Show

Magical sense (1d100)[81] TN 61

Heading back to the main hall he looks for the son of the Jarl and motions to the pantry. "Leave maiden be. If harm come to her I tear heart free and eat it. She not touched anymore." His ultimatum made he looks to the strongest, biggest and meanest of the hurscals. "When battle is joined you join us?" Then he pulls the magic back into his form, a thick amber cloud of spice smelling smoke gathering around him as he sembles back into a raven and soars upwards through the arrow slits and flaps quickly over the woods looking for any patrols before turning and returning to Bodhi's camp.

Spoiler: Magic
    Show

Raven

1. Channel (1d100)[4] TN 61 (for +2), magic (2d10)[6][7](13) (if doubles (1d100)[65]) If fail then retry as needed)
    2. Channel (1d100)[2] TN 61 (for +2), magic (2d10)[2][10](12) (if doubles (1d100)[62])
    3. Channel (1d100)[7] TN 61 (for +2), magic (2d10)[3][8](11) (if doubles (1d100)[42])

Back at the Camp

In the war camp as Morgul joins the others he relays the observations to the others and tells them of the conversation with the remaining Red Bear warriors that should sally forth and attack. More quietly he waits for a moment when Astrid steps away then looks back at Bodhi and the others. "Jarl near death, Neglish claim him inch by inch. He smell bad that even Gors not eat his flesh. Son is weak, run and scream like manling women." He says it in such a way the clearly does not think of Bodhi in that sort of category.

Listening to Larus and Bodhi he nods. "Breathstealer speaks wisely. Beasts born in woods. We hunt." Looking at Groktur he he gestures at the woods. "Breathstealer speak wisely Groktur? Ungor come hunt with shaman and the druchii brides of Kharneth." He looks down at the plan and then back at the others. "Morgul see grail maiden. Gods bless her, she will make great sacrifice on pyre to the Gods. Do we care for Red Bear tribe? Why not steal maiden from hall and then return Winterscorn. We take some skulls with us and then give glory to the gods?"

He looks down at the mass of the brettonians in the village. "Will village people of Red Bear stand and fight? They look like beaten curs. No fight left. If not fight then too many Red Song clan die."

Show

I agree with the plan sounds good. I like the beastman and stealthy team striking the rear as the bulk make a distraction and fight on the beachfront/docks.
    Only think he may suggest is grab the Grail Maiden and then leave leave Red Bear to their fate.

Last edited by DrK; 2018-10-14 at 08:33 AM.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Nicoli nods along As Larus lays out his Battle plans "I Agree. This Plan seems sound. The Bretonians Outnumber us, so suprise and Skill is what we must use as our tools of victory" He takes his rifleout, checking the machine's barrel and already starting to load it "I can Move with Astrid and the Main Force. I Would not do well with a loud fire arm in the woods. Position would be revlead Quickly. Unless I can find a good Sharpshooting nest, that way I can try to kill iportant targets before the battlel begins, but, I dont hold hope. Though...actually. if I can make it to a Ridge while the Main Force does battle, I may be ableto provide resonable support. The Streltsi are Trained in Sharpshooting, thus, it will be apropriate"

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by DrK View Post
    Listening to Larus and Bodhi he nods. "Breathstealer speaks wisely. Beasts born in woods. We hunt." Looking at Groktur he he gestures at the woods. "Breathstealer speak wisely Groktur? Ungor come hunt with shaman and the druchii brides of Kharneth." He looks down at the plan and then back at the others. "Morgul see grail maiden. Gods bless her, she will make great sacrifice on pyre to the Gods. Do we care for Red Bear tribe? Why not steal maiden from hall and then return Winterscorn. We take some skulls with us and then give glory to the gods?"

He looks down at the mass of the brettonians in the village. "Will village people of Red Bear stand and fight? They look like beaten curs. No fight left. If not fight then too many Red Song clan die."
    "Beaten curs, shaman? For the moment, the people of the Red Bear are thralls, but not so many weeks ago, it was the same with the beastkin that Groktur purchased in Kollsvik. And yet here they are, ready to fight and die for him. I wager it'll be the same here. All the villagers need is some hope that they can cast out the invaders... and we're bringing them that. When we land, they will see that Astrid and her bondsmen have returned, and that Jarl Aemon honours his alliance with Mjorni Red Bear - that should put a fire in their bellies."

"Of course, if we do nothing but try and steal Raskir's trophy woman, then that hope will be lost, but so will Jarl Aemon's reputation. I would have thought that even beastkin understand the importance of honouring an alliance? Only the mightiest can stand alone against the world, and Jarl Aemon is not so mighty that he can manage such a feat. If we betray the Red Bears for our own profit, then Jarl Aemon will soon find himself friendless. And somehow I do not think he will sit quietly by and let that happen..."

OOC: Oh, and if we go through with the three-pronged attack, I think it would be a good idea if we can retcon it so that Morgul instructed the fort's defenders to wait for the sound of a horn or other audible signal (I assume we have some of these in the war band). We don't want them to come charging out too soon.
    Last edited by rax; 2018-10-14 at 02:56 PM.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

14 Vorgenheim

Bjorni shook the snow from himself as he lifted himself of the floor, he knew better than to wait for a helping hand from the drucchii. He got a good look at her and shone pearls with a wolfish grin "maybe next time... Khaine sure has good taste in wives, is he prone to jealousy?"

15 Vorgenheim

The skald nodded sagely as breathstealer finished wording his plan in detail "peerless warrior, tactician and looked favorably by the gods, all as a youngster, you may be the first man I've ever sold short!" I'll be joining our captain with the bulk of our forces, the banner held high will keep spirits high as well, and make our force look all the more threatening. Speaking of fire Astrid, I reckon you wouldn't like us burning some long houses? With archers perched on the roofs a quick torching may be our best way to smoke them out, the villagers will leave easily at the sight of it, while the archers will just jump to our waiting steel"

When Astrid left, bjorni jumped on the chance like a wolf, barely a second after Morghul spoke "It's a set up, we come back with our strength drained from us or as cowards. If we leave the red bears behind we better be damn right they are all dead, one doesn't just shake off that kind of disgrace, it is an option, but one we should consider carefully. Letting the red bears take the brunt? It'll happen, no question."

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

Morgul

The shaman looks at Larus a savage grin. "Gods blessing above all manlimgs. Red Bears a decaying tribe. Weed out the weak." He shrugs his hulking distended shoulders. "Bodhi chief here, Morgul go in woods with Groktur and hunt. Eat flesh, take skulls, make Gods happy. Breathstealer and Bodhi make war plans." Picking up a skin of sour wine he takes a sip before offering it to Larus as a clear peace offering.

At Bjorni's words the beastman nods. "Aemon long in cunning. Break Bodhi. She take ships, sacrifice and Red Bear men but not dying Jarl or weak son. Then Bodhi keep strength." He shrugs again before grinning at the skald. "Beast herd easy. Challenger fight chief. Stronger eat heart of weaker."

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ettin in the Playground

14th Vorgenheim

Quote Originally Posted by neriractor View Post
    he put on the gloves as he passed by egil, a playful smile on his face as he thanked the norscan way "yours? now I know it'll be painful"
    Egil only laughs at that.

15th Vorgenheim

'It is a good plan Larus. My only concern is with me being capable of moving quietly in those woods. Nevertheless, I will accompany whichever of the groups you suggest.'

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Too tired to plan at the moment. Egil has Ag 29 and Move Silent at basic if that matters.

20. - Top - End - #260

Goblin

Groktur nods at Morgul's words:

"I will lead Ungors through wood. Is natural habitat, will make for good hunt. We kill them and take their skulls for herdstone and skins for cloaks."

After hearing Larus' words, he speaks up again.

"Reaver speaks true. Must give weak chance to prove - we will not abandon them. We honour our alliance."

He thumps his chest in emphasis.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

Reavers of the Red Song

15th Vorgenheim

Morgul

The bray-shaman alighted himself onto the table in the fort's common hall, where many many Norscans had crowded in uncomfortably tense silence. With a single caw from his black beak, Morgul drew the attention of many of Mjorni's warriors and servants. Even Raskir, who was lazily sitting on a small throne made of ornatly carved bone that served as the Jarl's seat of power, looked up sharply.

Morgul saw the dark circles under his eyes, and could smell the booze on the man's breath from even there. Ignoring the stunned heir, and turning to a man in heavy mail that stood near Raskir, Morgul announced his intentions and could see a flicker of hope in the eyes of those gathered.

The huskarl took one look at Raskir from under thick, bushy black brows before turning his attention back to the bray-shaman.

"No question, Harbinger." The huskarl said in a thick voice. "We will send these invaders to Kharneth 'fore high sun!"

The news of Astrid's return was met with jubilation, though the Norscans in the fort were careful to avoid drawing too much attention from their gaolers beyond the palisade. Morgul noticed only that Raskir did not seem entirely pleased, and the heir to the Red Bear throne was glowering while he simply cracked open another bottle of wine and began to drink.

If Morgul thought that Raskir had a hateful look, he was surprised at the sheer vehemence in which the Grail Maiden regarded him. Even filthy and abused as she had been, she managed a rage-filled glare at Morgul and her shoulders stiffened as the beastman laid a hand upon her.

The words that spilled from her mouth were foreign to the bray-shaman, though he could sense the venom in them. What he could not sense, was her ability to grasp the Winds of Magic. He knew she must be able to - Astrid was sure there were trustworthy sources who had seen her do it before her capture - but she wasn't actively drawing on any of the Aethyric Winds.

The War Table: Egil, Larus, Groktur, Bjorni, Morgul, Nicoli and Otto

Bodhi listened with rapt attention to the suggestions of her commanders, black eyes never leaving the map. It was only the subtle changes in her expression gave it away. Her mind was compartmentalizing the information, and her imagination was rife with possibility.

"We are in agreement." Bodhi said, before looking curiously at Astrid for assent. The Red Bear princess nodded once, decisively, and Bodhi began to outline her expectations and and assignments for the battle to come.

The Beastmen, led by Groktur and Morgul, along with one of Astrid's scouts and the Dark Elves would accompany the Breathstealer to attack the fort. Egil would lead a number of reavers, and a couple of the Red Bear bondsmen through the ravine. Bjorni and Nicoli would accompany Bodhi and Astrid in the frontal assault - the skald being expected to carry the banner of the Winterscorn while Astrid had her own bannerman. Nicoli would oversee the handful of reavers given pikes, but when the engagement had truly begun, he was free to utilize his own skills as he saw fit.

When the battle had been raised on the docks, and attention began to draw towards the conflict, the two forces would attack from the forest and the ravine. The troops coming from the ravine would likely be able to flank the mass of troops assembling in the North side of the village to repel their main force - though the majority of their fighting would be in the village itself. Meanwhile, the expectation was that the force that was to assail the garrison surrounding the fort would break through to allow the defenders to rally and then together they could push west, down the hill, and into the flank of the bulk of the Bretonnian's fighting force.

If all went according to plan, the Bretonnian's would be caught on three sides.

The Woods

Watching the small band of warriors from the Red Song set off towards the ravine, Morgul watched as Groktur directed the Ungors to slowly lower the second of the three small row-boats carried on the caravel. Lissakah and her sisters were crouching near the ship's railing, spilling small trickles of their blood into a gold chalice to mix with a heady red wine. Lissakah's voice hissed out a brutal sounding cadence of Eltharin that the bray-shaman thought might be a prayer of sorts.

Larus had checked in with the single warrior of the Red Bear tribe who was coming with them to show them the easiest path through the woods. A surprisingly short Norscan woman with rich black hair worn lose and long, save for the right side which had been shorn down unevenly to the scalp. Eir the Fox was her name, and she carried a finely carved bow and a simple sword and dagger were worn at her belt. Eir seemed rather uncomfortable on the ship, gripping the hand rails tightly and seemed even more spooked when she finally settled with the rest on the small row-boat. Her knuckles were white the whole trip east of the bay where they were to set down in a small beach of grayish sand and driftwood and Eir's face seemed a bit green from the rocking of the small craft.

When they had settled in, and they were back on solid ground, Eir didn't seem to need much of a moment to settle herself. Instead, she swiftly led them up the beach and into the gnarled woods. The Ungors followed swiftly, anxious to return to hunt in the underbough and grunting in excitement. Larus, Morgul and Groktur followed as swift as they could.

The trek through the forest was meandering, though relatively easy. Eir led them through a hidden path that avoided the worst of the thick, knotty roots that choked much of the land beneath the tree's and eventually they grew to a point where they could see the stone fort ahead on a hill.

The woods abruptley terminated at the base of the hill, which was rocky - but more or less an even incline. At the very top of the hill, surrounding the fort in its entirety, is a simple wooden palisade that was hastily erected through the forced labour of the villagers from the village. There are no major entrances to the fort from the back save a thick wooden door covering a cellar and two high windows. Given the few options to slip quiety out the back, the rear of the fort facing the forest is relatively lightly guarded. A handful of men-at-arms sit behind the palisade around a small, makeshift campfire. Two archers stand with another halberdier on the north corner of the palisade, right before it curves around to the north side of the fort. These would be the tricky ones, as they are within sight of the rest of the garrison.

From within one of the windows, the warriors can see a Norscan woman - likely a servant - peering out towards the edge of the tree's, watching and waiting for the right moment to call the defenders to arms.

The Ravine

Setting off from the Red Song on a small row-boat, the gathered forces drifted silently in from the west. They made landfall at the mouth of the small stream that ran through the ravine, and pulled the boat ashore. The lands to the west of the Red Bear village were rocky and tall enough that they were only able to see the glow from the various fires in town from the bottom of the ravine. It was rocky and uneven, the cold stream flowing with some speed around mid-calf.

They moved along the ravine, hidden from view, until ahead they saw the looming shadow of a bridge crossing the ravine more than a score of feet high. It was made of thick timbers, reinforced with bands of rusted iron and tight coils of thick weathered rope.

From what the bray-shaman had relayed to the warriors, they knew there was a short run from the top of the ravine at the bridge to the village itself. The rough-packed dirt road that ran across the bridge and into town from the west led between tightly packed wooden huts, and sturdier stone buildings that bore signs of various craftsmen. Anvils and wood-framed racks for tanning leather lined the paths through the buildings. Veering north from the path stood a stone monolith just beyond the range of the village - a shrine to the Four Brothers and the patron ancestor-god of the Red Bear tribe: Gurand.

Egil was chosen to lead the attack from the ravine, and he had Ulf, Hrodgar, Gunnar and Sigrun along as the most veteran number of the reavers. The two bondsmen of the Red Bear tribe were a brawny Norscan in a coat of brass scales on thick, well-oiled leathers named Brand and a beast of a man with two heavy maces and tufts of thick bear fur growing from his leathery, bare skin named Esbjorn. Something about Brand's wild mane of fiery red hair and bead that framed is sharp features made Egil think it was appropriate. He carried a tall wooden kite shield wrapped in leather and a hand axe, and a thick mantle of bear fur hung around his shoulders. For Esbjorn, the maces he carried were heavy iron spheres studded with a few wide spikes about the length of a thumb and he barely wore any armour aside from some leather leggings and fur-lined boots. But his skin seemed more like hide, and bore very few scars.

They carefully picked their way up the gravelly side of the ravine, keeping low near the crest to watch until the sounds of the Red Song swiftly cut into the bay, the booming of drums from the reavers on board and the long, mournful call of Bodhi's bone horn drawing sounds of alarm in Bretonnian from within the village.

The Red Song

The Red Song had seen off the two row-boats that carried the teams meant for the ravine and forest, and the remaining crew were busy on deck preparing themselves for the inevitable forward assault on the docks and village.

Bodhi stood at the bow of the ship, peering at the village in the distance that was gradually growing brighter as the sun continued its skyward journey. Armoured and leaning the haft of her halberd across a shoulder, Bodhi gave the order for Otto to bring the caravel into the bay as swift as he could. The reaver-captain had hoped to get right up alongside the docks to allow her warriors to spill over the edge of the vessel easily and not get caught wading through waist deep water.

Herger was riling up the other reavers, while Astrid had occupied herself by tightening the bindings on her armour before pulling an ornate helm onto her head. The bondsmen who were accompanying Astrid were all ready for battle as well, the majority of them carrying great, two-handed axes and they were milling about their princess as the Red Song cut through the waves and into the bay. One of their number held a hand-axe instead, but leaned upon a tall spear from which the Red Bear banner fluttered in the morning sea-breeze.

A handful of the reavers had their swords and axes tucked into belt-loops or simple scabbards, and instead were carrying a number of pikes taken from Aemon's armouries. The Kislevite's own weapons had been secured, and his guns loaded.

Seeing the Red Bear banner raised, Bjorni finished his own preparations and hoisted the banner of the Winterscorn tribe as well. Herger offered to help the skald tether it to a harness to be worn upon his back if he wished to keep his other hand free during the battle.

The three Bretonnian ships were the first to realize they had company, and they began shouting and waving their arms frantically as the Red Song slipped between them and towards the village docks. A number of the reavers took up simple bows and began lobbing arrows at the ships in passing, and Bjorni and Nicoli could see a number of sailors drop, clutching at arrows now sprouting from their unarmoured flesh.

With the ships passed, Otto guided the Red Song in sharply, spinning the wheel to cause the caravel to lurch swiftly as it almost slid across the waves towards the docks. There were a number of halberdiers and archers present, clustered around small cooking fires to stave away the cold and it didn't take long for someone to notice the caravel's swift approach.

A shout went up from the docks, as men-at-arms and archers began to scatter from their campfires and worked to rally themselves at the dock to repel the Norscan reavers. Nicoli saw a man in a hauberk that hung to his ankles of mail pointing his sword towards them and begin to bark orders in the tongue of the Bretonnian's.

The Red Song had not even fully drifted to a stop when Bodhi's horn sounded, urging the reavers to spill over the railing and charge the disorganized front rank of the halberdiers present. Even as they ran, arrows began to rain from those wounded on the caravel into the defenders and the archers grouping behind the line of halberdiers began to fire frantically at the Norscan charge.

Bodhi was in the front, halberd lancing out to drive back those before her and Astrid and her bondsmen followed swift on her heels. The bondsmen hit the line of the halberdiers, two-handed axes hewing left and right with wide, scything swings.

From his spot on the deck of the Red Song, Nicoli saw a small lighthouse made of rough-shod stone bricks that stood above the docks and gave ample sight across the majority of the town square and beyond.

It had a pair of archers atop it, one of which had begun to ring a large brass bell that hung from a wooden beam covering its small roof to raise the alarm.

Soon, all across the village the sounds of frantic shouting could be heard. The Bretonnian's seemed flummoxed by the sudden attack, but there were voices of sanity that barked orders instead of inciting panic and it was a universal call for their men to take up arms and rush to defend the docks and the north side of town.

Bjorni saw a number of men even quickly filing away from the stone fort, leaving the palisades to reinforce the men who had begun to falter under Bodhi's savage charge.

Show

The Battle for Red Bear Hold has begun.

In your next post, please consider yourselves already at the position to make a real move into attack. For those in the ravine and forest, this means that for your posts you should consider the Red Song to have already begun it's attack.

May the Dark Gods show you favour.

Spoiler: Combat Rolls
    Show

Spoiler: The Docks
    Show

Reavers on the Docks
    (1d100)[2]
    (1d100)[10]
    (1d10+3)[4]
    Red Bear Bondsmen
    (1d100)[18]
    (1d100)[3]
    (1d10+4)[5]
    Bretonnian Halberdiers
    (1d100)[92]
    [roll]1d10+3/roll]
    Bretonnian Archers
    (1d100)[44]
    (1d10+2)[9]

Spoiler: Round 1 Map
    Show

Map

Last edited by Erulasto; 2018-10-15 at 11:44 AM.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Nicoli stood on the bow of the Ship, Rifle in one hand, Berdych in the other. He felt anxious. The last time he was in a large battle was the one he found himself trapped in. Yet, He breathed in a wash of cold air, and breathed out. Calming his shakey Nerves. He plants his Berdych ahea dof him, preparing to set his rifle against it in order to stabalize his weapon. "Stay in Formation Pike Men." he says already leveling his rifle on the Berdysh.

And then, the Battle began. Teh Red Song skirting pst the Bretonians and landing on the shore, Reavers charging there dis organized lines. He watched as the reavers cut through there enemies, there skill proving to be more then then a simple man at arms could face in melee combat. The Mob of Muscle and Axes that were the Bondman also found sucess in cutting through the Line of hlaberds. "Watch For Calvary and stay Together. Move! Now!" he yells to the Pikemen as he levels his shot

The Man in the Mail aror.he must have been one of the commanders of the Bretonians. Nicoli thought that if he could elimiate him or incapasitate him, he could move up to the Light House and find an effective roost to fire on others. Still, he aims for the shouting man, letting out a breath as he squezes the triger, Fire and smoke exploding out of his barrel

Spoiler: Rolls!
    Show

(1d100)[27] VS TN: 41 + 5 + 20= 66
    (1d10+4)[12] or (1d10+4)[5] Damage

Ulric's Fury: (1d10+4)[8]

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

Morgul

The shaman draped leather plates over his chest and heavy greaves on his arms and legs before heading into the boat. Weapons at his hip he rides the boat happiky to shore and moves fleetly and silently. He enjoyed the shadows of the woods, hunting now, nostrils flaring as he followed the small form of Eir the fox. His strong legs flowed over the ground as he easily kept pace with human, ungor and dark elf alike. A beast born of the woods he moved naturally, tree to tree like the predator he was. A whispered "It good to hunt again" to Groktur.

Reaching the palisades he uttered a prayer to the dark gods, strength flowing into him in a surge of dark magic. The creeping like a ghost he gestured at the halberds on the eastern side of the fort. As eyes turned and the battle was joined he crept forward like a massive hunting beast until he was within feet of the halberdman and the pair of archers. He clutched his staff, a pair of axes and a solid wooden shield in his 5 limbs. Then as Groktur, the beasts and the dark elves attacked he lashed out attacking the nearest men, blades swinging with all his might as he seeks to tear down these three men with no one in the village noticing.

Show

Sneak up to trio on the corner. Hopefully with support
    Wait till battle starts and we hear the crack of Nicoli's rifle

Surprise round
    All-out swift attack on halbrdier (if he drops hit the archer if within reach)
    (1d100)[84] TN 45 + 20 all out, + 30 surprise (2d10)[2][2](4)+4 (impact)
    (1d100)[57] TN 45 + 20 all out, + 30 surprise (2d10)[6][3](9)+4 (impact)
    (1d100)[41] TN 45 + 20 all out, + 30 surprise (1d10+5)[10] hand weapon

6 to the left arm, 10 to the left leg, 10 to a head

Init (1d10+3)[7]

Unsettling (WP test or -10% to hit him)
    Last edited by DrK; 2018-10-15 at 04:26 PM.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Bjorni spent the time between the planning and execution strapping his armor, empire helmet from the raid to norland almost spotless. He smiled at Herger and appreciated the help strapping the banner to his back, he would likely need his shield this time.

As the ship passed between the brettonian vessels he took a potshot with his musket, it went wide, he grumbled and reloaded. Then he was charging with the rest, the attack had begun, the Winstercorm banner waving violently as its people did, the loud "thunk" on his raised shield let him know it was the right choice to strap it on his back. From far away he shared Nicoli's thoughts: The leader of the halberdiers had to go. With a scream loud enough to be heard over the sounds of warfare he sung a battle cry he hoped may catch on, igniting the townsfolk to fight, and with it charged the man on the haulberk: "BLOOD FOR GURAND!!!"

Spoiler
    Show
    charge attack, to the same commander guy nicoli shot (or someone else if the shot was enough to down him.)
    (1d100)[19] TN 50 (40 base +10 charge)
    (1d10+3)[8]
    Parry: (1d100)[8] TN 40

5 initiative, 8 damage hit on left leg. Successful party.

Initiative: (1d10+3)[6] -1 (5)
    Charm to have the reavers pick up the chanty, hopefully getting some villagers to fight for their patron god: (1d100)[43] TN 52

Charm, 2 degrees success
    Last edited by neriractor; 2018-10-16 at 07:04 PM.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ettin in the Playground

Egil is now wearing his helmet and the mail shirt he looted from Grenhoff. If they went in hard enough he shouldn't need to be quiet. He is unaccustomed to being in command, but with most of this lot he can probably make it work, and Brand and Esbjorn ought to at least understand what was at stake.

In the ravine his only orders are, 'Stay together and cut down the ones who stand up to us first. If any of their leaders are here they are mine. Even if I lose, what use are these special Bretonnian warriors when we break their army around them.'.

Keeping low, Egil will try to get as close as possible to the village before he hears the sound of Bodhi's horn. Then he will break into a run and make for the position where some of those archers were supposed to be.

Spoiler
    Show

Full Action - Charge Attack with Great Sword

vs. 46 (+10)
    (1d100)[80]

Damage SB 3 + 2d10 (pick the highest) (enemies get +10 to parry or dodge)
    (2d10)[3][1](4)

Kharneth's Fury if needed
    vs. 56 (1d100)[77]
    Any extra damage (1d10)[10]

Dodge if needed
    vs. Ag 29 (-10 mail shirt)
    (1d100)[39]

26. - Top - End - #266

Goblin

Groktur leads his ungors through the woods, slipping silently through the trees despite the mail he now wore over his form. He does not reply to Morgul's words, instead simply giving a nod.

As they leave the cover of the forest, their creeping movements slowly turn into a lope, then break altogether into a run. Silently, they fall upon the halberdiers, Groktur's face pulled into an expression of rage as he brings his spear down on an unfortunate Bretonnian.

Spoiler: Actions:
    Show
    Charge (Full Action)(1d100)[14] TN 50 (WS 40 + 10 Charge)
    FP Reroll: (1d100)[47]
    Damage: (1d10+3)[7]
    Last edited by Morovir; 2018-10-16 at 01:54 AM.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Lárus lets the beastmen lead the way, using them to shield his approach. As the group divides, he decides to follow Morgul in attacking the three men at the north corner of the palisade. Bursting from the woods, he charges silently at one of the archers.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Charge with spear(full action): (1d100)[89] vs. 60 (WS 50 +10 charge) or 90 (WS 50 +10 charge +30 unaware foe)
    Damage: (1d10+5)[8]
    Notes: -10 to parry or dodge spear

Edit: Spending Fortune Point in OOC thread if necessary. Also rolling a Parry.
    Last edited by rax; 2018-10-16 at 12:17 PM.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

Reavers of the Red Song

Battle for Red Bear Hold, 15 Vorgenheim, 2501

Bjorni, Nicoli and Otto

Battle raged around Nicoli and Bjorni as they pressed forward, the Reavers and Bondsmen for the Red Bear tribe reaping a bloody toll on the ill-fated Bretonnian's - though it seemed that under the direction of the man in mail, their lines had begun to form. Soon enough, the Norscan momentum had faltered and they were being held firm by a solid line of halberds. Arrows still lobbed over the engagement, catching the rear ranks of the Reavers and Bondsmen.

Nicoli raised his rifle, the barrel stabilized on the hooked beak of his berdysh. The battle fell away from the Kislevite, and all he heard was the droning of the great swarm of flies that followed him. With steady hands, Nicoli drew a bead on the mail-clad footman, taking a single deep breath. As he exhaled, his finger twitched on the trigger and a loud, clapping retort snapped over the din of battle. The footman staggered suddenly, a bloom of red beginning to spill from a clean hole in the mail of his chest, near the center of his breastbone. Whatever shouts he had been raising in his native tongue were immediately cut off by a cry of pain and he dropped to his knee's, removing him from the Kislevites sight.

But Nicoli saw the fluttering Winterscorn banner break through the front rank of men-at-arms as two heavily muscles Bondsmen cut a path for him with great, overhand swings from their axes that split flesh and leathers with equal ease. Bjorni suddenly found himself free of the press of battle. The rear flank of the halberdiers were exposed, while ahead the skald saw more and more men rushing towards them from all across the village. The number was astounding. Already, the reavers were outnumbered almost two to one. The mail-clad footman who had been rallying the defenders dropped to his knee's, a hand pressing over the bloody wound in his chest from the Kislevite's rifle shot. Sensing opportunity, Bjorni charged across the sandy docks and thrust his sword into the man's leg as he tried to scramble back from the oncoming skald. The blade slipped between the mail skirt and leathers, biting deep. Bjorni felt the edge of his blade glance against the bone of the man's thigh before suddenly tearing through the other side of his leg. With a sharp tug, Bjorni tore the blade free and the ruined flesh of the man's leg pumped blood freely.

A cry of alarm drew Bjorni's attention as a halberdier rushed forward to thrust forward with the point of his halberd in an effort to fend off the skald from the dying footman. The iron spike lanced for Bjorni, but the skald caught it easily on his shield and deflecting the blow. A cursory glance down told Bjorni that the footman was as good as done for. Between the blood flowing from his ruined leg and the hole in his chest, he was losing far too much far too fast.

Nearby, the skald saw Bodhi press towards the hold he had made in the line. She cut down another halberdier who tried to block her advance, and led a group of reavers through to the other side. Astrid was holding her own, though the halberdiers had the bondsmen around her tightly pressed.

The bell on the tower that Nicoli had been eyeing was still sounding, while the other archer atop was still firing arrows down into the melee. From his own vantage point, Nicoli saw a tall man clad in heavy armour, plates covered in a brightly coloured blue and white tabard that bore a golden cup or chalice upon his steel kite shield. He was galloping down a side path from the fort towards the village center and he led two others in heavy mail on their own destriers. Each held a wicked lance aloft, bright pennants whipping from the tips as they rode in. It seemed their purpose was to gather in the center of town and rally a second push of men-at-arms from there.

Morgul, Groktur, and Larus

When a bell began to ring down in the village near the docks at the tail end of the mourning cry of Bodhi's warhorn, many of the men who were loitering around the back of the fort began to talk rapidly amongst themselves. Most, if not all, had turned to find answers.

As Groktur led his ungors up the hill, Larus was astounded at just how silent the muscle-bound beasts could be. Morgul had followed them swiftly and silently, and moments before the beastmen struck, one of the archers sprouted a red-fletched arrow in the back of his shoulder from Eir's bow.

Then the tide of beastial flesh hit.

Morgul hacked into the flesh of the halberdier's arm, causing the halberd to dip dangerously low as he struggled to maintain his grip. The axe had hewed through his leathers and flesh, before lodging in the bone. Taking the moment of surprise for all it was worth, the bray-staff smashed the man's knee out from under him - splitting the bone into pieces - before smashing across the man's face, the tokens and charms hanging from the staff flensing flesh and muscle from his face even as his jaw tore free of its sockets. The halberdier barely managed a pained gurgle as his eyes rolled up in his head and he lolled to the side, twitching erratically.

The caprigor led his ungors into the small gathering of Bretonnian's around the campfire, his spear tearing into one of the halberdiers shoulders and opening a painfully deep gash along his flesh. The halberdiers and archers around him began to shout in panic, the sounds cut off swiftly as Lissakah and her sisters fell on them with a nimble flourish of serrated blades that sent sprays of arterial blood arching into the air with each precise movement. The ungors had fallen on their own targets with hacking axe blades and small, goring horns.

Larus was one of the last to move to attack, as he strode swiflty and purposefully up the hill after Morgul. He watched as the bray-shaman brutalized the halberdier, and as the other two archers began to call for help and draw the short, arming swords at their hips, Larus fell upon them. The tip of his blade thrust down and sunk deep into the archer's hip, just below the groin. It didn't tear all the way through, but the man cried out in frantic agony as his body went rigid from the length of metal in his flesh.

Egil

The group of reavers and bondsmen moved together, swift and low as they crossed the rugged approach to the town. Ahead, they saw the movements of the Bretonnian's down alleys and streets, and saw a choice target. A group of just under two score archers were gathering and lobbing volley after volley towards the docks. They were totally unaware of the Norscans creeping up behind them.

There was no raucous shouts from the band that had crept through the ravine, no glorious howls. As they followed Egil, they remained as deathly silent as possible until at last, when Egil broke into a run they followed.

A single archer seemed to catch the clanking sound of approaching armour, and turned a youthful face back to look over his shoulder. His eyes widened in horror, but he had barely been able to consider giving voice to his fears as a powerful stroke from Egil's greatsword struck him in the temple and sent him reeling, blood gushing from a deep head wound that took out his eye.

All around him, the others tore into the rear flank of the archers with abandon. Sigrun came in low, and with a hooked hand-axe took out the back of one man's knee. Hrodgar hammered his iron-banded shield into anothers throat and send him hurtling to the dirt. Enbjorn and Brand were making their own bloody work, while Ulf crept around the back and put an pair of arrows into one who was reaching for a warning horn on his belt. He'd almost had it upon his lips to blow.

Spoiler: Map, Round 2
    Show

Map Round 2

Whether it was noted on the initial rolls or not, I applied the +30% Surprise bonus to all attacks made from the ravine and forest team for the first round of combat. Nice opening salvo guys.

Feel free to make Intimidate/Charm/Command tests if you'd like to try and influence the NPC's across the course of battle.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

Morgul

Morgul brayed in triumph as the halberdier was bowled down in front of him. Spinning he glanced the dark elves and the fellow beasts falling on the camp fire and its paltry defenders in a tide of death as the metallic tang of man-blood filled the forest. Gesturing with the staff towards the the keep Morgul called to Groktur and Lissakah "Go keep. Bodhi, Skald and others need Red Bear to strike rear. Too many manlings for Red Song", any more calls were distracted as the archers closed upon him and Breathstealer. Morgul grinned as he launched a brutal series of attacks on the archer in front of him, staff, axes, shield and horns butting, chopping and battering the tiny human. His eyes however were focused on the village visible down the hill and the crowds of Bretonnians massing around the paltry few numbers of reavers.

Spoiler: Morgul
    Show

Am I right in thinking its Larus and myself vs a wounded archer and a healthy archer?

Swift all out attack
    (1d100)[61] TN 45+20 =65 Dam (2d10)[6][1](7)+4 [impact] 10 to right arm
    (1d100)[96] TN 45+20 =65 Dam (1d10+5)[15]
    (1d100)[2] TN 45+20 =65 Dam (2d10)[3][6](9)+4 [impact] 10 to right arm

Unsettling: -10% WS/BS until WP passed
    Last edited by DrK; 2018-10-17 at 07:03 AM.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

sigh Re: WHFRP 2e - The Winter Kings (IC)

Bjorni was awestruck by the kilevite's shot, before being drawn back to the battle as he almost rid the mail-coat commander from his leg.

He quickly turned around to meet the new challenger, keeping enough of a handle on the situation to notice Bodhi breaking through and send a word her way "we oughta flank right, we break them and the archers are free meat!" he raised his shield to maneuver another attack and pointed Bodhi towards the princess with his axe, clearing up his suggestion, before bringing it down on the halberdier.

Spoiler
    Show
    2x half actions: Aim and standard attack.
    (1d100)[69] TN 50 (40+10 aim)
    (1d10+3)[11]
    Parry: (1d100)[67] TN 40
    Could I use the charm from the last post if Bodhi needs convincing, didn't seem to do anything. [/roll]
    Last edited by neriractor; 2018-10-17 at 01:08 PM.