New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Graft-centric Character

Due to a discussion on another forum about a PC who lost an arm, I've been going through some of the rules on grafts.
    While a lot of them are prohibitively, even unreasonably expensive, there's a fair number of grafts that are reasonably economical, provided you can get your hands (or claws or tentacles) on the components.
    I think a character focused on making these permanent modifications to themselves and their party members would be flavorful and fun, is there a class that does particularly well with this strategy, while remaining a meaningful contributor to active adventuring?

I know Pale Master gets a number of grafts for free.
    What about Artificer? Does the class discount on time/money in crafting apply to grafts?
    Is there a way to bypass the racial requirements on some of these grafts, or would a character have to be some awful combination like fiendish half-aboleth half yuan-ti with illithid heritage to gain full access?
    For bonus points, if there's room to shoehorn the feat in, I think the Necrotic Tumor spells would complement this concept beautifully. Make the implantation of a tumor part of the bargain, or even put it in on the sly during the grafting process

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: Graft-centric Character

iirc, there are a few of the warforged grafts that don't actually require a "donor." They can simply be constructed and slapped on (arms and legs, I think, but I'm AFB, so I could be mistaken.)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Warchon View Post
    I think a character focused on making these permanent modifications to themselves and their party members would be flavorful and fun, is there a class that does particularly well with this strategy, while remaining a meaningful contributor to active adventuring?
    Fleshwarper (Lords of Madness) gives you access to grafts of various types, and also some XP as a Craft Reserve -- that reduces part of the expense, at least.

I know Pale Master gets a number of grafts for free.
    Ew, awful class.
    What about Artificer? Does the class discount on time/money in crafting apply to grafts?
    Grafts use the same rules as item creation, so you can pay for their XP with your Artificer Craft Reserve.

Is there a way to bypass the racial requirements on some of these grafts
    Fleshwarper ignores that prereq for all the new types granted by the class. I suspect it's exactly what you want.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Fleshwarper does indeed look completely ideal, and the graft reserve is pretty generous to boot.
    Gonna have to go diving into this one. :)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Fleshwarper does indeed look completely ideal, and the graft reserve is pretty generous to boot.
    Gonna have to go diving into this one. :)
    Here's one thread which was useful when I was looking at grafts: http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=12562.0

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Ask if your dm is okay with artificers taking obtain familiar. If so artificer into fleshwarper is incredibly fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    I feel like telling the ghost of Gary Gygax to hold your beer is a good way to suddenly stop being the GM, but I have to admit that this would probably be remarkably effective. At what, I dunno, but effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    I am continually astounded by how new you are here in contrast to how impressive your mind is.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Isn't there some sort of planar-binding demon/devil (Siribrex, IIRC???) that applies free grafts 3/day and is explicitly very happy to do so?
    Spoiler: List of Things You Don't Need To Know
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    killing and eating a bag of rats is probably kosher.
    Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Is there a way to bypass the racial requirements on some of these grafts, or would a character have to be some awful combination like fiendish half-aboleth half yuan-ti with illithid heritage to gain full access?
    I think changelings with racial emulation can get a buncha muncha cruncha grafts.

They can also arguably take warshaper super easily which combos with many grafts.
    Last edited by iTreeby; 2018-08-18 at 09:36 PM.