New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Candle Caster

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Candle Caster

With the interpretation that anything that would normally apply to scrolls or potions also applies to the candles you make that act as the scroll or candle.

Feat Tax by 12th level:
    Great Fortitude
    Brew Potion
    Magical Artisan
    Skill Focus
    Arcane Disciple

Would it be worth it to go Wizard 5/Candle Caster 5/Master Alchemist 10
    The goal here I think would be to be able to make potions of Extended double Buff spells for everyone in the party.
    Trouble is, I'm not sure if the trick is better than a War Weaver, and even then maybe the simpler route of just Incantatrix and some Metamagic Reducers.

I guess the main question I have from here is: Does it matter if all 4 party members are combat buffed? Or can you get by with summon monster and buffing 1 or 2 party members?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Candle Caster

It's kind-of sad, but a lot of the more flavorful ideas for PrCs came out early, but were horribly underpowered, mechanically, relying on already-weak subsets of mechanics or imposing limitations without actually broadening anything. Candle Caster is one such.

It needs a lot more to keep up even with basic wizard.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    It's kind-of sad, but a lot of the more flavorful ideas for PrCs came out early, but were horribly underpowered, mechanically, relying on already-weak subsets of mechanics or imposing limitations without actually broadening anything. Candle Caster is one such.

It needs a lot more to keep up even with basic wizard.
    I ran a 1 shot with a player interested in Candle caster, we just doubled up the levels so that it was 5 levels long and replaced the great fortitude pre req with any metamagic feat

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Dropping out at 5th means your candles never activate on the turn you light them- you never actually shrug off the weird penalty they build in. And second, you seem to be stopping right at the Dipped Candle stage. So you're making candles that activate a spell next turn, and then the second spell the turn after that. (Edit: I thought it sounded like someone was saying it was a 5 level class, but I misread).

If you went up to 9th, you'd be able to made candles that activate two spells, right now, at no extra cost. I thought people loved Quicken Spell even when it cost +4 levels and a swift action?

The combo presented doesn't seem all that useful to me. The massive delay on a dipped unfettered candle kinda defeats the point. And if your baseline of power is the War Weaaver's spell multiplication or the Incantatrix's anything, well yeah it's not gonna compare, nothing ever will.
    Last edited by Fizban; 2018-08-21 at 12:14 PM.
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    Dropping out at 5th means...
    I took it to mean that they took all the features of Candle Caster and stuffed them into only 5 levels. So they'd still get everything at only half the investment of time.
    The beatings will continue until morale improves!

Vaz approval for the best backstory. Villainous Competition 16: Burn Baby Burn
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...&postcount=114

Honorable Mention Villainous Competition 22: I Am The Night
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...e-Night!/page6 Xihu Ayame

Click my Vulpix to feed it yummy berries!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PrismCat21 View Post
    I took it to mean that they took all the features of Candle Caster and stuffed them into only 5 levels. So they'd still get everything at only half the investment of time.
    exactly. with the exception of spellcasting, all of the class features for levels one and two for candle caster get scrunched into level 1. 3&4 into level 2. 5&6 into level 3. etc. It's more balanced.

There are a number of prestige classes that become tolerable by half doubling them. Animal lord is downright passably playable with this. Most of the things in dragon compendium need this to be actually playable.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    exactly. with the exception of spellcasting, all of the class features for levels one and two for candle caster get scrunched into level 1. 3&4 into level 2. 5&6 into level 3. etc. It's more balanced.

There are a number of prestige classes that become tolerable by half doubling them. Animal lord is downright passably playable with this. Most of the things in dragon compendium need this to be actually playable.
    I'll have to look at Geomancer and see if that works for it, too. It might even become a theurge class at that point.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

This PrC actually seems like a decent buffer but I would say War Weaver is better IMO due to having no cost. However it does have quite a good offensive. If you can get Greater Arcane Fusion into your list or change from Wizard to Sorcerer you could cast 2 7th level spells and 2 4th level spells per round. That could also be quite decent for in combat buffing too.