New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: Girl Genius XXIV: Ask Vit a Bit More Terror

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Martellus' innovation is that his hound men can change back to loyal servitors.
    IIRC actually all he does is put them in some kind of armor that makes then look and sound normal. No physical change.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

2. - Top - End - #782

Now I'm trying to remember the story where the officer recites somebody's rap sheet, then refers to it as their qualifications for the job.

3. - Top - End - #783
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Now I'm trying to remember the story where the officer recites somebody's rap sheet, then refers to it as their qualifications for the job.
    Sounds like Vetinari talking to Moist in Going Postal.

4. - Top - End - #784

Or more likely someone trying to imitate Pratchett. Lord knows I've read enough of that stuff.

5. - Top - End - #785
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Now, that is interesting - Krosp was created after Klaus started working on Vapnoople's brain.

Dare I put forward the possibility that Vapnoople was faking it, well enough to fool Klaus, and that it is Vapnoople who is doing the killing?

True, we have Albia's word for the condition of his brain, but that might not stop him from being an effective killer.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Sounds vaguely like something from the early Stainless Steel Rat stories by Harry Harrison (in which case they probably wouldn't have been aping Pratchett).
    Last edited by Manga Shoggoth; 2018-11-16 at 04:04 PM.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

6. - Top - End - #786

Well, more likely it means Krosp was created at some point during the lobotomization process, so he's successfully bioengineered but apparently lacks many of the more monstrous traits.

7. - Top - End - #787
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

So how likely is it that Tobber, whose "nose" they found, is actually still alive and the nose was just a "throw them off my scent"?
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

8. - Top - End - #788

PirateCaptain

I've really got to wonder how he led the cetaceans against Albia without getting killed or captured. From what we've seen and heard, I get the impression that those who go into direct battle against her don't get away unless she wants them to.

9. - Top - End - #789

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    I've really got to wonder how he led the cetaceans against Albia without getting killed or captured. From what we've seen and heard, I get the impression that those who go into direct battle against her don't get away unless she wants them to.
    It is an indicator that he is really good. Also, they look like ancient sea monsters, that probably live up to whatever legends they have. And then Vapnoodle warped them, and made them worse.
    Last edited by Caerulea; 2018-11-16 at 04:26 PM.
    Non caerulea sum, Caerulea nomen meum est.
    Extended Signature.
    I'm not not a humanoid. Come not not be one too.
    Answer trivial questions in the OOTS trivia thread!

she/her

10. - Top - End - #790
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    So how likely is it that Tobber, whose "nose" they found, is actually still alive and the nose was just a "throw them off my scent"?
    Tobber is Professor Homnomium (though initially, that was spelled Homlomium, with an "l").
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2018-11-16 at 04:30 PM.

11. - Top - End - #791
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    He probably "led" from the rear. Like just outside the borders of france "to the rear"
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

12. - Top - End - #792

BlackDragon

So:
    1. What was supposed to be Tobber Honnium is just some meat.
    2. The two people that were investigating it are now dead
    3. Someone returned Tobber's notes, and a $10 that Tobber owed while the lights were out.

... That about right?
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

13. - Top - End - #793

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    So:
    1. What was supposed to be Tobber Honnium is just some meat.
    2. The two people that were investigating it are now dead
    3. Someone returned Tobber's notes, and a $10 that Tobber owed while the lights were out.

... That about right?
    Plus someone killed Smokes to get at and erase Tobber's blackboard notes, and someone (probably) killed Lord Bunstable via drink-tampering.

14. - Top - End - #794
    Titan in the Playground

And somebody plotting something against the queen is at large within the dome (or possibly just outside).
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

15. - Top - End - #795

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Caerulea View Post
    It is an indicator that he is really good. Also, they look like ancient sea monsters, that probably live up to whatever legends they have. And then Vapnoodle warped them, and made them worse.
    Worse? I think you mean "Improved"
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

16. - Top - End - #796
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Possibly Vapnoople survived the battle against Albia because her powers diminish as you move away from London?

Anyway, that's one seriously big whale - if that thing broached it'd create a tidal wave.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

17. - Top - End - #797

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by PraetorDragoon View Post
    Worse? I think you mean "Improved"
    Yes, of course. After all, what sort of person wouldn't want to improve the massive sea serpents under your command when invading a country (or in general, really. )
    Non caerulea sum, Caerulea nomen meum est.
    Extended Signature.
    I'm not not a humanoid. Come not not be one too.
    Answer trivial questions in the OOTS trivia thread!

she/her

18. - Top - End - #798

Quote Originally Posted by Caerulea View Post
    Yes, of course. After all, what sort of person wouldn't want to improve the massive sea serpents under your command when invading a country (or in general, really. )
    For the record, cetaceans are aquatic mammals, not serpents.

19. - Top - End - #799
    Dwarf in the Playground

Could somebody recap what's happened since they arrived in England? I lost track in the early stages, and haven't gone back to re-read.
    CAELUM NON ANIMUM MUTAT QUI TRANS MARE CURRIT

20. - Top - End - #800
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by T-Mick View Post
    Could somebody recap what's happened since they arrived in England? I lost track in the early stages, and haven't gone back to re-read.
    The usual sort of death and destruction. Uncle Tik-Tock is dead, but Madwa probably isn't. The Queen has developed a passion for Agatha and is planning to keep her in England, more fool her. Towards this end she's trying to pair Gil off with Trelawney, but he's more interested in mirrors. Tarvek and Higgs have reached an understanding. There are more conspiracies and plots and subplots going on than you can shake a very big stick at, none of which we understand at the moment. And Bang has gotten religion and left the Empire's employ to become a minister.

OK, that last one may be a BIT off...

(I wonder when we're going to be re-introduced to Master Payne's Circus? Hopefully they're all doing well...)

21. - Top - End - #801
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    The usual sort of death and destruction. Uncle Tik-Tock is dead, but Madwa probably isn't. The Queen has developed a passion for Agatha and is planning to keep her in England, more fool her. Towards this end she's trying to pair Gil off with Trelawney, but he's more interested in mirrors. Tarvek and Higgs have reached an understanding. There are more conspiracies and plots and subplots going on than you can shake a very big stick at, none of which we understand at the moment. And Bang has gotten religion and left the Empire's employ to become a minister.

OK, that last one may be a BIT off...

(I wonder when we're going to be re-introduced to Master Payne's Circus? Hopefully they're all doing well...)
    You know the answer to that - at the worst possible moment.

22. - Top - End - #802

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    It occurs to me that both the Boilerghast and Master Payne are experts in misdirection who have an interest in helping Agatha and a desire to hide their involvement. And he is a spark...

23. - Top - End - #803
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Not a bad idea. But Payne was smarter than this. He was trying hard to stay out of the spotlight and sparky business. Being put in Albia's lab runs counter to all this. And he wouldn't have been dumb enough to loose his nose.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

24. - Top - End - #804

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Not a bad idea. But Payne was smarter than this. He was trying hard to stay out of the spotlight and sparky business. Being put in Albia's lab runs counter to all this. And he wouldn't have been dumb enough to loose his nose.
    I thought Payne's plan was to be in the spotlight so he can stay out of the spotlight?
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

25. - Top - End - #805
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    The situation has changed a lot since we've last seen him. For the worst. I can see him bringing his circus to England in search of a haven of stability and ending up on Albia's radar, somehow.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

26. - Top - End - #806

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    The situation has changed a lot since we've last seen him. For the worst. I can see him bringing his circus to England in search of a haven of stability and ending up on Albia's radar, somehow.
    Obviously the piemaster published his seminal work dissing Brilat Sevarin and attracted Albia's attention.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

27. - Top - End - #807

During her conversation with Agatha, Albia mentioned her "amusingly clever Circus friends", so unsurprisingly she's at least aware they exist, and has probably interacted with them personally.

28. - Top - End - #808
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

"Papa" is probably safe so long as the bears are there (unless I'm tempting fate/the Foglios by saying that).

Although they haven't interacted too much, I can see why the bears and Jagers seem to get along (although the Jagers are funnier when they ignore someone who didn't have a right to give them orders and "accidentally" tear open walls. But, they've had centuries to work on comedic timing).

29. - Top - End - #809

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    "Papa" is probably safe so long as the bears are there (unless I'm tempting fate/the Foglios by saying that).

Although they haven't interacted too much, I can see why the bears and Jagers seem to get along (although the Jagers are funnier when they ignore someone who didn't have a right to give them orders and "accidentally" tear open walls. But, they've had centuries to work on comedic timing).
    Actually, the Bears were contemptuous towards Dimo, and were even going to eat him, until they noticed their Leader's scent on his hat.

30. - Top - End - #810

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post

I think it is heavily implied that the power of the Heterodynes came not from their strong sparks, but from the devotion they inspired in their town and minions. Largely that devotion was inspired by recognizing that destructive testing on minions and townsfolk resulted in shortages of both. Then again, they had some odd definitions of protecting the town.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.