06#xxxxxxxxxxxXXXXXXX=======....====#06
    05#xxxxxxxxxxxxx...XX=======...X====#05
    04#xxxxxxxxxxxxxx...XXXXXXXX...XXXXX#04
    03#xxxxxxxxxx.........XXXX.S.....XXX#03
    02#xxxxxxxxxxx.............JS.......#02
    01###################################01
    ##00000000011111111112222222222333333##
    ##12345678901234567890123456789012345##

The guards just have time to draw their swords before Jondar's attacks hit the unaware man on the left. Hard. He hisses in suppressed agony from the heavy burns he receives and just barely maanges to dodge Blaze's ray. The right man just wants to grab his shield when Blaze's other ray hits him. He screams in rage and looks for the origin of the magic, but attacks Jondar when he sees what he has done to his comrad.

Both of them are still to shaken to hit effectively, though, and Jondar's armor protects him from the weak blows.

At the other entrance the Kolyarut just says "Now" before rushing forward, hitting the Archer with ease.
    "Characters can gain no benefit from carrying a sack of rats in hopes of healing their allies by hitting the rats."
    - 4th Edition Dungeon Master's Guide

3. - Top - End - #123
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Winding Roads

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative:(1d20+10)(d20+12)[31]

HP:77

AC:27

Saving Throws:Fortitude:+11 Reflex:+8 Will:+2

[ooc] How's the first guard looking? He's been hit twice by me and once by Blaze, Does he look hale and hearty, on his last legs, preparing to look death in the face? If he looks played out I will switch my attack to the second guard. If he still looks tough enough I'll smack him again - I'm trying not to kill people.[/ooc]

First attack
    Attack guard (depending upon above answer) attack (d20+12)[31] damage (d8+6)[8] flame (4d6)[18]

Attack same guard attack (d20+7)[22] damage (d8+6)[10] flame (4d6)[16]

If either guard goes down I will switch my attack to the other. If both go down and I still have an action I will do a scorching ray at the archer.
    Jondar in Winding Roads

4. - Top - End - #124
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ah, I forgot the description. Had to write the last post twice because of a forum error, that's why a description of the men is missing.

-----------------------------------------------------
    GAME PAUSED

see OOC Thread
    -----------------------------------------------------
    "Characters can gain no benefit from carrying a sack of rats in hopes of healing their allies by hitting the rats."

5. - Top - End - #125
    Dwarf in the Playground

------------
    RESTART
    ------------

The evening was cool, countless tiny drops of rain reflected the red light of the setting sun. The rain helped settle the dust on the long road that came from somewhere behind the hills and vanished again between dense forests. But that evening the road wasn't on your mind. It had been driven out of it by the mouth-watering smell of roasted deer, by the sweet sound of chattering, and by the warm light that was shed out onto the wooden statue of Rojenica, in the form of a young halfling lass, which was the sole sign that marked the place as a shrine for those far away from home. But before really looking at the statue, you attention was drawn back to the inn, a place of rest for your restless soul. At least for a single night.

(This should be the only post which is exactly equal to the first attempt)
    Last edited by Cogito; 2007-12-11 at 01:30 PM.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Orc in the Playground

Jondar stomped out of the nearby forest, slapping at the biteme's that were coming out at dusk. After several metres striding towards the road most of the biteme's gave up and Jondar stood looking towards an inn that sat at the crossroads. He reached into his pack and pulled out his last orange, bit into the skin, spitting out the bitter taste and began to peel it whilst watching the road and inn.

"What the hell am I doing here?" he asked himself. "Jondar you are a fool, an utter fool. Of course that map was no good. I should go back to the City of Gold and teach that filthy cheat a lesson." he muttered to himself.

Jondar bit into the sweet fruit, sucking at the juice so as not to leave a sticky residue on his chin. He thought about the day he'd found the map and lost himself in reverie for a moment.

[ooc] Insert flashback scene [/ooc]

Jondar stretched luxusiously against his pillows, and rolled over to unfortunately get a perfumed mass of long brunette hair in his face. He woke suddenly and smiled slipping an arm around her waist when the girl suddenly woke.
    "What time is it?" she squealed looking at the light streaming in the open window.

Jondar glanced at the window and sniffed the air. "Well judging by the angle of the light and smell from the bakery downstairs I'd say two hours past dawn, milady."

The Lady Bretienne Du Chavney looked mortified and leapt out of the bed pushing back the bed curtains and fleeing into the main room to dress. Jondar enjoyed the flash of her curves as she left and smiled as she rapidly pulled on her dress. "My father returns today Jondar and he will be less than impressed with my visits here should he find out. "

Jondar grinned, "Yes milady, but I know you and the discovery by your father that you have been bedding a commoner would merely add to the excitement of our encounters. This is part of the reason why you were attracted to me. I'm not afraid of the reputation of your family, and my skills with the blade can generally keep me out-of-trouble."

Bretienne laughed and sat to put on her shoes, "And I love a man who is confident." she said with a twinkle in her eyes and a toss of her hair.

After the lady had left, Jondar had dressed and walked downstairs to get breakfast from the bakery. He had an arrangement with the baker that he could use the ovens every couple of months to regenerate in, but it would have been a worthwhile residence anyway merely for the sumptious smells that he awoke to each morning.

Jondar stepped into the shop, hearing the bell chime Haran looked up from his last customer and grinned, "Was that the Du Chavney crest I saw tear off like a nightmare was on it's tail this morning lad?"

Jondar grinned and touched his finger to nose in the universal gesture, "Ah Haran, you know a Gentleman never tells." he replied snagging a bun and tossing a couple of silvers on the counter.

Haran chuckled, "You don't need to tell Jondar, You've been having your way with half the noble daughters in the city for years. If you weren't so feared with the blade, you'd have a knife between your shoulder blades years ago. So which daughter tonight?"

Jondar smiled, "Actually no one springs to mind tonight," He responded, "Tonight is for cards, playing for gold with the spoiled dandies from the palace."

[ooc] End flashback now [/ooc]

He'd managed to win a sizable amount from the well dressed courtier when the ideal hand had come his way. He knew he couldn't lose and the courtier had fallen for the low initial bid to lead him on. When the map had been offered in place of the stake he'd been willing to accept it and won with his superior hand. Now he was wondering whether he'd won the hand too easily and it wasn't simply an excuse to get him out of the city for a while on a wild goose chase.

Jondar spat out a seed and looked once again at the inn here at the crossroads. It's just a point in the middle of the road you idiot. No one would set a trap for you here and that roasted deer is making my stomach growl. Sod it, I need a bath and a hot meal." he thought to himself and started crossing the meadow towards the inn.

"It's not like anything's going to happen in this flyspeck on the map." he thought to himself.

[ooc] I liked my first post last time sooo [/ooc]
    Jondar in Winding Roads

7. - Top - End - #127
    Dwarf in the Playground

((Yeah, I'm just going to enter the same way as before, but change things up accordingly from it, there are some missing members mentioned in my post earlier....))

Blaze

Blaze walks into the Inn, completely unaware or ignoring everyone. He goes over to the wall where there seems to be less people than everywhere else, a golden scepter hanging from his belt, a head shaped like an eagles claw, the talons made of what looks like rubies, with a flame design running up the length of it, sits twinkling in the light. Ahh, I really hope that something..fun will happen here. A flash of a women, screaming as she backs away from someone unseen quickly enters and then exits Blaze's mind, as his eyes flash red for a moment. He quickly shuts his eyes and waits for the anger to subsise, only then re-opening them.

((I will be playing Blaze's 'evil' side more than last time, it's more fun. :) ))
    My Friends Novel
    My Characters:
    There are three kinds of people. Those who know math, and those who dont. - Unknown

8. - Top - End - #128
    Orc in the Playground

Pellus

Pellus, a lean young man with a jaunty goutee and raffish (think bed-head) hair is sitting at the table in the corner. Leaned against the table is a sword with a ribon tied around its handle. Nearby patrons of the inn have stopped surrepitously stealing looks, and are now openly staring, as he continues to pack away the food. "More wine, my good sir!" He bellows heartily. "And another plate of these excellent cold cuts!" He pauses, eyes sparkling. As the barmaid comes near, he leans forward, saying in a whisper "perhaps later, my good lady, I could tell you the story of the crow and the spider?" As she pours his wine he looks down her blouse with great appreciation, then meets her eyes with a wink. With gusto, he tucks into the renewed pile of food in front of him.

Briefly, his eyes meet those of Blaze. For a moment, you see past the humor in his eyes. Time seems to slow down, and a shiver goes down your spine. Old. Incredibly so. That is what his eyes say. Then, the humor is back, and you begin to doubt the feeling. This man cannot be more than 25, at the oldest.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Orc in the Playground

Jondar walks into the Inn, strolls up to the bar whilst removing his backpack and orders an ale before looking around the room at the patrons. He sees the young man packing away the food with gusto, and the strange one wearing the birdlike mask.

As the barman brings him his drink, Jondar leans companionably against the bar. So what news? I've been out of contact for a bit. he asks, tossing down a few coins to cover the drink.
    Jondar in Winding Roads

10. - Top - End - #130
    Dwarf in the Playground

The girl smiles politely and winks back, but as she leaves your table, she does it in a way more hasty than normal.

The barman quicly puts the coins away, and takes his time before he answers:
    "News, hm. I suppose the only interesting thing that happened in the area is a band of deserters from our dear neighbours. Group of high-ranking soldiers, enjoying their retirement stationed up in the north. Until they stopped bringing the collected taxes back to their superiors. They're hiding somewhere in the woods now, or so they say."

11. - Top - End - #131
    Orc in the Playground

Jondar chuckles darkly, "So a group of veterans decided to take their retirement early eh? That was naughty of them. Any reward been offered?" he asks, taking a swig of his ale.

As the barmaid passes, Jondar, grins hugely at her. "Get us a plate of that meat I smell roasting out the back will ya darlin'? The scent ain't half making me mouth water." he says handing over a few coins.
    Jondar in Winding Roads

12. - Top - End - #132
    Orc in the Playground

Pellus

Emptying his last plate, Pellus leans back in his chair. Delicious... Simply delicious. With a small wave, he attracts Jondar's attention I suggest you ask for the roast duck, it is simply divine. With obvious enjoyment, Pellus stretches, standing while slowly relaxing back from the stretch. Picking up his ale, he moves to the bar.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Orc in the Playground

Jondar shuffles backwards to make room, taking a good look at the man who steps up to the bar. "You have good hearing friend. To hear my comments over all this noise." he says waving a hand at the busy room. "You a local?" he asks in a doubtful kind of voice.
    Jondar in Winding Roads

14. - Top - End - #134
    Dwarf in the Playground

((I'll assume the shudder wasn't going down. Blaz'es back. :) ))

Blaze sees the human(?I'm assuming, I haven't seen you specify) look at him and shudder, and you can obviously see the enjoyment in his eyes as he walks over to him and the other man sitting at the bar.
    "Hello there young men."
    He looks directly in the mans eyes that he saw before, trying to get some reaction out of him.
    "I was wondering if either of you would like a round, on me."
    Maybe these two can give me some laughs when their drunk. He calls for the bartender,
    "Three of your best ales, for me and these two fellows over here."
    He hands over the doubled the required amount of gold,
    "And fill 'em up again when they're empty."
    Hehe, this should be good for a nice laugh.
    Last edited by iamkoolerthanu; 2007-12-16 at 07:00 PM.
    My Friends Novel
    My Characters:
    There are three kinds of people. Those who know math, and those who dont. - Unknown

15. - Top - End - #135
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    shiver was written as going down your spine, see OOC for my response, and Pellus appears to be human.

No. For a moment, his eyes loose some of their sparkle, going slightly distant... Not local. His eyes regain their sparkle, and he grins at Jondar. I'm actually doing a bit of a walkabout. I've been out of circulation for a while...
    Turning as Blaze approaches, he nods in thanks at the offered beer, and looks to the bartender I'll take brandy next, if you have an old one
    Last edited by Jael_Darkwood; 2007-12-16 at 07:54 PM.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Orc in the Playground

Jondar grins at the strangely dressed man with the mask. "Why thank-you. It's always a pleasure to meet a friendly man willing to buy the beers." He sticks out his hand first at Blaze, then at Pellus.

"Jondar, pleasure to meet you both." *Note Jondar will respond with the same amount of pressure in the handshake that you give. It's obvious however that he's capable of cracking walnuts with his bare hands.
    Jondar in Winding Roads

17. - Top - End - #137
    Orc in the Playground

Pellus. A pleasure to meet you.

He smiles, returning the handshake with only a second of hesitation. His hands are warm and covered in ridges of rough callous.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Dwarf in the Playground

Your orders are brought to the table after a few minutes by the barman himself. He takes an almost too long look at you before he answers Jondar's question from earlier: "No reward, I suppose they don't want civilians to mettle in military affairs. Though, if you're here for some good adventure and the odd piece of gold, I might have something for you."
    That said, he leaves to fill more mugs with ale.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Orc in the Playground

Jondar begins to eat the roasted meat at the bar, and once his immediate hunger is sated, gets the barmans attention once more ordering another round for the three. As the baarman comes over to deliver the drinks he says. "Well I just popped in for some food and drink. I've been running around in the woods for the last couple of weeks and needed some civilisation. I'm never adverse to some honest work and the chance to earn a gold or two. Speak more on what you need good sir."
    Jondar in Winding Roads

20. - Top - End - #140
    Dwarf in the Playground

Blaze shakes Jondars hand, then pulls it back and shakes it slightly when he thinks no-one is looking.
    Wow, better notget this guy mad without being a good distance away...
    As he gets his drink he takes only a sip, then just casually holds it in his hand. It is fairly obvious that he doesn't drink all that often, and when the next round came, he is only 1/4 done with his first cup. At the mention of an 'adventure', he seems to listen more closely, but seems once again quiet, like he was when he was by the wall.
    The woman backing away screams as a flash of fire is seen shooting towards a young boy of perhaps eight years old-
    Blaze shuts his eyes tightly and rubs his temple roughly.
    "Gah, these headaches..."
    My Friends Novel
    My Characters:

21. - Top - End - #141
    Orc in the Playground

Pellus

Pellus looks at Blaze for a moment, waiting for him to introduce himself. Then, shrugging slightly, he turns to listen to the Barkeep. "I might be interested in a little adventure!"
    Last edited by Jael_Darkwood; 2007-12-18 at 09:59 AM. Reason: changing talky color to blue

22. - Top - End - #142
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Ahh, an adventure, that sounds interesting..."
    He goes like he is about to introduce himself, and is inturupted by a drunken man with a scruffy black beard backing into him, making himdrop his beer. Blaze is lucky enough to only get a little on his shoes as he backs out of the way.
    Damn, these drunk bastards need to stop drinking for once, and realise what they are doing in the real world, not their stupid little fantasy blurs drinking gives you-
    The boy that the fire was thrown at dove out of the way just in time, just in time, 'get ahold of yourself', you could hear from the man that is closing down on the woman, the boy is hiding in a wooden basket now, 'get ahold of youself', he said again, 'but it would feel so good', and he unleashed a flame towards the woman-
    Blaze rubs his head again.
    "Geeze, these headaches" he says, as he reaches for his next beer, once again only taking a sip or twon, then rubbing his head roughly.
    My Friends Novel
    My Characters:

23. - Top - End - #143
    Orc in the Playground

Jondar looks at Blaze as he complains about the headaches. "I met a healer once who swore by willow bark tea." he says, "Never tried it myself though." He turns back to the barman, waiting for him to clear some of his customers and come speak to him.
    Jondar in Winding Roads

24. - Top - End - #144
    Orc in the Playground

Pellus

Waiting for the barkeep to say more, Pellus notices what is happening just as the black-bearded man backs into Blaze (whose name he still doesnt know:p). Smoothly, predicting the course of events as things start to happen, he catches the mug of beer just before it hits the ground, preventing it from spilling on Blaze's shoes. As Blaze rubs away his headache, Pellus grunts in sympathy. "Well, I have a friend who has always sworn by the remedial powers of alcohol.. here. Nary a drop spilled."

25. - Top - End - #145
    Dwarf in the Playground

What kind of being is this man in front of me?
    At Jondars comment, he says "No healer can fix me.", and hopes to be inturrupted by the barkeep before he has to explain more. "Alchohol can only bring pain."

((I know, I'm creating atmosphere for his character, you know, like how Jondar is all like, 'Adventure!' and Pellus is all like, 'Wisdom!', Blaze has to go, 'Mystery!' You know what I'm saying?))
    My Friends Novel
    My Characters:

26. - Top - End - #146
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Well, it does depend upon your views on honesty, but it would definitely be something to tell you grandchildren. But I suppose me talking won't help you much, so if you're interested in some good money and a worthy tale to tell, try room 12 upstairs."
    With that he puts three fresh mugs on your table and leaves again.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Ahh, room 12, well, I'm in no hurry."
    He decides not to drink his beer, but instead, just replace it with the fresh mug, and take one small sip, like he did with the rest. Then Blaze will either pull up a chair or sit down near Jondar and Pellus.
    My Friends Novel
    My Characters:

28. - Top - End - #148
    Orc in the Playground

Pellus

"Sounds... Interesting." Pellus sits for a minute, staring into his brandy glass while he swirls the liquid within. Coming to a decision, he tosses the contents of the glass down his throat, and stands. With a friendly nod to Jondar and Blaze, he heads upstairs.
    Spoiler
    Show
    hope you arent calling dibs on ALL the mystery blaze... lol. my char is all secretive about HIS abilities too... and in case it is in doubt, i am enroute to room 12.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Orc in the Playground

Seeing Pellus make the first move up the stairs, Jondar leaves his unfinished ale and follows making no effort to hide his actions.
    Jondar in Winding Roads

30. - Top - End - #150
    Dwarf in the Playground

As you knock on the door to room number 12, you hear a harsh male voice, almost to low to hear, say, "Enter"

The room looks like the other rooms of the inn, at least the part you can see in the half darkness. In the right corner opposite the door stands a hooded figure, a Longsword gleaming in his hand.

"Close the door behind you. If you wish you might draw your weapons as well."

Once the door is closed, the man lits a lamp at the bedside table and draws back his hood.
    "My name is Lukar Tallandro. I suppose you have heard the name before."
    The man's face is almost hidden behind his black tangle of hair and his beard. Only his dark brown eyes and the hooked nose are perfectly visible. There is not much more you can gather from his appearance, safe that he is wearing a full plate armor under his brownish cloak; the parts you can see of it look vaguely familiar.
    Last edited by Cogito; 2007-12-21 at 02:58 PM.