New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: [5e] Shackles of Blood

"Oh no, you aren't going anywhere!" Zilo utters out as he sees the patrolman trying to get away, lowering his rapier down to try and pierce his ankle.

Seeing the fog just infront of the door as the man tries to get away, he turns to Guro. "We'll have to go out ourselves soon enough, we'll need clear view for that!"

2. - Top - End - #272
    Orc in the Playground

Can I catch a few of the soldiers in my color spray? if not ill cast magic missile on the Capitan - shouting dodge this

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

There was a rule in nature: when the predator comes at you with gleaming claws and snapping teeth - you never show your back.

The girl that would be Ophine had learned that herself, long ago, when the Baleful One Eye had ran her down and clawed her flesh open - it had only been the intervention of Tesselia that had saved her life. This guardsman would have no such luck; once again her fangs sank into meat as she tried to leverage her superior mass to once again knock the man down.
    And the far stars cried, and the planets yearned;
    But no man may know, for she'll ne'er return.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Orc in the Playground

Miras mumbles a few words - "now look at these pretty lights - aren't they beautiful"
    Last edited by Xantin Rahl; 2019-01-14 at 01:50 PM.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

The blinding flash that emanates from Miras is too much for the patrolman in front of him to handle. He swings his sword a few times in retaliation, only to be shouted at by his companions to knock it off before he hits one of them instead. The other two manage to look away at the right moment, and dash around Miras, each of them carrying their crossbows in one hand while carrying a net together. They run behind Ferrin, and together, throw the net over him in an attempt to restrain the plucky rogue, though their armor makes it difficult to move quickly enough to catch Ferrin. Erlich, on the other hand, turns his attention to the wizard, recognizing the sight of magic and wanting to prevent his men from succumbing to it further. He strikes with the flat of his blade, a blow made with years of practice which sends the wizard to the ground as he falls into unconsciousness.

Spoiler: Crunch
    Show
    • Red Plume (I11) is blinded by Color Spray
    • Red Plume (J9) takes the Help Action
    • Red Plume (K9) throws a net at Ferrin and misses
    • Red Plume (L12) readies an action
    • Erlich attacks Miras; one hit (yes, even with the Lucky reroll) for 5 nonlethal slashing damage, one miss
    • Miras falls unconscious, and is stable

Initiative
    • Red Plume Patrol 3 - 20
    • Guro - 16 <-- We are now here
    • Red Plume Patrol 2 - 15
    • Ophine - 15
    • Ferrin - 11
    • Zilo - 10
    • Red Plume Patrol 1 - 9
    • Miras - 6

Last edited by WhismurWanders; 2019-01-14 at 04:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by fibericon View Post
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Firbolg in the Playground

Guro
    Level 3 Ranger | HP: 24/28 | AC: 18

Guro cries out in alarm as a monster wolf charges in the way he and Xilo had entered, Where did that come from?! It lashes out at the red plume accosting Xilo and lays the man low. A sword rings out against Guro's shell as the man he is fighting takes advantage of his distraction. Guro parries the follow-up swing and brings his axe to bear against the man.

Spoiler: Turn 4
    Show

Constitution Saving Throw (Fog Cloud) DC 10 - (1d20+2)[15]
    Action - Attack Red Plume (G14)
    Attack - (1d20+5)[24]
    Damage - (1d12+5)[17]

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

Guro's strike causes the patrolman to scream from the heavy injury. Though the battle in the first of the small ruined buildings is for the adventurers to win, the battle outside is clearly going in favor of the Red Plumes. The crossbowmen disappear into the fog cloud, dissuaded from attempting to help the last man inside, while the not-blinded sword-wielder lashes out at Ferrin during the distraction of the net-throw from his allies. The distraction is just enough for him to finally land two hits on the rogue, though he also swings with the flat of his blade, and strikes with his pommel whenever able to. It seems the Red Plumes aren't out for blood at the moment.

Show
    • Red Plumes move into the Fog Cloud and each readies an action
    • Red Plume (I11) is blind and takes the dodge action
    • Red Plume (K11) swings at Ferrin; two hits for 8 and 4 slashing damage.

Initiative
    • Guro - 16
    • Ophine - 15 <-- We are now here
    • Ferrin - 11
    • Zilo - 10
    • Red Plume Patrol 1 - 9
    • Miras - 6

This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ogre in the Playground

Red dripped from the mouth of the wolf-that-was-Ophine.

That said, the battle was going against them; if Ophine wanted to escape, she could currently do so easily, out of sight of the main group of foes. She would be able to return for her newly met comrades, perhaps.

As a wolf, she could not explain her plan. First she would need to kill this other guardsman.

She turned her lupine gaze to him and lunged.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Move 10ft North

Adv due to pack tactics
    (1d20+5)[23] or (1d20+5)[20]
    (2d6+3)[10] +DC13 str check

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground

Ophine's attack is more than enough to bring down the remaining Red Plume, who attempts to fend off fang, tooth, and claw with his sword, but the dire wolf's ferocity is too much.

Spoiler: He's Dead, Jim
    Show
    Initiative
    • Guro - 16
    • Ophine - 15
    • Ferrin - 11 <-- We are now here
    • Zilo - 10
    • Red Plume Patrol 1
    • Miras - 6

10. - Top - End - #280
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Zilo can't help but wince a bit at the utter brutality of the wolf-turned-Ophine as she gnawed her way through both armor and flesh. "Well... That settles that." He utters, looking outside once more now that both the patrolmen are dead- Still too foggy to see anything.

"Damn, can't tell if the other two are holding up out there. We'll have to help them!"
    Trying to think of what options they have to hopefully help, he takes a moment to look at the dire wolf infront of him, as an idea- possibly a silly one, is formed in his head.

"Okay, so..." The halfling says with a bit of hesitation. "If you are- Ophine... It may sound crazy, but can I ride you into combat? I'm not as fast a four legged wolf." Zilo mentions as he gets a couple of steps closer, ready to take a wide if Ophine allows him.

Show

Action: Using dodge.
    Movement: 5 feet to the left to get closer to Ophine- If she allows Zilo to ride her in wolf form (assuming this permission is granted while it is still his turn), he'll spend half his speed (12.5 feet) to mount the wolf.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

Ferrin quickly stows away his rapier and pulls a pack of ball bearings out of his pocket. He throws them out on the street and shouts. If you can't duel me properly, you need to catch me! as he darts away into the underbrush.

Spoiler
    Show
    Action:Use ball bearings on K9-L10
    Bonus Action: Disengage
    Move Action: Move to N10

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

The pair of Red Plumes who attempted to trap Ferrin with the net look a bit mystified at Ferrin's sudden unpacking of the spheres, and pause for a moment to look to their captain for orders. He shouts, "Well?!? AFTER HIM!!!" The two draw their swords and move to charge into the bush that Ferrin himself had moved into. One, however, slips on the well-placed ball bearings and falls, forced to shakily stand up in an attempt to try again. The other has the foresight to move around the ball bearings and crashes into the bushes, swinging his sword at the rogue, but only managing to hack at the vegetation around him instead. Frustrated at the apparent ineptitude of his subordinates, Erlich shouts to the other patrolmen as he takes a step forward right up to the egde of the fog, "Everyone else, fall in. We've still got that witch-wolf to deal with..." One of the crossbowmen from his patrol, previously hidden in the mists, follows the voice of his commanding officer to take a position next to the other swordsmen. He reaches into his pack to apply another dose of poison to his bolt, awaiting further orders and the approach of any enemies.

Show
    • Red Plume (K9) attempts to move through the ball bearings and is knocked prone, uses his remaining movement to stand back up
    • Red Plume (M9) attacks Ferrin twice and misses twice
    • Red Plume (L11) doses his crossbow
    • Erlich readies an action

Initiative
    • Ophine - 15
    • Ferrin - 11
    • Zilo - 10
    • Red Plume Patrol 1
    • Miras - 6

13. - Top - End - #283

Guro
    Level 3 Ranger | HP: 24/28 | AC: 18 | Concentrating: Fog Cloud

Guro looks at the wolf in light of Zilo's words, Ophine? A jungle-priestess... he murmurs. That is a good idea Zilo, the others need our help. I will leave the fog cloud out there for now, there is no telling where those crossbowmen got to. Guro stalks out the back of the dwelling, pulling a javelin out of a sling over his shell. As he reaches the corner of the house, he spots Miras. The wizard is lying motionless on the ground. Miras! he shouts, What did you do to him?! He can't see Ferrin through the fog but had heard his voice moments before. He throws a javelin at the nearest Red Plume, Ferrin, we are coming!

Spoiler: Turn 5
    Show
    Move to D13.
    Action - Attack Red Plume in I11
    Attack - (1d20+5)[17]
    Damage - (1d6+5)[6]

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

Guro's javelin catches the Red Plume who had just managed to clear his eyes of the blinding colors Miras had flashed in front of him before falling unconscious. The man grits his teeth and brings his sword up defensively as he and another of the Red Plumes move into position. Two crossbowmen take up positions behind them and fire their crossbows at Guro in retaliation, but the bolts either aren't hard enough or weren't aimed well enough to pierce Guro's shell. Erlich, chuckling a bit evilly at Guro's concern for the wizard, finally gives a blunt answer. "Don't worry, he's alive. He'll have a nice welt to remember me by, but he's in no real danger. As you can see, I've extended the courtesy of not killing you and your band multiple times, even if you insist on slaughtering my men. If you keep fighting, I'll be forced make you join him for a little nap."

Show
    • Guro's attack hits
    • Red Plumes (G11, G13) ready an action
    • Red Plumes (I12, H10) both shoot their crossbows at Guro; both miss

Initiative
    • Guro - 16
    • Ferrin - 11
    • Zilo - 10
    • Red Plume Patrol 1
    • Miras - 6

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

This is not worth dying for. Ferrin claims and exits.

Spoiler
    Show
    Double move to T10 and bonus action to hide. If it is difficult terrain and the woods I assume I can hide SOMEWHERE.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"Guro, take the fog down now! Lets go in!" Zilo gives the cue as he gets ready, trying his best to position himself properly on top of what is currently, a large dire wolf with no saddle for comforts.

Still, trying his best to not hold on to Ophine-turned-wolf's fur too much and cause needless pain, he adjusts his balance and weight on the beast, both shield and blade ready for engagement.

Show

No action, just having Zilo ICly give the verbal cue to take down the fog.

Also, good to know that you can turn off concentraion even when it is not your turn- Didn't know that!

17. - Top - End - #287

Guro
    Level 3 Ranger | HP: 24/28 | AC: 18

Ferrin! Guro calls out as the man slinks away. Guro hopes he is biding his time to attack when the opportunity arises, We will give you that opening, Guro thinks to himself.

Guro, take the fog down now! Lets go in! Guro hears Zilo's voice from back in the dwelling, and ceases to maintain the fog spell.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ogre in the Playground

Ophine growled, irritated at the request, but after an irritated huff knelt to let Zilo climb on. She swivelled her head to look at the little man sitting on her back before she howled and barrelled through the door, hoping that Zilo would be able to stay on - a wolf was not so well suited for riding as a horse.

The fog faded. The crossbowmen had gone, but Erlich - the enemy captain, the lynchpin-prey - was an available target. She forced her way through the doorway and lunged for the Red Plume, gore-flecked jaws gaping.

She hoped Ferrin was not available to see this.

Show

Yolo to J14

(1d20+5)[9] or (1d20+5)[13] to hit
    (2d6+3)[10] damage and the DC13 STR saving throw vs prone

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ogre in the Playground

The Red Plumes seem to simultaneously twitch as the fog cloud dissipates, leaving the dirt path clear and visible, even if some of the surrounding grassy edges have collected some dew from the sheer amount of moisture. Ophine's charge certainly snaps the two remaining patrols back to attention, and several start shouting for Erlich to get out of the way of the charging dire wolf and her halfling rider. The man narrows his eyes and doesn't move, doesn't even flinch as Ophine's snapping jaws don't manage to get a hold of him. He seems to 'catch' most of her weight on his sword arm before pushing her back in front of him, where he follows up with a quick stab of his sword, which easily pushes through her fur. The stab goes fairly deep, and Erlich remains stoic in the face of the two opponents he now faces, spitting on the ground in disdain as he brings his sword back up to a readied position. "Is that all you've got?"

Show
    • Ophine's attack misses
    • Erlich uses his reaction; critically hits Ophine for 9 slashing damage
    • Ferrin hides (roll for stealth)

Initiative
    • Guro - 16
    • Ophine - 15
    • Ferrin - 11
    • Zilo - 10 <-- We are now here
    • Red Plume Patrol 1
    • Miras - 6

Last edited by WhismurWanders; 2019-01-22 at 08:11 AM.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

*is hidden*

Spoiler
    Show
    Stealth: (1d20+7)[26]

21. - Top - End - #291
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Seeing the wound Elrich has inflicted on Ophine, Zilo adjusts himself on the dire wolf to so he'll be front-to-front with Elrich, rapier in hand, "We only just started!"

Unsure if he'll be able to reach Elrich with his short arms while riding the wolf, he'll instead try and opt for a more psychological damage.
    Attempting to do the same as he tried to do to the patrolman back in the building, he'll try and carve the letter "Z" with the tip of his rapier onto Elrich's cheek, hoping lady luck will lend him a hand in scaring their captain off.

Spoiler: OOC action
    Show

Attack action:
    Hit: (1d20+5)[14], damage: (1d8+5)[6]

If landed, using one superority dice for menacing attack: 13 wisdom saving throw to not be frightened, damage bonus: (1d8)[4]

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

Zilo's attack is easily parried by Erlich, who rallies his men with a shout as he lashes out again with his sword. Two more cuts start to bloody Ophine's fur; the man clearly isn't afraid of the oversized wolf if his strikes are landing this true and this harshly. Together with another soldier who also catches Ophine with a few swipes of his blade, the Red Plumes quickly seem to gain the upper hand over the wolf and her rider. In the confusion, a crossbow bolt flies past Zilo, all the movement of Ophine as she rages agains the heavily armored Red Plumes and Zilo's attempts to stay on top of her make aiming the shot far too difficult.

To the east of the battlefield, the one Red Plume who continued to chase after Ferrin pauses his chase long enough to stow his crossbow onto his back. He looks around and carefully looks around the edge of the forest, though his efforts are in vain. For all his searching, he just can't find Ferrin, who has much more practice hiding than the Red Plume seems to have in seeking. The man grips his sword in both hands, wary of any attempted ambush as he shouts. "C'mon now! Surrender yourself, if you care about your friends!"

Show
    • Zilo attacks Erlich; misses
    • Captain Erlich attacks Ophine twice; one hit for 6 slashing damage, one critical hit for 8 slashing damage
    • Red Plume (K12) attacks Ophine twice; one miss, one hit for 9 slashing damage
    • Red Plume (P8) takes the Search action to find Ferrin; fails
    • Red Plume (L11) fires a poisoned bolt at Zilo; misses

Initiative
    • Ophine - 15
    • Ferrin - 11
    • Zilo - 10
    • Red Plume Patrol 1
    • Miras - 6

23. - Top - End - #293

Guro
    Level 3 Ranger | HP: 24/28 | AC: 18 | Concentrating: Hunter's Mark

Guro grimaces as he sees the captain and his red plumes strike the large wolf. The creature changes shape to reveal Ophine's true form. The jungle priestess does not look too harmed. I must do the same, Guro thinks, and take on the aspect a hunter. Guro feels the Hunter well up and manifest itself over him. He narrows his eyes at the nearest man, marking him as his Prey, and throws another javelin, Release the Tinfellows!

Spoiler: Turn 6
    Show
    Bonus Action - Cast Hunter's Mark, targeting the Red Plume in G13
    Action - Attack Red Plume in G13
    Attack - (1d20+5)[21]
    Damage - (1d6+5)[10] and (1d6)[6]
    Move - Move to F18

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

Guro's javelin pierces the Red Plume's armor, and almost sends him to his knees. He grits his teeth and roars to keep the pain down, but it's quite obvious to anyone watching the battle that the man is barely standing. Erlich curses at the retreating Tortle, but orders his subordinates to surround Ophine and bring her down. The Red Plumes all swarm around the druid and the halfling next to her, and unleash a flurry of slashing metal. The sudden coordination is simply overwhelming, and even despite her best efforts, several cuts and slashes manage to find openings and opportunities.

Show
    • Patrol 2 surrounds and attacks Ophine; 3 hits for 12 total slashing damage, one critical hit for 4 slashing damage

Initiative
    • Guro - 16
    • Ferrin - 11
    • Zilo - 10
    • Red Plume Patrol 1
    • Miras - 6

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

The Oak-Crowned's form shivered and reverted to human, and much like - ironically - a pack of wolves, the Red Plumes were on her, slashing against her unarmoured flesh. She lifted her arms to shield herself, feeling her limbs weaken under the assault. The druidess bared her teeth in anger as the pain mounted.

She was going to lose. The thought of being captured turned her stomach, far more than the thought of death.

She slammed her staff into the ground, a pulse of magic sending up a spray of blinding dust. By the time they'd blinked it out of their eyes, she was out and past them . As she ran, she rippled and changed, going from two legs to four without a hitch in her step.

Show

Ophine decides to cheese it:
    She takes the disengage action
    Moves to I15
    Wildshapes as a bonus action into a dire wolf and flee south as far as possible along the road

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

Shooting the guardsman that is looking for Ferrin, the human then tries to hide himself again. I can't get caught. The rogue hopes Erlich captures the rest without killing them, but he hopes his sadism gets the best of him, so Ferrin assumes executions are unlikely.

Spoiler
    Show
    ranged attack with advantage: (1d20+5)[11]|(1d20+5)[12]
    Damage: (1d8+3)[8] Sneak Attack (2d6)[6]
    Spoiler: Crit
    Show
    Damage: (1d8+3)[10]Sneak Attack(2d6)[5]

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

Ferrin hides again, and moves further south.

Spoiler
    Show
    Stealth: (1d20+7)[25]
    Move to S13

28. - Top - End - #298
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

As Ophine reverted back into her human form, the halfling rider falls to the ground and on his knees, and only with a quick bounce Zilo is able to step back again before the next flurry of swords and bolts.
    The situation only seems to grow worse and worse as they begin to get surrounded, Zilo raises his shield back up moments before seeing Ophine trying to make her escape, protecting his eyes with his shield as she sent a spray of dust into the nearby vicinity.

Watching, as she turned back into a wolf in an attempt to gain some distance, he wasn't sure if it was an attempt to get into a more favorable position- Or to just plain run.
    Whatever that decision was however, now is not the time ponder on it!
    Hoping that Ophine's quick run-away was enough of a distraction for them, he'll attempt to try and strike Elrich once more with his rapier, with full intention to maim him if he'll be accurate enough with his blade- He may not be able to run away like Ophine, or even win the bout, but he sure as hell ain't going to go down without giving them something to remember him by!

Show

Attack action on Elrich (Please, PLEASE hit!)
    (1d20+5)[18] Hit, damage: (1d8+5)[7]
    If the hit lands, going to menacing attack: (1d8)[8] damage, 13 wisdom saving throw to not be frightened.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

Perhaps it's the dim light, perhaps it's the concern for Miras that's gnawing at the back of Ferrin's mind, but the crossbow bolt misses its intended target, who turns to face Ferrin as the rogue flits between bush and branch to get a new hiding spot. The Red Plume narrows his eyes as he cautiously attempts to follow Ferrin's steps, searching again through the dark forest, though to no avail.

In the tumult on the road, Ophine manages to escape the Red Plumes circling around her, and as the wolf re-appears, the Red Plumes curse in frustration and hurl a few clumps of dirt in her direction. Unfortunately for Zilo, with Ophine gone, their flurry of blades now turn to him. His rapier manages to strike the captain in the hand, and for the first time in the course of the battle, you notice him struggle to comprehend that he can be wounded at all. The gash on his hand, however, doesn't seem to dissuade him from continuing, and he retaliates with two strikes against Zilo, one of which manages to get past shield and armor. Several swings from other Red Plumes follow, mostly savage swings with the flat of their blades as they pummel the halfling into unconsciousness.

Erlich, still eager to not let the rest of his quarry escape him, charges down the road behind Ophine as several of the Red Plumes start reaching for their crossbows again. The other patrol which was close to him looks with admonishment at their fearless leader, and prepares to give chase as well, even if they aren't as quick as Ophine.

Show
    • Ferrin's attack misses
    • Ophine is back to being Dire Ophine
    • Zilo's attack hits for 15 piercing damage, but Erlich makes his save against the fear effect.
    • Captain Erlich hits Zilo once for 10 slashing damage
    • Red Plume (K12) misses Zilo
    • Red Plume (L13) hits Zilo twice for 13 nonlethal damage; Zilo is unconscious at 0 hp, but stable
    • Erlich moves to I18
    • Red Plume (R10) searches for Ferrin and fails

Initiative
    • Ophine - 15
    • Ferrin - 11
    • Zilo - 10
    • Red Plume Patrol 1
    • Miras - 6

Last edited by WhismurWanders; 2019-01-27 at 12:52 PM.

30. - Top - End - #300

Guro
    Level 3 Ranger | HP: 24/28 | AC: 18 | Concentrating: Hunter's Mark

Guro doesn't hear the Red Plume give chase after him, and instead hears a commotion on the other side. He cuts through the trees and is surprised to see Captain Elrich standing before him. Ophine is to his right, still in her wolf form. A distance away and to his left, Zilo's still form is on the ground, surrounded by the Red Plumes. Guro draws another javelin and throws it at his Prey, who is looming over Zilo. He locks eyes with Elrich, There are some hunters not even the pack can claim, and retreats out of sight back into the bushes and trees.

Spoiler: Turn 7
    Show

Move to G-19
    Action - Attack Red Plume in K-14
    Attack w/Advantage (use Inspiration) - (1d20+5)[25], (1d20+5)[17]
    Damage - (1d6+5)[6] and (1d6)[1]
    Move to D-20