New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [5e] Shackles of Blood

Guro's javelin finishes off the man he had injured previously, years of practiced throws and the instinct of the hunter guiding the missile to a weak spot in the Red Plume armor. Determined to follow their captain and avenge their fallen friend, three Red Plumes run up to assist Erlich, forming a clear battle line abreast of him, swords at the ready in case Ophine or Guro decides to turn around and retaliate.

Spoiler: Crunch
    Show
    • Guro kills the Red Plume
    • Patrol 2 moves and readies an action.

Initiative
    • Red Plume Patrol 3 - 20
    • Guro - 16
    • Red Plume Patrol 2 - 15
    • Ophine - 15 <-- We are now here
    • Ferrin - 11
    • Zilo - 10
    • Red Plume Patrol 1
    • Miras - 6
    Quote Originally Posted by fibericon View Post
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Ogre in the Playground

Guro, Ferrin, Ophine

Eager to put a bit of distance between yourselves and the Red Plumes, you disappear into the woods, and eventually you hear no sounds of pursuit as the buildings vanish from view. The battle was hard-fought, and even though you were forced to leave two of your companions behind, you manage to get away without taking any further damage. Deriel is nowhere to be seen, and even though you run past the building that she claimed the Tinfellows had been kept in, there is no sign of them.

Miras, Zilo

The two of you wake up much later, beaten and bruised from the encounter previously. You both have been stripped of all your weapons and armor, and though both of you have been bound at the wrist, Miras has several knots around each of his fingers, and he has also been gagged, a common precaution when dealing with spellcasters. As you each look around, you notice that you have been placed inside a cage set up on top of a wagon in a chain of three. While the two of you are the only occupants of your cage, the cage-cart ahead of you is filled with halfling who notice the two of you waking up. An older male among them makes for motions for you two to remain quiet, pointing at the Red Plumes outside. Several of them can be seen around the camp they have erected here, all familiar faces from the previous combat. In the center of the camp is a large cauldron bubbling over a campfire, and a figure in a dark hooded cloak standing over it is stirring its contents. Captain Erlich can be seen conversing with this individual, though neither of you can make out what he is saying.
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Titan in the Playground

Once he feels safe enough, Ferrin collapses on the ground. Regardless of Ophine's looks, he knows she is hurt and needs a break. Guro took some damage too. You two take a breather, I will try to keep and eye out for disaster. That damn elf witch. I knew I could not trust her, and still I did. How do we proceed from here? I say we find the prisoners and bail them out again. Once they reach Hillsfar, things complicate a fair bit. We need to be subtle, and we may have just the right team for that.

Ferrin sits a bit and waits for approval, then continues. I assume Guro can find their trail, maybe Ophine can pick up on their scent. I will deal with Deriel to prevent her from ratting us out. Besides I have a bone to pick with her.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

After Zilo woke up, the very first feeling he felt were from all the bruises and cuts he received during his engagement with the red plumes. The beatings from their blades before passing out are still sore and hurt as he moves, and blade cut on his back is not going to get better any time soon while he is stuck inside this cage.

Testing just a bit to see if the bindings on his wrists, to see how far he can move his hands, and ifare weak enough to possibly break through. Then, he'll scan the area around him, seeing both Misas in an even worse situation than him, as well as the other halflings caged in. Taking the warning from the halfling in mind, he opts to remind quiet for now, but he will attempt to do at least one thing:

Ssince they stripped him of his armor, the chances are low, but maybe, just maybe... His gold coin of Tymora is still inside his boot?
    Playing around with his feet, he'll try to see if he can feel the gold coin inside his boot, and if not? Zilo would even try to take off the boot with his other foot, just to see if the coin is still there.

'I better not lose that coin, especially not to them!'

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ogre in the Playground

Ophine released her form-of-wolf, fur retracting and fangs receding. The druidess let out a pained hiss from behind her mask as she sat down.
    "I, too, felt there was something wrong. And yet... pah." She spat out her words bitterly. "We were the prey there, walking into the spider's web with eyes half-shut."

She frowns as Ferrin speaks of his plan.
    "To weave the shape of beast around myself is no simple matter, and it will take some time before I can do it again - a time of quiet communion, with little disturbance."
    She rolled her staff in her fingers.
    "An hour will suffice for that. I still have my other magics, but without such rest you will find my nose no keener than any other mortals'."
    Last edited by Awful; 2019-01-29 at 02:13 PM.
    And the far stars cried, and the planets yearned;
    But no man may know, for she'll ne'er return.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Titan in the Playground

Actually I have heard my friend Kiru talk about how his friend from the forest prefers to stay in this primal shape almost all day. Yet he did not describe a wolf as impressive as you just conjured. But you should rest regardless. Our numbers are diminished, we cannot run into their camp exhausted. He turns to the turtle. How are you, Guro?

Spoiler
    Show
    Wild Shape is a short rest based thing according to: https://dnd5e.fandom.com/wiki/Druid#Wild_Shape
    Last edited by Spore; 2019-01-29 at 06:37 AM.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Firbolg in the Playground

Guro
    Level 3 Ranger | HP: 24/28 | AC: 18

I am... I don't know. I have never met a group like this. Where I am from, we compete for food and shelter. We come together when it is possible. But why do they hate everyone that isn't a human? What is the sense in this?

His gaze turns to the canopy, We left Miras and Zilo back there. How will we win them back if we are fewer then before?

Spoiler: Question
    Show
    What can we do during a short rest? Guro is only missing 4hp (and his spells recharge on long rest).

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ogre in the Playground

"I merely borrow the skin of beasts, and must return them soon enough. With time and practice, I will be able to hold the weave longer."
    She turned her gaze on Guro.
    "It will not be easy. Perhaps we can recover our companions, or target that captain. We will have to use cunning.

As for why they hate... well, that is simple. It is common in nature and civilisation both; that which is not you is the enemy.
    This world has had plenty of blood split between different races. Wolves will hunt the cubs of bears, and slay them in the den."
    The Oak-Crowned shrugged as she began to poke at her wounds.
    "I do not agree. But I understand where their fear comes from."

9. - Top - End - #309
    Orc in the Playground

Miras wakes up feeling all the pain, he checks how much he can move, being quite should not be a problem with the gag

10. - Top - End - #310
    Titan in the Playground

If you do not form tribes, I can see the confusion. Basically the Lord lies about all halflings being bad, he divides the people so that they won't get the necessary numbers to revolt against him exploiting them. Hillsfar is rich from the trade, and the Lord wants the money for himself.

Ferrin stretches his legs for a bit, then continues: I do not know, but we may find an advantageous position, Guro. A head-on fight is not ideal, the guards are well trained. After all, my position barred me from being effective, meanwhile you bested three or four of Erlich's men. And Ophine, you took more hits than four men combined. Consider me impressed. Now let's see if you can't use your primal magic to locate the Red Plumes.

Spoiler
    Show
    Did Guro concentrate on a Hunter's Mark during fleeing? If so you can track the target back. If you are a revised ranger, you can concentrate for a minute to find any humanoid in a 5 mile radius. As for druid skills, I am at a loss though I assume giving Guro advantage on Wisdom checks (Survival) via Enhance Ability isn't the worst idea, though we might need the spell as a buff for combat.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ogre in the Playground

Ophine nodded.
    "It would not be impossible to improve your tracking abilities, Guro - the ways of beasts are wily, and for a while they can be yours. It would not be a transformation. Merely an enhancement."

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ogre in the Playground

Miras, Zilo

The elder halfling from the other cart waits a few moments while Erlich speaks with the hooded figure. When the captain finally finishes his private discussion, he retires to a larger tent close the fire, which is flanked by two other Red Plumes who salute as he pushes through the flaps. The other Red Plumes around seem mostly relaxed; several have gathered around a large table where maps and materials have been spread out. Most of them are checking their gear and equipment and making minor adjustments or repairs. With the coast mostly clear, he quietly raps against the bars of his own wagon and looks at Zilo. He adresses him with a low, hushed voice, "You there ... you're one of the Neverfalls, ain'tcha? Holern and Zihaly's boy? Don't tell me they've gotten caught up in this mess too..."

Spoiler: New Map!
    Show
    'Red Plume Camp' has been added to the google sheet
    Last edited by WhismurWanders; 2019-01-31 at 09:55 AM.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Zilo darts his head up to the mention of his parents, the feeling of surprise subsides as he remembers that his family is an acquintance to the tinfellows.

"My parents? ... No, don't worry." He says, can't help but chuckling a bit. "That blunder of a mess was done by me only, jumped into the water and it turned out they were deeper than I thought."
    Trying to look through the darkness to try and see how roughen up and tied the tinfellows up, he takes this brief moment of the red plumes not distrubing them to inquire his own question:
    "What happened? When we came, we saw the village in ruins, and other humans claiming that village as if it was their own."

14. - Top - End - #314

Guro
    Level 3 Ranger | HP: 24/28 | AC: 18

They are a large group, and armored. I do not think we will have much difficulty tracking them. I didn't see any signs of the Tinfellows, and the buildings were in disrepair. It is likely they are not staying there.

Their captain... he seemed intent not killing Miras. What do you think he has in mind?

Spoiler: Short Rest
    Show
    Spend a Hit Die - (1d10+2)[9]

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ogre in the Playground

Zilo, Miras

The halfling casts a gaze towards the Red Plumes, making sure no one will interfere while he speaks. A small halfling boy, perhaps 7 or 8 years old, crawls up into his lap, and the older halfling looks down at him and keeps him steady as he answers Zilo's question, eyes tearing up slightly in the process. "Must've been ... a ten-day ago. We were minding our own business, as always. Herdin' the sheep, makin' sure the wheat was growing nice and proper. The kids were playing outside... Then the patrols show up. Demanded we up an' follow them, somethin' about not payin' our proper taxes." His eyes narrow in anger. "We may be simple farmers and herdsmen, but we always pay our dues. Flat up told the Red Plumes there was a mistake, we were settled up and paid. Then that big one, the captain, came up on his horse asking what the problem was. Didn't even get a chance to tell him before he starts shoutin', giving orders to burn the farmhouses." The surrounding halflings begin to tear up and shudder from fright as well at the memories of that night.

"Well, it didn't take long for the houses to burn. T'was madness. Tryin' to get everyone out of the houses, doing what we could to fight back, Red Plumes swoopin' in on horseback or on foot and snatchin' whoever they could get their hands on ... a few boys ran down towards Widow Miller's, never heard from 'em again. They rounded us up eventually, and marched us through the forest. Heard the captain sayin' we deserved much worse for protectin' ourselves..." He pauses and takes a deep breath to steady himself. "Anyways, we got marched into this wagon, and that's where we've been since then. They make sure to feed us and give us water, but it ain't much." He moves his pupils to indicate the hooded figure by the fire. "If I had to reckon, that fella there is the one behind all this. Erlich spends most of his time talkin' to 'im, but I don't think they like each other much. The hood doesn't move much, always stays close to camp. This mornin' all the soldiers up and left, we thought maybe they were tired of whatever it was they were waitin' for. They came back carryin' you two like two sacks of potatoes."
    Last edited by WhismurWanders; 2019-01-31 at 04:17 PM.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"Rack of sack potatoes? That sounds about right..." Zilo can't help but agree, still feeling the pain from the brawl earlier. No matter how he'll dice it, they have lost outright...

Having listened to the story from the tinfellow, everything seems to add up, to Zilo's frustraion and anger at the sheer lack of ability and option they have been given in this situation, his hands closing to fists as he looks down with a scowl, everything sinking in.

As he thinks over what the tinfellow told him however, the anger gives way to confusion. One bolt, one pin not in its proper place as he compares what the tinfellow told him, to what the widow told him.

"I..." He hesistates for a second, part because he himself still can't understand the meaning of it, and part because he knows that what he'll say will worry the tinfellow even more.
    "We... We spoke to Miller. If I recall, she said none of you came her way, and told us you might have gone north."

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ogre in the Playground

"To use as slaves?" Ophine mused as she retrieved some of the maguical berries she'd created earlier in the day. "They did capture the Tinfellows, as well. Or to be killed as an example in town, perhaps."
    She slowly chewed on a goodberry.
    "The Plumes may simply intend to torture them to learn who works against them."

18. - Top - End - #318
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Samurai View Post
    What do you think he has in mind?[/SPOILER]
    Quote Originally Posted by Awful View Post
    "To use as slaves?"
    A wizard almost always is a useful ally. He might have a plan to further his position inside the ranks of the Plumes. And whatever it is, it will not bode well for any captives of him. But I assume Miras is safe. I worry about Zilo much MUCH more. Halflings are brave and familial so Erlich might hope to get some names out of Zilo. He talked about the Tinfellows as if they were his cousins.

Ferrin sits in silence for a few minutes.

I have an idea. They will expect an ambush or at least a surprise attack, right? And Erlich seemed interested in busting my little smuggling ring. Funnily enough they already have the major culprits captive, and the rest of my network is long gone. So why shouldn't I offer myself as a pawn to get Miras and Zilo free? I'll play the sly traitor that sells his friends out for a good position within the Red Plumes and pretend I ditched you two when in reality I put the pieces together so that you may free the two. I distract guards that may look in your direction, I scout out their camps from within. If nothing helps you two have to get Lady Lightsong to help us. We might be doing an investigative job for the Harpers but we cannot deal with half a company of Red Plumes.

19. - Top - End - #319

Guro
    Level 3 Ranger | HP: 28/28 | AC: 18

That sounds very dangerous for you Ferrin. Elrich seems like a strong leader of his pack, not someone to be trifled with. I would hate to split up our power, but it is true that a distraction may help.

Spoiler: Question
    Show
    Does Ophine have Beast Sense or something along those lines? She could hide a rat in Ferrin's pack or something and overhear what he is saying in the camp (to add more recon to the distraction aspect).

20. - Top - End - #320
    Orc in the Playground

Miras will take a short rest as there is not much more he can do

Spoiler: Short rest
    Show
    (2d6+4)[11] also can we please move the map to the first post of OCC so its easier to find. Status: 2 spells used (mage armor, and color spray (is the mage armor still up?, 1 portent used (a 10 still left for use), 2 lucky used 1 left.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Samurai View Post
    [That sounds very dangerous for you Ferrin. Elrich seems like a strong leader of his pack, not someone to be trifled with. I would hate to split up our power, but it is true that a distraction may help.
    Don't remind me. But I can weasel myself out of almost any situation. We cannot kill him easily so we might need subterfuge. I think the closest in nature would be the cuckoo.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ogre in the Playground

Miras, Zilo

The elder halfling doesn't seem to be concerned by this revelation. He merely sighs and shakes his head before answering, "Who knows? They might be dead, or stumbling around the forest without a clue of where to go or how to survive. Not much better off than us, I suppose... And it sure ain't the widow's fault. Don't know what she could do to help us any more than what we could've done ourselves."

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ogre in the Playground

Ophine frowned thoughtfully.
    "There is always the chance - and a strong one - they will not believe you, and simply take you into custody as well. They would lose little from doing so, especially if they suspected a trap, and we are diminished enough our remaining strength would not be enough.

Perhaps we should find the foe first. Once we see their strength and location, we can decide on our next move. I can take the form of some tiny beast that would not draw suspicion, and attempt to free our trapped companions."

24. - Top - End - #324
    Titan in the Playground

Ugh, I hate it when there is no easy solution. Maybe then just sneak in and free the prisoners, simple and easy.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"All right... Lets hope they managed to find a place to hide." Zilo speaks, trying to keep up even a small bit of hope for them. For what it is worth, he also hopes that whatever reasons he might have to suspect Miller of foul play will be proven wrong, too, not fond of the idea of thinking the worst of people.

"Were there any clues or hints about what they might do with you?"

26. - Top - End - #326
    Ogre in the Playground

Miras, Zilo

"Not much. Only that we're 'gonna be fine prizes for Mags'." He coughs slightly as he attempts to imitate Erlich's voice, but he regains himself quickly. "Whatever it is that got you two trapped in this mess has 'em all jittery though. They've been making motions to break camp soon, probably tomorrow morning."

27. - Top - End - #327
    Ogre in the Playground

"Simple and easy," Ophine repeated, her tone suggesting her dubiousness about it.
    "Well, it will not happen uintil we find them. We have rested for long enough; let us depart."

28. - Top - End - #328
    Titan in the Playground

Ferrin eyes Ophine after her obvious sarcasm. Obviously. Let us get going then. Maybe he could intentionally lead them towards the camp from a good angle, tricking THEM into walking straight into Erlich's arms. That would support his bluff that he is actually working against the party. But then, if Erlich is just a miniscule amount of untrustworthy, every part of his plan crumbles. Erlich's allegiances are with the city and the Lord not to be trustworthy.

Before departing though. Guro, you fought well, but can you maybe try not to slice down too many guards? Our entire premise rests on the assumption, nonhumans are NOT animals. And Erlich tried to detain us, not kill everyone. With that said, he packs up.

29. - Top - End - #329

Guro
    Level 3 Ranger | HP: 28/28 | AC: 18

Guro frowns, Well, I do not know what was occurring outside, but they were taking aim at Zilo and I with longswords and crossbows. Any strike could be lethal, and I have the nicks in my shell to show for it. They do not trust me because I do not look like them. I do not trust them because they kidnap others and attacked me. The large tortle shrugs, You do not need to be an animal to know right from wrong, and when to defend yourself.

He seems to give Ferrin's suggestion some thought, We are fewer than they are Ferrin. We can't afford to take prisoners or let them lurk around us. I will try, but I can make no promises.

He packs his things and signals that he is ready to leave.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ogre in the Playground

Ferrin, Guro, Ophine

Refreshed in body and reinvigorated in spirit, the three of you decide to get to the task of tracking the Red Plumes and rescuing your two friends from their (at least to you) unknown fates. Finding your way back to the ruins where each group ambushed each other doesn't prove too difficult, and tracking the heavily armored Red Plumes who made almost no attempts to be sneaky is even easier. It's simply a question of how quickly you manage to navigate the dense forests, and what preparations, if any, you decide to make beforehand.

Spoiler: Things I Need From You
    Show
    • a Survival check - tracking the Red Plumes is easy, it's more a question of how quickly you can move through the forest without issue and if you can track well enough to approach the camp from an advantageous position
    • any spells/abilities you wish to cast/use on the way to the camp
    • a Stealth check from each of you as you approach the camp