New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617181920 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Hah, I came on here to ask whether that "research ____ curse" things ever pay off. Jhod has other stuff he needs to be doing!

But, honestly, since I've mostly complained here- this is a really well written game. The Stolen Lands were empty for a reason- and the game does a great job of explaining why.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sloanzilla View Post
    Hah, I came on here to ask whether that "research ____ curse" things ever pay off. Jhod has other stuff he needs to be doing!

But, honestly, since I've mostly complained here- this is a really well written game. The Stolen Lands were empty for a reason- and the game does a great job of explaining why.
    Yeah, I find it very ... fulfilling, actually. Well, in the "oh my god (Erastil)! What NOW! Can I get TWO weeks of peace and quiet!? Do they NEVER learn that I will march right over there and wreck them!?" kind of way.
    Last edited by Eldonauran; 2018-10-28 at 12:06 PM.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Banned

Hey, in case anyone here is as bad at the game as I am - I've made a monumental discovery: The single best thing I've done with Amiri to try and keep her alive in combat is to give her a glaive. Reach weapons are better than armor class.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    Hey, in case anyone here is as bad at the game as I am - I've made a monumental discovery: The single best thing I've done with Amiri to try and keep her alive in combat is to give her a glaive. Reach weapons are better than armor class.
    Enlarge is your friend. She gains extra damage and reach with any weapon and can sit behind Valerie and wreck faces.

Yeah, this might be my favorite game since Witcher 3. And I can say without spoiling much that researching curses is not completely useless, though not really crucial either.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

5. - Top - End - #395
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    Enlarge is your friend. She gains extra damage and reach with any weapon and can sit behind Valerie and wreck faces.
    Well - she has more range with both. Also, I think size plays a role in targeting? Pretty sure. It's never as hard to keep Nok Nok alive as Amiri, and he has less HP, and does more damage, and has lower AC, yet he just never seems to go down.

6. - Top - End - #396
    Ogre in the Playground

Well - she has more range with both. Also, I think size plays a role in targeting? Pretty sure. It's never as hard to keep Nok Nok alive as Amiri, and he has less HP, and does more damage, and has lower AC, yet he just never seems to go down.
    I don't know. I haven't used Nok-Nok at all, saving him for my future evil playthrough.

7. - Top - End - #397

Size only affects AC really, the reason Amiri gets targeted so much is probably because barbs get bonus move speed so shes usually ahead of everyone else when rushing to attack and when moving between targets. The first to hit or nearest target seem to be what affects aggro tables the most. Also the PC seems to be a favored target in at least in some fights, usually boss battles. It's probably because of how the game forces your characters to arrange themselves for the prefight dialogue.

8. - Top - End - #398
    Firbolg in the Playground

The NPCs will explicitly target the closest unit. That's even one of the loading screen tips.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

9. - Top - End - #399

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    The NPCs will explicitly target the closest unit. That's even one of the loading screen tips.
    I can say with 100% certainty this is not always true. A certain boss favored engaging one of my squishier characters at the start of the fight over my tank who had a huge lead on the rest of my party. It was so bad I had to stand my entire party outside of the boss room and around a corner with only my main tank walking into the room for the first 2 rounds of combat. Any other option always had the warlord rush past my tank taking an AoO to engage the weaker party members.

10. - Top - End - #400

Quote Originally Posted by Inarius View Post
    I can say with 100% certainty this is not always true. A certain boss favored engaging one of my squishier characters at the start of the fight over my tank who had a huge lead on the rest of my party. It was so bad I had to stand my entire party outside of the boss room and around a corner with only my main tank walking into the room for the first 2 rounds of combat. Any other option always had the warlord rush past my tank taking an AoO to engage the weaker party members.
    The only time I've found that to be true so far was
    Spoiler
    Show
    the soul stealers in Vordakai's tomb, which target everyone who gave their names and are untargetable by anyone else.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

11. - Top - End - #401
    Titan in the Playground

It is still a good idea to have every one of your melee guys in the fray and hitting things. Getting archered down is not helping Amiri.

But then again I am (ab)using the OP Leopard companion and building Amiri to be a damage power house (with the AoE reckless abandon that grants damage to the WHOLE party) along with Linzi's Inspire, so realistically 80% of the game caves by our collective damage (gonna switch Tristan for Ekundayo once I find him) with 8 creatures buffed by Haste, getting Inspire Courage plus Reckless Abandon plus all the buffs Harrim can throw at us (though I might probably replace him with a Crusader Cleric or Druid or a Paladin).

12. - Top - End - #402
    Banned

I read that tip - so I know. But ... if I hadn't read that tip, and went solely by how much healing each character requires, I'd say that's not the case. It may be something other than size that does the difference - but it isn't speed, I can say that much for sure. Because I'm not an idiot, I can see that Amiri has higher speed, so obviously I compensate for that manually.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Titan in the Playground

Has anyone had the bug where a featyou got early was disabled until you meet the requirements? Because the Crusader cleric can choose Weapon Focus on 1 as bonus talent yet it says and is disabled on Lv1 (along with a bit of broken BB code and red text).

14. - Top - End - #404

DwarfClericGuy

Funny bug when you use ranged legdermain- the floating hands follow your party around for the rest of the map.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Banned

So I um .. didn't think the situation would go sideways quite so hard, or quite so fast, so Amiri kinda .. did Amiri things to the nice lady in the veil, in that place with the zombies.

Did I very much need the nice lady to not be quite so .. dead?

16. - Top - End - #406

So I um .. didn't think the situation would go sideways quite so hard, or quite so fast, so Amiri kinda .. did Amiri things to the nice lady in the veil, in that place with the zombies.

Did I very much need the nice lady to not be quite so .. dead?
    Spoiler
    Show
    To the contrary, you're better off with her dead. The more of them you kill, the easier it'll be when they turn on you.

17. - Top - End - #407

So a bit of advice. Save every penny you get for the Rushlight tournament at the beginning of the Pitax act. The gear sold there is really really good (+4 stuff) and it seems to only be available for a limited time too.

18. - Top - End - #408

Ouch. I just got to the Rushlight Tournament and have spent all my money on build points.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Ouch. I just got to the Rushlight Tournament and have spent all my money on build points.
    That's what you get for trying to be a good ruler who invests in his Kingdom instead of a greedy adventurer looking for his next gear upgrade.

20. - Top - End - #410
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inarius View Post
    So a bit of advice. Save every penny you get for the Rushlight tournament at the beginning of the Pitax act. The gear sold there is really really good (+4 stuff) and it seems to only be available for a limited time too.
    The latest patchnotes mention they've changed this "limited time" thing.

21. - Top - End - #411

DwarfClericGuy

Has anyone checked to see if they coded the whole +3 weapon counts as cold iron/silver thing?

22. - Top - End - #412
    Ogre in the Playground

Has anyone checked to see if they coded the whole +3 weapon counts as cold iron/silver thing?
    I haven't seen any mention of it so I'd guess no.

23. - Top - End - #413
    Banned

I have to say this game has dedicated a surprising amout of effort into making fights really, really boring. Maybe it works for other people, but the whole 'new enemies spawn behind you, so now we kill your squishies' just ... it's just exceptionally bad game design. Yes, it's not like the solution is difficult - quaff vanish potions, reposition, fight on. It's just ... the fact that it can be countered easily doesn't make it any better design, nor the fights any less boring.

And ... for some reason, when fighting that style of enemy only one character can target ... they don't. No, literally. They'll attack for one round, then lapse into doing nothing while the enemy whales away on them. So you need to sit there and click the enemy, all through the pointlessly long, boring fight.

I love everything else. But the combat is just ... ****!

24. - Top - End - #414

And ... for some reason, when fighting that style of enemy only one character can target ... they don't. No, literally. They'll attack for one round, then lapse into doing nothing while the enemy whales away on them. So you need to sit there and click the enemy, all through the pointlessly long, boring fight.

I love everything else. But the combat is just ... ****!
    I think that's something soul eaters do, some sort of daze effect. I haven't seen it come up in any other combats.
    Last edited by Renegade Paladin; 2018-10-30 at 05:27 PM.

25. - Top - End - #415

DwarfClericGuy

I have to say this game has dedicated a surprising amout of effort into making fights really, really boring. Maybe it works for other people, but the whole 'new enemies spawn behind you, so now we kill your squishies' just ... it's just exceptionally bad game design. Yes, it's not like the solution is difficult - quaff vanish potions, reposition, fight on. It's just ... the fact that it can be countered easily doesn't make it any better design, nor the fights any less boring.
    Mixed feelings on this. See invisibility (minus one specific encounter) is useless. The game decides when stuff is invisible by spawning it at you. There's no good way to be a ninja, since sooner or later you'll hit some mandatory trigger. I could have an infinite perception roll, but would not notice spiders when the game decides I do not notice spiders. I'm tired of fighting owlbears and manticores. I wish the mechanics of the game were closer to pen and paper- in that things at level 6 should not have +20 attacks and I should not be finding belts that boost my stats by 8 total points.

That said, it is a lot of fun.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Banned

Mixed feelings on this. See invisibility (minus one specific encounter) is useless. The game decides when stuff is invisible by spawning it at you. There's no good way to be a ninja, since sooner or later you'll hit some mandatory trigger. I could have an infinite perception roll, but would not notice spiders when the game decides I do not notice spiders. I'm tired of fighting owlbears and manticores. I wish the mechanics of the game were closer to pen and paper- in that things at level 6 should not have +20 attacks and I should not be finding belts that boost my stats by 8 total points.

That said, it is a lot of fun.
    Eh - there are a lot of random encounters with stealthed goblins/bandits/cats/ spiders, where See Invisibility would be useful. That said, I haven't used it, ever. But I agree entirely with the constant spawns of enemies that flank you. Last that happened, it was giants. And not just that, I was fighting one group of giants, and with my artilly group being long range, they weren't even on screen when they got ambushed by newly spawned giants. Linzi, Tristian and my main do not hold up well in melee against giants.

But yes - other than the obvious and numerous flaws, I have a lot of fun, and it's an (otherwise) excellent game.

27. - Top - End - #417
    Bugbear in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I put the game on hold, going to wait until they iron out the game breaking bugs. The game is great, just lacks polish
    Optimizing vs Roleplay
    If the worlds greatest optimizer makes a character and hands it to the worlds greatest roleplayer who roleplays the character. What will happen? Will the Universe implode?

Roleplaying vs Fun
    If roleplaying is no fun then stop doing it. Unless of course you are roleplaying at gunpoint then you should roleplay like your life depended on it.

28. - Top - End - #418

DwarfClericGuy

Every time I do a 14 day "support ___" I come back to three or four missed opportunities/failures due to not even knowing about the event before the 14 day advance. Is there any way to stop and reassign in the middle of the 14 day time pass?

Also, my capital says I'm only using 18 of 20 build spots, but for the life of me I can't find the missing two.
    Last edited by Sloanzilla; 2018-11-03 at 10:36 AM.

29. - Top - End - #419

Every time I do a 14 day "support ___" I come back to three or four missed opportunities/failures due to not even knowing about the event before the 14 day advance. Is there any way to stop and reassign in the middle of the 14 day time pass?

Also, my capital says I'm only using 18 of 20 build spots, but for the life of me I can't find the missing two.
    Never start a 14 day project when there are less than 14 days left in the month. That's the only fix for your first problem. Events always expire on the first day of the month after they happen, so make sure you're not on auto-fast forward through the first day of the month.

As for your second problem, me too.

30. - Top - End - #420
    Banned

My problem in kingdom management continues to be that I have fewer advisors than problems, and that with bonus of 6-9, I have less than 25% chance of success. And I even reduced kingdom difficulty to easy.