New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324252627 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Why are Miko's parents dead?

Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    ...Don't tempt me.

I was astonished to learn fairly recently that Michiko Nishiwaki was an actual Japanese martial artist/stunt actress/action diva who lost her father at an early age, prompting her to become a champion bodybuilder and enter the hong kong film industry.

If this is who Rich had in mind when writing Miko, I can see how he had Roy drooling at first contact ...
    More on Michiko here if one is interested in poses with a sword, etc.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2018-10-29 at 03:23 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

2. - Top - End - #692
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    If this is who Rich had in mind when writing Miko, I can see how he had Roy drooling at first contact ...
    I know, right? She's incredible. (Also did Lucy Liu's stunt work for Charlie's Angels, but hasn't been seen from since. Damn shame.)
    Give directly to the extreme poor.

3. - Top - End - #693
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    748 seems to imply that Belkar at least remembers Basic D&D. Any age rules back then to make things even more of a mess?
    Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    If you put Tolkien into the mess, we have halflings that only reach adulthood at 33.
    But Tolkien plagurized halflings hobbits from The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. Did Baum ever say anything about munchkin lifespans? Not that it would matter if he did, since Baum had trouble keeping details consistent from one page to the next, let alone from book to book.

4. - Top - End - #694
    Colossus in the Playground

Uh?

I'm not seeing anything hobbits have in common with munchkins beyond size.

If, and from where I'm sitting this is a huge massive if, it actually has anything to do with hobbits or halflings, munchkins, like every other resident of the Land of Oz including humans who moved there, were immortal and nearly unkillable.
    Last edited by Kish; 2018-10-31 at 09:14 AM.

5. - Top - End - #695
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Werent Tolkien's hobbits, to the extent that they were based on anything more than idealized English country folk, inspired by various gnome-analogues of norse and celtic mythologies?
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

6. - Top - End - #696
    Troll in the Playground

Actually, both Hobbits and Dwarves are based on the dwarfs from Walt Disney's Snow White and Seven Dwarfs.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #697
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    Actually, both Hobbits and Dwarves are based on the dwarfs from Walt Disney's Snow White and Seven Dwarfs.
    Well played.

8. - Top - End - #698
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    But Tolkien plagurized halflings hobbits from The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.
    Nope.

Just out of curiosity, where do you get that idea? "Little people" like pixies, brownies, faeries, imps, jacks in the green, gnomes, elves of varying kinds, etcetera have been fixtures in European folk lore for a very, very long time.

@Keltest: yeah
    @martianmaster: *chuckle*
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2018-10-31 at 10:36 AM.
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.

9. - Top - End - #699
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Snails View Post
    Well played.
    Durin the Deathless is totally Sleepy. I've been saying this for years, and nobody believes me.

10. - Top - End - #700
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NihhusHuotAliro View Post
    Durin the Deathless is totally Sleepy. I've been saying this for years, and nobody believes me.
    Gimli at Lothlórien might be Bashful.
    ungelic is us

11. - Top - End - #701
    Firbolg in the Playground

The truth is that every halfling/hobbit/dwarf/munchkin/pixie/gnome is actually Banjo in disguise. But Banjo is crafted from yarn, and Odin has seen yarn winding yarn. Therefore, Banjo is in the process of creating more halflings right now!

12. - Top - End - #702
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    The truth is that every halfling/hobbit/dwarf/munchkin/pixie/gnome is actually Banjo in disguise. But Banjo is crafted from yarn, and Odin has seen yarn winding yarn. Therefore, Banjo is in the process of creating more halflings right now!
    Oh my goodness, why didn't I see this coming?

The halflings will rebuild the Eastern Pantheon in their own image and likeness, elevating (as replacement for Ares) Belkar to deity status: the Sexy Shoeless God of War.

13. - Top - End - #703
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TidePriestess View Post
    I will admit, one of the major reasons I like Miko is that she specifically didn't put up with the Order's crap.
    Miko is nobody's toy. Not Roy's, and not Shojo's. Her independent self-confidence, and her ability to slash a problem into submission far more easily than talking it into reason, is what drives her the whole way through the comic. Including when she discovered Shojo prevented her from personally bringing justice to a murderer, the same murderer he secretly released from imprisonment and casually conversed with.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

14. - Top - End - #704

In order to avoid further derailing other threads, I'm replying to a comment from the Trans Characters thread, here:

Yes, and I don't consider this to reflect particularly well on Roy. Seizing on the harsh language as a basis for "aha! Now I have deep and damning insight into your true character!" seems kinda petty and superficial when he could have been seizing on a dozen other telling things she did, including paying his bills and thwarting regicide. It's terrible logic.
    It isn't just that - it's that, as Elan put it, Miko has been "mean" to them almost from the beginning:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0231.html

As The Giant put it:

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    For the record, yes, being stubborn, judgmental, and unwilling to consider that she was incorrect even in the face of overwhelming evidence were pretty much Miko's defining characteristics. That she occasionally overcame them from time to time only proves that she was a person and not a caricature. It does not nullify the underlying traits, in the same way that one would still say that Vaarsuvius is verbose, even though he/she sometimes gives a one-word response.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

15. - Top - End - #705
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    It isn't just that - it's that, as Elan put it, Miko has been "mean" to them almost from the beginning:
    Yes, and I'm baffled as to why Elan should be taken as some font of deep wisdom in this regard. Half of the order had been verbally abusive to eachother on a regular basis, not least Roy toward himself.

Given that I disagree profoundly with the author on a number of these points, why do you think quoting him is going to sway me?

16. - Top - End - #706

Given that I disagree profoundly with the author on a number of these points, why do you think quoting him is going to sway me?
    I don't.

But it might sway others, who agree with me that the author is the one in the best position to know about the personality traits of characters they created,

but who don't yet know the author's opinions about Miko.

17. - Top - End - #707
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, unfortunately, he also has this choice remark to make:

If Durkon was going to attack someone because that person has a job working for a predominantly Evil nation, he would be a female samurai-paladin and we would call him "Miko."
    This strikes me as odd, because I recall that once upon a time, when people were accusing Miko of reflexively butchering every usual-evil species she came across, he took it upon himself to tell the readership explicitly that this was not true, in a forum post regrettably now lost to server glitches.

Does he not remember doing this? Or did he quietly substitute a different character and hoped that no-one would notice?

18. - Top - End - #708
    Troll in the Playground

Didn't you call it as Elan being oversensitive?
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #709

This strikes me as odd, because I recall that once upon a time, when people were accusing Miko of reflexively butchering every usual-evil species she came across, he took it upon himself to tell the readership explicitly that this was not true, in a forum post regrettably now lost to server glitches.

Does he not remember doing this? Or did he quietly substitute a different character and hoped that no-one would notice?
    There is a difference between a species and a nation. Miko's first encounter with the Order featured her discarding orders to "try hard to bring them back alive for trial" in favor of quickly attacking, so it's clear*, without reference to Word of the Author in either direction, that Miko places attacking perceived evil above any reasonable* definition of following orders, and since she tried to kill the entire Order after confirming that one-third of them glowed red to her magic-vision, "predominantly" wouldn't save the employee in question either.

*Take it as read that you disagree with these characterizations.

20. - Top - End - #710

Didn't you call it as Elan being oversensitive?
    I said Elan was possibly oversensitive with regard to Miko being mean to him:

I believe that what convinced Elan that she was being mean to him (possibly a case of Elan being oversensitive and not getting how annoying he was being) was the events of this strip:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0209.html
    If Durkon was going to attack someone because that person has a job working for a predominantly Evil nation, he would be a female samurai-paladin and we would call him "Miko."

Which is exactly what Gin-Jun is trying to teach her, that "hobgoblins are predominantly Evil, so don't worry about your lack of Detect Evil, when it comes to attacking them"
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2018-11-04 at 11:01 AM.

21. - Top - End - #711
    Troll in the Playground

I said Elan was possibly oversensitive with regard to Miko being mean to him:
    Eh, I think it's more likely that Elan is affected by the animosity between Haley and Miko.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #712

Eh, I think it's more likely that Elan is affected by the animosity between Haley and Miko.
    There wasn't any overt animosity between Haley and Miko in front of Elan until after the inn was destroyed. Miko complains about the cost of the inn stuff, when they're signing in, but she doesn't actually say anything nasty about Haley there.

Note that Elan says "V, me, and you" are the ones Miko is mean to. Not Haley.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2018-11-04 at 11:15 AM.

23. - Top - End - #713

Miko's clash with Elan while she was traveling with the Order was mainly about him being annoying. A lot like Roy's, and indeed Miko was considerably nicer to Elan than Roy was verbally--though Elan didn't see it that way, probably because he was interposing "Roy is my big brother!" stuff in place of everything Roy was actually saying.

Her clashes with Haley and especially Vaarsuvius were more serious. Whether that reflects badly on Miko is still debatable (Vaarsuvius has always been a conceited snob who treats most people with contempt and howls when not treated with respect, and I'm inclined to take as a given that even though Miko didn't actually hear Vaarsuvius call her "this foul shrew," she could pick up an idea of Vaarsuvius' attitude toward her in a hurry).

Her clash with Belkar, of course, was nearly lethally serious, which is entirely to Miko's credit in my eyes. (Insert my standard comment about the amount of innocent blood on Roy's hands because he decided personal loyalty mattered more than he's an asterisking serial killer.)

As for the way Miko acted toward Roy, even Roy conceded that it was hugely inappropriate for him to address a warrior he'd just met as "baby" and hit on her constantly, for all of one strip before moving on to "overbearing self-righteous bitch."
    Last edited by Kish; 2018-11-04 at 11:17 AM.

24. - Top - End - #714

I recall that once upon a time, when people were accusing Miko of reflexively butchering every usual-evil species she came across, he took it upon himself to tell the readership explicitly that this was not true, in a forum post regrettably now lost to server glitches.
    I've been going back through some of the oldest threads when this argument was raised- where one would have expected somebody to quote The Giant to support their case - and I can't find any such quotes - which would still be present even if the links themselves wouldn't work.

25. - Top - End - #715

Check for someone asserting that Miko would butcher kobolds without hesitation. Rich responded to it directly.

26. - Top - End - #716
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Check for someone asserting that Miko would butcher kobolds without hesitation. Rich responded to it directly.
    I can find a post by you referencing said post, but I can't seem to find the post itself. I don't suppose you remember what the original topic was, or even better, have a link?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

27. - Top - End - #717

No, I don't have a link. I think the thread was started by someone posting that there weren't enough kobolds in the comic, or something like that.

28. - Top - End - #718

I think this was the first time you mentioned the incident - in 2006, not long after it took place, it would appear:

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    A lot of people dislike paladins for reasons that have nothing to do with badly played paladins. We've even seen it here, with people assuming Miko actually felt genocidal hatred for kobolds which was never even implied.

29. - Top - End - #719

Well, obviously, it had to happen after Miko showed up, so 2xx being the current comic is to be expected.

30. - Top - End - #720
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

In an attempt to steer Miko conversation away from the trans representation thread...
    Yes, and I don't consider this to reflect particularly well on Roy. Seizing on the harsh language as a basis for "aha! Now I have deep and damning insight into your true character!" seems kinda petty and superficial when he could have been seizing on a dozen other telling things she did, including paying his bills and thwarting regicide. It's terrible logic.
    And yet even Miko's first argument against Roy's invective isn't a refutation, but an "I outrank you socially so shut up" attempt to stop hearing the accusations. If you argue that Roy's comments don't reflect well on him, then surely you will agree that Miko's rebuttall reflects every worse on her. Call me an optimist.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2