New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Post Game-Warper's Optimization Challenge #2: Dragonwrought Kobolds are True Dragons

Hello, welcome to the the

Game-Warper's Optimization Challenge!

Round 2: Dragonwrought Kobolds Are True Dragons

In this round, you will build a character that is eligible to take the Dragonwrought feat at 1st level under the assumption that doing so definitively allows you to treat that character as a True dragon. If you don't understand what that means, just wait a week for the giantitp boards to poke that particular dead horse with the loquacious stick. You can use any benefit of being a true dragon that you can cite from an allowable source.

This character build will be from levels 1-20.

This competition is based on the Iron Chef Competition rules.

Allowable Sources: Same as the Iron Chef Competition.

Rules: We will follow all of the entry rules and requirements of the Iron Chef Optimization Challenge for this contest except Judging and that you are limited to a single entry.

PAY ATTENTION THIS IS WAY DIFFERENT THAN NORMAL, WE ARE NOW USING RANKED CHOICE JUDGMENTS:

Judging: By Entering an entrant into this contest, you agree to become a judge. That's right. This is pay to play. Judging works like this:

1. Once all of the submissions are made to the chair: ME (daremetoidareyo) at the end of the challenge period, they will be posted to the forum by the chair.

2. Entrants will read all of the entries and score the other builds by the following metrics:

If there are two entries:
    The judge will address the following 4 categories: Originality, Power, Elegance, and Use of the ingredient. Each category will need at least two sentences explaining the judge's thoughts and ideas about the build. The submitter only judges the other contestant's build. Both Contestants will share the gold/plated silver medal.

If there are 3-6 entries:
    The Builds will be assessed in the following 4 categories: Originality, Power, Elegance, Use of the ingredient. Each category will need at least one sentence that evaluates how the build performs in those categories. The submitter only judges the other contestant's builds, not their own. The Judge will then rank each of the builds based on the insights received through the assessment of the build categories from first to last (first place, second place, third place, etc.) If a submitter fails to provide a judgement to every other entrant, all of the scores received for their build rendered by other entrants are treated as zeros. If you want to win, you have to judge.

To determine the medalists, Each build will then receive a number of points depending on what ranks they received from judges. The point gain rubric for this formula is this:

1st place = Number of Contesants -1
    2nd place - Number of contestants -2

Each of the builds will then have a tally of the total points from between the judge's rankings. The highest point total wins.

If there are 7 or more entries:
    Builds will be assessed by the following 4 categories: Originality, Power, Elegance, Use of the ingredient.

There must be at least one sentence addressing the your Elegance of the Build.
    There must be one sentence that begins with "What i liked most about this entry was....."
    And there must be one sentence that must begin with "An area of this build that needed more attention was...."

The submitter only judges the other contestant's builds, not their own. If a submitter fails to provide a judgement to every other entrant, all of the scores received for their build rendered by other entrants are treated as zeros. If you want to win, you have to judge. We then move to the ranked choice system explained in the "If there are 3-6 entries" section above.

OVERALL Simply use the established definitions of the rating categories (originality, power , elegance, UoSI) from the Iron Chef Optimization Challenge.

3. These judgments are PMed to the chair, You can send google doc links or similar formats so long as i don't have to sign up for anything, and I will cut and paste the judgments into the thread.

4. We tally up and determine the winner There is no dispute process, so these scores may wildly fluctuate and some contestants will potentially have to manage feelings of injustice on their own. If someone actively works to game this judging system we will edit it in the future to preclude optimization that hurts the spirit of the contest.

So there it is. Show me your tiny dragons!

DEADLINE For Entry: November 1st Midnight, Eastern Standard Time in the USA.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: Game-Warper's Optimization Challenge #2: Dragonwrought Kobolds are True Dragons

Previous Rounds
    Round 1: Flawed Commoner

Announcements
    I will post edits and announcements here. For example, if you didn't read the judging section of the above post, you wouldn't know that we are using a ranked choice system to determine winners.

Don't worry too much about providing extensive snapshots like in Iron Chef. Tell us what your true dragon kobold does differently or better than other true dragon kobolds. That's where the real gold lies.

Here are the previous comps

#1: E6 Flawed commoner

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Game-Warper's Optimization Challenge #2: Dragonwrought Kobolds are True Dragons

Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    Don't worry too much about providing extensive snapshots like in Iron Chef. Tell us what your true dragon kobold does differently or better than other true dragon kobolds. That's where the real gold lies.
    I like this! Trying to wrangle the Iron Chef form wasn't a particularly fun part of the process last time and evidently no one liked the result anyway.

How simple a look are we talking? Just a few lines of "whatever1/something else10/etc.", a full stat block, or still somewhat of a level by level breakdown?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Prove that you're viable at low levels, and pick a level where you have all the tools you need to do your dragonwrought thing well and explain from there.

If you want to do snapshots like iron chef, go ahead.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

I have entirely too many ideas to decide between. This is going to be fun.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sir Driscoll Conia - Silver - IC L

Nick Snarespan - Gold - IC LIII

Lucy "Legs" Silvertail - Bronze - IC LXVIII

Bolfarg of Knoss - Gold - IC LXXVII

Ivarr Deathborn - Bronze - IC LXXVII

Ahmtel - Silver - IC LXXVIII

Tocke of Nessus - Gold - IC LXXIX

The Blessed Third - Silver - IC LXXXI

Galahad Galapagos - Gold - IC LXXXIV

Sai-don, Knight of the Tide - Bronze - IC LXXXIV

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

How about the reverse where dragons would count as true kobolds?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Bronk, there are a couple of tricks for wrangling the table. You can build it in a spreadsheet on Google Sheets or Excel or numbers if you have a Mac and then you can copy and paste it into the PM. What you have to do is click that top left button, the what-you-see-is-what-you-get button, first.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Nerdomancer in the Playground Moderator

DruidGuy

possibly, in for a bookmark at least :D
    Spoiler: Medals & Current Characters
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    More sources, more choices, more power. Welcome to D&D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I am unsure if I have any ideas that warrant putting together a build. Partially paralyzed by the wealth of options. Also don't really think I have the TO chops to play with Dragonwrought Kobold to any real level of awesome. We shall see!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

How many maybes do we have as entrants?

11. - Top - End - #11

DruidGuy

i am a definite.
    Show

I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll be a maybe... I'm working on it, but I'm still in the planning phase. Time is harder to come by this month! Thanks for the table advice too, by the way.
    Last edited by Bronk; 2018-10-22 at 07:26 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

NinjaGuy

I'm a definite maybe. I've got an idea I'm interested in, now I need to see if I can make it work and then see if I have the time to polish it to submission form.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

I'm honor-bound to get something in.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

If anyone needs an extension, just let me know

16. - Top - End - #16

NinjaGuy

we've got a week left, right? Should be enough at this point.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

If anyone needs an extension, just let me know
    Thanks... I’m not sure yet. I’ll know where I’m at after the weekend.

18. - Top - End - #18

DruidGuy

i made a few boo boos, but should be able to correct them and submit in time.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

We have one entry! Keep them rolling in!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

I'm struggling with my usual problem of wanting about 10 more feats and finding myself a bit swamped this week. I may end up needing an extension.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by WhamBamSam View Post
    I'm struggling with my usual problem of wanting about 10 more feats and finding myself a bit swamped this week. I may end up needing an extension.
    We shall reconvene at 11:59PM on the night of the 8th.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

We shall reconvene at 11:59PM on the night of the 8th.
    Just checking to make double sure... does this mean we get an extra week? If so, that would relieve a lot of stress!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    Just checking to make double sure... does this mean we get an extra week? If so, that would relieve a lot of stress!
    Yup. Let that stress fail its death saving throw

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

I have a single entry in. Thursday night is the deadline, do we need a few more days?

25. - Top - End - #25

NinjaGuy

I should be good to go

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

I think I'll be able to make the deadline.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

As per a request via PM, make that friday night at 1159 PM Eastern Standard US time

28. - Top - End - #28

NinjaGuy

As per a request via PM, make that friday night at 1159 PM Eastern Standard US time
    Oh good - that gives me more than 20 minutes to come up with some fluff (though now I also feel honor bound to actually provide sources as well, sigh)

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

I was about to ask for an extension too. I spent too much time dithering between two builds and need a little longer to actually finish the one I finally decided on.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by WhamBamSam View Post
    I was about to ask for an extension too. I spent too much time dithering between two builds and need a little longer to actually finish the one I finally decided on.
    Do you need till Monday?