New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1146 - The Discussion Thread

Well, as theological revelations go, I guess that's refreshingly direct.
    Avatar by the lovely and talented Linklele

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Particle_Man View Post
    Didn't at least one of those (or the combo of all three) have a 6'1" height requirement in 1e? Durkon might fall . . . short.
    Yeah, it does in deed, DMG p 168. The 3.5 version dropped that requirement, but it does spell out the hammer as "large" so I am not sure if that causes durkon problems. (Isn't he medium sized?)
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

3. - Top - End - #123
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Sengachi View Post
    Wait. Does anyone remember if Banjo the Puppet God has ever shown a divine aura, and if so what color it was?

Because a good storyteller, when using an old, old reference in a plot critical way, will often lampshade it before the big reveal to jog your memory. Y'all, I think Banjo may be a god with a new novel color that will help seal Snarl in place of The Dark One.
    Banjo has no quiddity. Even if he did, he'd be a ridiculously weak god. Even if he wasn't, Elan would need to be a cleric. Even if Elan was, he'd need to be able to cast a ninth level spell.

Bevause a good storyteller will introduce many different ways of "Banjo being a god isn't going to happen" to try to convince people that a puppet won't solve the plot.
    Quote Originally Posted by blunk View Post
    "jet fuel can't melt steel beams"
    This is my new favorite theory.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #124
    Bugbear in the Playground

To be clear, Rich never said a puppet won’t solve the plot and save the day. Roy did. There’s a difference. Roy says whatever Rich writes, including the times when Roy is wrong.

That’s not proof of anything. But neither is Roy’s opinion proof of anything.
    The Giant says: Yes, I am aware TV Tropes exists as a website. ... No, I have never decided to do something in the comic because it was listed on TV Tropes. I don't use it as a checklist for ideas ... and I have never intentionally referenced it in any way.

5. - Top - End - #125

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    To be clear, Rich never said a puppet won’t solve the plot and save the day. Roy did. There’s a difference. Roy says whatever Rich writes, including the times when Roy is wrong.

I don't recall anyone using Roy as evidence. I used a bunch of other stuff as evidence, but since none of that was addressed and something I never mentioned was, I assume you aren't responding to me.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

How about "he's a puppet?"

7. - Top - End - #127
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lexible View Post
    "A little secret your people forgot a few generations back…"
    Right. So, something of use against Hel's minions, that the dwarves knew, but haven't used in as a weapon for a while. Hmm. Some good options there.
    1) Gunpowder?
    2) Alcohol is an amazing disinfectant, and so is honey?
    3) A bonus to saving throws against rod, staff, wand and spell?
    4) Animated trees would just curb-stomp vampires?
    5) They, um, speak Kobold?

I'll work on it.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Given how many things have literal names in OOTS like Passage Pass, when Thor says "concrete physical aid," maybe the secret is how to make concrete. Dwarves are all into the masonry, after all. Not sure how he'd use it against vampires unless he's flooding the council chamber with it, though.

Though my less silly side agrees: some sort of "thunder shield."
    Last edited by drazen; 2018-11-11 at 02:16 PM. Reason: there is no r in THE.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

And suddenly, Odin wanting to deify a puppet makes so much more sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by OrcusMcP View Post
    More quality harrumphing from Dragolord! 2 points! Arguments: 5 points. This has everything I would want in this kind of argument: clear and passionate demagoguery, with calls to glory and nascent nationalism, rejection of the old way and pressing forward into the new future! Love it!
    Player of this awesome game.

Dragolord out.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    The 3.5 version dropped that requirement, but it does spell out the hammer as "large" so I am not sure if that causes durkon problems. (Isn't he medium sized?)
    Durkon is indeed Medium-sized...but warhammers are one-handed weapons; so a Medium-sized creature can wield a Large warhammer as a two-handed weapon with a -2 penalty on attack rolls, to account for the size difference.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RMS Oceanic View Post
    And I guess this is the final proof that Durkon will be interacting with the material plane once more, because Elan would go full Kratos if this foreshadowing was shut down.
    OMG this is pure gold. Can I sig that?
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Particle_Man View Post
    Didn't at least one of those (or the combo of all three) have a 6'1" height requirement in 1e?
    That sounds...truly, monumentally stupid. "Humans only" is at least comprehensible. "Now you're going to be penalized because you didn't arbitrarily decide you were playing a really tall human" is not.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Pixie in the Playground

Wonder if a shrunken Thor would 'accidentally' drop his hammer near Durkon when 'drunk'...

Or was there ever a spell to summon Thor's Hammer?

Spoiler: I Am A: Lawful Good Human Ranger/Wizard (3rd/2nd Level)
    Show
    Code:
    Ability Scores:   Information:
    Strength     14   Alignment Lawful Good
    Dexterity    15   Race      Human
    Constitution 13
    Intelligence 14   Class:
    Wisdom       17   Primary   Ranger
    Charisma     11   Secondary Wizard

14. - Top - End - #134
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Thank you Mr. Giant!

So Durkon is getting a power-up, that's nice :) And I assume it's no coincident that his way of getting it is similar to Roy's, in that Roy got taught a powerful but forgotten move from grandfather Greenhilt, whom he adored as a child and whose footsteps he aspired to follow. In Durkon's case, it's his revered god Thor who's granting him the (presumably) powerful but forgotten something. I wonder if it's ever going to come to the rest of the Order's turn? As far as upgrades go, Haley's gotten that new bow years ago, plus an dagger a few months recently. Elan's barely started optimizing his build while recently getting a new sword, and Belkar got a new dagger. None of them seem as cool as Roy's sword though.

I'm not sure if there's enough room left for 3 separate adventures to get all their stuffs upgraded, but maybe Banjo could grant Elan something cool next lol
    "A good way to get a decent person to do something horrible is to convince them that they're not responsible for their actions" - Director Cedrik - OOTS #640

"Geez! You give a guy a crown and it goes straight to his head!''
    _ "Where else would a crown go?"

15. - Top - End - #135
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by drazen View Post
    Given how many things have literal names in OOTS like Passage Pass, when Thor says "concrete physical aid," maybe the secret is how to make concrete. Dwarves are all into the masonry, after all. Not sure how he'd use it against vampires unless he's flooding the council chamber with it, though.

Though my less silly side agrees: some sort of "thunder shield."
    I like how you think.

The ideal answer is something that is genuinely associated with Dwarves, but does not exist in 3e. Like something in 1e or oD&D or a literary source like LotR.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Snails View Post
    I like how you think.

The ideal answer is something that is genuinely associated with Dwarves, but does not exist in 3e. Like something in 1e or oD&D or a literary source like LotR.
    Now, I'm trying to figure ou how moon-runes or dragon-fireproof masks coud help.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DSCrankshaw View Post
    Well, there are a number of possibilities I can think of for what the secret could be:
    2. A secret mechanism that opens up the council chamber to the sky. Very effective against sunlight-sensitive vampires, though I don't know why the Dwarves would have such a thing.
    If it was Thor who told the early dwarves about the wager with Hel, it was likely at a site associated with the worship of Thor, which might then have a port for viewing the sky, just as the present temple has. The council chamber is a good candidate; certainly the council’s receiving an unbreakable oath from the first king, Dvalin, suggests they might have been front and center when the culture of honor was adopted at Thor’s prompting. Add that the chamber is in the center of a town named Firmament, and then consider what the firmament is supposed to be, a solid object separating heaven from earth, and it begins to seem plausible.

Is Durkon’s quest one of rescuing a civilization cut off from its roots... in the sky?
    Last edited by Rollin; 2018-11-11 at 06:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by godsflunky View Post
    It'll be a wild ride, and I can't wait to see all the twists and turns, but we'll be fine.

This is gonna be great.

18. - Top - End - #138

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I don't recall anyone using Roy as evidence. I used a bunch of other stuff as evidence, but since none of that was addressed and something I never mentioned was, I assume you aren't responding to me.
    I am responding to you and others. If you can point me to a quote where Rich said there would be no banjotheosis, let’s see it. Every other justification is just the opinion of some character within the strip.

As to your point, no, a “good storyteller” doesn’t have to explicitly foreclose on every possible future resolution to the plot. (There was no explicit mention in Lord of the Rings, for instance, about Éowyn or Faramir not dropping the One Ring into the Crack of Doom.) A storyteller may, however, engage in misdirection to make a certain outcome seem unlikely in order to surprise the reader (eg, again with Éowyn, we were told that “no man alive” could kill the Lord of the Nazgûl, a clear use of misdirection on a technicality).
    The Giant says: Yes, I am aware TV Tropes exists as a website. ... No, I have never decided to do something in the comic because it was listed on TV Tropes. I don't use it as a checklist for ideas ... and I have never intentionally referenced it in any way.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

I am responding to you and others. If you can point me to a quote where Rich said there would be no banjotheosis, let’s see it. Every other justification is just the opinion of some character within the strip.

As to your point, no, a “good storyteller” doesn’t have to explicitly foreclose on every possible future resolution to the plot. (There was no explicit mention in Lord of the Rings, for instance, about Éowyn or Faramir not dropping the One Ring into the Crack of Doom.)
    Faramir explicitly refused the Ring.

But this is a weird example. The Lord of the Rings was never episodic. It is intended to be read in a single book so there is little speculation to be had.
    Forum Wisdom

20. - Top - End - #140

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Now, I'm trying to figure ou how moon-runes or dragon-fireproof masks coud help.
    It's clearly the Arkenstone.
    I'll do that as soon as you point me to anyone using Roy as a justification. Until then, stop beating a strawman.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    It's clearly the Arkenstone.
    You know, if it really is Maedhros' Silmaril they could just throw it at the Exaargh, should tke it out of commission for a while.
    Forum Wisdom

22. - Top - End - #142
    Halfling in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Haven't read the thread, apologies if this already came up...

Okay, so Durkon now knows that his exile has been lifted. I'd forgotten Minrah knew about that.

Since Rubyrock made that info sound like such an important Checkhov's gun, I originally thought (as many others did, at least if I recall correctly) that it would help convert Durkula. That didn't happen, obviously. So then I thought, and still do, that the info will come into play at the Council vote somehow. Like, Durkon will be able to intervene at the meeting somehow in a way that he officially wouldn't be allowed to if he was still officially exiled. I was thinking Roy might dramatically reveal that Durkon wasn't exiled at the meeting when one of the vamped elders questioned his right to be there, or something, but I guess that won't happen now (or I guess it could, but it wouldn't be a surprise for Durkon). But come to think of it Roy probably would've just told Durkon soon after he's rezzed, anyway (and still will if Durkon doesn't mention it first, since he doesn't know Minrah already told him).

So yeah, I think Durkon not being exiled will be relevant at the Council meeting somehow. Or at least, it'll be important for some reason; there'll be too much wasted foreshadowing if it isn't. This strip doesn't change my opinion of that (actually it makes it stronger since Durkon finding out wasn't a super dramatic moment), but I thought I'd mention all this now since this strip mentioned the exile being lifted.
    "The genealogical trees at the end of the Red Book of Westmarch are a small book in themselves, and all but Hobbits would find them exceedingly dull." -J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nolongeralurker View Post

Okay, so Durkon now knows that his exile has been lifted. I'd forgotten Minrah knew about that.

Since Rubyrock made that info sound like such an important Checkhov's gun, I originally thought (as many others did, at least if I recall correctly) that it would help convert Durkula. That didn't happen, obviously. So then I thought, and still do, that the info will come into play at the Council vote somehow. Like, Durkon will be able to intervene at the meeting somehow in a way that he officially wouldn't be allowed to if he was still officially exiled. I was thinking Roy might dramatically reveal that Durkon wasn't exiled at the meeting when one of the vamped elders questioned his right to be there, or something, but I guess that won't happen now (or I guess it could, but it wouldn't be a surprise for Durkon). But come to think of it Roy probably would've just told Durkon soon after he's rezzed, anyway (and still will if Durkon doesn't mention it first, since he doesn't know Minrah already told him).

So yeah, I think Durkon not being exiled will be relevant at the Council meeting somehow. Or at least, it'll be important for some reason; there'll be too much wasted foreshadowing if it isn't. This strip doesn't change my opinion of that (actually it makes it stronger since Durkon finding out wasn't a super dramatic moment), but I thought I'd mention all this now since this strip mentioned the exile being lifted.
    Durkon wasn't technically exiled, he was just too lawful to disobey a direct order. Everything about Hurak's actions surrounding that (framing it as a "mission", swearing Blackore to secrecy keeping it from Rubyrock and the records) pretty much screams that it was completely illegal for him to exile Durkon, so I'd be surprised if it turned out some law would have prevented Durkon from doing anything.

Also, the vampires plan on Dominating the Elders not vamping them. They can't vote if they're dead.
    Forum Wisdom

24. - Top - End - #144

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by nolongeralurker View Post

It might be important for Durkon to accept a ressurection in dwarven Land. He is Lawfull after all, and he was told never to come back. He could not stop the Vampire in his body, but he could refuse to let his soul go back.

25. - Top - End - #145

Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    It might be important for Durkon to accept a ressurection in dwarven Land. He is Lawfull after all, and he was told never to come back. He could not stop the Vampire in his body, but he could refuse to let his soul go back.
    His happiness is simply because now he knows that when this is all over he can go home instead of wondering around human lands until he dies.

Durkon is Lawful, sometimes to the point of stupidity, but there is no way he'd refuse a resurrection knowing all that is at stakes, just because of where he is. Especially now that he's on a direct holy mission from his god. Nothing about how he's been talking has indicated he'd go "Well, I'm in Dwarven Lands, so...."
    Last edited by Rrmcklin; 2018-11-11 at 07:58 PM.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
    Yeah, thinking about it, it very well could be Mjolnir...

And just think. We have V slinging spells, Haley shooting arrows, Row throwing his sword with his psychic powers, Durkon throwin his hammer and calling it back like Thor, Elan being Elan... and poor Belkar behind in the dust complaining why everyone else gets cool ranged attacks but him. As always.
    Doesn't Belkar get a racial bonus to throwing things such as daggers?
    Last edited by Borris; 2018-11-11 at 10:22 PM.

27. - Top - End - #147

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Borris View Post
    Doesn't Belkar get a racial bonus to throwing things such as daggers?
    Yes, Halflings get +1 to thrown weapons and slings in 3.5.

28. - Top - End - #148

So Durkon was already the happiest he has ever been, and now Thor's revealing secret forgotten dwarflore? #peakdurkon
    "For you see, I theorize that the halfling does not possess a true sentient brain, like you or I, but rather a simple lump of nerve tissue that serves as a primitive "proto-brain" that can only process two emotional reactions to people: Hate or Lust."

29. - Top - End - #149

Belkar has been throwing his daggers all comic.

30. - Top - End - #150

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    You know, if it really is Maedhros' Silmaril they could just throw it at the Exaargh, should tke it out of commission for a while.
    I haven't read LotR or the Silmarillion in forever. Is it confirmed that the Arkenstone was a silmaril?
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Lots of people seem to use blue for sarcasm, I decided I should too
    Quote Originally Posted by nabcif View Post
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.
    I have joined the ranks of the FFRPeople Here is my character.

Thank you to Linkele for creating my avatar!