New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Griphons in Society

I would like to include griphons as an intelligent race in my world. They fit in the Aegean/Near Eastern theme of the setting.

I see them mostly living in shepherd villages in the hills. They would protect the herds from predators and help to find lost animals. The villages feed them in exchange. Some probably also make a living as couriers. Their front claws are somewhat dexterous so a few might be craftsmen or blacksmiths, but that's unusual.

Griphons traditionally are seen as protectors of kings, sacred places, and treasure. The Shirdal are the mighty griphon knights of the empire, loyal and brave. They are charged with protecting the rule of law, church property, and the Imperial treasury. They usually fight as flying light infantry, using bows and lances to harass enemy troops. Some, however, fight in full armor. They are a common theme in folklore. The Shirdals have managed to stay out of the Empire's current upheavals and so have maintained their reputation where many other institutions have been tarnished.

I see the Shridal as filling the same role that paladins do.

My questions for you guys is, what other roles do you think griphons might play in society? How would they dress? I don't think that nudism would be accepted for intelligent creatures.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Why be Evil when you can be Lawful?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: Griphons in Society

Their roles? - Messengers between cities, scouts, guides throw the mountains, traders who can sell you fresh sea fish in a middle of country, saver for those, whom town is under siege (they can transport food there).They can sand message just by figure of flight. Ability to fly makes them a perfect mapmakers.

They have no hands so almost any object they have is created by someone else. They need someone to baskets for them to cary more things. That should be model of two baskets one on each side, they shone be able take it of easily, perhaps by lowering heads and stepping back. That model also should had a good balance for easy flight and stability on earth.

Almast all gryphons should have a humanoid servant, to clear their feathers and helping with putting things on their backs.

Cloths isn't so important if you are flying, the only model I can imagine is a kind of robe with holes for wings and legs, probably from light materials, like silk. But they won't be able to put it on without help, so I'm not shore they need it at all.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Just because nudism isn't socially excepted in our culture, doesn't mean that it wouldn't be socially excepted in every culture.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Chariot Driver might be a higher status in a society where the mount out-ranks the archer on his back.

Stirrups might be invented earlier, to enable even more stable mounted archery.

Imagine greek fire being dropped from dive-bomber griffons. Goodbye enemy boats. The aerie-roost carrier will dominate naval warfare.

Do horses fear griffons? Can a few griffons dive-shriek a cavalry charge into disorder? If so, perhaps cavalry are less important in this world -- it's more infantry vs. air-power, since infantry can themselves from above.

Anti-griffon tactics might include bolas and scorpion-fired nets. If there's gunpowder, fireworks might become anti-air rockets. It'd be interesting to see a setting where rockets were developed long before canons or artillery.

-- -- --

Their dress would depend entirely on how well their feathers protect them from the local climate. People generally covered up for protection rather than modesty -- the latter is a modern luxury.

A griffon might wear very light garments to indicate wealth, or relatively heavy accessories to indicate strength. A person wearing a thick golden chain necklace would walk around slightly off-balance; a griffon wearing the equivalent would need to be relatively much stronger in order to fly. Contrast that with a light single-layer silk veil with tiny diamond bangles -- perhaps white, to signal that the wearer didn't need to fly through dust on his way here.

5. - Top - End - #5

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by the_david View Post
    Just because nudism isn't socially excepted in our culture, doesn't mean that it wouldn't be socially excepted in every culture.
    There are quite a few human cultures that didn't wear clothes. You don't need them if the weather is nice all the time.

6. - Top - End - #6

Mercedes Lackey has written some excellent novels on intelligent gryphons. Since she and her husband keeps birds of prey, they are very detailed. If you get the chance, read them.

1. The Black Gryphon
    2. The White Gryphon
    3. The Silver Gryphon
    How do you keep a fool busy? Turn upside down for answer.
    ˙ɹǝʍsuɐ ɹoɟ uʍop ǝpısdn uɹnʇ ¿ʎsnq ןooɟ ɐ dǝǝʞ noʎ op ʍoɥ

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by MrZJunior View Post
    I don't think that nudism would be accepted for intelligent creatures.
    An intelligent flying creature would want to reduce weight as much as possible. Anything they wear would have to be very light-weight.
    How do you keep a fool busy? Turn upside down for answer.
    ˙ɹǝʍsuɐ ɹoɟ uʍop ǝpısdn uɹnʇ ¿ʎsnq ןooɟ ɐ dǝǝʞ noʎ op ʍoɥ

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by shawnhcorey View Post
    An intelligent flying creature would want to reduce weight as much as possible. Anything they wear would have to be very light-weight.
    And very aerodynamic, or at least... Aero-neutral? If that's a thing. Loose weaves that allow air to pass through or tight fitting garments with a minimum of drag would be a must.

Truthfully, communication would be a much larger issue than clothing... And I just remembered thri-kreen, dragonborn, aarakocra, yuan-ti... Nevermind.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

What roles would they play?
    I think it depends on how they fit into society. If they are truly nomads, wandering where the herds are, then they may not value education as much as the ability to hunt and find food. If they come from a primitive society, then they might only adhere to a strict code of conduct centered around keeping the tribe alive and functioning.

If they come from a civilized society, then perhaps they value education and perhaps can even become mystics, using magic to do incredible things like super speed, or see in absolute darkness, theists, serving a God and gaining magic powers through the deity, animists, controlling spirits to create spell like abilities, or sorcerers, studying vast tomes of arcane knowledge to cast orbs of fire against their opponents.

Another thing to consider, is how common are they in the world? Will everyone think of them as sentient beings who should be carrying a white flag or a branch from a tree held aloft (how would they indicate this?) if they mean no harm? Or do they only exist in one region?

Do they have a benevolent reputation or a frightening one? Who trains them to be warriors, thieves, clerics, or wizards?

Why are they subservient to a King? Would they recognize that power structure? or would they just make fun of it? "You say you're a Lord because you own land? How can anyone own the land or the sky. Perhaps you own the people, and not the land. You're ways are indeed strange human..."

What would they wear?
    Let's start with the world building stage. We start with the base pantheon, which is usually responsible for how worldviews are shaped. Shall we start with Christian creation and look at it as a sample?

Adam and Eve ate from the tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil and they saw that they were without clothing and decided to cover up since they were ashamed of their nudiness. There could be different versions of this story to be sure, but if we go with this one, then that raises a question.

Does this same concept apply to Gryphons? Wouldn't they not want to express themselves by showing their amazing plummage. The impressive bulk of muscle in their chest and thighs would be covered by wearing anything more than a kerchief.

Is the Christian God or one similar to it the main god in the pantheon, is there more than one culture with a different pantheon, is the pantheon of gods and saints the same for Gryphons as it is for men? I guess it would depend on the sources of magic.

Keep in mind that I give the example above as the impetus as to why humans might wear clothing. Other cultures with other creation stories might have a different perspective and if Gryphons share the same view as cosmopolitan humans and see themselves as being "unclothed" then you have to consider the efficacy of the garments available to them, would they hinder flight?

Is there a magical plot element that allows for plate armor? Capes? Livery? Hardened Leather? Bezainted armor? Helmets?

I know I haven't answered your questions, and instead raised many more. However, I think once you think it through, I feel you will have your answers. I have to say, that the thought of Intelligent Gryphons as part of a campaign is definitely an awesome idea. I think I'd want to play a Gryphonish Ranger. Gryphonish? Is that right? lol!

That's about it...
    Madness is the fortress of the mind - A. Umbral

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Griffons are notoriously violent and lazy. They pull no plows and grow no food, they rarely own property and hunt illegally on other people's lands. They steal and eat children, they scout and spy for other countries, and they all look the same. The only reason the Griffons haven't killed us all is their born laziness.

The only jobs a Griffon will do are scout and carry messages, and they not only have a racial monopoly on those jobs it is well known they consider themselves of one country and pass supposedly secret messages to their elders. The Griffon Elders tell each griffon what to do and they work industriously to ingratiate themselves with rulers and so worm into our society and manipulate it.

~Beliefs of an angry man on the street.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Thank you all for your replies, they gave me a lot to think about. I'm sorry it took so long for me to get back, finals happened and this got lost in the shuffle.

On the clothes thing, I realize that I spoke poorly. In my setting public nudity is not acceptable for griphons in polite, civilized society. Clothes can signal where a particular catbird is from. They're also a way for griphons who live in society to distinguish themselves from their less well heeled counterparts.

Beyond cultural reasons it makes it easier for everyone to remember NPCs. I can remind players "you've me this griphon before, he's the one who was wearing that stupid hat," or something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    Chariot Driver might be a higher status in a society where the mount out-ranks the archer on his back.

Stirrups might be invented earlier, to enable even more stable mounted archery.

Imagine greek fire being dropped from dive-bomber griffons. Goodbye enemy boats. The aerie-roost carrier will dominate naval warfare.

Do horses fear griffons? Can a few griffons dive-shriek a cavalry charge into disorder? If so, perhaps cavalry are less important in this world -- it's more infantry vs. air-power, since infantry can themselves from above.

Anti-griffon tactics might include bolas and scorpion-fired nets. If there's gunpowder, fireworks might become anti-air rockets. It'd be interesting to see a setting where rockets were developed long before canons or artillery.

-- -- --

Their dress would depend entirely on how well their feathers protect them from the local climate. People generally covered up for protection rather than modesty -- the latter is a modern luxury.

A griffon might wear very light garments to indicate wealth, or relatively heavy accessories to indicate strength. A person wearing a thick golden chain necklace would walk around slightly off-balance; a griffon wearing the equivalent would need to be relatively much stronger in order to fly. Contrast that with a light single-layer silk veil with tiny diamond bangles -- perhaps white, to signal that the wearer didn't need to fly through dust on his way here.
    These are all fantastic suggestions, I think I will incorporate many of them. I especially like the idea of anti-air rockets, very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Umbral View Post
    I know I haven't answered your questions, and instead raised many more. However, I think once you think it through, I feel you will have your answers. I have to say, that the thought of Intelligent Gryphons as part of a campaign is definitely an awesome idea. I think I'd want to play a Gryphonish Ranger. Gryphonish? Is that right? lol!

That's about it...
    I'm planning on using one of those old school throwback systems for this world. So old school that races act more like classes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Why be Evil when you can be Lawful?