New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 45 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2035363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1486
  1. - Top - End - #1321
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Peelee's Chicken Fried Random Banter Thread #220

So... guess who agreed to design a roleplaying system from scratch in the next 2 weeks? My players are good, and I don't have to think about the setting at all (it's my father's work, and he's ... thorough), but this may have been a poor plan.
    Quotes!
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    BY THE HEAVENS! Dimonite! You are even more awesome than I thought!
    Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    *high fives!*
    That was awesome, made me smile.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Witch-King View Post
    THIS aberrant, ancient evil ain't no playa! I'm gonna take care of my little Meduthids and my Spawnling Mama! Besides which--the Old Ones know the Elder Brain keeps pestering me about giving it some Grandspawnlings...
    The Neutralizer - my 3.5 class that attempts to make wizards less OP.
    Fantastic dragonpuppy drawn by my sister in the ancient times.

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dimonite View Post
    So... guess who agreed to design a roleplaying system from scratch in the next 2 weeks? My players are good, and I don't have to think about the setting at all (it's my father's work, and he's ... thorough), but this may have been a poor plan.
    I mean, it depends on how deep you want to go mechanically and how well explained you want it to be. I can write up a 'system' in five minutes by jotting down character traits and the resolution mechanic on a piece of paper, I've also spent about five years continuously restarting drafts of two systems because of various computer failures and documents becoming tangled messes (I'm currently staying away from 'rules heavy' for draft number thirteen or so, planning a hard limit of fifty sides of A4). So if your players are okay with things being a bit rough, unfinished, and with abilities being potentially altered between sessions it's very doable, if potentially a lot of work.

And I just stayed up until 2 o'clock writing a cover letter so I can send a job application before I leave for work in the morning. I'm going to be so tired tomorrow.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Titan in the Playground

When going light you can sometimes get away with it. I've come in well under two weeks just fine before, though I had the luxury of starting right after an epiphany that took out a big chunk of the design work.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

4. - Top - End - #1324
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Um, why? What's wrong with the 437,000 (may be slight exaggeration) existing RPG systems that you don't want to use any of them?

5. - Top - End - #1325

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I mean, it depends on how deep you want to go mechanically and how well explained you want it to be. I can write up a 'system' in five minutes by jotting down character traits and the resolution mechanic on a piece of paper, I've also spent about five years continuously restarting drafts of two systems because of various computer failures and documents becoming tangled messes (I'm currently staying away from 'rules heavy' for draft number thirteen or so, planning a hard limit of fifty sides of A4). So if your players are okay with things being a bit rough, unfinished, and with abilities being potentially altered between sessions it's very doable, if potentially a lot of work.
    I mean, I'm keeping it simple for the most part - almost everything's going to work off of a skills system - but I think "things being altered between sessions" is probably going to be the standard.

And I just stayed up until 2 o'clock writing a cover letter so I can send a job application before I leave for work in the morning. I'm going to be so tired tomorrow.
    Do healthy things!

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    When going light you can sometimes get away with it. I've come in well under two weeks just fine before, though I had the luxury of starting right after an epiphany that took out a big chunk of the design work.
    Yeah, the setting was originally designed to be used in a new system my dad would design, but his players made him use a modified AD&D instead of the original thing he wanted to do, so I do have the benefit of working off a lot of his ideas. And the central concept of the magic system is "you don't need a spell list, just have magic be a skill and set a DC for things the character wants to do"

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Um, why? What's wrong with the 437,000 (may be slight exaggeration) existing RPG systems that you don't want to use any of them?
    • I'm fulfilling my father's vision!
    • My players wanted something deeply flexible
    • We're all kinda broke
    • I said "it will feed my already massive hubris if this works" and they were like "go for it dude."
    Quotes!
    Spoiler
    Show

*high fives!*
    THIS aberrant, ancient evil ain't no playa! I'm gonna take care of my little Meduthids and my Spawnling Mama! Besides which--the Old Ones know the Elder Brain keeps pestering me about giving it some Grandspawnlings...

6. - Top - End - #1326
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Based on wanting magic as a skill, perhaps allow the use of magic to augment skills in a free form fashion, but a failed roll leads to stress that can impact other tasks?

Similar idea to Exhaustion mechanic of 5e, if you know that one.

7. - Top - End - #1327
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I mean, I'm keeping it simple for the most part - almost everything's going to work off of a skills system - but I think "things being altered between sessions" is probably going to be the standard.

Do healthy things!

Yeah, the setting was originally designed to be used in a new system my dad would design, but his players made him use a modified AD&D instead of the original thing he wanted to do, so I do have the benefit of working off a lot of his ideas. And the central concept of the magic system is "you don't need a spell list, just have magic be a skill and set a DC for things the character wants to do"

• I'm fulfilling my father's vision!
    • My players wanted something deeply flexible
    • We're all kinda broke
    • I said "it will feed my already massive hubris if this works" and they were like "go for it dude."
    Now the magic skill just does everything. If you go that way I suggest breaking it into skill schools, and give a flat number of uses a day. Enchantment covers all social skills, conjuration crafting, etc.

They are still mechanically better then mundane skills but giving them a limited uses a day keeps them from totally overshadowing mundane skills.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

8. - Top - End - #1328

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    Based on wanting magic as a skill, perhaps allow the use of magic to augment skills in a free form fashion, but a failed roll leads to stress that can impact other tasks?

Similar idea to Exhaustion mechanic of 5e, if you know that one.
    I don't know much about 5e, but I'll look into that! Right now the plan was essentially to work off a "spell point" system that basically lets you spend points as augments, while being able to do cantrip-level stuff indefinitely (with a possible addition allowing a caster with no spell points left to spend hp as a substitute).

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Now the magic skill just does everything. If you go that way I suggest breaking it into skill schools, and give a flat number of uses a day. Enchantment covers all social skills, conjuration crafting, etc.

They are still mechanically better then mundane skills but giving them a limited uses a day keeps them from totally overshadowing mundane skills.
    The setting already race-gates magic types by element (I guess I haven't been going super in-depth here; I don't want to turn Banter into a hombrew design thread), and the "spell point" system would also make magic less useful for doing everything at once.
    Quotes!
    Spoiler
    Show

*high fives!*

9. - Top - End - #1329
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

[*]We're all kinda broke
    Use of the D20 system as laid out in the SRD is basically free--you only have to pay for stuff that's actually WotC brand, like beholders and mind flayers. So, you could use that as your base and add whatever you like to it.

10. - Top - End - #1330
    Titan in the Playground

So a friend seems to think there's something wrong with me, they've told me to look into Tinder because people there are dtf or something

I mean, I'm all for Diabolically Tackling Furries, but it seems to be weird for such an interest to be widespread. Yes, I know what it means, my friend explained it sheet I got it confused with the dtf I know, but I wanted to share the joke.

I have also, in the past month, been told I need to lose weight, that my face is too pretty for makeup, and that I should stop being shocked that I'm applying for jobs with higher salaries than my friends with better qualifications*. I know weird people.

* It boils down to a mixture of exact fields and that while my degree isn't great my final year project stands out as unique, and I should hopefully have a couple of new projects to add to it in the next year or so.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

11. - Top - End - #1331
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I have also, in the past month, been told I need to lose weight, that my face is too pretty for makeup, and that I should stop being shocked that I'm applying for jobs with higher salaries than my friends with better qualifications.
    Speaking as someone who also needs to lose weight and whose face is too pretty for makeup, I agree you should stop being shocked, and also to keep applying. All you need is for it to work once!
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-02-18 at 09:39 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

12. - Top - End - #1332

PirateCaptain

So a friend seems to think there's something wrong with me, they've told me to look into Tinder because people there are dtf or something

I mean, I'm all for Diabolically Tackling Furries, but it seems to be weird for such an interest to be widespread.
    No, no, it means that they're ditbutylfuranated. Where normal people have water as the polar solvent moving nutrients around their body, people on tinder have ditbutylfuran. It makes it kind of hard to share a meal with them, but makes for a great anecdote at parties.
    Last edited by SZbNAhL; 2019-02-19 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Autocorrect was autoincorrect

13. - Top - End - #1333

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Use of the D20 system as laid out in the SRD is basically free--you only have to pay for stuff that's actually WotC brand, like beholders and mind flayers. So, you could use that as your base and add whatever you like to it.
    I mean, when I say I'm building this system "from scratch," I'm obviously stealing a bunch of stuff from D&D. Like, I don't mill my own flour when I make a cake from scratch.
    Quotes!
    Spoiler
    Show

*high fives!*

14. - Top - End - #1334
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Speaking as someone who also needs to lose weight and whose face is too pretty for makeup, I agree you should stop being shocked, and also to keep applying. All you need is for it to work once!
    I mean, the main problem with applying more is having the energy, my bosses seem convinced that they can put me on forty hours minimum

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    No, no, it means that they're ditbutylfuranated. Where normal people have water as the polar solvent moving nutrients around their body, people on tinder have ditbutylfuran. It makes it kind of hard to share a meal with them, but makes for a great anecdote at parties.
    At least it won't be any weirder than the time I dated an alien

I mean, when I say I'm building this system "from scratch," I'm obviously stealing a bunch of stuff from D&D. Like, I don't mill my own flour when I make a cake from scratch.
    This is why Fudge is so good, it's essentially a toolkit for building your preferred system. It's just not that easy getting a physical copy for a decent price, but it was released as a free pdf

Show

15. - Top - End - #1335
    Titan in the Playground

You say it's obvious, but it's really not. Not least because there are a lot of other sources to steal from.

This is why Fudge is so good, it's essentially a toolkit for building your preferred system. It's just not that easy getting a physical copy for a decent price, but it was released as a free pdf
    As is Cortex Prime, and Fate now that the toolkits are out. That option space is expanding, and while Fudge remains my favorite it's worth pointing out the others.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

16. - Top - End - #1336
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    As is Cortex Prime, and Fate now that the toolkits are out. That option space is expanding, and while Fudge remains my favorite it's worth pointing out the others.
    Sure, although Fate comes under Fudge to me, and I didn't want to try giving a list of toolkit systems, so I just grabbed the one I'm most familiar with.

Show

17. - Top - End - #1337
    Ettin in the Playground

I mean, when I say I'm making a cake "from scratch," I'm obviously using Gold Medal flour. Like, I don't pulp my own paper when I build an RPG system from scratch.
    Spoiler: Gold Medal is the only flour I could be using{.} There are no other brands, in this spoiler or otherwise. Ignore the evidence your eyes present.
    Show
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2019-02-19 at 06:21 PM.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

18. - Top - End - #1338

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    I mean, when I say I'm making a cake "from scratch," I'm obviously using Gold Medal flour. Like, I don't pulp my own paper when I build an RPG system from scratch.
    Spoiler: Gold Medal is the only flour I could be using{.} There are no other brands, in this spoiler or otherwise. Ignore the evidence your eyes present.
    Show
    Cake flour is a thing, and is better for cakes than all-purpose flour.

19. - Top - End - #1339
    Ettin in the Playground

Cake flour is a thing, and is better for cakes than all-purpose flour.
    I'm sure all the brands in that image produce both.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

20. - Top - End - #1340
    Dwarf in the Playground

I got into a Top 5 PhD school. Holy crap, I'm so happy right now.

I left undergrad and worked as a quant for two years. Getting an opportunity like this after leaving academia is incredibly lucky.

21. - Top - End - #1341
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by maruahm View Post

I left undergrad and worked as a quant for two years. Getting an opportunity like this after leaving academia is incredibly lucky.
    Wow congratulations!

22. - Top - End - #1342

Right on. Congratulations!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

23. - Top - End - #1343
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wow congratulations!
    Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
    Right on. Congratulations!
    Thanks! I'd like to say I worked hard for this, but luck had just as much to do with it. My research match with the POI was the influencing factor, I suspect.

A lot of the incoming class is going to be filled with some seriously impressive people. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm the bottom percentile. Doesn't matter; got in, they can't kick me out now.
    Last edited by maruahm; 2019-02-19 at 08:17 PM.

24. - Top - End - #1344

That's fantastic! Good luck, future doc!

25. - Top - End - #1345
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Thanks! I'd like to say I worked hard for this, but luck had just as much to do with it. My research match with the POI was the influencing factor, I suspect.

A lot of the incoming class is going to be filled with some seriously impressive people. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm the bottom percentile. Doesn't matter; got in, they can't kick me out now.
    Luck has just as much to do with all success. You had to impress a lot of people to get where you are, don't sell yourself short or give yourself impostor syndrome.

I'm not actually certain what your doctorate is from your posts, mathematics?

26. - Top - End - #1346
    Dwarf in the Playground

That's fantastic! Good luck, future doc!
    Thanks! I can't wait to say, "You can trust me, I'm a doctor."

Luck has just as much to do with all success. You had to impress a lot of people to get where you are, don't sell yourself short or give yourself impostor syndrome.

I'm not actually certain what your doctorate is from your posts, mathematics?
    Thanks for the kind words!

And yep, my area is Mathematics, how'd you guess? My research specialty is Stochastics and its applications to the applied sciences.

27. - Top - End - #1347
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Thanks! I can't wait to say, "You can trust me, I'm a doctor."

Thanks for the kind words!

And yep, my area is Mathematics, how'd you guess? My research specialty is Stochastics and its applications to the applied sciences.
    You said you were a quant, that seemingly lent itself to mathematics (or maybe economics?) but I didn't want to assume.

Stochastics seems way out of my ability to readily follow, but the applications seem numerous.

28. - Top - End - #1348
    Ettin in the Playground

how'd you guess?
    Hard to work as a quant without that particular background.

In some weird news, I stumbled upon a Lovecraft-themed venture capital company today, including RŽlyeh and "doom of mankind" references.

29. - Top - End - #1349
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

You said you were a quant, that seemingly lent itself to mathematics (or maybe economics?) but I didn't want to assume.

Stochastics seems way out of my ability to readily follow, but the applications seem numerous.
    The quantity of applications is probably a plus.

30. - Top - End - #1350
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
    Hard to work as a quant without that particular background.
    Aha. Yeah, there's a popular image of a mathematician or physicist becoming a quant. I'd say it's true for maybe 20% of quants, so the image definitely has a basis in reality. But most quants came from finance or computer science, at least where I worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
    In some weird news, I stumbled upon a Lovecraft-themed venture capital company today, including RŽlyeh and "doom of mankind" references.
    "We are the foremost provider of financing for startups within the Hi-Tech sphere across Europe, USA, Asia, and R'lyeh."

"Our responsibilities across Venture Capital Management fall within a vertical specialising in Fundamental Analytics and Quantitative Development, Quantitative Modelling, Model Validation, and Doomsday Rituals."

"Submit your resume and join us today! C̷̞̥t̹̱h̵͔u҉͎͈͚̟̻l̬͉̝͎̦̫ḫ̨u͔̹̣̞ F̰͖ͅh̴t͔a̙̥̗̲g̶̙͕̩̭͖̭n̺̭͓͙͙."