New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Variant: Grim-and-Gritty 5e (updated with new feats)

There was a popular variant of 3.5 edition known as "Epic 6th" or "E6," where character growth was virtually capped at 6th level. The goal was to control for imbalance and keep the game in a semi-realistic range. That's not as big a concern in 5e, between bounded accuracy and generally improved character balance, but there are still some areas where things get goofy-- ever-increasing HP pools, yo-yo healing, full healing after a night's sleep, and so on. So! Here's my take on how to hack 5e into a more grounded form.

Apprentice Characters
    Optionally, a campaign can begin at level 0, before the characters have entirely finished their training. Zero-level characters must pick which class they are working towards; during their apprentice phase, they have all their normal proficiencies, but no class features except for Unarmored Defense. If they would normally learn cantrips at 1st level, they gain those as well. However, after casting five cantrips, they cannot cast any more until they have finished a short or long rest.

After gaining 150 experience points, they advance to level 1, gaining the remainder of their 1st level class features.

Veteran Characters
    At 6th level, characters reach Veteran status. They no longer gain new levels; instead, for every 10,000xp they earn, they gain a new ability score increase.

As a special case, Fighters, Paladins, Rangers, and Rogues may replace their normal 6th level class features with those they normally get at 7th level.

New Feats
    In addition to the usual options, as characters advance in power they gain access to special feats-- Paragon Feats, which require an ability score of 20, and Capstone Feats, which require 5 levels in the appropriate class.

Spoiler: Paragon Feats
    Show

Legendary Strength
    Prerequisite: Strength 20
    You gain the following benefits:
    • You have Advantage on Strength checks
    • You count as one size category larger when determining your carrying capacity and how large a foe you can grab or shove.
    • You gain a +5 bonus on Strength checks made to lift, push, break, or otherwise manhandle an object.

Special: You may only take one Paragon Feat

Legendary Dexterity
    Prerequisite: Dexterity 20
    • You have Advantage on Dexterity checks
    • You may use your Dexterity score to determine how far you can jump, and for ability checks based on climbing or jumping.
    • You gain a climb speed equal to your land speed, and you may balance on objects as narrow as one inch without having to make a check. When determining if an object can support your weight, you are counted as only half as heavy as you actually are.

Legendary Constitution
    Prerequisite: Constitution 20
    • You have Advantage on Constitution checks
    • When you would have a condition or level of exhaustion imposed on you, you may choose to ignore it until the end of your next turn. You can only ignore one effect at a time; if you choose to ignore a new one, the previous effect occurs immediately.

Legendary Intelligence
    Prerequisite: Intelligence 20
    • You have Advantage on Intelligence checks
    • When making an ability check to which one could apply a proficiency bonus, you may add your Intelligence bonus to your roll. You may choose to do so after you have seen the result of your roll but before the DM announces the result. Once you have used this ability three times, you cannot do so again until you complete a long rest.

Legendary Wisdom
    Prerequisite: Wisdom 20
    • You have Advantage on Wisdom checks
    • When making a saving throw, you may choose to make a Wisdom saving throw in place of the usual one. Once you have used this ability three times, you cannot do so again until you complete a long rest.

Legendary Charisma
    Prerequisite: Charisma 20
    • You have Advantage on Charisma checks
    • As long as you are able to speak, you may use the Help action as a bonus action to aid an ally within 30ft who can hear you.

Spoiler: Capstone Feats
    Show

Advanced Barbarian
    Prerequisite: Barbarian 5
    You may use your Rage ability one additional time before taking a long rest, and your bonus damage increases by 1.
    Special: You may take this feat multiple times. The benefits stack.

Advanced Bard
    Prerequisite: Bard 5
    You gain one additional use of your Bardic Inspiration ability. In addition, select one skill you are proficient in. You may add twice your Proficiency bonus to checks made using that skill.

Advanced Cleric
    Prerequisite: Cleric 5
    Select one of the following spells--Commune, Death Ward, Divination, Freedom of Movement, Greater Restoration, Hallow, or Locate Creature. You may cast your chosen spell as a ritual. Once you have done so, you may not do so again until you have completed a long rest.
    Special: You may select this feat multiple times, choosing a new spell each time. You may still only cast one of your chosen spells as a ritual before completing a long rest

Advanced Druid
    Prerequisite: Druid 5
    Select one of the following spells: Awaken, Commune with Nature, Conjure Woodland Beings, Control Winds, Polymorph, Stone Shape, or Stoneskin. You may cast your chosen spell as a ritual. Once you have done so, you may not do so again until you have completed a long rest.
    Special: You may select this feat multiple times, choosing a new spell each time. You may still only cast one of your chosen spells as a ritual before completing a long rest

Advanced Moon Druid
    Prerequisite: Moon Druid 5
    Select one Beast with a CR of 2 or lower. You may use your Wild Shape ability to transform into it, even if it has a fly speed.
    Special: You may take this feat multiple times. Each time you do, you may select a new Beast.

Advanced Fighter
    Prerequisite: Fighter 5
    You gain one additional Fighting Style. When you use your Second Wind ability, you recover an additional 3 hit points.

Advanced Monk
    Prerequisite: Monk 5
    You gain an additional point of Ki, and your martial arts damage die increases in size by one step-- from 1d6 to 1d8, 1d8 to 1d10, and so one.
    Special: You may take this feat multiple times. The benefits stack. If your martial arts damage die is 1d12, each additional application of this feat instead grants +1 damage with unarmed strikes.

Advanced Paladin
    Prerequisite: Paladin 5
    You gain one additional Fighting Style and one additional first level spell slot.

Advanced Ranger
    Prerequisite: Ranger 5
    You gain one additional Fighting Style and one additional first level spell slot.

Advanced Rogue
    Prerequisite: Rogue 5
    You deal an additional 1d6 damage with your sneak attack. In addition, select one skill you are proficient in. You may add twice your Proficiency bonus to checks made using that skill.

Advanced Sorcerer
    Prerequisite: Sorcerer 5
    You gain one additional Sorcery Point and one additional metamagic option.

Advanced Warlock
    Prerequisite: Warlock 5
    You learn one additional invocation.
    Special: You may take this feat multiple times, learning a new invocation each time.

Advanced Wizard
    Prerequisite: Wizard 5
    Select one of the following spells: Arcane Eye, Conjure Minor Elemental, Dream, Fabricate, Hallucinatory Terrain, Leomund's Secret Chest, Modify Memory, Mordenkainen's Faithful Hound, Mordenkainen's Private Sanctum, Polymorph, Scrying, or Stoneskin. You may cast your chosen spell as a ritual. Once you have done so, you may not do so again until you have completed a long rest.

Also from previous feat projects...

Versatile Caster
    Prerequisite: The ability to cast at least one spell

Upon choosing this feat, you learn one cantrip from your class list (or the Cleric list in the case of Paladins, or the Druid list in the case of Rangers). If you prepare spells, you may prepare an additional two spells at once; if you have a list of spells known, you may immediately learn two additional spells of first level or higher from your class list, which do not count towards your total number of spells known.
    Special: You may take this feat multiple times, learning new spells and/or preparing more spells each time.

Resting and Injuries
    Characters cannot expend hit dice during short rests, only during long. Long rests do not restore hit points at all unless hit dice are spent.

Whenever a character is reduced to zero hit points, they gain a level of Exhaustion, using the revised table:
    1. -10ft speed, ranged weapon and spell ranges halved.
    2. Disadvantage on Ability Checks
    3. Disadvantage on attack rolls and saves; opponents have advantage on saves against your abilities
    4. Hit point maximum halved
    5. Immobilized
    6. Death

Long rests restore one level of Exhaustion, as does the Lesser Restoration spell.
    Last edited by Grod_The_Giant; 2020-03-24 at 08:07 AM.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Variant: Grim-and-Gritty 5e

Wouldn't that mean that those supposedly epic characters are going to keep being murdered by Giants, dragons, and other big damage dealers, and this no matter which point in their career they're at?

An increased number of ASIs doesn't make up for having a 6th level health or proficiency bonus, especially when it's still capped at 20.
    Last edited by Unoriginal; 2018-12-17 at 03:18 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    Wouldn't that mean that those supposedly epic characters are going to keep being murdered by Giants, dragons, and other big damage dealers, and this no matter which point in their career they're at?

An increased number of ASIs doesn't make up for having a 6th level health or proficiency bonus, especially when it's still capped at 20.
    Well, yes. That's the point-- you never hit superhero power levels, and that big scary giant or dragon is always big and scary. 6th level represents the peak of human ability.
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show

Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.

Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

Half starting health means you're going to see pit traps taking people out. Many, many basic weapons are capable of pumping out more than the 4 hp your wizard would have, or even the 8 hp fighter.

1st level remains more than lethal enough, unless you really want to run these guys through a grim and gritty training wheels dungeon I fear they will explode.

I do really like the hit dice shift to long rest. Simply not having that reset button available for health is going to make it much more difficult.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Well, yes. That's the point-- you never hit superhero power levels, and that big scary giant or dragon is always big and scary. 6th level represents the peak of human ability.
    Fair enough, if that's the playstyle you favor, but in that case you probably shouldn't call those characters "Epic".
    Last edited by Unoriginal; 2018-12-17 at 03:28 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Makes perfect sense to me.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by VonKaiserstein View Post
    Half starting health means you're going to see pit traps taking people out. Many, many basic weapons are capable of pumping out more than the 4 hp your wizard would have, or even the 8 hp fighter.

1st level remains more than lethal enough, unless you really want to run these guys through a grim and gritty training wheels dungeon I fear they will explode.

I do really like the hit dice shift to long rest. Simply not having that reset button available for health is going to make it much more difficult.
    ...you're right. I'm removing that bit now.

Fair enough, if that's the playstyle you favor, but in that case you probably shouldn't call those characters "Epic".
    Yeah, fair point. How's "Veteran?"
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

That's the point. The epic blademaster of a more grounded series has no business being able to just nonchalantly take on a dragon or giant, and probably should get killed if they end up in anything but the most advantageous fight against them (probably because that's how they picked said fight), and the idea behind this hack is to get D&D to fit that a bit better.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Yeah, fair point. How's "Veteran?"
    Sounds good, and is accurate.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    That's the point. The epic blademaster of a more grounded series has no business being able to just nonchalantly take on a dragon or giant, and probably should get killed if they end up in anything but the most advantageous fight against them (probably because that's how they picked said fight), and the idea behind this hack is to get D&D to fit that a bit better.
    (I'm also working on a high-power variant that increases level-based scaling and adds skill unlocks. I... may have, like, two sourcebooks worth of homebrew either written or in the works :/ I... may have a problem.)
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

(I'm also working on a high-power variant that increases level-based scaling and adds skill unlocks. I... may have, like, two sourcebooks worth of homebrew either written or in the works :/ I... may have a problem.)
    Makes sense to me. After all there's also the uncovered territory where an epic blademaster cuts through dragons like grass, followed by the entire mountain behind them.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

-- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

It's referred to as Epic 6 because the threats you face at 6th level would still be Epic for most fantasy worlds. It's recalibrating expectations. Fighting off a Chimera in an Arthurian fantasy world would be a legendary feat. These characters are still "Epic".

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mephnick View Post
    It's referred to as Epic 6 because the threats you face at 6th level would still be Epic for most fantasy worlds. It's recalibrating expectations. Fighting off a Chimera in an Arthurian fantasy world would be a legendary feat. These characters are still "Epic".
    "Epic" is generally a vague term, not least because it initially applied to story structure more than anything else. Le Morte d'Arthur is pretty close to an epic cycle, and the Epic of Gilgamesh is an epic. Both are pretty ridiculously high powered, but the extent between them varies pretty massively.

-- ChubbyRain

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mephnick View Post
    "Epic" is generally a vague term, not least because it initially applied to story structure more than anything else. Le Morte d'Arthur is pretty close to an epic cycle, and the Epic of Gilgamesh is an epic. Both are pretty ridiculously high powered, but the extent between them varies pretty massively.
    As I'm sure you're both aware the term 'epic' here references the 'epic' level of 3.5, where past the level cap you could still gain abilities and face more powerful foes, but the nature of progression changed greatly. Hence 'epic 6' because every 'level' after six used the epic system instead of the regular one.

In 5e there is no 'epic' system, so perhaps Veteran is a better term.

Either way, I think that this gameplay would really be unfun with the current set of ASIs and feats. You'd get to Veteran level 5 or something and then everyone would have resilient, GWM, PAM, X-armor master, and/or magic initiate and it'd reduce character differentiation.

Essentially, its that bane of fun RPG design, the 'steadily reducing choices' problem where you picked everything you really wanted at level 4 and now at Veteran 6, you guess you can pick up tough or something.

So ultimately if you wanted to implement this, you'd need new options that open up at higher Veteran levels. Veteran feats, feats with prerequisites, etc. etc. Still, its a fun idea.

I would also use the gritty rest variant with this. Because I always do.
    Make Martials Cool Again.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

Well, Strangebloke, a partial solution to that particular issue (lack of character differentiation) would be to not allow feats in this version of the game. Yes, you'd get less customization options, but that would fit well with the theme of "forcing characters to be very careful and really plot out their fights" which this mode of gameplay seems to be supporting.

All in all, I think that the idea of reducing the level cap like this is an excellent way to get the feeling of "low fantasy" (or really, high realism) that simply isn't going to come from reducing the amount of magic items that come into play.

While it won't be everyone's cup of tea, the capacity for anything to do damage to even high level characters (assuming the character wasn't a ridiculous munchkin) is one of 5e's greatest strengths already. It's very nice to see an idea to emphasize and really bring out that particular line of thinking to its logical extent. I will certainly be curious as to whether Bounded Accuracy makes this particularly frustrating, long-term, but at the same time, I think that player and DM skill could minimize the potential problems.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drakkoniss View Post
    Well, Strangebloke, a partial solution to that particular issue (lack of character differentiation) would be to not allow feats in this version of the game. Yes, you'd get less customization options, but that would fit well with the theme of "forcing characters to be very careful and really plot out their fights" which this mode of gameplay seems to be supporting.

All in all, I think that the idea of reducing the level cap like this is an excellent way to get the feeling of "low fantasy" (or really, high realism) that simply isn't going to come from reducing the amount of magic items that come into play.

While it won't be everyone's cup of tea, the capacity for anything to do damage to even high level characters (assuming the character wasn't a ridiculous munchkin) is one of 5e's greatest strengths already. It's very nice to see an idea to emphasize and really bring out that particular line of thinking to its logical extent. I will certainly be curious as to whether Bounded Accuracy makes this particularly frustrating, long-term, but at the same time, I think that player and DM skill could minimize the potential problems.
    Well, then you just end up with a veteran 6 character who has three 18s, one 20, and two stats he really doesn't care about.

People played e6 because it was a way to sort of avoid ridiculous feature bloat, where you could do a million things but on a few well, and normal things couldn't challenge you at all. But it also worked because it let people continue to gain useful and cool abilities. You could create custom 'epic' 4th level spells, create all-new feat chains, etc. Getting to level 6 wouldn't be then end of the campaign, it'd be when the thing really started hitting its stride.

E6 existed alongside and partially because of the epic ruleset. With no epic ruleset, its really not fun to just say "Don't gain any more features after level 6."

If that's what you're doing, the game is basically over after level six. Everything past that is just accumulation of magic bling. This isn't to say that the game is all about progression, but it is a major theme of the game.
    Last edited by strangebloke; 2018-12-18 at 12:01 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drakkoniss View Post
    Well, Strangebloke, a partial solution to that particular issue (lack of character differentiation) would be to not allow feats in this version of the game. Yes, you'd get less customization options.
    A solution to "lack of character differentiation" is to REDUCE customization options? Did you actually mean to say that?
    Junior, half orc paladin of the Order of St Dale the Intimidator: "Ah cain't abide no murderin' scoundrel."

Tactical Precepts: 1) Cause chaos, then exploit it; 2) No plan survives contact with...(sigh)...my subordinates.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

I don't think overlapping feats would actually be that big an issue. Or at least no more of one than it would be in normal games (a Str Fighter and a Barbarian in normal play are both just as likely to take GWM as in this version of the rules). The main difference I see is this system could give you significantly more ASIs, thus prompting a faster arrival at "all our Str warriors have the same feats" but again if it was going to be a problem, it was going to be a problem.

Also, slight typo gives the impression you can only get one stat to 20, not that individual stats can never be raised to over 20.

All in all, this seems like it will be a fine addition of optional rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

Indeed I did, Laserlight. My rationality was this: if one does not allow feats in such a scenario, it not only makes things a little dicier (in that one does not get access to, say, features that increase one's HP, reduce damage, or whathaveyou), but then one is forced to focus more on refining one's strategic thinking and playstyle, for the pressure would be higher for the player.

After reading Strangebloke's reply, I certainly do agree, though: that's not quite the option to go with. If one retains the ability score increases at the rate that was described (instead of denying them, or spreading them out, perhaps), then one is likely going to see a whole lot of optimization in the key abilities of the character. Furthermore, I agree: one would have to figure out some better way to introduce progress into the campaign, generally-- additional feats, some system of weapon or armor progression, possibly the accruing of secondary characters (followers in the same vein of original D&D's system) in the roster, or whathaveyou. This ought perhaps be the focus of the development of this system.

Mind you, I could see the feat ban working if other factors were involved: a more staggered system of ASI's, combined with, say, small bonuses to HP, but this would just be drawing the problem out over a greater length of time. I'm not certain that it would actually solve anything (and may in fact go against the intended flavor of the game, in that particular case).

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

Planetar

Isn't grim and gritty 5e basically code for 'I don't like 5E, I want to play a different game'.

Because there are other and better tabletop games that are intentionally functional around grim, gritty and survival gameplay.

5E isn't.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, your stuff is usually well-written and well-considered. So those houserules might turn out to be very good and maybe more people would screw them onto their 5e games.

Makes sense to me. After all there's also the uncovered territory where an epic blademaster cuts through dragons like grass, followed by the entire mountain behind them.
    A darn shame, that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadesh View Post
    Isn't grim and gritty 5e basically code for 'I don't like 5E, I want to play a different game'.

Because there are other and better tabletop games that are intentionally functional around grim, gritty and survival gameplay.

5E isn't.
    Eh, the rules are basically E6 for 5e instead of 3.5e. And seeing as 5e is already E6 stretched out for 20 levels and the only thing that doesn't feel like E6 is high-level spells, then I'd say that Grod succeeded in writing a very short, very easy fix that would probably be a good variant rule in the DMG anyway, because it does better what 5e does best and doesn't do at all what 5e does terribly.
    Last edited by Ignimortis; 2018-12-18 at 03:50 AM.
    Elezen Dark Knight avatar by Linklele
    Favourite classes: Beguiler, Scout, Warblade, 3.5 Warlock, Harbinger (PF:PoW).

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by strangebloke View Post
    Either way, I think that this gameplay would really be unfun with the current set of ASIs and feats. You'd get to Veteran level 5 or something and then everyone would have resilient, GWM, PAM, X-armor master, and/or magic initiate and it'd reduce character differentiation.
    That's definitely a concern--especially in games without feats. Do you have any suggestions about alternate means of post-level-cap advancement? Bringing back capstone feats as someone suggested isn't a bad idea, perhaps, but...

I would also use the gritty rest variant with this. Because I always do.
    You could, but it might actually be more disruptive here. The recovery rules were meant to force a slowdown already-- it'll probably take a couple of days to recover from a rough fight. (Then again, I guess "it takes weeks to heal up from nearly dying" is certainly realism)

Quote Originally Posted by Luccan View Post
    Also, slight typo gives the impression you can only get one stat to 20, not that individual stats can never be raised to over 20.
    That actually wasn't a typo-- I was thinking that it would help differentiate characters. "Sure, I'm strong and tough, but my wisdom is a thing of legend," type of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadesh View Post

5E isn't.
    5e is much more widespread than any of those. I, personally, am I proponent of "pick the system that fits best," but that's because I'm a huge rules nerd and pick things up fast. On the other hand, I've got friends who've played multiple 5e campaigns and still need help with their attack rolls every round. There's a virtue of having a soft option.

Plus, hacking rulesets is fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Ignimortis View Post
    Well, your stuff is usually well-written and well-considered. So those houserules might turn out to be very good and maybe more people would screw them onto their 5e games.
    Aww, shucks
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

rather than starting at level 0, why not just start them with absolutely NOTHING, no armour, no weapons, no tools, no casting focus, no spell book, no nothing.. save for a loincloth.

i agree with the HP/rest rule, i would also add you can't regain HD on a long rest if you spend any HD on that rest.

not sure about capp'ing characters to level 6 though... that basically means no spells above 3rd, EKs and ATs no higher than 1st.. maybe stop gaining HP, but those high level class features are what make them epic..

i just feel that sayying nope you stop at level 6, pick a feat/asi every level instead, is the same as sayying congrats your level 20 have some ribbons instead, but your not level 20.. at most your just entering mid T2, raise that 6 to 9 and i would be alot happier.. but i feel like your robbing players of too much by stopping at 6 / 20.

just my 2p though :)

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

The reason for stopping at 6th IS so that you're capped at Tier 2, where the widest range of iconic enemies are still usable. 6th specifically makes an excellent stopping point--almost every class gets their second subclass feature as a capstone, or you can splash in a level of another class and still hit 3rd level spells or extra attack.
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

That's definitely a concern--especially in games without feats. Do you have any suggestions about alternate means of post-level-cap advancement? Bringing back capstone feats as someone suggested isn't a bad idea, perhaps, but...
    Well, I mean, its hard, because you don't want to break bounded accuracy but you also don't want to force every character to be super wide and diverse in their skill set.

So anyway, I think the answer here would be "veteran feats" Which unlike other feats have prereqs. Perhaps you can only take one every three veteran levels as well or something similar.

So, uh:
    Lightning Reflexes
    Requires level 9 and 16 DEX
    Your vast experience allows you to strike more quickly than anyone expects. Once per round, you can make an opportunity attack without using a reaction.

Combat Patrol
    Requires level 9
    When you are wielding a one-handed or light weapon, as a bonus action on your turn you can designate a region to patrol. This region extends ten feet from your person. If a person attempts to leave this space you can, as a reaction, move to them and hit them with an opportunity attack.

Combat Insight
    Requires level 9, WIS 16
    Every creature has a vulnerability. As an action, you can study a creature, parsing out its weaknesses. If you do so, until the start of your next turn all attacks you make against that creature have advantage, and all attacks it makes against you have disadvantage.

Legendary Commander
    Requires level 12, CHA 16
    Once per short rest, you can rally your troops. As an action, you can inspire a number of creatures equal to twice your level who you can see and who can understand you. Creatures inspired in this way can use your proficiencies instead of their own until the end of your next turn.

So stuff like that, that's really thematic and can be built to, but gives players something to look forward to at higher levels.

You could, but it might actually be more disruptive here. The recovery rules were meant to force a slowdown already-- it'll probably take a couple of days to recover from a rough fight. (Then again, I guess "it takes weeks to heal up from nearly dying" is certainly realism)
    Well, I would probably just ignore your bit about resting and use my own rules, since having multiple conflict rest rule 'fixes' is pretty disruptive, as you say.

Short rests are eight hours, long rests are a week of downtime.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Colossus in the Playground

First off, excellent work as usual, Grod.

Second off, I'd perhaps consider allowing all stats to hit 20, but ONE stat to hit 22. A Mountain Dwarf Fighter, for instance, can hit a 20 in Strength and 18 in Constitution by level 6 normally (by starting in 17 with both) so they'd be starting on tertiary stats with their first capped ASI. Plus it allows for just a TOUCH of Superhuman, since 20 is considered the regular max. Doesn't even have worries about DCs getting too high-max a save can be (before magic items) is 17 with a stat at 22.

Third off, I'd definitely consider adding more feats, to give you more options of what to do.

Some examples...

Spoiler: Feats
    Show
    Expert
    Requires 39,000 XP minimum
    Increase your proficency bonus to +4.

Really Damn Tough
    Requires the Tough feat, Con 16+, and level 6
    Increase your maximum HP by 6. In addition, the first time you drop to zero hit points per [SHORT/LONG?] rest, you do not gain a level of exhaustion.

Master of Arcana/the Divine
    Requires casting stat 18+, the ability to cast third level arcane/divine spells, and level 6
    You gain a single fourth level spell slot, and a single fourth level spell known from your class's list.

Fightmaster
    Requires Str or Dex 18+, Extra Attack, and level 6
    Once per [SHORT/LONG?] rest, you may enter a state of intense battle focus without taking an action. For the next minute, whenever you take the Attack action, you may make three attacks instead of two.

Fourth... Shouldn't this be in the homebrew forum?
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I mean, its hard, because you don't want to break bounded accuracy but you also don't want to force every character to be super wide and diverse in their skill set.

So anyway, I think the answer here would be "veteran feats" Which unlike other feats have prereqs. Perhaps you can only take one every three veteran levels as well or something similar.

So, uh:
    Lightning Reflexes
    Requires level 9 and 16 DEX
    Your vast experience allows you to strike more quickly than anyone expects. Once per round, you can make an opportunity attack without using a reaction.

Combat Patrol
    Requires level 9
    When you are wielding a one-handed or light weapon, as a bonus action on your turn you can designate a region to patrol. This region extends ten feet from your person. If a person attempts to leave this space you can, as a reaction, move to them and hit them with an opportunity attack.

Combat Insight
    Requires level 9, WIS 16
    Every creature has a vulnerability. As an action, you can study a creature, parsing out its weaknesses. If you do so, until the start of your next turn all attacks you make against that creature have advantage, and all attacks it makes against you have disadvantage.

Legendary Commander
    Requires level 12, CHA 16
    Once per short rest, you can rally your troops. As an action, you can inspire a number of creatures equal to twice your level who you can see and who can understand you. Creatures inspired in this way can use your proficiencies instead of their own until the end of your next turn.

So stuff like that, that's really thematic and can be built to, but gives players something to look forward to at higher levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    First off, excellent work as usual, Grod.

Second off, I'd perhaps consider allowing all stats to hit 20, but ONE stat to hit 22. A Mountain Dwarf Fighter, for instance, can hit a 20 in Strength and 18 in Constitution by level 6 normally (by starting in 17 with both) so they'd be starting on tertiary stats with their first capped ASI. Plus it allows for just a TOUCH of Superhuman, since 20 is considered the regular max. Doesn't even have worries about DCs getting too high-max a save can be (before magic items) is 17 with a stat at 22.

Third off, I'd definitely consider adding more feats, to give you more options of what to do.

Some examples...

Spoiler: Feats
    Show
    Expert
    Requires 39,000 XP minimum
    Increase your proficency bonus to +4.

Really Damn Tough
    Requires the Tough feat, Con 16+, and level 6
    Increase your maximum HP by 6. In addition, the first time you drop to zero hit points per [SHORT/LONG?] rest, you do not gain a level of exhaustion.

Master of Arcana/the Divine
    Requires casting stat 18+, the ability to cast third level arcane/divine spells, and level 6
    You gain a single fourth level spell slot, and a single fourth level spell known from your class's list.

Fightmaster
    Requires Str or Dex 18+, Extra Attack, and level 6
    Once per [SHORT/LONG?] rest, you may enter a state of intense battle focus without taking an action. For the next minute, whenever you take the Attack action, you may make three attacks instead of two.

Fourth... Shouldn't this be in the homebrew forum?
    All of these are pretty good, I'd say. Gives you a bit more numbers and options while preserving the low-level feel due to HP staying low.
    Elezen Dark Knight avatar by Linklele
    Favourite classes: Beguiler, Scout, Warblade, 3.5 Warlock, Harbinger (PF:PoW).

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Mmm... I think I'm looking at potentially 3 categories of Veteran feats:
    • Capstone feats that provide a partial level-up. Casters might get a single level 4 spell known/spell slot; the Paladin, their level 7 subclass aura, stuff like that.
    • Paragon feats, requiring a score of 20 in a given ability score. Maybe more focused on noncombat stuff?
    • Extension feats, granting more spell slots, more hit die (but not hit points), more uses of stuff like ki and rage, etc.
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Veteran Characters
    At 6th level, characters reach Veteran status. They no longer gain new levels; instead, for every 5000xp they earn, they gain a new ability score increase. No matter how many ability score increases a character gains, they can only increase one ability score to 20.

As a special case, Fighters, Rangers, and Rogues replace their normal 6th level class features with those they normally get at 7th level.
    If I may suggest changing the wording of this, as it currently reads, a veteran character may only improve one ability score to 20, and all the others are presumably capped at 19 (what happens if the character already has multiple 20's from rolled stats, racial bonuses, and the level 4 ASI I haven't a clue). I think you want it to say "as normal, a character may not use an ability score improvement to increase an ability score above 20".

Whenever a character is reduced to zero hit points, they gain a level of Exhaustion, using the revised table:
    1. -10ft speed, weapon and spell ranges halved.
    I would suggest making that be "ranged weapon and spell ranges halved". As it stands now, you could get the reach of your longsword reduced to 2.5 feet (actually probably shorter than the sword itself), and since you always round down in 5e, good luck playing on a grid...
    Last edited by Potato_Priest; 2018-12-18 at 11:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Potato_Priest View Post
    If I may suggest changing the wording of this, as it currently reads, a veteran character may only improve one ability score to 20, and all the others are presumably capped at 19 (what happens if the character already has multiple 20's I haven't a clue). I think you want it to say "as normal, a character may not use an ability score improvement to increase an ability score above 20".
    That's actually Grod's intent. I disagree with it, but that's what he wants-only ONE stat at 20.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show