New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Yet another thread on Hilgya's alignment

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    His entire portfolio is to let stuff run their course to see who survives and who doesn't? Laziest god ever.
    Goddess, actually. Her portfolio also includes conflict and competition ing enral. plus, she actually disdains murder or violence that doesn't have a purpose. Plus, she, surprisingly, gronks the concept of Love, albeit only in the sense of "the desire to help others survive." And, while pacifists and people who put pleasure over their lives offend her, so too do people who kill their opponents without giving them the chance to fight back. Every creature deserves a chance to fight back, even if they don't deserve to win.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    plus, she actually disdains murder or violence that doesn't have a purpose.
    Well that doesn't make much sense for a Natural Selection goddess.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Well that doesn't make much sense for a Natural Selection goddess.
    Murder for survival is OK. Murder for no purpose? Makes no sense. Putting pleasure above business.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Titan in the Playground

Goddess, actually. Her portfolio also includes conflict and competition ing enral. plus, she actually disdains murder or violence that doesn't have a purpose. Plus, she, surprisingly, gronks the concept of Love, albeit only in the sense of "the desire to help others survive." And, while pacifists and people who put pleasure over their lives offend her, so too do people who kill their opponents without giving them the chance to fight back. Every creature deserves a chance to fight back, even if they don't deserve to win.
    That mes more sense. Except the that last part. Stealth killing is a perfectly valid form of survival. Hell that's how predator works most of the time.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

5. - Top - End - #305

Murder for survival is OK. Murder for no purpose? Makes no sense. Putting pleasure above business.
    And what does that have to do with natural selection? A remarkably fit species who gets wiped out by a volcano makes no sense and die out for no purpose, and yet. Natural selection has a lot of dumb luck attached to it, and "fittest" is nowhere near the best term.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ogre in the Playground

And what does that have to do with natural selection? A remarkably fit species who gets wiped out by a volcano makes no sense and die out for no purpose, and yet. Natural selection has a lot of dumb luck attached to it, and "fittest" is nowhere near the best term.
    I think we've established this is a world where gods exist. This is a world where you CAN straight-up stop volcanoes, if you have the right magic. And she doesn't really stop it, she just doesn't like it. As I said, same with other people who disadvantage their own survival/the survival of their species. One example: A set of creatures who are about to get wiped out. Since they're gonna die anyway, she decides to show up and fight them. Won't change anything, since they can't beat a goddess in combat, but it at least gives them a chance to fight back, if futilely, rather then face death as passive victims.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

Of course it is. The species fittest to the lava strives. "Fit" is always relative to the environment and natural selection is never over: whenever something modifies the environment, such as a volcanic eruption the cards are dealt again, that's all.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-01-03 at 06:58 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ogre in the Playground

Of course it is. The species fittest to the lava strives. "Fit" is always relative to the environment and natural selection is never over: whenever something modifies the environment, such as a volcanic eruption the cards are dealt again, that's all.
    This is true.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Liquor Box View Post
    That's speculative, and I think not true. Belkar didn't work for Xykon prior to receiving the curse, nor after the curse was gone.
    It's a reference to this page (and the preceding one), where Belkar says he would have accepted Tsukiko's offer if he realized Xykon could remove his Mark of Justice.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ettin in the Playground

This is true.
    It's really not. "Survival of the fittest" is probably more accurately termed "survival of those who meet the minimum standards for reproduction."

11. - Top - End - #311
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    It's really not. "Survival of the fittest" is probably more accurately termed "survival of those who meet the minimum standards for reproduction."
    That's not a term that's a periphrase. That's like saying physics is more accurately termed "incomplete model of the different laws (adn their iteractions) who dictates the behaviour of matter".
    Forum Wisdom

12. - Top - End - #312
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by King of Nowere View Post
    I present a revision on the character of hilgya:

she never fled her husband, and she never would. ivan was not her husband. Oh, they technically got married, but the marriage was never consummed, and this provides instant invalidation of the marriage (I'm sure it does in at least some legal code)
    That's right, no matter how much you deny it.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #313
    Banned

That's not a term that's a periphrase. That's like saying physics is more accurately termed "incomplete model of the different laws (adn their iteractions) who dictates the behaviour of matter".
    Only if you accept that "survival of the fittest" is itself an accurate or rigorous term. It isn't. It is itself a paraphrase of "natural selection," and a latter-day paraphrase at that.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Troll in the Playground

"Survival of the fittest" is a very imprecise concept, which boils down to basically a post hoc explanation. However muddy it is, it is useful for debunking concepts of species having an a priori discernible destiny or place in the universe. For that purpose, a bit of post hoc perspective can be positively useful.

An aside...

The traditional definition of "fit" is (1a) about suitability, in the spirit of clothing, (1b) made ready, in the spirit of clothing trimmed/tailored to a specific person, or (2) "by fits", in the meaning of seizures.

Early discussions of Darwinian evolution included the image of a new species fitting into the ecosystem via displacing partially or fully other species, like a new shim/wedge hammered into a space already occupied by other shims/wedges. The shim that fits that particular ecological space better tends to prevail.

"Fit" or "fittest" in terms of athleticism is a post-Darwinian concept, quite likely a distortion of the Darwinian idea. The Oxford English Dictionary shows its first example in 1869.

OTOH there were earlier usages around the idea of fit as having been made more suitable for a purpose (from a less suitable state), so making an athletic team or military squad "fit" through training would probably have been understandable enough in earlier days, but it would not have had quite the same meaning as today. Today, if I say the team/squad "trained to become fit" it would be interpreted as primarily or only about physical qualities of robustness, rather than a combination of teamwork and skills and strength.

"Survival of the fittest" is now often used as a tautology, to prop up nebulous moral theories. It had an almost precise meaning 100-150 years ago, but no longer.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Only if you accept that "survival of the fittest" is itself an accurate or rigorous term. It isn't. It is itself a paraphrase of "natural selection," and a latter-day paraphrase at that.
    Right, thanks. I think people take that paraphrase and assume "fittest" means "optimal" (because, well, that's closer to what it actually means as a word). But natural selection isn't about optimization; it's just about clearing the bar for survival.

16. - Top - End - #316

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Right, thanks. I think people take that paraphrase and assume "fittest" means "optimal" (because, well, that's closer to what it actually means as a word). But natural selection isn't about optimization; it's just about clearing the bar for survival.
    Well, clearing the bar for reproduction, to be fair. And while it certainly sucks, if being murdered senselessly means you clear that bar, then that's natural selection baby!

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, clearing the bar for reproduction, to be fair. And while it certainly sucks, if being murdered senselessly means you clear that bar, then that's natural selection baby!
    Right, obviously that's correct; I was a bit rushed this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Snails View Post
    "Survival of the fittest" is now often used as a tautology, to prop up nebulous moral theories. It had an almost precise meaning 100-150 years ago, but no longer.
    Yeah, this is a major reason I push back against the term; I find the moral theories justified by it generally atrocious (and based on an inaccurate understanding of the term to boot).

18. - Top - End - #318
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

if a volcano wipe out the entire population, then the popualtion was not fit. the fittest population was the one that spread around and colonized a large area, so that losing some in an eruption didn't cause an extinction.

And "survival of the fittest" is actually the most accurate term, as much as it is vague, exactly because it is vague. "Fit" means just "whatever it was that gave an advantage", regardless of what it is. Often it can only be justified retroactively, but that's simply because nature and the environment are so unpredictable. Something changes, and suddenly what was an illness becomes the key to survival.

A goddess of natural selection that encourages figthing and dislikes pacifism is therefore a corruption of the real thing, either intentional or made in ignorance - as most laymen still confuse "the fittest" with "the best", or strongest, or whatever. I'm thinking of leeky windstaff "druids always pick the hard way; it encourages natural selection"; the only selection it encourages is to select out those who always pick the hard way.
    Refusing to fight is a perfectly legitimate strategy. Take grass: it never fights anyone, it just grows fast and reproduce quickly, and because of that it covers most of the planet. Figthing fair is a terrible strategy; a predator needs to eat regularly, and cannot risk to take an invalidating injury virtually every day.

And since someone mentioned the moral theories inspired by misunderstanding of the "survival of the fittest" concept, their main weakness is that they encourage ruthlesness, selfishness, and foul play. Definitely not the traits we want to encourage in a society.
    But actually, what "the fittest" means depends on the environment. So the job of society is to actually create an environment where those with traits deemed desirable can thrive. things like selflessness and honesty can thrive in the kind of society that makes it advantageous to have them.
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

19. - Top - End - #319
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    That's right, no matter how much you deny it.
    Not really. my piece uses correct facts taken out of context to make a lie. it's true that in many legal systems the marriage could have been cancelled because of ivan's clear mental disability. it's not true that hilgya cared about ivan, or didn't want to take advantage of him, or run away to protect him. hilgya did not told durkon "they tried to marry me, but the marriage is void because my husband is retarded". No, she said "I run away from my marriage after tying to poison my husband", which means that she never even considered the "this is not fair to ivan" angle. if nothing else, ivan's disability makes it even worse for hilgya to try to poison him.
    after that, running away from the marriage was pretty much the only justified thing she did.
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Banned

Not really. my piece uses correct facts taken out of context to make a lie. it's true that in many legal systems the marriage could have been cancelled because of ivan's clear mental disability. it's not true that hilgya cared about ivan, or didn't want to take advantage of him, or run away to protect him. hilgya did not told durkon "they tried to marry me, but the marriage is void because my husband is retarded". No, she said "I run away from my marriage after tying to poison my husband", which means that she never even considered the "this is not fair to ivan" angle. if nothing else, ivan's disability makes it even worse for hilgya to try to poison him.
    after that, running away from the marriage was pretty much the only justified thing she did.
    You and what medical training, and what patient-hours, and what diagnostic guidelines, are coming to this conclusion about a "clear mental disability?"

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

You and what medical training, and what patient-hours, and what diagnostic guidelines, are coming to this conclusion about a "clear mental disability?"
    Hilgya seems to think that Ivan is mentally impaired, due to an “undiagnosed brain injury.”

You are aware that this is a fictional comic strip penned by a non-medical professional. As such, expecting strict medical accuracy in the depiction of neurological impairments is hardly realistic. Moreover, Ivan isn’t human, and we know his anatomy is different from that of a human - if nothing else, he has two livers. So expecting real-world medical expertise to be relevant in diagnosing Ivan the fictional dwarf’s precise neurological state borders on the absurd.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

you should take that one with martianmister. she's the one who took my joke to argue that the marriage was void in the first place because ivan is too dumb. and i argued that it's irrelevant to the discussion about hilgya, because her actions were never motivated by any kind of concern for ivan.
    so, if you want to argue for or against ivan being disabled or simply dumb, i'm out of that discussion

23. - Top - End - #323
    Troll in the Playground

you should take that one with martianmister. she's the one who took my joke to argue that the marriage was void in the first place because ivan is too dumb.
    Where did I do that?
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #324
    Barbarian in the Playground

Not really. my piece uses correct facts taken out of context to make a lie. it's true that in many legal systems the marriage could have been cancelled because of ivan's clear mental disability. it's not true that hilgya cared about ivan, or didn't want to take advantage of him, or run away to protect him. hilgya did not told durkon "they tried to marry me, but the marriage is void because my husband is retarded".
    Well, to be fair, she justified him in retrospect, as being trapped like her, both by traditions and rules and by a maybe undiagnosed brain injury, basically saying that initially she leashed against him because she didn't see him as a fellow prisoner.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1114.html

25. - Top - End - #325
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

is there a possibility Girard Draketooth changed alignment after adventuring, bc I don’t have a problem with interpreting Hilgya as CE in a vacuum but I find it hard to reconcile him being able to maintain a CN alignment with her going in the CE box. That seems like a big piece of evidence that she is CN.

26. - Top - End - #326

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalFailure View Post
    is there a possibility Girard Draketooth changed alignment after adventuring, bc I don’t have a problem with interpreting Hilgya as CE in a vacuum but I find it hard to reconcile him being able to maintain a CN alignment with her going in the CE box. That seems like a big piece of evidence that she is CN.
    What evil actions have we seen Girard do?

27. - Top - End - #327
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

What evil actions have we seen Girard do?
    Rigging the false Gate coordinates to kill Soon et al. stands out to me, but I can't think of anything else.
    This signature was written by me, Aveline, to indicate that this message was written by me, Aveline.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Titan in the Playground

It's unclear if the whole "seducing strangers and then kidnapping the child" was his idea or not.
    Forum Wisdom

29. - Top - End - #329
    Colossus in the Playground

If it was, then either 1) yes, he changed alignment to evil, or 2) I'm getting on the "we shouldn't discuss alignment here" train, not because I believe the alignment system is inherently negative, but because Rich's alignment classifications of his characters would thus have gone from "sometimes north of where Kish would put them" to "what...the...hell..."
    Last edited by Kish; 2019-01-27 at 11:16 AM.

30. - Top - End - #330

Quote Originally Posted by Aveline View Post
    Rigging the false Gate coordinates to kill Soon et al. stands out to me, but I can't think of anything else.
    I'll accept that, fair point. For what it's worth, I do think Girard likely turned Evil after the Order of the Scribble broke, but there's not a lot to back up that theory. All we know for sure is he wasn't Evil while he was in the OotS (the other one).