New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: We Be Heistin’: The Bear’s WDH Game [IC]

Quote Originally Posted by Coconut1864 View Post
    "Thank you Scratchy. I'm Hans, by the way. It's a pleasure to meet you. Now Scratchy, we think your compatriots took someone who looks just like this man," he says as he motions to Renaer. "We believe they think he stole something from you. Do you know where such a man might be held?"
    Scratchy's demeanor is improving quickly. He nods many times as Hans addresses him. In response to Hans' question he repeats what he had said earlier, "Follow the yellow signs in the sewers." He happily looks at Hans and nods his head excitedly. You get the feeling he is genuinely trying to be helpful.

Now let's see how well this stranger's story aligns with Volo's.

"Renaer, was anyone else with you two that night?"
    Renear looks to Hans and uses one hand to scratch his chin. "No, when I got to the Dragon that night Floon was drinking and gambling alone. He did mention that he had been drinking with that fool Volo, but he had left before I arrived." He looks at you curiously, you can see contemplation swirling in his eyes. "Is...is that who sent you? Volo?"

2. - Top - End - #242

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaaaaats View Post
    Dengar turns his attention to Renaer
    "can you give a run down of what exactly happened, and why you were in this seemingly bad part of town?"
    Scratchy looks quite uncomfortable at Dengar's comment and moves to stand on the other side of Hans.

Renaer looks to Dengar curiously. "My friend, if you know anything about enjoying yourself in Waterdeep, then you know that the finer establishments serve the same dreck for extravagant prices and offer much less exciting company. The nobles in this city are quite stale and boring...as are the various establishments they tend to enjoy."

"Of course, I had not planned on staying in the storage closet of a warehouse these past few nights. The Zhents took us here after roughing us up in the alley outside of the Dragon."

3. - Top - End - #243
    Halfling in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

“Yes, let us be on our way. We can talk as we go” Renaer replies. “But first, I believe I have only been introduced to sir Dengar.” He bows low “I am Renaer Neverember.”
    "Ahh yes, I'm sorry. I was a little...taken by the moment." With visible effort, Squig smiles wide at Renaer. "My name is Squigwiggle Quigglethwip. You may call me Squig."

Renaer looks to Dengar curiously. "My friend, if you know anything about enjoying yourself in Waterdeep, then you know that the finer establishments serve the same dreck for extravagant prices and offer much less exciting company. The nobles in this city are quite stale and boring...as are the various establishments they tend to enjoy."
    Squig's happy demeanor starts to return as she skips alongside the group listening. "My favorite place so far has been Mr. Xoblob's purple palace!" The thought of Xoblob's cheers Squig up completely.

Squig contemplates the connections between the Zhents, Xanathar's Guild, Renaer and his father, and Volo and Floon. This hidden treasure - how many know of its existence? How many seek it? I wonder if Volo knew about the treasure, knew that Floon hung out with Renaer, knew that if we found Floon we may find other clues as well. Or maybe Floon himself knew about the treasure and got mixed up with the Zhents. Oh gosh Squig, there you go again down the rabbit hole. Let's see what the evidence provides.

"We did hear of Floon's disappearance from Volo. What do you know of him? And your father's stolen gold, how many would believe it existed?" she asks Renaer, carefully watching his response.

4. - Top - End - #244

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by mila88 View Post
    [COLOR="#800080"]
    Squig's happy demeanor starts to return as she skips alongside the group listening. "My favorite place so far has been Mr. Xoblob's purple palace!" The thought of Xoblob's cheers Squig up completely.

"We did hear of Floon's disappearance from Volo. What do you know of him? And your father's stolen gold, how many would believe it existed?" she asks Renaer, carefully watching his response.
    "Well met, Squig. I have passed by Xoblob's before on the way to the Dragon, but never bothered to go inside" Renaer replies to Squig.

"I suppose I should thank Volo the next time I see him. Had he not sent you to look for Floon I would likely be in the hands of the Xanathar Guild right now." Renaer's expression turns from one of hope to slight annoyance.

"Volo...is a real blowhard. Always talking about how much he knows and how much he has studied the 'various creatures of the realms!'" Renaer says, imitating Volo's voice. "A real braggart, that one" he says, before moving on to other topics.

"As for the gold my father allegedly embezzled, I have no idea if it is true or not, as my father and I have not spoken in years. With all of the violence between the Zhentarim and the Xanathar Guild, somebody certainly seems to believe the stories. For all I know, the Stone of Golorr might not even exist." Squig watches intently as he speaks. He seems to be trustworthy and to be telling the truth; there are no signs he is lying or withholding information from you.

5. - Top - End - #245

PaladinGuy

pfft "Prisoner" Dengar says as he rolls his eyes a bit "I wouldn't get too hopeful for a blossoming relationship." He then pats Hans on the shoulder with a smirk and a quick HA
    "Hey, easy," Hans says sternly to Dengar. He turns to Scratchy and rolls his eyes flippantly. "Don't worry about him."

"As for the gold my father allegedly embezzled, I have no idea if it is true or not, as my father and I have not spoken in years. With all of the violence between the Zhentarim and the Xanathar Guild, somebody certainly seems to believe the stories. For all I know, the Stone of Golorr might not even exist."
    Hans turns to Renaer. "Well as we speak, an innocent man remains under the watch of dangerous people under false allegations. Perhaps you can look to set up counsel with a 'Zentarim' or a 'Xanathar' to find out more about this stone and this gold you speak of, but it sounds like Floon could be in serious danger right now. Maybe we can find more answers in these sewers, even."

6. - Top - End - #246

HalflingWizardGirl

Squig giggles at Renaer's impression of Volo. She could see how Volo might seem that way, but she also didn't blame him considering how much he really did know and the significant contributions of his guides.

Hans had a good point. The goal was to find Floon, and hopefully they were headed in the right direction. Curiosity baited her to continue to Renaer, "So the Zhentarim and Xanathar Guild have been fighting a lot, huh? When did it all start?"
    Last edited by mila88; 2019-03-15 at 07:36 AM.

7. - Top - End - #247

BlueKnightGuy

"Hey, easy," Hans says sternly to Dengar. He turns to Scratchy and rolls his eyes flippantly. "Don't worry about him."
    "Yeah, don't worry about me. I'm not going to hurt your feathered friend. I already got the other for trying to skewer us first. And i got a new polishing cloth from it. Good day, today."

"Ah, good to know where to save money, but no i do not know much about this place. I have not been here very long and only just met up with this band after a troll interrupted our bar fight. Volo then appeared and and asked us to find Floon. No mention of you however. Could Volo have something to do with any of this? It is quite convenient as soon as we dispatch a troll that Volo appears and needs a group that are a capable of just that

8. - Top - End - #248

MindFlayer

Hans turns to Renaer. "Well as we speak, an innocent man remains under the watch of dangerous people under false allegations. Perhaps you can look to set up counsel with a 'Zentarim' or a 'Xanathar' to find out more about this stone and this gold you speak of, but it sounds like Floon could be in serious danger right now. Maybe we can find more answers in these sewers, even."
    Scratchy looks genuinely relieved when Hans shields him from Dengar.

“Set up counsel with one of those gangs?” Renaer replies incredulously. “I don’t know anything about this stone or the stolen gold. I’d prefer to stay out of such ludicrous affairs concerning my father. My utmost concern is helping Floon; that’s the only reason I’m going into the sewers.”

Squig giggles at Renaer's impression of Volo. She could see how Volo might seem that way, but she also didn't blame him considering how much he really did know and the significant contributions of his guides.

Hans had a good point. The goal was to find Floon, and hopefully they were headed in the right direction. Curiosity baited her to continue to Renaer, "So the Zhentarim and Xanathar Guild have been fighting a lot, huh? When did it all start?"
    “The Xanathar Guild has been an underground operation in Waterdeep for as long as anyone can remember. Of course, they’re not recognized by the city as a guild.” Renaer replies to Squig.

“The Zhentarim are quite different. Mostly a network of mercenaries that help each other from what I’ve seen, but they’re more organized than you would think. They’ve never had much of a presence in Waterdeep until a few months ago. The Xanathar Guild seem to have taken offense, perhaps concerned that the Zhents are encroaching on their turf. Their scuffles were mostly kept to back alleys at first, but it definitely seems to be escalating.”

"Yeah, don't worry about me. I'm not going to hurt your feathered friend. I already got the other for trying to skewer us first. And i got a new polishing cloth from it. Good day, today."

"Ah, good to know where to save money, but no i do not know much about this place. I have not been here very long and only just met up with this band after a troll interrupted our bar fight. Volo then appeared and and asked us to find Floon. No mention of you however. Could Volo have something to do with any of this? It is quite convenient as soon as we dispatch a troll that Volo appears and needs a group that are a capable of just that
    “Volo can barely negotiate publishing deals; I doubt that flub has anything to do with this.” Renaer says, with a small chuckle. “An opportunist, that one. It makes sense that he would approach you for help, if you did indeed kill a troll.”
    Last edited by The Big Bear; 2019-03-16 at 12:52 PM.

9. - Top - End - #249

HalflingWizardGirl

”Hmm, I wonder what brought the Zhentarim to Waterdeep in the first place? Where were they from before?” Squig wondered if the rumors of the former Lord’s gold had traveled beyond the city walls. Perhaps this is what brought the Zhents, a group of mercenaries would certainly have interest in hidden treasure.

She shook her head, dismissing the thoughts for now. “Maybe we will discover more once we find Floon. But for now I agree that we should move along quickly, hopefully we reach him in time!”

Squig pulls her cloak around tight and takes a few deep breaths of fresh air. Enjoy this. It’s gonna stink down there!

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Squig is ready to enter the sewers.

10. - Top - End - #250

BlueKnightGuy

"Something has these groups stepping up operations. If the Zhents only recently came in then there's more to this."
    Dengar, upon noticing Squig taking deep breaths assesses that might not be a bad idea and takes a few himself. He picks up his new cleaning cloth and gives a test but reels back realizing it has a tinge of the sewer the Kenku must've come from.
    At least it's not gonna be a surprise...
    *coughing* "Here, * take a whiff of this,* * prepare yourselves *" Deep breaths, even this side of town smells better now.

11. - Top - End - #251

PaladinGuy

Hans, who had started to lose focus during the (what he would call) long, drawn out banter, perks up at the sound of a closing conversation, and quits picking at the engravings on his sword's handle and taps Scratchy on the shoulder.

"Alright Scratchy, let's do this." Hans instinctively, brazenly struts to the front of the group. He looks back at the kenku. "Scratchy, you stay towards the back with the young gnome here, while you direct us where we need to go," he says as he bobs his head towards Squig. "Squig, say hi to Scratchy. Scratchy, Squig."

She's a friendly one, he'll feel safe next to her, Hans considered. He found himself taking a liking to their new captive, and wanted to earn his good faith.

Hans waves Dengar up to the front with him, and stares at him blankly. "You shouldn't stick things in your face like that, you'll develop mucus-eye."

12. - Top - End - #252

MindFlayer

”Hmm, I wonder what brought the Zhentarim to Waterdeep in the first place? Where were they from before?” Squig wondered if the rumors of the former Lord’s gold had traveled beyond the city walls.

She shook her head, dismissing the thoughts for now. “Maybe we will discover more once we find Floon. But for now I agree that we should move along quickly, hopefully we reach him in time!”
    “The Zhentarim’s Black Network extends throughout the realm, with Waterdeep one of the few places they don’t have a strong presence in. It is indeed curious why they haven’t tried to establish themselves here sooner...” Renaer replies to Squig.

He stops walking and scratches his chin in contemplation before continuing to walk. “Perhaps the Xanathar Guild has kept them from doing so...it’s possible their fued is much older than the search for this Stone of Golorr...” he says, before growing a little annoyed.

“I only care to save Floon. Blast the Zhents, the Xanathar Guild, and my damn father; I’ll not get caught up in the business of gangs and my father’s own poor decisions.”

"Something has these groups stepping up operations. If the Zhents only recently came in then there's more to this."
    “If this stone they’re fighting over exists and my father did indeed steal money from the city, then I would expect that might be why their fight is spilling into the streets” Renaer says to Dengar.

"Alright Scratchy, let's do this." Hans instinctively, brazenly struts to the front of the group. He looks back at the kenku. "Scratchy, you stay towards the back with the young gnome here, while you direct us where we need to go," he says as he bobs his head towards Squig. "Squig, say hi to Scratchy. Scratchy, Squig."
    Scratchy looks at Hans and hopefully replies “let’s do this,” perfectly mimicking Hans’ voice and raising a hand with his thumb up. Hans’ confidence seems to inspire Scratchy. He looks to Squig and says “hi...Squig” using Hans’ voice and mixing words he has heard Hans use. He points to himself and says “Scratchy” in Hans’ voice.

Hans waves Dengar up to the front with him, and stares at him blankly. "You shouldn't stick things in your face like that, you'll develop mucus-eye."
    Hans and Renaer watch as Dengar smells the dirty cloth in his hand. The smell is truly putrid, not only from the dank smell of the sewer that saturates the cloth, but from the copper and sulfur smell of the dried kenku blood he had previously wiped from his blade. Dengar reels slightly before offering the cloth to the others.

“No thanks” Renaer says, shaking his head. “And you’re friend is right, you should be more careful.”

It looks like Dengar has mostly recovered, but the smell lingers in the back of his throat and he can’t control what comes next. His face turns a light red as he bends over and vomits on the side of the street.

The group travels through the streets of the Dock Ward for about ten minutes. Leading the group, Scratchy eventually stops walking and points to a metal manhole cover set in the pavement.

13. - Top - End - #253

HalflingWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Bear View Post
    “The Zhentarim’s Black Network extends throughout the realm, with Waterdeep one of the few places they don’t have a strong presence in. It is indeed curious why they haven’t tried to establish themselves here sooner...” Renaer replies to Squig.

He stops walking and scratches his chin in contemplation before continuing to walk. “Perhaps the Xanathar Guild has kept them from doing so...it’s possible their fued is much older than the search for this Stone of Golorr...” he says, before growing a little annoyed.

“I only care to save Floon. Blast the Zhents, the Xanathar Guild, and my damn father; I’ll not get caught up in the business of gangs and my father’s own poor decisions.”

“If this stone they’re fighting over exists and my father did indeed steal money from the city, then I would expect that might be why their fight is spilling into the streets” Renaer says to Dengar.
    "And probably why they captured poor Floon. I suppose we'll find out soon enough."

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Bear View Post
    Scratchy looks at Hans and hopefully replies “let’s do this,” perfectly mimicking Hans’ voice and raising a hand with his thumb up. Hans’ confidence seems to inspire Scratchy. He looks to Squig and says “hi...Squig” using Hans’ voice and mixing words he has heard Hans use. He points to himself and says “Scratchy” in Hans’ voice.
    "Hello Scratchy!" Squig beams a smile at the Kenku. "You have quite a talent for impressions! I'm glad you are with us."

As the group travels through the Dock Ward streets, Squig skips alongside Scratchy and tries to strike up a conversation. "So, Scratchy... you don't seem like a bad guy. What were you doing in the warehouse?"

14. - Top - End - #254

MindFlayer

"And probably why they captured poor Floon. I suppose we'll find out soon enough."

"Hello Scratchy!" Squig beams a smile at the Kenku. "You have quite a talent for impressions! I'm glad you are with us."

As the group travels through the Dock Ward streets, Squig skips alongside Scratchy and tries to strike up a conversation. "So, Scratchy... you don't seem like a bad guy. What were you doing in the warehouse?"
    Renaer shakes his head. "Floon is the victim of mistaken identity...they thought he was me and they think that I have information on this stone..."

"Take the nobleman; kill the rest" Scratchy says in a voice that sounds oddly familiar but is difficult to place. He then points to himself and says "Xanathar Guild" in a smooth elven voice while pointing to himself before saying in a gnomish voice "no longer."

Spoiler: Perception Check
    Show

DC17 Perception Check for Squig, Erdan, and Carric; they heard the voice from farther away.
    Hans and Dengar automatically succeed due to being closer to the brawl.

Pass the check and you recognize the voice as Krentz, the man with the eye tattoos on his head that was in the bar brawl at the Yawning Portal.

15. - Top - End - #255

PaladinGuy

"Take the nobleman; kill the rest" Scratchy says in a voice that sounds oddly familiar but is difficult to place. He then points to himself and says "Xanathar Guild" in a smooth elven voice while pointing to himself before saying in a gnomish voice "no longer."
    Hans smiles proudly to himself hearing Scratchy denounce Xanathar. I did it, I turned someone to the light! Oh, perhaps the other would've done the same, given the chance ... Hans regretfully ponders the other kenku from before. Today has certainly held a lot of lessons on being a true Paladin.

Hans turns to Dengar after Scratchy speaks. "Scratchy's voice sounded like that of the ugly bald man who jumped our orc friend at the bar ... Krentz, she called him? Perhaps we'll run into old company."

16. - Top - End - #256
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Erdan politely introduces himself to Ranaer, but doesn't say much else. He's a bit distrustful of this ginger, not believing he's being 100% truthful, but he's heard enough to follow along for now. Although, a sewer seems like pretty good place to set a trap...

Spoiler: insight check on Ranaer
    Show
    [roll] 20 + 2 [/roll]

17. - Top - End - #257

MindFlayer

While on their way to the sewer entrance, Erdan carefully watches and listens to Renaer.

Renaer walks and conducts himself with an air of confidence. He is very attractive, with a strong jaw and long light red hair. Even with his hair disheveled and his clothes torn and covered with grime from his stay in the warehouse closet he is very good looking. Renaer speaks so smoothly that his words sound like silk on a mild day.

Renaer appears to be a man who easily trusts others, until that trust is broken, and seems to fully trust you all. Erdan gets the feeling he is being truthful when speaking of his father, The Stone of Golorr, and the gang war. You get the impression he only wants to save Floon and feels terrible that his friend was taken in his stead; he seems sincere when he says he wants nothing to do with the Zhents or the Xanathar Guild.

While watching the man fight back in the warehouse, Erdan also noticed his practiced skill with a blade. His style appears to heavily rely on swashbuckling, a fighting style often used by pirates, that requires finesse and panache to misdirect his foe to find an opening. He seems to excel when able to fight a foe in single combat. Erdan gets the feeling Renaer might be able to teach him a thing or two, should he decide to adopt such a fighting style.

18. - Top - End - #258

BlueKnightGuy

Hans smiles proudly to himself hearing Scratchy denounce Xanathar. I did it, I turned someone to the light! Oh, perhaps the other would've done the same, given the chance ... Hans regretfully ponders the other kenku from before. Today has certainly held a lot of lessons on being a true Paladin.

Hans turns to Dengar after Scratchy speaks. "Scratchy's voice sounded like that of the ugly bald man who jumped our orc friend at the bar ... Krentz, she called him? Perhaps we'll run into old company."
    "Good." *cough* "They'll know what they're getting themselves into. They saw the troll..." Dengar says through a still raspy voice still recovering.
    "At least I'm used to it now. Won't be so bad once we enter the sewers."
    Dengar looks towards Renaer "No festivals currently going on, right? Any reason to expect an, uh, extra pungent experience?"

19. - Top - End - #259

MindFlayer

"Not that I know of" Renaer replies to Dengar. "Although, I do suspect it will be none too pleasant down there..."

20. - Top - End - #260

MindFlayer

Scratchy bends down and easily moves the metal cover, revealing a ladder down into the dark sewers. He stands, looks at Hans, and says “Floon” in Hans’ voice while pointing at the ladder.

Spoiler: ETA
    Show

It’s been long enough that you gain the benefit of a short rest, so spend hit die (in the OOC thread) to regain health if you want.
    Last edited by The Big Bear; 2019-03-20 at 05:38 PM.

21. - Top - End - #261

PaladinGuy

Hans nods at Scratchy as he mounts the ladder and works his way down. As he reaches the sewer floor, he pulls out his shield and takes a quick look around himself for anything of interest.

Spoiler: Perception Roll
    Show

[roll]d20 [/roll]

22. - Top - End - #262

MindFlayer

Hans climbs down the ladder into the sewers. A putrid stream flows along this tunnel; it smells terrible and the only light in the area is coming from the street above. Next to the ladder, you see a tiny symbol drawn on the wall in yellow chalk: a palm-sized circle with ten equidistant spikes radiating out from its circumference. Hans can’t make out much more than that in the darkness.

23. - Top - End - #263

PaladinGuy

Hans reels at the stench of the sewer, but tries his best to hold his composure, unlike poor Dengar. He observes the circular symbol on the wall.

Ok, this is it.

Hans looks up through the hole and waves the rest of the group down.

24. - Top - End - #264

BlueKnightGuy

Hans reels at the stench of the sewer, but tries his best to hold his composure, unlike poor Dengar. He observes the circular symbol on the wall.

Ok, this is it.

Hans looks up through the hole and waves the rest of the group down.
    Dengar takes a look down the sewer access hole. He can't smell the sewer at the moment having just destroyed his sinuses testing the cloth but can still feel the stench's warmth emanating from the hole.
    "Down Ladder" Dengar announces to warn Hans that he's descending.
    "Not so bad the second time around" through half a breath on his way down the ladder to meet up with Hans.

25. - Top - End - #265

BlueKnightGuy

Dengar takes a look down the sewer access hole. He can't smell the sewer at the moment having just destroyed his sinuses testing the cloth but can still feel the stench's warmth emanating from the hole.
    "Down Ladder" Dengar announces to warn Hans that he's descending.
    "Not so bad the second time around" through half a breath on his way down the ladder to meet up with Hans.
    "I can't see anything down here. Think it's flammable, Hans?" as Dengar taps Hans on the shoulder with a torch. At least i think that's his shoulder

26. - Top - End - #266

PaladinGuy

Hans turns to Dengar. "The torch? I sure hope so. It's awfully dark down here," he replies cluelessly.

27. - Top - End - #267

BlueKnightGuy

Hans turns to Dengar. "The torch? I sure hope so. It's awfully dark down here," he replies cluelessly.
    "The gases" Dengar replies tapping Hans once on the helmet.

28. - Top - End - #268

PaladinGuy

"The gases" Dengar replies tapping Hans once on the helmet.
    Hans snorts. "You mean the smell? Of course not, that makes no sense." He grabs the torch from Dengar and strikes the end against the sewer wall, hoping for a spark.

29. - Top - End - #269

MindFlayer

The torch is set aflame and lights up the sewer tunnel. Dengar and Hans hear the scattering of mice fleeing.

The rest of the party climbs down the tunnel, with Scratchy advising to follow the yellow signs. The tunnels are narrow and cramped, with putrid water flowing slowly beneath you.

After an hour of following signs through the tunnels, you come to a three-way intersection where a ladder leads up into a single stone shaft capped by a circular metal cover. One of the familiar chalk symbols is marked on a wall nearby, and floating near the symbol is a spherical, grapefruit-sized creature with a bulging central eye and four stumpy eyestalks.

It appears to smile widely as it bears its teeth at you.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Feel free to express how your character entered the sewers, relative position in the marching order, and additional light sources. The tunnels are cramped and single file but this intersection is a little open.

Hans and Dengar are in the front with a torch and right in front of this creature. Everyone can approach behind them and interact with this thing. Renaer will stay in the back behind Scratchy to ensure he doesn’t flee.
    Last edited by The Big Bear; 2019-03-24 at 10:54 AM.

30. - Top - End - #270

HalflingWizardGirl

Squig carefully descends the ladder in front of Scratchy and Renaer, toward the back of the group. She tosses up 4 magical lights - 2 in front of the group and 2 in back which emit 10ft of light. They move about slightly in a dancing pattern as the group travels the sewers.

When the group stops, she peeks out from behind everyone’s legs to glance ahead. Her eyes widen at the sight of the grapefruit-sized creature. A tiny beholder? Could it really be?