New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld 78, Page 72

I said it before, gonna repeat myself :

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dwagon View Post
    Wanda's manipulative, wears kinky outfits and uses sex as a manipulation tool, but we have yet to be proven that she did real evil acts.
    Quote from SteveMB :

This definition of "evil" that does not include Wanda's "hobbies" must be one with which I am not familiar.....

That said, you make good points about Sizemore and Bogroll.
    Well, we only saw her torturing Jillian. And that wasn't really torture, was it? For all we know, Jillian could be the only person she tortured so far. She could have lied to Stanley or Stanley might have seen this hobby only applied to Jillian. How could he know?

I'm not saying she isn't evil either. I'm just saying it's not something we can establish for certain with the information we got so far.

I have a question about Wanda: why is she loyal to Stanley? What's her benefit in this story? She doesn't strike me as someone that would risk her life for no real benefit, nor does she strike me as being respectful or in love with Stanley. She's not even from the same tribe as he is... There's a secret behind this that's yet to be revealed by the authors. Just like the Jillian-Wanda relationship. Wanda knows Jillian's a royal, how come? Torture? Doubtful. Of all the characters, I think Wanda's the one which's olds the most secrets.
    I do feel pity for Wanda, she obviously doesn't have much real self confidence and was leaning entirely on the results she got from her magic and manipulation to convince herself she was doing good. I'm convinced she wasn't serving Stanley out of loyalty or respect for him, but because she has a hidden agenda and serving Stanley was the best way she saw to achieve it. Or maybe she was coerced into serving Stanley.

She might still be evil. As said above, there's no way of ascerting it for the moment. And to those that say if she's with Stanley she must be evil, please take a close look at Sizemore and Bogroll. They clearly demonstrated good-heartness both of them.

2. - Top - End - #182

Sorry for the double post, but I want to address the story's direction now.

Unlinking the triamancers allows Stanley to use the foolamancer to veil himself and escape with his Dwagons. He already was thinking about that plan at the very beginning so it wouldn't be a big surprise if he applied it now.

As for the rest, it's most certain that the coallition will want to capture GK to make sure Stanley can't come back there and have his base for operations available again. How and by who is uncertain right now. If the coallition learns that there are no Dwagons left to defend the city, some of them might bail out or some of them might get overconfident and think if plundering the city instead.

I loved this page. Great plot point, very well directed and up to the point dialogue. More then ever I want to read what's coming next. Keep up the good work Rob and Jamie !

3. - Top - End - #183
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Given the events in the strip, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Parson's next Stupid Meal(tm) had a Warlord-sized weapon as the prize.

4. - Top - End - #184

Here's what needs to happen, imhop :)

Parson turns back around, briefly:

"Tool, I know you're angry, but I need to tell you something."

Tool, still studying the board, does not turn around.

"I'm warning you Hamster, don't say another word or...."

Befor he can finish his sentence, the huge hand of Parson Gotti descend's upon Stanley the Tool's head, engulfing it in a meaty death-grip.

"Or you'll what you, boop?"

Parson's hand visibly clenches a bit tighter, further stifiling Stanley's ability to utter an intelligible word.

"I'm tired of your boop, Tool. Ever since YOU had me summoned here you've been nothing but a boopin boop."

Parson's face takes on a dark, foreboding appearance as he narrowly squints at Stanley.

"Not so full of your self when you can't talk, are you, Tool? You're nothing, Stanley. You're not a leader. Boop, you're not even a real person. You're a booping doll thing."

An evil, twisted grin appears on Parson's face. His hand closes ever more tightly.

"And since you're nothing but a doll, I can live with myself for doing this..."

Parson's second hand quickly envelopes Stanley's chest, while his other hand violently contracts, crushing the head of Stanley even more. With an oddly disturbing tearing sound, like a hundred pages of paper torn apart at the same time, Parson smoothly removes Stanley's head from the rest of his body.

Wanda and Sizemore stare at Parson.

"I guess I've still got it." He glances at the other two. "My sister hated when I did that to her dolls...."
    Last edited by TheMeanDM; 2007-09-24 at 09:27 AM.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by fendrin View Post
    I see that our protagonist has more compassion than you. Perhaps this story will contain a lesson that is of value to you.

Or perhaps you should go re-read/re-watch the conversation between Gandalf and Frodo in The Fellowship of the Ring.
    Perhaps that isn't the best example, considering that Gollum turned out to be pretty much irredeemable (though his final attempt to grab the Ring turned out, unintentionally, to serve the Good side).

That said, I don't think Wanda is totally irredeemable. Seeing how she reacts after hitting bottom and finding herself in a postion where she has to rely on others ought to be interesting....

Quote Originally Posted by Dwagon View Post
    Unlinking the triamancers allows Stanley to use the foolamancer to veil himself and escape with his Dwagons.
    On that note, a reminder that the reference to a "Lookamancer" a few strips back was a blooper (that's significant: if Stanley hides himself under a veil and beats feet, he wouldn't necessarily take Misty along):

Quote Originally Posted by PyritePyro View Post
    On page 61 Wanda states that Ansom knows they have a Foolmancer, so they can veil units, but on page 64 Sizemore says you need a Lookmancer in the same hex as the units to be veiled.
    Quote Originally Posted by pclips View Post
    ARGH That one is major. You are correct, you need a Foolamancer in the stack. *sigh* Thanks.
    He already was thinking about that plan at the very beginning so it wouldn't be a big surprise if he applied it now.
    Perhaps. OTOH, we've seen that his mood is subject to rapid changes in response to the latest developments. On the gripping hand, there aren't going to be any tactical developments during the night (presumably, Ansom will end turn once he finishes this battle and either returns to the column or finds himself unable to do so).

6. - Top - End - #186
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by StrykerX View Post
    It looks like Stanley has gone into "last stand" mode. Either he's planning to run for it, or he's resigned to fighting a traditional siege. Since he ordered all units back to the city, I suspect he's gearing up for the siege (though I wouldn't put it past him to run for it if it looks like the city is about to fall).

I think he's gearing up for "Hitler In The Bunker" mode...

Last stand of the "Legend In His Own Mind."

Parson may yet see a way out of it, once the force arrive, and he sees what he has, against what they have.

Or, he might just start snacking on Marbits...
    "Sometimes you need to tame a dwagon, sometimes you just need to bust a nut."- Lord Stanley

7. - Top - End - #187

Originally Posted by Dwagon View Post
    Unlinking the triamancers allows Stanley to use the foolamancer to veil himself and escape with his Dwagons.
    On that note, a reminder that the reference to a "Lookamancer" a few strips back was a blooper (that's significant: if Stanley hides himself under a veil and beats feet, he wouldn't necessarily take Misty along):
    I'm not sure if you are dissaprooving with what I said or not :p I guess you aren't, but I fail to understand why you quoted me on that then... (english is not my native language).

Perhaps. OTOH, we've seen that his mood is subject to rapid changes in response to the latest developments. On the gripping hand, there aren't going to be any tactical developments during the night (presumably, Ansom will end turn once he finishes this battle and either returns to the column or finds himself unable to do so).
    Weren't there 2 turns each per day? Kind of Stanley/Ansom/Stanley/Ansom? I can't remember why but I was under the impression this was the case. If I'm right, it's Stanley's turn to play.

8. - Top - End - #188

Quote Originally Posted by Dwagon View Post
    I'm not sure if you are dissaprooving with what I said or not :p I guess you aren't, but I fail to understand why you quoted me on that then... (english is not my native language).
    More a clarification about that line of speculation; nothing specific to anybody in particular.

Weren't there 2 turns each per day? Kind of Stanley/Ansom/Stanley/Ansom? I can't remember why but I was under the impression this was the case. If I'm right, it's Stanley's turn to play.
    It looks like the full cycle is: Morning (Stanley's Turn), Afternoon (Ansom's Turn), and Night (Nobody's Turn). After the turn ends, it will be night, with no tactical events, but perhaps quite a few significant character developments.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by TheMeanDM View Post
    Here's what needs to happen, imhop :)

"I guess I've still got it." He glances at the other two. "My sister hated when I did that to her dolls...."
    You're a disturbed man. I love it.
    "Sometimes you need to tame a dwagon, sometimes you just need to bust a nut."- Lord Stanley

10. - Top - End - #190
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MedPig View Post
    Parson may yet see a way out of it, once the force arrive, and he sees what he has, against what they have.
    He can't effectively hit and run like he could; they'll have fliers and archers in every hex to cover the siege now. Ansom won't let Stanley strike at them again.

It's a slugfest now...
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMB View Post
    It looks like the full cycle is: Morning (Stanley's Turn), Afternoon (Ansom's Turn), and Night (Nobody's Turn). After the turn ends, it will be night, with no tactical events, but perhaps quite a few significant character developments.
    Or Night is the turn of an army elsewhere in the world. Sorta like when playing a strategy game where Blue and Red are busily going at each other, and Yellow is just fortifying and waiting in the wings to see who wins to take out the remains when the battle is over....

Really liked this strip... affected me more than many of the previous pages. Really has me on edge to see what happens next.

Wanda's not a saint, but she's had her moments (nice to Sizemore, Bogroll, meaningfully helpful to Parson). She is ruthless and manipulative. I'd probably be afraid of her IRL, but be looking to find what she's hiding beneath the Ice Queen act and wondering if it's something good. As a character, I find her flawed and interesting, and I am very curious to see how she develops. I imagine Jillian's betrayal hits her on so many levels (especially if Jillian and she share the same tribe) she could go in many directions. I hope Parson pushes her in a direction towards positive character development.

Stanley himself is either setting up to be the Big Bad vs Parson... or he's soon to be toast.

I've been wondering what happens if the city falls and Stanley abandons it?

It seems like "no paid upkeep" doesn't immediately mean disabanding/deletion.

Let's look at Jillian: she was a high-ranking member of her kingdom, whatever it may be. Stanley destroyed the kingdom. She did not go "poof" -- she became a mercenary and was hired by Jetstone.

I wonder what the requirements must be that would allow a once allied unit to become mercenary and then hired by another overlord--and even, can you remain mercenary? Depending on what they are, Parson's future has a lot of different possibilities.
    Last edited by DeathQuaker; 2007-09-24 at 10:26 AM.
    And the best thing you ever done for me is to help me take my life less seriously. It's only life, after all.
    - Emily Saliers, "Closer to Fine"

LGBTitP

Blog: http://deathquaker.livejournal.com
    Seldom updated Website: http://www.deathquaker.org

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    Whether she liked it or not is irrelevant. Wanda has been manipulating Jillian. Point blank fact. You even agree to it.
    You know, the more I think about it, we never really see Wanda manipulating Jillian.

For all we know, Wanda has been acting all along to protect Jillian. Other than the torture (which could have actually been role-play/consensual SM), when do we see her harming Jillian in any way? The spell we see her cast from that scroll? For all we know it could be a spell that prevents Jillian from dying (safe SM), or maybe it enhances sensations... or who knows what else.

Sure, Wanda takes advantage of Jillian's information, but how do we know that that was Wanda's idea? Maybe Jillian, fed up with the constant advances of the Insufferable Prince, decided to get even a little?

Ok, not too likely, but still....

I think Ansom's better for Jillian. He's been honest about his feelings to her and has let her do what she wanted, even when people had doubts about her - even herself.
    Hmm, emotional abuse vs. physical abuse... I think she's better off single

13. - Top - End - #193
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

You know, the more I think about it, we never really see Wanda manipulating Jillian.
    No, we only see her getting ready to cast spells on Jillian and the constant talk of how the spell Wanda put on Jillian will make her act specific ways...

14. - Top - End - #194
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

No, we only see her getting ready to cast spells on Jillian and the constant talk of how the spell Wanda put on Jillian will make her act specific ways...
    Okay, does anyone else out there eventually want to see Parson and Wanda someday get around to comparing tattoos, tan lines, or anything else?

Not sure why, but I could see it happening, at some point...

After all, he's not likely to go back to our world any time soon, and we wouldn't want the poor guy to be lonely forever...

(And, hey, she's dressed for the occasion, right?)

15. - Top - End - #195

So Jillian gets to

• betray the coalition by giving Ansom's plan to Wanda who gives it to Parson who comes up with a plan to destroy the seige and get Ansom trapped
    • all of which threatens the coalition itself
    • and Jillian almost allows Parson's plan to succeed by letting Wanda cast a spell on her that compels her not to attack the dwagons

and all so that

• Jillian can play the tough barbarian, the sub, and even the princess in distress

and all Jillian has to pay for this is

• some oh-I'm-so-conflicted emo crap

Don't like it.

PS And let's not forget that Stanley cost Jillian a title that by her own admission she didn't want. Or is it that she ran awat from her duty, allowing Stanley to take it over, and, perhaps, thereby starting a war? Speculation? Yes. But in character for Jillian.
    Last edited by ag30476; 2007-09-24 at 11:04 AM.
    Arena Initiate Referee

16. - Top - End - #196

Quote Originally Posted by MedPig View Post
    Okay, does anyone else out there eventually want to see Parson and Wanda someday get around to comparing tattoos, tan lines, or anything else?

Not sure why, but I could see it happening, at some point...

After all, he's not likely to go back to our world any time soon, and we wouldn't want the poor guy to be lonely forever...

(And, hey, she's dressed for the occasion, right?)
    And I thought the decapitation thing was disturbing....

17. - Top - End - #197
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ag30476 View Post
    So Jillian gets to <snip>
    So she gives up Ansom's plan after a rather brutal torture session (missing teeth, numerous bruises, lacerations and a nice shiner) and you blame her for it?

And how would Jillian know Wanda cast a spell on her to ignore the dwagons? She was rather surprised when Jaclyn told her. And she got rather -mad- when she realized what happened.

18. - Top - End - #198

So she gives up Ansom's plan after a rather brutal torture session (missing teeth, numerous bruises, lacerations and a nice shiner) and you blame her for it?
    She let herself get captured...after Ansom's warning...and it wasn't the first time.

And how would Jillian know Wanda cast a spell on her to ignore the dwagons? She was rather surprised when Jaclyn told her. And she got rather -mad- when she realized what happened.
    "Oh nobody told me the big bad Necromancer who works for the evil guy I hate would cast a spell on me"...Is she a barbarian warlord or a barbie airhead?
    Last edited by ag30476; 2007-09-24 at 11:46 AM.
    Arena Initiate Referee

19. - Top - End - #199
    Troll in the Playground

I just don't see Parson killing anyone with his bare hands in the manner described. Such a grotesque act is not suitable for a fantasy protagonist. I agree with those saying that Stanley is going to run away and leave Gobwin Knob to make their last stand while he takes his remaining dwagons and lives to fight another day.

One of Parson's less-obvious strengths lies in his sympathy for the 'gamepieces'. Misty, Sizemore, Bogroll and now Wanda have all experienced his kindness. So far, they have all responded very well. I'm thinking Parson will rally the troops and save the day once Stanley's out of his hair.
    Last edited by Leewei; 2007-09-24 at 12:19 PM.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

She let herself get captured...after Ansom's warning...and it wasn't the first time.
    Taking a necessary step (forward Intel) because Ansom never bothered.

Presumably all of Jillian's captures were while she was doing recon work.

Ansom never stopped her before (he could have given her direct orders NOT to)... and he certainly never upped his forward intel.

And let herself? A full flight of dwagons against a weak defense? How's that letting herself?

"Oh nobody told me the big bad Necromancer who works for the evil guy I hate would cast a spell on me"...Is she a barbarian warlord or a barbie airhead?
    "Someone I like, and who likes me, would only do what is necessary to satisfy her 'boss'... but wouldn't betray my trust by manipulating me in personal matters..."
    Last edited by sihnfahl; 2007-09-24 at 12:21 PM.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

All of which is very subjective. We don't know what the spell we see Wanda cast does, and all the talk could be a front to protect Jillian. I mean, would Stanley let Jillian 'escape' if he didn't think that she was under a spell?

So Jillian gets to

• betray the coalition by giving Ansom's plan to Wanda who gives it to Parson who comes up with a plan to destroy the seige and get Ansom trapped
    • all of which threatens the coalition itself
    • and Jillian almost allows Parson's plan to succeed by letting Wanda cast a spell on her that compels her not to attack the dwagons

and all so that

• Jillian can play the tough barbarian, the sub, and even the princess in distress

and all Jillian has to pay for this is

• some oh-I'm-so-conflicted emo crap

Don't like it.

PS And let's not forget that Stanley cost Jillian a title that by her own admission she didn't want. Or is it that she ran awat from her duty, allowing Stanley to take it over, and, perhaps, thereby starting a war? Speculation? Yes. But in character for Jillian.
    Yup, poor Wanda, so taken advantage of by evil Jillian. No wonder she snapped, when she realized just how completely she had been used then utterly discarded like scraps from last night's dinner, tossed to the dogs with nary a second thought. All that 'emo' indecision we saw was just just Jillian trying to figure out how to best take advantage of the situation. She's been playing both ends against the middle the entire time.

Ain't perspective grand?

Seriously though, it is a possibility. It may be that Jillian is the real BBEG of the story. Wouldn't that be a real boop-kicker?

Really, we don't know that much about any of the characters. I wouldn't put it past any of the main characters to pull the rug out from under their comrades and stab 'em while they're down.

Well, not Vinny or Sizemore, I guess. But I could see any of the following being the BBEG: Ansom, Jillian, Stanley, or Wanda. Oh, and to be clear the list is alphabetized, not prioritized by likelihood.

Ansom never stopped her before (he could have given her direct orders NOT to)... and he certainly never upped his forward intel.

And let herself? A full flight of dwagons against a weak defense? How's that letting herself?
    Worse, Ansom admits having poor intel. He's SO using Jillian it's ridiculous. I mean, how much intel is she getting out of Wanda for him? I mean, she's a barbarian, she can take a little beating now and again, she heals at the beginning of the next turn anyway. It's not permanent or anything.

Yup, poor Jillian, stuck between two manipulative and egotistical loves.

Ain't perspective grand?

Hey! that's it! It's Schrödinger's plot!
    Last edited by fendrin; 2007-09-24 at 12:38 PM.

22. - Top - End - #202

Ansom didn't have Lookamancers or long range scouts...oh wait he did...Jillian. But she always gets captured and released. And his underlings are starting to question that. Maybe that's why he's hesitant to let her go. That and maybe because even without capture she brings back no intel but simply strikes targets until she gets captured. And maybe it's because with a 25 to 1 advantage against Stanley and his previous warlords there was no need for forward intel.

Which would prevent her from actually doing recon...very convenient. Has she told Ansom about Parson yet? Is she planning too?

Well that gets into their dysfunctional dynamic and his inability to seal the deal.

She could have disengaged and run away. I mean it's not like she knew they wouldn't croak her right?

"Someone I like, and who likes me, would only do what is necessary to satisfy her 'boss'... but wouldn't betray my trust by manipulating me in personal matters..."
    And this is the character we all empathize with? No, I'm sorry. Not me. I used to like Jillian but she needs to get her comeuppance. Parson, Sizemore, Ansom, Vinnie, they've done nothing wrong. They're bystanders.

Stanley started the war. He had victory in his grasp and it got away. So now he walks the Titan's path alone.

The failure of Wanda's manipulation has sent the pupper mistress into shock.

But there seems are yet no ill effects to Jillian's past actions. In her, I-am-woman-here-me-roar-speech, she denies she ever betrayed Ansom and she tosses off her duty to her title as if it was nothing. At the same time, she acts reckeless by attacking before Ansom gets there. Luckily for her, he does come to the rescue.

Maybe I'm alone, but I'm just getting tired of this golden child treatment that Jillian is getting in the story.
    Arena Initiate Referee

23. - Top - End - #203

Seriously though, it is a possibility. It may be that Jillian is the real BBEG of the story. Wouldn't that be a real boop-kicker?
    Where there's trouble...serche la femme.
    Arena Initiate Referee

24. - Top - End - #204
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

She could have disengaged and run away. I mean it's not like she knew they wouldn't croak her right?
    How? Not her turn; she couldn't withdraw.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Orc in the Playground

Ah, so the Mihofication of Wanda begins. No, that's not a typo, I'm not talking about Miko Miyazawa the Delusional Paladin, I'm talking about Tohya Miho the Manipulative Sociopath from Megatokyo.

For the uninitiated, Tohya Miho is a charater in the Megatokyo webcomic. She is very skilled in manipulating masses of fans into loving and obeying her, and is loved by masses of Megatokyo fans who defend her every action. She has previouly pretended to be friends only to betray her companions later, and has faked tears in order to humiliate her opponents. Naturally, every time she cries or shows friendship to someone, her leigon of defenders will insist that these are genuine and proof that she's Not So Bad After All. The irony is staggering.

Now Wanda is nowhere near as bad as Miho, but the basic principle still stands. She is a known manipulator, and a very good one to boot. Hence, anything she does should not be taken at face value, but be viewed in the appropriate context. Sure she LOOKS broken and vulnerable, and perhaps she is. Still, caution is definetly advised.

26. - Top - End - #206

Which would prevent her from actually doing recon...very convenient. Has she told Ansom about Parson yet? Is she planning too?
    Obviously not yet, since she only just returned. (I'm guessing that she didn't send a hat-o-gram while she still had the hat because she was then under the influence of the spell.)

Well that gets into their dysfunctional dynamic and his inability to seal the deal.
    I thought Girl Wonder's comments on Jillian's immaturity and Ansom's idealized view of her were rather insightful (though I did raise a few quibbles).

It remains to be seen whether she will now grow up a bit in that regard. At the very least, if the Coalition wins she'll have to either accept the kingdom she didn't want or else take responsibility for the decision to reject it rather than simply running away from it.

She could have disengaged and run away.
    Er, no. It was Stanley's turn.

Parson, Sizemore, Ansom, Vinnie, they've done nothing wrong. They're bystanders.
    Well, generally (with a possible exception for Ansom, depending on how close to home Vinny's comments about his real motivation struck).

The failure of Wanda's manipulation has sent the puppet mistress into shock.
    I thought we were discounting "emo crap" as insufficient to constitute meaningful comeuppance.

But there seems are yet no ill effects to Jillian's past actions.
    Emphasis added, and pretty much conveys my comment on this point.
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2007-09-24 at 01:04 PM.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Orc in the Playground

Disclaimer: I'm neither condoning nor criticizing Wanda's actions, nor am I drawing any conclusions about whether what happened between Wanda and Jillian was torture or SM. I'm simply pointing out the dangers of applying real-world standards to Erfworld, where things are different.

What would be brutal torture in the real world could be considered harmless SM fun in Erfworld.

One of the many things that makes torture so horrifying in the real world is its lasting physical consequences. Niccolo Machiavelli, for example, complained that “I have six drops of the strappado upon my back,” which would have left him in agony for a long time.

But in Erfworld, the physical injury doesn't last. At the start of the next turn, all wounds heal. We see Jillian minus teeth and with blackened eye in one frame, and in the next, she's (physically) whole again.

We can safely conclude from this that consensual SM relationships in Erfworld will be a lot more intense than they are in the real world. As long as you don't croak the sub, they'll be physically fine next turn, and they know it.

We can also conclude that this makes real torture a lot more difficult. Without the lasting physical consequences, how do you wear a victim down to the point where they're ready to talk? It can't be done over a period of time.

Another interesting point is that consensual SM is only practical for Stanley's side. They have all night to have their fun, then in the morning, ping! it's all forgotten. If Ansom's followers tried it, because they heal at noon, they'd be fighting all morning covered in welts and bruises. So SM is only for the bad guys. Hmm…
    Last edited by Arkenputtyknife; 2007-09-24 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Fix minor typo.

28. - Top - End - #208

How? Not her turn; she couldn't withdraw.
    Yup you're right. I just reread. That was always confusing to me. But now I get it. When Jillian meant long range recon, she meant to fly out to the end of her move and stay there until her next turn???

Given that she was captured before, that makes even less sense.
    Arena Initiate Referee

29. - Top - End - #209
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfPirate

I agree that this chapter seems to be coming to a close, and that they have their boops in a vice. But there are a few results that might still happen:

1.) Jillian might not be over the spell completely. She chose Ansom, but she might not let Ansom kill Wanda. So...

a.) If Ansom runs, Jillian would want to give chase instead of attacking GK. Alliance breaks apart when Ansom's group moves off on their own.

b.) Ansom and Tool battle it out, Jillian does something to cost Ansom the Alliance.

c.) Jillian knows Ansom will lose in a duel against Tool, and steals the arkenpliers to keep Ansom from doing something stupid.

d.) The Alliance takes over GK when it surrenders, and Jillian spares the trio, accepting Parson and Wanda into her own forces.

2.) Parson has a leadership bonus of 2, but his "Special" could be "Can act and move out of turn". This could mean he could run between stacks when they are attacked, giving them his bonus. He could attack off-turn and heal on his turn. He could make raids on the enemy forces during the night. He might even be able to steal the arkenpliers while Ansom sleeps.

30. - Top - End - #210

Yup you're right. I just reread. That was always confusing to me. But now I get it. When Jillian meant long range recon, she meant to fly out to the end of her move and stay there until her next turn???

Given that she was captured before, that makes even less sense.
    It's a calculated risk, and a necessary one given that they have no other way to get forward intel. Remember, there's no indication that the Coalition knows that Stanley has omniscient-eye intel (and plenty of indication that they don't -- for one thing, if they did know about that Jillian's pattern of captures and escapes would be preposterous rather than merely suspicious).

Quote Originally Posted by Anthelios View Post
    I agree that this chapter seems to be coming to a close, and that they have their boops in a vice. But there are a few results that might still happen:

1.) Jillian might not be over the spell completely. She chose Ansom, but she might not let Ansom kill Wanda. So...
    A possibility (even if she is completely over the spell, I think there's still a mundane emotional bond... though now it might just make Jillian that much angrier over the way Wanda had used her).

a.) If Ansom[sic] runs, Jillian would want to give chase instead of attacking GK. Alliance breaks apart when Ansom's group moves off on their own.
    I think you mean "if Stanley runs". The question of priorities (chasing after Stanley versus pressing the attack on Gobwin Knob) arises; however, low-move forces like the remaining siege units aren't very relevant to the former so they might as well be continue on the latter.

b.) Ansom and Tool battle it out, Jillian does something to cost Ansom the Alliance.
    Why? Whatever Jillian's relationship to Wanda was, or is, she hates Stanley.

c.) Jillian knows Ansom will lose in a duel against Tool, and steals the arkenpliers to keep Ansom from doing something stupid.
    Slightly more plausible, but not much -- would she really expect that to stop him from doing something stupid?

d.) The Alliance takes over GK when it surrenders, and Jillian spares the trio, accepting Parson and Wanda into her own forces.
    That also hinges on the balance between Jillian's reaction to Wanda's manipulation versus any remaining post-spell feelings she might have.

2.) Parson has a leadership bonus of 2, but his "Special" could be "Can act and move out of turn". This could mean he could run between stacks when they are attacked, giving them his bonus. He could attack off-turn and heal on his turn. He could make raids on the enemy forces during the night. He might even be able to steal the arkenpliers while Ansom sleeps.
    That's just out in left field, and would seem like a total deux ex machina unless set up somehow (and there doesn't seem to be enough time left in this chapter for that).
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2007-09-24 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Added reply without double-post