New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: You just gained a level in real life! What class would you take?

Honestly, I'd just keep running Wizard all the way. Sure, a more carefully optimized build would be superior, but Wizard has fewer fiddly questions I have to answer, and it'll be sufficient. In less than 2 more decades, I'm unstoppable and immortal and don't really have to worry about money. Yay!

I mean, omnipotence is a goal, but I can get there with this straightforward build process without having to worry about reality edits retconning me.

If I had more access to a magic mart, I'd be tempted to become an Elan and go Psion until I could pull off my Beholder Mage trick, but I doubt that'd fly.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GrayDeath View Post
    Hence my repeated question: Do Beings to "pact with" exist?

If not, can we create an own pact (would need to be focussed on a Principle, nation or somesuch)?
    All types of pact are available.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalkra View Post
    So to recap, if I'm an artificer, and I have the Sanctum Spell feat, can I reduce the effective level of the spells I'm emulating? (To reduce costs and whatnot.)
    It will not reduce the costs. A Sanctum Spell uses a spell slot of its normal level. Its effective level then changes depending on where you cast it, but you're not casting it yet, so it's still its normal level.

Could I use something like Reserves of Strength to increase the effective caster level without increasing the cost (which is based on my own caster level)?
    I'm pretty sure Reserves of Strength applies at the time of casting, not at the time of crafting, but it doesn't matter because it would not allow you to avoid increasing the cost either way. If it worked, you'd be crafting the item at a higher CL and the price would increase accordingly.

Can I apply metamagic feats, and any metamagic reducers, to spells I emulate?
    If you have the feats, yes.

Does Practiced Spellcaster work with Artificers? The wording of the class is kinda inconsistent as to whether or not they have an actual caster level.
    I think it would.

There exists rules for researching spells. Could I try to research feats?
    No.

How does becoming a ghost work?
    Use the savage progression. You have to decide to take your level as a ghost before you actually die. I'll leave it up to you whether taking the ghost level includes your death or if it just ensures that you'll become a ghost when you die eventually.

How does taint work? (Radiation actually works pretty well for that.)
    There isn't anything in this world that will cause you to gain taint, but you might be able to create an effect that causes you to gain taint.

Are unofficial errata and FAQ rulings used?
    Official errata is used. FAQ rulings, case by case.

Are UA action points compatible with Ebberon action points?
    They're different versions of the same system. By default, you don't have action points, but you can gain them with the Heroic Spirit feat as if you were an NPC, or with the variant Seer feature from the Mind's Eye. The Eberron rules take precedence over UA.

Can you use the rituals in Savage Species?
    If you can meet the requirements, then sure.

Darklight Wizard. It's got typos, it references spells that don't exist, and it's aura has no listed range. What do you do in cases like that?
    I'm not familiar with that class, but in general, use common sense.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

What would be the appropriate skill to research how to become an Elan? IIRC the ritual is never actually stated and I'd rather not true mind switch into a golem or something if I can avoid it.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla View Post
    What would be the appropriate skill to research how to become an Elan? IIRC the ritual is never actually stated and I'd rather not true mind switch into a golem or something if I can avoid it.
    You could always go Rajah and capstone into immortality, which you can spend with your vast wealth and holographic waifus. :D

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Andor13 View Post
    You could always go Rajah and capstone into immortality, which you can spend with your vast wealth and holographic waifus. :D
    I'm already 3 levels into Tactician though. I do plenty with PoW. Sometimes I need a break.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla View Post
    Spellcraft, of course.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Spellcraft, of course.
    ... You mean Psicraft, right?

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    ... You mean Psicraft, right?
    *waves hand dismissively* Same thing.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

*waves hand dismissively* Same thing.
    *High Elf wizard screams in the distance*

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Spellcraft, of course.
    Works for me. I'm already planning on maxxing ranks in knowledge Psionics and Psicraft.

11. - Top - End - #191

Devil

Darklight Wizard comes from the Kingdoms of Kalamar Villain Design Handbook, and like many things from Kalamar, it's broken in both senses of the word. When you take your first level, you lose all your previous levels (does this include RHD? Who knows!) but you keep your attributes, skills, and feats. You get fast progression arcane casting from a list of 24 spells, none of which are 9th level, and a few of which aren't described in that book or any other book. The abilities are absolutely nutso, although the 6th level ability, Aura of Despair has no listed range. Also, all the class features are described in alphabetical order, for some unfathomable reason. I think they also get full BAB, but I'm not sure about that, because 3.0 terminology seems to be a bit different.

The Craft Trinket feat is another example of this kind of thing. It's sorta like Craft Wondrous Item, but it never says anywhere what trinkets do. It gives some examples, but you can't really figure it out from them. It could be stupid good, it could just be stupid, nobody knows.

I'll totally be taking anti-feats if allowed, though. Each level, you can roll a d1,000 and get the reverse benefit of the corresponding feat, and for every two anti-feats you have you get a bonus feat. Most of the things in the book are only for evil characters, but that's more of a fluff thing, and the descriptions often don't seem to have anything to do with alignment.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

My ability to comment on third-party content is limited, so for a 3PP build like that, just generally use common sense, basically.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Seems I have accidentally done PF and 3.5, both in separate years, so this will be my third level for both builds, though didn't note my level for last year(Thank you Troacctid for noting that in that delightful sheet).* Well, to catch everything up for this year:

For 3.5: I'm a Factotum 3 now, bright and sparky and ready to take my third level feat, which will be Dream of Insight, as that seems like an interesting feat to use(while I sleep, even)!

For PF: I'm a Psychic Investigator 3! 3rd level Phrenic Amplification (Will of the Dead), to be paired with one of my additional spells, which will be Heightened Awareness and Charm Person for 1st level(as spooky Undead being friends is better than being eaten), and Resistance and Haunted Fey Aspect for knacks. Did not list feats last time. I will be taking the Great Fortitude and Improved Initiative feats, and retraining(if need be) to Sorcerer VMC into the Destined bloodline for 3rd level(as this is normally declared at first level, but doesn't take effect till third). If this is not permissible, I'll look around for something.

Also, new 3PP build for me, since that seems to be a thing: Same stats as normal Pathfinder build, but as follows:

Spoiler
    Show

Prodigy 1/Scholar 2

Martial Tradition: Opportunist(Same as Street Fighter Discipline, but with Brute Sphere replaced by Barroom sphere, Teetotaler drawback taken).

Scholar's Knack: Amateur Arcanist

Combat Talents:
    Barroom Sphere(Tradition, Teetotaler)
    Barroom Expert(Bonus from drawback)
    Alchemy Sphere(Formulae)(Bonus)
    Salve
    Scout Sphere(Bonus)
    Scoundrel Sphere(Tradition)
    Misdirected Attack(Tradition)
    Unarmed Training(Tradition)
    Unarmored Training

Magic Talents:
    Alteration Sphere
    Conjuration Sphere (Biped Martial Companion with the Skillful form and Guardian Sphere)
    Divination Sphere
    Fate Sphere
    Judgement (Consecration)
    Life Sphere
    Protection Sphere

Feats:
    Cantrips
    Amateur Investigator(Bonus)
    3rd: Extra Scholar's Knack(Arcane Studies)
    Newest Work: Pyromancer - My submission for Base Class Contest X
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

Quote Originally Posted by chess435 View Post
    May Chuck Norris smile upon you.

Finall got an Extended Homebrew Signature, courtesy of Cipherthe3vil

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

@ Troacctid: I've updated my posts (#3 and #29), if you want to update your spreadsheet.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

Eeexcellent, nothing barring my Dragon pact then. :)

Spoiler: Build
    Show

Attributes Standard array (13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8)

pts Human Bonus Level+ Final (+/-)
    Strength 9 9
    Dex 8 8
    Constitution 10 10
    Intelligence 12 12
    Wisdom 11 11
    Charisma 13 +2 +1 ^ 16

HP: 1D8 per Level, ergo 8+8+4+3=23+4 Toughness ergo 27 HP

AC: 10-1+4= 13 normal, 15 with Cover of Darkness

Prof: Simple Weapons and one martial (, Light Armor.

BAB +3, Saves Base +4/+1/+4, ergo

Skillpts/Level: 5, ergo 20+4 from Human Fav Class Bonus= 24

Class Skills: pts Bonuses Final
    Acrobatics
    Appraise
    Bluff
    Craft (Misc)
    Diplomacy 4 +6 10
    Disguise 2 +6 8
    Fly
    Intimidate 4 +6 10
    Knowledge Arcane 2 +3 5
    Knowledge Local 1 +3 4
    Knowledge History 1 +3 4
    Linguistics 1 +3 4
    Perception 2 +3 5
    Profession
    Sense Motive 2 +3 5
    Sleight of Hand
    Spellcraft 1 +4 5
    Use Magic Device 4 +6 10

Feats: 4, Persuasive, Improved Initiative, Intuitive Recitation, Toughness

Clauses: Aether Breath 1 and 2, Aether Swarm 1+2, Aether Cascade

4 Clauses (least): Cover of Darkness, Hidden Knowledge, Silver Tongue, Sightseer

Pact: Dragon pact (Class Skills + Climb and Knowledge History), Aether Breath for Free, Sense material Wealth 30ft, pinpoint most valuable thing.

Level 4 Ability: take another form to blend into society. You gain an
    alternate form. This works like the alter self spell, except
    that the form you take is the same every time (chosen
    when you gain this ability). Changing form is a standard
    action, and you can remain in your alternate form for as
    long as you wish.
    Unlike normal transformative magic, however, this
    form is as much a change of mind as it is body. You gain
    a +10 bonus on Bluff and Disguise checks to convince
    others that you are your alternate form (in addition to
    the normal +10 bonus on Disguise checks for magical
    alteration), and your alternate form can have a different
    alignment than you (chosen initially when you gain this
    ability, but subject to change based on your actions
    in that form). When in your alternate form,you are
    treated as having that form's alignment for all spells,
    magic items, and abilities that rely on alignment. For
    the purpose of meeting a qualification for a feat, class,
    or any ability, you are only eligible if both of your
    alignments meet the requirements.
    Any attempts to scry or otherwise locate you work
    only if you are currently in the form the creature is
    attempting to locate (or if the creature knows that both
    forms are you). Otherwise, the spell or effect has no
    effect, revealing nothing but darkness, as if the target
    were invalid or did not exist.
    At 8th, 12th, 16th, and 20th levels, you gain another
    alternate form you can take with this ability. These forms
    function exactly like the first.

To sum it up, I am going for disguised Super Socialite to gain enough money to profit (hehe) from my Dragon pacts later abilities. Seeing Invisible stuff of course is only useful if I am NOT the only powered being. Which having that ability I will find out before reaching the next level, and my insanely powerful Social Skills SHOULD help with potential other players.

Especially since I only want to enjoy my power and wealth, not to rule the world or anything ;)

A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

16. - Top - End - #196

Quote Originally Posted by Felyndiira View Post
    I guess I'm taking my second level in warlock, then. Unfortunately, no feats.

For the 3PP option, I'm retraining to Rajah instead, so I can heal people and have a rabble of personal servants.
    @ Troacctid, in case if you missed my post (since it's not on the spreadsheet).

17. - Top - End - #197
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

I also seem to have escaped the grasp of the Google Docs.
    I took Sha'ir 1 (see page 4 of this thread).

Cheers!

18. - Top - End - #198

SamuraiGuy

Likewise, I think you missed me on page 3. Here, enjoy this handcrafted link.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ettin in the Playground

Yay, I'm now a Psion(seer) 3! Learning two 2nd level powers! Clairvoyant sense and tongues, psionic. Let's go ahead and pretend my intended usage of clairvoyant sense involves more "science" and less "locker rooms". And tongues is just plum useful.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

And I have no idea how my entry on the G-Doc happened. The links go to posts I made, but that's about it.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ettin in the Playground

So, I'm either 3rd or 4th level by now! I posted in the first one and one more, but missed one, so depends on if we're going by current rules or first thread rules. Depending on 3.5 or PF I'd be a Factotum or Bard (with some sort of archtype, probably Archeologist). My previous plan still holds, I think. Stay under the radar, since I'm sure some people that have been keeping up with the thread went wizard, and next year is when 3rd level spells show up and things start kicking off in earnest (3 years from now is 4th level spells, which is when you want your bunker ready, I'd say). But by this point, with either of these, I've got skill synergies that are stacking up quite nicely, so I'd probably focus on getting a job teaching or running the bookstore I mentioned in the third thread.
    Last edited by Eldest; 2019-01-11 at 01:36 AM.
    LGBTA+itP

22. - Top - End - #202
    Orc in the Playground

Sorry it took so long, morning shifts just drains me...

Human martial rogue 1

feats: able learner, educated (if it isnt given automatically) and hidden talent (psionic minor creation)

str 12, dex 10, con 8, int 13, wis 11, cha 9,

will add skills later.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Another level of Wizard for me, bringing me to Wizard 3.

24. - Top - End - #204

Ok, after sleeping on it for a few days I'll take Sorcerer as my first level.

I've always loved Wizards, but in real life I really don't want to have to study. And I can still cast charms so unless there's a sorc/psion prc I'll stick with this.
    The game doesn't start until you reach epic levels.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Weiser_Cain View Post
    Ok, after sleeping on it for a few days I'll take Sorcerer as my first level.

I've always loved Wizards, but in real life I really don't want to have to study. And I can still cast charms so unless there's a sorc/psion prc I'll stick with this.
    Well, there's Cerebremancer.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spell to power Erudite.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyllgi View Post
    Spell to power Erudite.
    That achieves the same effect as well.

28. - Top - End - #208

Planetar

Well, I've got good int and max ranks in computers to start with. That makes operative (hacker), mechanic, and technomancer good choices.

But mechanics want at least some dex, and operatives want a lot of dex. I'm in the dumped-all-my-physicals crowd.

Level 1 technomancer it is.

29. - Top - End - #209

edit: rebuild was denied, still taking a level of mystic ranger
    Last edited by SirNibbles; 2020-01-04 at 08:58 PM.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler: 1st party Build
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Quarian Rex View Post
    Human (Middle Aged) Alchemist [Blood Alchemist/Internal Alchemist]

Str 7 (8-1)
    Dex 9 (10-1)
    Con 10 (11-1)
    Int 16 (13 +2+1)
    Wis 10 (9+1)
    Cha 13 (12+1)

1 Alchemist [Blood Alchemist/Internal Alchemist] 1
    - Class features - Alchemy, Brew Potion, Lifeblood, Alchemical Circles, Breath Mastery
    - Feat - Psychic Sensitivity
    - Feat (Human) - Technologist
    - Forumlae (1st x5) - Comprehend Languages, Cure Light Wounds, Endure Elements, See Alignment, Tears to Wine
    2 Alchemist 2 - Poison Resistance +2, Poison Use
    - Discovery - Infusion
    - Forumlae (1st) - Polypurpose Panacea

Skills [4+3(Int)+1(Human)+1(Favored Class for 1st three levels)]
    - Appraise, Craft (Alchemy), Diplomacy*, Heal, Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (Nature), Knowledge (Engineering)*, Perception, Spellcraft

* Not class skills

The idea here is to open up as many possibilities for the spread/use of these new capabilities in daily life as I can. To that end I have both the Technologist feat (to make sure that newly acquired competencies are as widely applicable as possible) and Psychic Sensitivity to open myself to more of the casual weirdness that may be surrounding me at any given time. Initial forumlae were chosen to gain greater insight into the world (Comprehend Languages), to ensure the survival of any injury that isn't immediately fatal (Cure Light Wounds), to comfortably ice skate in a speedo (Endure Elements), to gain insight into the true nature of those around me (See Alignment), and to perhaps start a low level sewage treatment plant/microbrewery (Tears to Wine).

See Alignment, though, could make things really, really interesting. How would things change for you if you found out that your child/wife/mom was neutral evil or somesuch?

From there would be a steady increase in my ability to further affect the world. First with Infusion (to be able to use my extracts on others), then eventually through the use of Alchemical Circles for unlimited use spell-like abilities, allowing such things as being my own backhoe (Expeditious Excavation), repairing all the things (Make Whole), making everything that I can lay my hands on into the best quality version that it can be (Masterwork Transformation), trying my hand at being Michelangelo/making secret bases/bunkers in the heart of a mountain (Stone Shape), be a one man sweatshop (Fabricate), and making any thing into anything (Polymorph Any Object). While other spellcasters can perform similar feats, Alchemical Circles takes this from the equivalent of artisanal crafting to the industrial revolution.

Taking Master Craftsman [Craft (Alchemy)], Craft Wondrous Item, and Fleshwarper (all feats), and the discoveries Promethean Disciple, Alchemical Simulacrum, Doppelganger Simulacrum, Alchemical Zombie, and Greater Alchemical Simulacrum will start opening up options for a more experimental future for myself and humanity. Even besides the Mad Tyrant/supersoldier options inherent in these abilities, just allowing these to be studied by science could open up all kinds of possibilities that might not otherwise exist (see bootstrapping a biotech firm). Doppelganger Simulacrum allows functional immortality since unused bodies are functionally dead but do not decay (and therefore do not age) and you can keep jumping to new bodies as long as your original is safe.

Researching a new magic item that allows the casting of Mind Swap (Major) (possibly cost reduced through weekly uses and wondorous architecture), and researching an extract version of Sculpt Simulacrum would allow people to enter the body of their choosing (including simulacra, construct, and undead allowing for some unique changes in perception), ushering in the first steps of a new transhuman age.

I mean, what's the point of having power unless you can change the world with it, am I right?
    Adding a second level of Alchemist granting me Infusions and Polypurpose Panacea (one of the most casually useful spells/formulae there is). I can now effectively share the weirdness with others. Good times.

Spoiler: 3PP Build
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Quarian Rex View Post
    (Middle Aged) Human Incanter (from Spheres of Power)

Str 7 (8-1)
    Dex 9 (10-1)
    Con 10 (11-1)
    Int 16 (13 +2+1)
    Wis 10 (9+1)
    Cha 13 (12+1)

1 Incanter 1
    - Feat - Spellcrafting
    - Feat (Human) - Extra Magic Talent - Illusion [Disappearance - Flaw] - Invisibility (Ill)
    - Bonus feat - Extra Magic Talent - Warp
    - Talent - Alteration
    - Anarchic Transformation (Alt)
    - Time [Altered Time - Flaw] - Age (Time)
    - Life [Slow Recovery - Flaw] - Revitalize (Life), [Medicinal - Flaw] - Water of Life (Life)
    2 Thaumaturge (Experimentalist) 1 - Forbidden Alchemy

Magical Tradition
    Drawbacks
    - Painful Magic
    - Verbal Casting
    - Somatic Casting x2
    Boons
    - Deathful Magic
    - Overcharge

Skills (Incanter) 2+3(Int)+1(Human)+1 per Incanter = 7
    - Craft (Alchemy), Diplomacy*, Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (Nature), Linguistics (Japanese), Spellcraft, Knowledge (Engineering)

Skills (Thaumaturge) 4+3(Int)+1(Human) = 8
    - Disguise, Diplomacy, Heal, Perform (Oratory), Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Craft (Alchemy), Linguistics (Russian)

Teleportation, invisibility, regeneration, youth, and shapeshifting. This would be a solid basis for an Interesting Life™. Spellcraft some combinations like adding youth and/or invisibility to shapeshifting as I find convenient. While initially fun, it is the later levels that really open up the possibilities. At levels 2 and 3 I would take two levels of Thaumaturge (with the Experimentalist archetype) for the CL boost and the three variable Alteration talents from Consumption. Continuing with Incanter after that, I would pick up Ascetic Control (Enhancement talent) and Fleshwarper (feat) to be able to maintain youth and regeneration in whatever form I chose for up to a month at a time (through Spellcrafting) and begin experimenting with fleshcrafting (probably bootstrapping a biotech company for resources). Try Spellcrafting the month long duration shapeshift for other people but I'm not sure how that would shake out due to the Spellcraft rules.

The Magical Tradition was selected primarily to provide a boost to CL (+6 in total counting the boost from Thaumaturge) so that, when I need to, my reach will not exceed my grasp by quite so much. The Verbal and Somatic casting limitations are things that I can live with but the Painful Magic may be a choice that I'll come to regret. In truth though, it is probably a good thing to have a dose of pain when drawing upon the powers of the supernatural. It will prevent me from warping every jerk I meet into a three-headed, multi-anus'd stump creature (I love Anarchic Transformation)... unless they really deserve it.

The end goal milestones (in 9 to 14 more years of this thread) are to start making humanity into something more via Permanent Transformation (Alteration talent) and Transfiguration (Life talent that 'perfects' the body, removing penalties due to age, providing immunity to poison and disease, and adding to max HP) available at level 10. Anthropomorphic Transformation (Alteration talent, does what it says on the tin) can be used to uplift promising species as well. At level 15 I would be able to start making demiplanes with gleeful abandon (just the ability to use this as an effective teleporting gate network would change everything), augment humanity to the pinnacle of survivability with Hypervitalize (a Life talent that grants most of the immunities of constructs and requires disintegration or cremation to prevent healing), while freeing them from the tyranny of those who would oppress them with Unplottable (provides immunity to divination magics of any sort, including Wish and Miracle).

Thus (humbly) starts the Transhuman revolution.
    3PP is in this year so the SoP transhuman revolution is back on (yay). Did some retraining during the year to add the Medicinal drawback to my Life Sphere, meaning that I get Water of Life for free (I can essentially put Life effects into temporary potions, much like an Alchemist's Extracts) with the downside that this is the only way I can use Life effects. Second level is Thaumaturge with the Experimentalist archetype, providing me a CL boost a couple times a day and some new class skills but not much else.
    Avatar of awesome goodness courtesy of Cdr.Fallout.