New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: The Lands of Sanetch - Alpha

Hector

No other eh, yes, very likely my arrogant friend. Hector thinks bemused by his own sarcasm. Still best not to test, best to let him think…think…

Hector turns to meet Maruis’ gaze, I would strike down these abominations, these insults to the Lady given the chance, but the cost, and the threat…so refined these elfs claim to be, but petty and paranoid they are instead. “Yes, you have my word also” a cringe “on my honor. The rest is up to you to satisfy your masters Ruudi, we will leave”
    all's well that ends well,
    and we all die alone

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Loce will remain hidden, bow at the ready, prepared for any treachery.

[OOC]: I'm working on getting my roommate's computer fixed right now. I navigating with keyboard only at the moment, but I should be able to start posting regularly once I get a mouse. [OOC]
    Aratos Tell
    HP:53/53 AC:19,FlatFooted:16,Touch:13
    Active Effects: Speak w/Animals
    Spells Prepared: Cure Minor Wounds*4, Flare, Calm Animals, Charm Animal, Cure Light Wounds, Animal Messenger, Flaming Sphere, Lesser Restoration, Hold Animal, Cure Mod. Wounds*2, Speak w/Plants

Megiddo
    HP:26/26 PP: 40/40 AC:14,FlatFooted:13,Touch:13
    Active Effects:
    Spells Prepared: Light*2, Burning Hands*2, Protection f/Evil, Magic Missile, Shocking Grasp, See Invis., Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray*2

3. - Top - End - #393
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ruudi nods appreciatively as Marius and Hector speak, though Marius notices that he keeps glancing toward where Lócë is hidden, and that none of the reassurances are really a solution he'd have hoped for. Apparently, Raël notices this, too.

"I can assure you that these fine men are going to be true to their word, and they can take care of themselves well enough that no one is going to force any secrets from them. Yet, it looks like your superiors are not going to simply accept the word of strangers, and I can't really fault them for that", Raël says.

Ruudi nods, and Raël continues.

"I suggest the following: I stay with you as a 'hostage', while the others continue on their way. Together with our defeat of the aranea - which should have been your job, weren't you calling yourselves 'protectors'? - I think that should show the other elves that we are on your side."

Ruudi nods again.

"Yes, that could work - Raël, wasn't it? Also, you didn't even loot the aranea's gear, which we can use to demonstrate that you wouldn't try and come looking for the fabled treasures of Orcbane. But if the others are such a fine crowd, why would you leave them?" Ruudi asks.

Raël hesitates, then answers.

"Something... something happened while we were fighting the hobgoblins. I need to find out why it happened, and what it really means. I need some time alone, and maybe I can get it to happen again while I stay here."

4. - Top - End - #394
    Ogre in the Playground

Marius Thanador

"Well, uhm.." uttered Marius, seeing that the conversation did not go much further. "If this is the way it shall be, then I wish you luck with your decision, Raël. I thank you for your offer, Raël, and I hope it will be sufficient for you, Ruudi. However, perhaps it is best if we rest for the day first, and then continue on our paths? It will give us a chance to say farewell to Raël and to gather energy for the different paths ahead." Marius gives an inquiring frown, to see if the proposal is a good one. It seemed like a reasonable proposal to him.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Dwarf in the Playground

With this, the strong tension dissipates, and not only Ruudi takes a liberating breath when he puts his weapon away.

~~~

A bit later, you are sitting around a small fire that is heating up several large chitin tubes that are closed with clay on both ends. Ruudi has explained to you that these are red spider legs that supposedly are a delicacy. Doubtful, you take out the hardened clay with a dagger, and turn away from the overwhelming odor. Ruudi insists that the legs are excellent once they are cool enough to eat, and soon he is slurping away. As you taste more out of politeness, you are amazed. There is a gooey mass inside the leg that has a silken texture and that tastes like heaven. When Ruudi claims that these legs are worth their weight in gold on the market of Malager, you doubt him, but at least his claim that these had become too warm in the fire to still be fit for exportation explains why he would serve them to you. Whatever their worth, the legs taste great and they are a worthy of a farewell dinner for Raël.

Fortunately, all the clouds are doing is menace a storm, so you can sit outside for a little longer, enjoying the warm summer evening. After you have brought up a small barrel of dwarven ale that also needs to be consumed "because it became too hot", Ruudi even becomes tolerable, and his stories become actually funny.

Finally, you go to bed downstairs. Ruudi says that you have seen the place, anyway, and that there is really no need to lay on the hard forest floor if you can sleep on an elven mattress.

~~~

The next morning you are not in a hurry. There is only half a day's worth of travelling before you reach Darsh, the border village of the Kingdom of Malager in which you will stay the night.
    After an extensive breakfast, Ruudi calls you over, claiming that he has something to give to you.

"When I came upon the corpse of the aranea, I found something it hasn't stolen from my fellow elves it has killed. I think it should be rightfully yours."

Ruudi holds out a bag of holding marked with the falcon crest that Marius remembers from the hobgoblin's dagger.
    Inside the bag are a pair of boots, a ring, a dagger and a smaller bag containing bottles - all of them bearing the falcon crest.

As you examine the items, it becomes clear that all three items are magical. The boots are most likely boosting the speed of the wearer, the ring is shaped in the form of two intertwined reptiles with rubies for eyes and is carrying inscriptions in draconic inside that Lócë translates to "hide", "reveal", "change" and "revert". The magical ability of the dagger is not clear, however, you notice that it is possible to screw off the top of the hilt and fill it with poison from one of the bottles. Then, a button on the dagger makes it possible to dispense the poison through several fine holes along the blade.

6. - Top - End - #396
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Loce:

Loce will take a moment to examine the ring more closely, casting a spell to allow him to better analyze it.

[ooc]Casting detect magic, analyzing with spellcraft: (1d20+10)[30][ooc]
    Aratos Tell
    Spells Prepared: Cure Minor Wounds*4, Flare, Calm Animals, Charm Animal, Cure Light Wounds, Animal Messenger, Flaming Sphere, Lesser Restoration, Hold Animal, Cure Mod. Wounds*2, Speak w/Plants

Megiddo
    Active Effects:
    Spells Prepared: Light*2, Burning Hands*2, Protection f/Evil, Magic Missile, Shocking Grasp, See Invis., Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray*2

7. - Top - End - #397
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lócë notices two weak auras, one of illusion and one of transmutation.

8. - Top - End - #398
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Loce will try on the ring, and see if there are any obvious effects.
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects:

9. - Top - End - #399
    Dwarf in the Playground

As Lócë puts on the ring, nothing happens.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

"If I were to hazard a guess, this ring probably aids in stealth, based on the auras on the ring and the lack of any immediate and obvious effect. I have heard of rings that operate in that manner. I could, of course, be wrong."
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects:

11. - Top - End - #401
    Ogre in the Playground

Marius Thanador

Marius nods towards Lócë. Then, he turns towards Ruudi again. "Thank you for your gifts. We appreciate it." He says, with a friendly smile. Then, he gets back to preparing for travel. He checks with the others to see if they want to use the bag of holding for, well, holding purposes, in the mean time. Also taking care of the needs of the baby, Marius takes the time he needs. Eventually, when he is prepared again, he turns towards Ruudi and Raël.

"Well, it seems it is time to be on the move again. Thank you again for the items, Ruudi. Since our paths split, I wish you a safe journey. May both of you, Ruudi and Raël, be guided and blessed by the light of Pelor. And Raël, thanks. Be well and safe."

12. - Top - End - #402
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

"Very well then. Shall we be off?"
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects:

13. - Top - End - #403
    Dwarf in the Playground

After the farewells, the three of you head east toward the village of Darsh. It's rather warm and humid already, and you soon start wishing you had left earlier. At least the trees provide welcome shade, and the air gets noticeably cooler whenever the road is close to the river.
    After a while, you notice that the road seems to be leading you straight into the clear blue sky - the road must start to descend. The promise of a magnificent view makes you hurry up, and soon you find yourself standing on top of a cliff that is several hundred feet high. To your right the river fuels an enormous three-step waterfall, after which it continues as a meandering stream toward a wide delta and into the sea. To the right of the river, an endless forest stretches over round hills. There is smoke rising out of the forest in a few places, but only one location far south seems to correspond to a larger settlement. Along the river you can recognize what must be Darsh, and another village close to the mouth of the river. In the hazy distance you think you can make out the white walls of Malager, the goal of your journey. To your left, starting at the foot of the cliff on which you're standing, you see plenty of small villages surrounded by fields.
    With high spirits you start walking down the serpentines that have been hacked into the solid rock, but soon, you all are sweating profusely, hoping that you may soon reach the foot of the cliff. Only when the path comes close to one of the steps of the waterfall such that you can feel the refreshing spray you find some respite from the mercilessly burning sun. At the second step of the waterfall you rest for lunch, weary of the final third of the never ending serpentines.
    Finally, you reach the foot of the cliff, glad that it is only another half hour before you reach Darsh.

Darsh is a heavily fortified. This is not unusual for a border village, but the battlements right below the roofs of the houses that form its outer wall and the gatehouse are quite impressive. Darsh has been built into a bend of the river. Right in front of its gate, a bridge crosses the river that is protected by both the gatehouse and a tower on the other shore. You enter through the open gate onto a cobblestone square that is dominated by a temple of St.Cuthbert in front of which there is a welcome fountain. After a few steps toward the fountain, you stop. You just noticed that not a single person seems to be here.

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, I almost forgot: You have just spent four hours in a very uncomfortable heat (it's 3pm now). Please make four fortitude saving throws at DC 15,16,17,18, respectively. Those wearing armor take -4 on the check (heavy armor is -6). For every failed check you take 1d4 nonlethal damage.
    Fortunately, Marius has been taking great care of the baby, using up part of his drinking water to keep the baby's clothes moist, so the lil'one is fine.
    Last edited by iop; 2008-10-13 at 08:28 PM.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

"Something is not right. I think I should scout out the area. I would hate for us to be ambushed again."

Loce will then head out, as stealthily as he can. Not sure how large the city is, but Loce will spend about 15 mins checking out as wide an area as he can, and then return to the group via direct route.

Hide (1d20+10)[14]
    Move Silently (1d20+10)[23]
    Spot (1d20+12)[30]
    Listen (1d20+11)[25]
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects:

15. - Top - End - #405
    Ogre in the Playground

Marius Thanador

Marius wipes the sweat of his forehead as he looks ahead. "Smart thinking, Löcé. Go ahead." He says in a somewhat fatigued voice. "May Pelor make sure nothing happens to you as you scout." Marius adds when Löce takes his leave for now. Marius, annoyed by the heat he experienced, moves towards the fountain. He smiles somewhat to the baby he has been taking care off, and makes again sure it is alright. Upon reaching the fountain, he looks at the water. He would like to take a sip or to use it to splash some on his face, but he has realised the absence of people as well. Such is for a reason, and in such times he ought to be careful. Wary, he decides to not touch the water yet. He does sit on the edge of the fountain, however, welcoming the break his legs can now make advantage of, and awaits Löcé's return.

16. - Top - End - #406
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lócë carefully scouts the small village. He blends into what little shadow there is in the early afternoon as well as is possible, and he tries to make as little noise as he can.
    Most doors are locked, and a peek through the windows shows that people didn't plan on leaving for good the last time they were here: Tools and ancestors' portraits are still there. There is, however, no sign of a hurried, or even a violent departure.
    It is dead silent inside the houses, except for one place: Lócë hears some rummaging noise inside the Royal Inn, the clearly much better of the two inns in town (the other is the Pilgrim's Hostel).

Marius, meanwhile, looks around and notices the absence of religious symbols other than those referring to St.Cuthbert. He remembers that growing up in the kingdom, the clerics of St.Cuthbert had started to push toward marginalizing other religions in the kingdom, and it looked as if they had succeeded at least here in the meantime.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Loce will move up to the inn, and sneak up to window to peek in.
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects:

18. - Top - End - #408
    Dwarf in the Playground

Just as Lócë risks a peek, which reveals a large, elegant dining room, he sees a door open and he hides immediately. Someone, no, multiple persons walk with heavy steps across the hardwood floor of the dining room. It is difficult to say how many, because they march almost perfectly in step. The steps approach the window, though they fortunately turn left right before coming too close. Lócë tries to press himself as close to the wall as possible as he realizes that the strangers are about to step out onto the village square.

The strangers do not notice Lócë as they come outside. They are apparently too occupied carrying their heavy load. Two children hold onto a vat full of some liquid, while the man behind them carries another vat in his hands, and several breads thanks to a wooden contraption strapped to his back.

They walk several steps, until they notice Marius.

"Hello stranger!" the man exclaims. "Welcome to Darsh. You must be weary from your travels. I apologize for the welcome today, but everyone is outside, everyone including the mayor, so that we get the hay into the dry in time before the storm.
    Why don't you come to my inn to rest?"

The man puts his vat down and starts unbuckling the contraption. The two children put their vat down, too, glad that they get a break already.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Dwarf in the Playground

From what Lócë can tell, the kids' relief because of the break is genuine, while it seems that the man hides some ulterior motive.
    Last edited by iop; 2008-10-16 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Motif is for proteins.

20. - Top - End - #410
    Ogre in the Playground

Marius Thanador

"Greetings!" Marius said, happy to see some folk after all. He rises and nods, holding the baby, so as to show that bowing is going a bit difficult. "Well, that explains why it was so deserted here. Thank you for the welcome, the name is Marius Thanador. You are right, we are weary, and we would like to go to your inn. But first, we must wait for the return of a friend who went to see if there were any around. When he returns, we will be happy to go to your inn for a rest."

21. - Top - End - #411
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Well, isn't that excellent!" exclaims the man joyously.

"You two: Bring the lemonade to the big linden tree and start serving. If you see a stranger, tell him to come here. Hurry, the hard-working people are thirsty!" he commands the two kids, who grimace as they pick up the heavy vat.

Then, the man turns back to Marius.
    "I am sure you will enjoy your hard-earned rest at my inn. We also have a crib for the baby, and for tonight I can provide an experienced baby-sitter so that you can sleep comfortably, if you wish."

22. - Top - End - #412
    Orc in the Playground

Hector

Hector adjusts his weight nervously at the man’s attention to the child, or perhaps it’s the new boots he to liberty with during the trek, regardless the questions he asks are unrelated to either issue.

“You wouldn’t happen to know where that smoke is coming from?” pointing to the plumes “…and what’s lemonade?”

Spoiler
    Show
    Fort saves
    15: (1d20+5)[11] damage: (1d4)[1]
    16: (1d20+5)[24] damage: (1d4)[3]
    17: (1d20+5)[11] damage: (1d4)[4]
    18: (1d20+5)[8] damage: (1d4)[3]

Hector will have taken the boots suspecting them to increase his speed if no-one else is using them; he’ll be able to keep up with the group now his suspicion is correct.
    all's well that ends well,
    and we all die alone

23. - Top - End - #413
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Smoke?" The man's eyes follow the direction in which Hector points, then he answers: "I don't know. Must be a hobgoblin tribe. They are quite savage and don't usually stay at a fine inn as mine, but they are harmless. And lemonade, oh, you will love that. It is a drink I make mixing the juice of lemons with the juice of imported sugar cane and with water - plus some additional ingredients for the uniquely refreshing zing. You will like it!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, the boots increase the speed by 10ft

24. - Top - End - #414
    Ogre in the Playground

Marius Thanador

Marius looks momentarily at the plumes before looking back at the man. He smiles as he hears the talk about lemonade and nods slightly. "Thank you for your offer. I would like to make sue of the services of the baby-sitter. And you sure know how to introduce a drink. It is your own created recipe, I assume? Anyway, I must thank you for the warm welcome, mister..?"

25. - Top - End - #415
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Samir.", the man responds. "Samir at your service. Thank you for your generous compliment - but would you know? I can take your introduction to the lemonade even further. Come here, I have a vat full of it in front of me. Have a cup while we wait for your friend to return."

26. - Top - End - #416
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Loce will wait in the shadows, his bow at the ready. He doesn't expect the stranger to offer poisoned lemonade, but something seems ... odd about him, and it doesn't hurt to be careful.
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects:

27. - Top - End - #417
    Ogre in the Playground

Marius Thanador

"I would like that, Samir, thank you." Says Marius. He moves towards the vat and will take a cup to take some lemonade. When the cup is full of lemonade, Marius will take a sip of it.

28. - Top - End - #418
    Dwarf in the Playground

The lemonade is as excellent and refreshing as advertised. The blend is masterful, so that even with the experienced tongue of a healer, Marius has trouble distinguishing the secret ingredients. Given the effects, however, Marius wonders whether Samir has spiked the drink with dust from red bull testes to ensure that the feeling of invigoration lasts for a while. Yes, the taste is certainly compatible with red bull testes. Nothing one would want to give to a baby, but certainly not harmful to adults as long as one doesn't overdo it, and as long as one is aware of its effect as a mild aphrodisiac.

29. - Top - End - #419
    Ogre in the Playground

Marius Thanador

Marius nods after taking a sip. He takes another gulp, tasting the drink even more. As he became more aware of the taste, he grins somewhat. "Quite the drink, Samir. Certainly as good as advertised. Hector, you could try some too." Marius nods again and finishes his drink. "Thank you for a splendid drink." He says in a polite fashion. Marius ponders for a moment about the red bull testes, but then shrugs. Hardly harmful if drunk in moderation.

30. - Top - End - #420
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Loce will sneak away, and then return to the inn from a different direction, walking in plain view down the street.
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects: