New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Default Overlord: The greatest threats to Ainz Ooal Gown

Just wondering who people think could actually threaten him, aside from the other members of Nazarick. I feel his truly greatest threat is actually Inferion.
    A distant second would be the dragon lord and his companion, the two obvious players.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Overlord: The greatest threats to Ainz Ooal Gown

I'm unfamiliar with Inferion, and google has failed me are you sure you have the name right?

Well the Deep Darkness Dragon Lord has actually killed a player on his own, but we know nothing of what level or what items said player had. Ainz was especially powerful character before crossing over, so one on one only a member of Nazarick could threaten him.

Another player could certainly be a threat to Ainz if one was revealed but thus far that hasn't happened. The Dragon Lord and his companion fought alongside a player and are aware that players are people who cross over from another world but they are not players themselves. This is not a spoiler because its not supposed to be a secret. Anyone who could actually threaten Ainz would have to be working so deeply behind the scenes as to have gone completely unnoticed by him.

This assumes a threat ever does appear as Overlord is in the same category as One Punch Man.
    Nale is no more, he has ceased to be, his hit points have dropped to negative ten, all he was is now dust in the wind, he is not Daniel Jackson dead, he is not Kenny dead, he is final dead, he will not pass through death's revolving door, his fate will not be undone because the executives renewed his show for another season. His time had run out, his string of fate has been cut, the blood on the knife has been wiped. He is an Ex-Nale! Now can we please resume watching the Order save the world.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Bad CGI.

The resulting fan reaction/reviews could kill his chances for having another season.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Vukodlak View Post
    I'm unfamiliar with Inferion, and google has failed me are you sure you have the name right?

Well the Deep Darkness Dragon Lord has actually killed a player on his own, but we know nothing of what level or what items said player had. Ainz was especially powerful character before crossing over, so one on one only a member of Nazarick could threaten him.

Another player could certainly be a threat to Ainz if one was revealed but thus far that hasn't happened. The Dragon Lord and his companion fought alongside a player and are aware that players are people who cross over from another world but they are not players themselves. This is not a spoiler because its not supposed to be a secret. Anyone who could actually threaten Ainz would have to be working so deeply behind the scenes as to have gone completely unnoticed by him.

This assumes a threat ever does appear as Overlord is in the same category as One Punch Man.
    Inferion is the alchemist kid. He is weak, and Ainz doesn't consider him a threat at all, going so far as to invite him to nazarick.

But he overlooks the pure threat he is. His talent is the ability to use any magic item. This includes the staff that Ainz is so proud of, as well as all of the world items he posesses. Of all the humans around, he is the only one close enough to ainz with an ability that is a direct threat.

Edit:Apparently, it is Nferia
    Last edited by Calthropstu; 2019-01-08 at 11:14 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Accidentally scrying into even more disturbing monster sex.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Mordekaiser for president.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Bad CGI.

The resulting fan reaction/reviews could kill his chances for having another season.
    Oh yes please.

Appologies to all those who for some reason like the show.
    But for some reason i find myself not only bored by it, but actively disliking and loathing it.

Likely in part because there isnt anything that can threaten Ainz.
    Or any of his slaves.

Because i would dare the claim Overlord is not in the same catagory as one Punch Man.
    They are not even close to each other. Saitama's struggles are just not physical. In the same way that most good Superman stories dont provide a challenge that can be solved with a punch.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Oh yes please.

Appologies to all those who for some reason like the show.
    But for some reason i find myself not only bored by it, but actively disliking and loathing it.

Likely in part because there isnt anything that can threaten Ainz.
    Or any of his slaves.

Because i would dare the claim Overlord is not in the same catagory as one Punch Man.
    They are not even close to each other. Saitama's struggles are just not physical. In the same way that most good Superman stories dont provide a challenge that can be solved with a punch.
    To play lich's advocate, half the fun of Overlord are also the non-physical struggles, in particular the protagonist has to worry:
    -(un)living up to his minions expectations that see him as the mightiest and smartest being in existence planning multiple steps ahead and a 3d chess grandmaster when most of the time he's just making up stuff as he goes along.
    -Although Ainz's ready to genocide populations on whims, he's actually decided to pursue the goal of creating his own nation through conquest then try to get the conquered people to all play along each other. And that means he can't just murderize everything on his path because then there would be nobody left to rule over. That's still not that evident in the anime, but in the light novels the story is quite more advanced and Ainz's main worries eventually become administration issues. Tripping himself half the time, like getting a bunch of dwarves on his side by inspiring them to reinvigorate their craft of runic weapons, while seeking to promote them by gifting fake (but still powerful) runic weapons to other people then sending super-powerful monsters after said people that go "Oh no a runic weapon TM! My one weakness!" only for everybody to be too frightened/enraged to notice the publicity and runic weapon demand remains low.

Now I'll agree it's in a quite different tone from Saitama who struggles with almost nobody recognizing his deeds, plus gradually One Punch man has been focusing more on the other heroes, whereas Ainz remains firmly in the spotlight and has no lack of people worshiping/fearing him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

well most of his easy I win buttons kinda don't work( some of the most powerful items in his arsenal allows him to call gm to either run command for him or add content for him.) otherwise thanks to his idiocy of changing albedos parameters no one at his caliber has the chance to meet him. his best enemy would be his boredom which has no chance to succeed due has his second most idiotic mistake of giving albedo you can resurrect me access due to her being the secretary of him. and thanks to demiurge's flaw of higher thinking it makes impossible to either kill him or make sure he stays dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    To play lich's advocate, half the fun of Overlord are also the non-physical struggles, in particular the protagonist has to worry:
    -(un)living up to his minions expectations that see him as the mightiest and smartest being in existence planning multiple steps ahead and a 3d chess grandmaster when most of the time he's just making up stuff as he goes along.
    -Although Ainz's ready to genocide populations on whims, he's actually decided to pursue the goal of creating his own nation through conquest then try to get the conquered people to all play along each other. And that means he can't just murderize everything on his path because then there would be nobody left to rule over. That's still not that evident in the anime, but in the light novels the story is quite more advanced and Ainz's main worries eventually become administration issues. Tripping himself half the time, like getting a bunch of dwarves on his side by inspiring them to reinvigorate their craft of runic weapons, while seeking to promote them by gifting fake (but still powerful) runic weapons to other people then sending super-powerful monsters after said people that go "Oh no a runic weapon TM! My one weakness!" only for everybody to be too frightened/enraged to notice the publicity and runic weapon demand remains low.

Now I'll agree it's in a quite different tone from Saitama who struggles with almost nobody recognizing his deeds, plus gradually One Punch man has been focusing more on the other heroes, whereas Ainz remains firmly in the spotlight and has no lack of people worshiping/fearing him.
    I disagree i love both stories but for different reasons than you. Overlord to me is fun precisely because it doesn't focus too much on Ainz and is more about how his presence affects the world. I love all of the side characters and adventures living their lives, the lizard man arc is among my favorites.

And i love one punch man because of the exploration of saitama's character and emotional struggles as he finally builds up a core of friends and finds some fulfilment in life.
    Last edited by Devonix; 2019-01-09 at 02:57 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Yes alright, that sounds a little deeper. Like a place where Ainz has actual trouble and setbacks.
    If the center of the story had actually been about the super-immortal lich trying and failing at being at being an evil mastermind, then i likely would have been a little more forgiving.
    But i though anime most of all read like someone ****ing to their level 99 lich wizard/sorcerer/necromancer/wizard...

Well.. i think thats actually only a minor issue. His actual challenge is his own loneliness and disconnect from both other people and his own emotions.
    There i actually find it kinda hilarious that he is the one needing saving. As well as that he was so by among others King, of all people.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Overlord seems to only sloghtly be about the actual overlord though. So its ok if he has little in the way of setbacks. It would be like naming a series after a natural disaster when the show is about the survivors

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Devonix View Post
    I disagree i love both stories but for different reasons than you. Overlord to me is fun precisely because it doesn't focus too much on Ainz and is more about how his presence affects the world. I love all of the side characters and adventures living their lives, the lizard man arc is among my favorites.
    Oh, I also quite enjoy all the Overlord side characters and the lizard girl arc was pretty good stuff. But Ainz is still at the center of the stage quite a lot of time, be him playing at being a warrior adventurer or deciding to go exploring new places with just a tiny retinue. Particularly in the light novel during the empire, dwarf and holy kingdom arcs Ainz is on the vanguard in his lich self.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonix View Post
    And i love one punch man because of the exploration of saitama's character and emotional struggles as he finally builds up a core of friends and finds some fulfilment in life.
    That's good too, but let's be honest Saitama's been getting less and less screentime, with the arcs becoming more of "other heroes struggle against big monsters for multiple chapters then Saitama out of nowhere saves the day in a few panels" or even "other heroes struggle against big monsters and manage to eventually win, then Saitama's shown to be doing something completely normal". But just like Overlord, the side characters in One Punch man have been quite well made and I love seeing the story from their perspective too. Heck, even the monsters themselves getting more detailed background!

Yes alright, that sounds a little deeper. Like a place where Ainz has actual trouble and setbacks.
    If the center of the story had actually been about the super-immortal lich trying and failing at being at being an evil mastermind, then i likely would have been a little more forgiving.
    But i though anime most of all read like someone ****ing to their level 99 lich wizard/sorcerer/necromancer/wizard...
    There's a power fantasy component too yes, but like Devonix pointed out there's stuff like the lizard girl arc where we see other characters just dealing with everyday life in fantasy world.

Well.. i think thats actually only a minor issue. His actual challenge is his own loneliness and disconnect from both other people and his own emotions.
    There i actually find it kinda hilarious that he is the one needing saving. As well as that he was so by among others King, of all people.
    Well there's still armies of super-dangerous monsters in One Punch Man plotting to conquer the world that need to be punched.
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

The one controlling the mechanism that keeps him logged into the game and keeping his emotions in check.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    The one controlling the mechanism that keeps him logged into the game and keeping his emotions in check.
    This isn't Sword Arts Online, or Dot/Hack he's not trapped in a virtual world. But in a new reality where he has become his avatar.
    Nale is no more, he has ceased to be, his hit points have dropped to negative ten, all he was is now dust in the wind, he is not Daniel Jackson dead, he is not Kenny dead, he is final dead, he will not pass through death's revolving door, his fate will not be undone because the executives renewed his show for another season. His time had run out, his string of fate has been cut, the blood on the knife has been wiped. He is an Ex-Nale! Now can we please resume watching the Order save the world.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

While this is not necessarily a "Logged in" thing, more a reality hack, I agree.

WHoever makes him "calm" and put him there and his opwn Hubris are by far his most dangerous enemies.

Direct confrontation, when he is able to plan ahead, will never pose a threat unless it no sells ALL his powers somehow. WHich is kind of both a pro and a con for the series.

And yeah, the CGI is ridiculously bad. But sof ar thats the only thing I dont like about the Anime (did not read ahead and dont intend to ^^).
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

You're assuming there's some mastermind, but I don't think so, there's like zero hints anywhere. The way I see it his transporation there was some incident.

Also the whole "feelings shutdown" is most probably because he's an UNDEAD, and a skeleton to boot. He no longer needs to sleep or eat, doesn't get tired, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by GrayDeath View Post
    And yeah, the CGI is ridiculously bad. But sof ar thats the only thing I dont like about the Anime (did not read ahead and dont intend to ^^).
    Would strongly suggest reading behind then since the anime inevitably skips a lot of nice details. Plus the light novel has some pretty nice ilustrations and even character sheets!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Vukodlak View Post
    This isn't Sword Arts Online, or Dot/Hack he's not trapped in a virtual world. But in a new reality where he has become his avatar.
    You're assuming there's some mastermind, but I don't think so, there's like zero hints anywhere. The way I see it his transporation there was some incident.

Also the whole "feelings shutdown" is most probably because he's an UNDEAD, and a skeleton to boot. He no longer needs to sleep or eat, doesn't get tired, etc.!
    That doesn't square with what he says or how the feeling shutdown works. He himself speculates about it.

It's not that he DOESN'T have feelings at all. In fact, he is constantly being subjected to events that provoke a range of feelings..mostly gratuitously getting flustered by his female subordinates making sexual advances. However, every time his feelings reach a certain point we see a CLEAR aura effect around him and a sudden calmness take over. In one case, where the stimuli was strong enough we see it happened multiple times and changing his behavior, almost as if he was fighting it. That seems like some external force suppressing his feelings and making the protagonist conform to a certain expected profile...it is not consistent with him just being an undead that just "doesn't have feelings."

Again the suppression of feelings take place at specific times or triggered by specific events, combined with a clear magic effect (that no one in game notices or comments on). All this suggests an outside power monitoring his mental state and that his circumstance and form is not product of him simply turning into an undead lich one day.
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

That doesn't square with what he says or how the feeling shutdown works. He himself speculates about it.

It's not that he DOESN'T have feelings at all. In fact, he is constantly being subjected to events that provoke a range of feelings..mostly gratuitously getting flustered by his female subordinates making sexual advances. However, every time his feelings reach a certain point we see a CLEAR aura effect around him and a sudden calmness take over. In one case, where the stimuli was strong enough we see it happened multiple times and changing his behavior, almost as if he was fighting it. That seems like some external force suppressing his feelings and making the protagonist conform to a certain expected profile...it is not consistent with him just being an undead that just "doesn't have feelings."

Again the suppression of feelings take place at specific times or triggered by specific events, combined with a clear magic effect (that no one in game notices or comments on). All this suggests an outside power monitoring his mental state and that his circumstance and form is not product of him simply turning into an undead lich one day.
    That's because he's still working by gamish mechanics like having HP and mana values. Being undead probably comes with some kind of "if emotion level goes above X, emotion level drop by Y". Like in WoW undead players get Will of the Forsaken that allows them to remove any Fear(doubt/panic)/Charm(sexual advances)/Sleep effect once every 2 minutes.

Meanwhile Ainz muses multiple times about how calm he feels about butchering fellow humans. He feels zero regret about purging the living when not so long ago he was a breathing warm-blooded humie. Becoming a lich clearly changed his mind besides his body.

Even more important, this is Ainz we're talking about. Mister super paranoid. If there was the slightest hint that some external force was monitoring and manipulating him, then Ainz would be doing his damnest to find out who was doing it.

But instead Ainz asssumes that's just how his new being works, a tireless remorseless undead with auto-trigger Will of the Forsaken.
    Last edited by deuterio12; 2019-01-10 at 10:07 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

In Overlord, who is a threat to Ainz...?

Well...for one, any other member of his guild that might have come with him to the New World. Because of his reliance on Insta-death effects Ainz is far from the strongest member of his guild since any high levels player worth their salt had protection from such effects on them. Touch Me in particular would probably be royally kissed If he found out what Momomga has been up to but basically any high level PC would be a serious threat to his existence with or without planning.

The Guardians of Nazerick and any of the very powerful monsters inside the Tomb like Rubedo, Pandora's Actor, and leftover NPCs from previous PC emergences. There is a reason that he is actually worried about his devoted subjects finding out he isn't what he's thought of and its because individually or in a group they could kill him.

World-class item users. They exist and are being used by people in the New World. Take the mirror that mind controlled Shaltear...in theory, that would have worked just as well on Ainz as well. Or the item that changed the New World to use Yggdrasil's magic system. World-class items are scary, scary things and Platinum Dragon Lord is sitting on a stockpile of powerful magical items that likely includes a World item or two.

Speaking of, the dragon lords and their ability to use the natural magic of the New World. The author has already mentioned that Deeper Darkness Dragon (I think?) has killed players, on his own, in the past and in so doing acquired a World-Class item and also said that Ainz would be in the fight of his unlife if he fought Deeper Darkness. And Deeper Darkness is not the most powerful Dragon Lord, Platinum is. Platinum also has a proper level of respect and caution when killing 'player character's as he understands judt how dangerous they can truly be.

The 'half-God's of the Slane Theocracy...this one is a long shot but the half-PC 'demigods' of the Slane Theocracy are noted to be exceptionally powerful figures who almost seem to run on belief...much like how PCs in Yggdrasil could earn 'mentoring experience' for helping lower level players. They also seem to ignore the 'natural' limits on their strength. So one COULD be a threat to Ainz but we don't actually know if one is.

...Climb. Yeah yeah, this is mostly just gut feeling and wanting to believe in Stronoff's student, but I honestly think Climb will eventually be the one to destroy Ainz.

This is all off the top of my head and what my research has revealed, other people might know differently.

As has also been mentioned though, a big part of the fun of Overlord, for me at least, is the people around Ainz and what they are doing as much as Ainz delivering awesome curbstomps.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    ...Climb. Yeah yeah, this is mostly just gut feeling and wanting to believe in Stronoff's student, but I honestly think Climb will eventually be the one to destroy Ainz.
    Although it would be pretty awesome to see Climb, well, climbing up all the way to the top of the power levels and striking down Ainz, I believe it's just as likely he ends up mind-broken when he finds out that the princess he lives for is a complete psycopath. That or betrayed by said princess since we know she's working for Nazarick, and she already said she would be just fine nursing a crippling Climb, whereas even if Climb defeats Ainz, the rest of Nazarick would seek bloody revenge.

Plus Ainz is still a lich, so for all we know Climb destroying him ends just as well as Roy destroying Xykon, the super skeleton will just come back. Or since Shalltear could be restored with gold, maybe they can just pay to have Ainz back.

So to defeat Ainz one must first defeat the whole might of Nazarick first.

21. - Top - End - #21

If there ever is a proper ending, I expect it to involve Albedo's scheming getting off the rails, with the final threat being Rubedo.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Braininthejar2 View Post
    If there ever is a proper ending, I expect it to involve Albedo's scheming getting off the rails, with the final threat being Rubedo.
    I think it's pretty boring if the only real threats we ever see Ains facing are his own followers. They already did Shelltear.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Braininthejar2 View Post
    It would be kinda anti-climatic if the final threat is somebody that's only briefly mentioned once, you gotta build up your big villains properly over time.

24. - Top - End - #24

It would be kinda anti-climatic if the final threat is somebody that's only briefly mentioned once, you gotta build up your big villains properly over time.
    It would give the story a certain "we end where we began" symmetry though.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Well I expect Rubedo is going to be showing up more than an off-hand mention. The mere fact Albedo is creating a conspiracy to kill any PCs from Nazerick before Ainz can get in contact with them means that said conspiracy will come into play in some capacity before the end. Its all a matter of which of his friends and how they show up, plus if Nazerick's 'Strongest Team' is capable of killing them to tell what happens...though considering Rubedo's reputation as the strongest being in the tomb, probably not well.

Although it would be pretty awesome to see Climb, well, climbing up all the way to the top of the power levels and striking down Ainz, I believe it's just as likely he ends up mind-broken when he finds out that the princess he lives for is a complete psycopath. That or betrayed by said princess since we know she's working for Nazarick, and she already said she would be just fine nursing a crippling Climb, whereas even if Climb defeats Ainz, the rest of Nazarick would seek bloody revenge.

Plus Ainz is still a lich, so for all we know Climb destroying him ends just as well as Roy destroying Xykon, the super skeleton will just come back. Or since Shalltear could be restored with gold, maybe they can just pay to have Ainz back.

So to defeat Ainz one must first defeat the whole might of Nazarick first.
    See, I don't see that happening because there's been plenty of chances for Climb to get all mind-broken and such and it just hasn't happened. He'd probably be ticked off and feel betrayed finding out Princess Renner's real nature, but I think he's just as likely to try to 'fix' her more than anything.

Also, Ainz' status as a lich won't help with that. We've already seen liches destroyed in Overlord with no capacity to return to life and Shalltear was able to be restored with gold because she was an NPC of the Tomb which translates to Ainz being able to spend mountains of gold to bring her back to actual unlife. I doubt it'd work for Ainz and I don't think ressurreaction magic, like we know exists, would work on a lich considering his undead status. Or, if it did, it might bring back actual flesh and blood Momonga/Ainz' player in the New World.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Well I expect Rubedo is going to be showing up more than an off-hand mention. The mere fact Albedo is creating a conspiracy to kill any PCs from Nazerick before Ainz can get in contact with them means that said conspiracy will come into play in some capacity before the end. Its all a matter of which of his friends and how they show up, plus if Nazerick's 'Strongest Team' is capable of killing them to tell what happens...though considering Rubedo's reputation as the strongest being in the tomb, probably not well.
    The problem with "kill the other PCs" is that the other Nazerick NPCs are each fanatically loyal to their own PC creator, although Albedo's not just a pretty face and is pretty smart on her own and her main job is being in charge of administration so maybe she could pull off some 3D chess moves to manipulate everybody else, could be quite interesting, and may just be the ultimate test for Ainz tactical genius.

See, I don't see that happening because there's been plenty of chances for Climb to get all mind-broken and such and it just hasn't happened. He'd probably be ticked off and feel betrayed finding out Princess Renner's real nature, but I think he's just as likely to try to 'fix' her more than anything.
    As a counter-point, I would say the reason Climb's avoiding being mind-broken is because he has always relied in the princess as his emotional anchor. That's how he survived super buttler's killing pressure after all, he may not have much talent on his own but he will to do his best for the generous, kind and caring princess he knows and worships.

Plus remember, the psycho princess crafted her "nice" personality for the explicit purpose of pleasing Climb. There's nothing to 'fix' under her mask, that's just how she's always been since she was a little girl, and those few humans that know the truth have been shown to be terrified of her.

So if Climb loses his emotional anchor, the one thing he's been fighting and struggling for since he remembers, that the one who "rescued" him is a mercyless monster toying with him all along (while killing any other nearby women that looked at him funny), things are not going to be pretty.

Also, Ainz' status as a lich won't help with that. We've already seen liches destroyed in Overlord with no capacity to return to life and Shalltear was able to be restored with gold because she was an NPC of the Tomb which translates to Ainz being able to spend mountains of gold to bring her back to actual unlife. I doubt it'd work for Ainz and I don't think ressurreaction magic, like we know exists, would work on a lich considering his undead status. Or, if it did, it might bring back actual flesh and blood Momonga/Ainz' player in the New World.
    You're right, we haven't seen any evidence of liches in Overlordverse to have phylacteries.

However we've seen mentions of Wish items, plus since they're working with gamey mechanics surely there has to be a way to restore undead PCs like there's ressurection magic for the living.

Momonga coming back as a meatbag and thus losing his auto-Will of the Forsaken (and probably a chunk of his powers) would make an interesting story shift too.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

The problem with "kill the other PCs" is that the other Nazerick NPCs are each fanatically loyal to their own PC creator, although Albedo's not just a pretty face and is pretty smart on her own and her main job is being in charge of administration so maybe she could pull off some 3D chess moves to manipulate everybody else, could be quite interesting, and may just be the ultimate test for Ainz tactical genius.
    That's just it though, the other parts of that alliance won't care about Albedo's plan. Pandora's Actor was made by Momonga and only really cares about him, he also to a degree agrees with the decision that Albedo came to. Rubedo was made by one of the PCs, sure, but I don't think Albedo has considered that herself considering the one time its brought up she's taken aback and has to actually think about who she's more loyal to, Ainz or her creator. So yeah, sure, Rubedo could disrupt the whole alliance but by the sound of things, Rubedo was accidentally mistreated by the supreme beings and might even hold a grudge against them. So its not so much needing to manipulate all the other Nazerick NPCs as killing the PC in question before their existence becomes known to Nazerick which...she can pull off.

Its still a sticky situation with more than a few places where it can go wrong, but hardly impossible.

As a counter-point, I would say the reason Climb's avoiding being mind-broken is because he has always relied in the princess as his emotional anchor. That's how he survived super buttler's killing pressure after all, he may not have much talent on his own but he will to do his best for the generous, kind and caring princess he knows and worships.

Plus remember, the psycho princess crafted her "nice" personality for the explicit purpose of pleasing Climb. There's nothing to 'fix' under her mask, that's just how she's always been since she was a little girl, and those few humans that know the truth have been shown to be terrified of her.

So if Climb loses his emotional anchor, the one thing he's been fighting and struggling for since he remembers, that the one who "rescued" him is a mercyless monster toying with him all along (while killing any other nearby women that looked at him funny), things are not going to be pretty.
    I'm not saying its actually possible to 'fix' Renner, I'm saying Climb may very well try regardless of how possible it is to his detriment

You're right, we haven't seen any evidence of liches in Overlordverse to have phylacteries.

However we've seen mentions of Wish items, plus since they're working with gamey mechanics surely there has to be a way to restore undead PCs like there's ressurection magic for the living.

Momonga coming back as a meatbag and thus losing his auto-Will of the Forsaken (and probably a chunk of his powers) would make an interesting story shift too.
    Well we haven't really...or rather we've heard of a single wish-kind of item that had a single use and...its been used already.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

That's just it though, the other parts of that alliance won't care about Albedo's plan. Pandora's Actor was made by Momonga and only really cares about him, he also to a degree agrees with the decision that Albedo came to. Rubedo was made by one of the PCs, sure, but I don't think Albedo has considered that herself considering the one time its brought up she's taken aback and has to actually think about who she's more loyal to, Ainz or her creator. So yeah, sure, Rubedo could disrupt the whole alliance but by the sound of things, Rubedo was accidentally mistreated by the supreme beings and might even hold a grudge against them. So its not so much needing to manipulate all the other Nazerick NPCs as killing the PC in question before their existence becomes known to Nazerick which...she can pull off.

Its still a sticky situation with more than a few places where it can go wrong, but hardly impossible.
    Those places are pretty hard to avoid:
    -She needs to discover where the other PCs are before Ainz or most of the other NPCs. She's often stuck overseeing Nazerick and Pandora stuck playing Momonga's double while Ainz and several of the other NPCs are out there adventuring, so there's already a big chance they run into another player before Albedo or Pandora.
    -Let's assume she gets some loyal scouts that manage to report to her the presence of another player directly to Albedo. What then? I don't recall she being able to teleport, she can't be gone from Nazerick on her own for too long, and she's supposed to be specialized in defense, so it doesn't sound to me like Albedo can pull off a fast assassination against a max lv player even if she finds her target.

I'm not saying its actually possible to 'fix' Renner, I'm saying Climb may very well try regardless of how possible it is to his detriment
    What would be the point for him then? All Climb's done, he's done for the illusion of a nice Renner. If that illusion is shattered, there's nothing left to drive him to do anything, he'll most certainly be back to that lone kid curled on a corner waiting for the release of death (or go in a berserk rage).

Well we haven't really...or rather we've heard of a single wish-kind of item that had a single use and...its been used already.
    Three uses, another guild player had their own copy, and lv95 casters can learn how to cast it by themselves.

Since we know that everybody else in the guild had abandoned the game and left their gear to the guild which Ainz refused to sell/use and just left in display, that means there's at least one other ring of wishes stashed in Nazerick's secret dungeon, aka under care of Pandora who would surely hold nothing back to bring back his creator.
    Last edited by deuterio12; 2019-01-14 at 01:14 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

As someone who only has seen the Anime (I might read after, as recommended, once my reading list is less foll^^): When was this Rubedo guy mentioned? I dont remember hearing of him/her?

If its only in the Novels, dont mind me. ^^
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Indeed only on the light novels, and not even in the original web novels.

Even in the LN it's been 6 whole volumes since she was ever mentioned so again it would be strange if Rubedo is suddenly the final boss. In particular because Ainz knows all her stats so no matter how stronk she is, Shalltear was also supposed to be stronger than Ainz and we all know how that ended when Ainz has the ultimate power of metagaming and gacha items on his side.