New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Azzelfet's Archaeology Adventures! [IC]

You are currently on the base of Mistspire, Azzelfet's ancestral home. Perched atop a cloud, the massive silver spire is home to many mist dragons, and a gobsmackingly stupid amount of wealth. You are the fourth team Azzelfet is sending off, and you saw the third team departing via a teleportation circle.

Azzelfet; in their natural form of a dragon some 8' at the shoulder, with pale, slightly iridescent scales; speaks to your assembled group. "Good morning, associates. I trust today finds you well?" They wait a moment for you to respond, then carry on. "I will be sending your team approximately 300 miles north of Vior'La. The mountains there are chilly, so I am having some of my servants fetch cold weather gear for you at the moment, but all the same, keep fire handy, and stay warm. The mountains, which have had their original names forgotten, are rumoured to contain a Cold Volcanic Forge, as well as deposits of mithral, admantine, and perhaps even rarer materials. I don't expect this expedition to return much in the way of goods, merely information. But do not be concerned-I will make sure you are paid appropriately for what you return with."

As they talk, you see a small group of kobolds, dressed in plain silk robes, coming forward with thick clothes, boots, snowshoes, blankets, and various other cold weather gear. "Take a few minutes to stow the gear and ready yourself-the portal will open in ten. Are there any questions?"

OOC Thread
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2019-01-08 at 10:37 AM.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: Azzelfet's Archaeology Adventures! [IC]

Buster nods at thier benefactor when it inquires as to the party's well-being and listens closely to the explanation of the mission. He tries to think of what he may have read about Cold Volcanic Forges and what they might be looking for when they go to the mountains.

Spoiler: History Check
    Show
    (1d20)[12]
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Garret did his best to stifle a disappointed sigh. Snow meant wet feet, and try as he might, shoes just didn't feel comfortable. He decided instead to look through the gear the kobolds were bringing to make sure there were some bits and bobs for Muster as well. As he does so, he responds to their employer's question with a gruff, "Aye.
    How do we get back from there if yer sendin' us through a portal?"
    Quote Originally Posted by fibericon View Post
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Maximo Turathanni idly looked around, noting the group that left the mountain camp via portal. I guess that’ll be our route out, too, he thought to himself. Beats walking, I guess. Hopefully these things work two ways.

As the kobolds came over with some equipment, Max took a pair of snowshoes offered by one of them and started to lash them to his pack. When he was offered a fur parka, he deferred, gently the first time, then when the little thing persisted, Max scowled at it. “I said no, okay?” He shook his head, as if aggravated at having to repeat himself. “The cold doesn’t bother me so much.” He turned up the collar of his jacket, and turned back to Azzelfet, with the unapologetic look of a man used to the help listening when he said something.

The halfling’s question resonated with Max. Sensible fellow, he noted to himself, and turned to address the dragon. “Indeed, I was wondering much the same thing. And do we have a general idea of where to go relative to the spot we teleport in, or are we literally getting the lay of the land here?”
    Last edited by GhorrinRedblade; 2019-01-08 at 03:04 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

Oooo. Three hundred miles north of Vior'la? Let me consult my notes for relevant information. She remarks pulling out a series of self made notes, a Raven standing on her shoulder.

So Vika. What do you think?

Spoiler
    Show

Arcana (Knowledge of magical techniques common to the area, magical history, etc.) (1d20+6)[16]
    History (1d20+8)[26]
    Nature (Climate and terrain and such.) (1d20+4)[18]
    Religion (So that it's not alone.) (1d20+4)[16]
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

6. - Top - End - #6

"In the gear there should be a Charm of Recall. You can use that to return to here," Azzelfet replies.

Spoiler: Checks
    Show
    Spoiler: History DC 12
    Show
    Nothing new from what was told to you.

Spoiler: DC 26
    Show
    The forges have supposedly made some artifacts, including Seers Bane.

Spoiler: Arcana DC 16
    Show
    You recall some of the basic rituals for taming cold lava-they take hours, though, so make sure you're in safety before attempting.

Spoiler: Nature DC 18
    Show
    The weather is cold there, but not unbearably. A well-prepared group shouldn't have too much of an issue.

Spoiler: Religion
    Show
    Wait, what? Clarify.

Show
    Show

Show

7. - Top - End - #7

NinjaGuy

Buster accepts some of the cold weather gear that looks like it might fit him, lashing a pair of snowshoes to his backpack, and taking a scarf, a heavy cloak and coat. Teleporting means they probably won't be able to take the cart and horse. Perhaps he should inquire about whether to take his mapping gear.

"Should we be bringing mapping supplies, since it sounds as though this area has been unexplored for quite some time? I have some skill at it if it would be valuable," he offers.
    Last edited by Nova_Eclipse; 2019-01-08 at 09:32 PM.
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

8. - Top - End - #8

"That would be most helpful," Azzelfet replies. "It will help any further expeditions to that area."

Show
    Show

Show

9. - Top - End - #9

Ooo. The coldforges at those mountains were said to have forged mutliple artifacts, one of them of particular notice, the seer's bane. That was used to to defeat multiple liches during the beginning of the Eternal night. Lyndis remarks using the elven phrase for the undead rising.

There hasn't been any hard evidence of it's whereabouts since then though. Just rumors. Lyn remarks rising from the floor.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

10. - Top - End - #10

NinjaGuy

Buster nods, and checks his pack, ensuring the cartographer's supplies the dragon has allowed him to borrow are all present and accounted for. Then he shoulders it and nods to Lyn.

"If we can find it, it would prove most useful."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

On seeing his new warforged companion produce a set of mapping tools, Max's face shows no small degree of relief. "If you're handy with those, well, I sure as Hell aren't. No reason for me to bother in that case." Max balances the kit on top of a pack being carried near him by one of the kobolds. "Here, file this."

He turns to the aforementioned Charm of Recall, looking it over. Turning to the elven woman, he asks, "Any chance you can magic that up so it always stays in your pocket, or you always know where it is, or some such? It won't do for us to lose our ticket home."

12. - Top - End - #12

"I suggest keeping careful track of it. Because, no, there's no magic to help you with that," Azzelfet responds. "If that's all, like I said, the portal will open in... Eight minutes now. Good luck!"

Assuming you don't do anything important for the next eight minutes, the portal opens. The one kobold who has stayed to supervise says, in a gravelly voice, "It will remain open for the next thirty seconds."

The portal is a silvery void in space, showing a blurry and indistinct view through it. You can see a small plateau, covered in snow, with bits of gray rock visible poking up above the snow.

Show
    Show

Show

13. - Top - End - #13

NinjaGuy

Buster nods at Max, and bows when Azzelfet wishes them luck.

"Thank you, sir. We shall do our best!"

When the portal opens, he calmly strides through, exuding confidence. No sense in being timid after all.

After passing through the portal, he'll start trying to get his bearings by looking for landmarks that could be used for navigation.

14. - Top - End - #14

On the other side, you can see a sharp drop-off behind you, leading down the mountainside. To your left and right, the plateau stretches on, slowly growing slimmer. And ahead is a path leading up, carved from the stone of the mountain and covered in snow.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Going down the mountain will be a difficult Athletics check. Going up the stairs won't require any checks, unless you Dash, in which case it'll be a DC 8 Acrobatics check to avoid falling down 1d3*10' of stairs, taking 1d3 damage per 10' fallen and ending prone.

The snow is difficult terrain.

Show
    Show

Show

15. - Top - End - #15

Lyndis on the plateau will pull out her notes, and immediately crotch to her knees trying to figure out how old the stone steps are.

Spoiler
    Show

Not sure what check this would be.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

As he approaches the portal, Maximo can't help but turn back to the dragon. "Fret not, we'll do our best to bring you back something nice," he says with a grin and a wink, then steps through.

Okay, just because I don't find it cold, doesn't make it a great place to visit. Max surveys the plateau, then nods toward the stairs. "I don't know about any of you, but I think maybe we try the easy way first, no?"
    Last edited by GhorrinRedblade; 2019-01-10 at 06:34 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17

Spoiler: Check
    Show
    I'm gonna call that Investigation. I'll roll for you, to save time.

(1d20+8)[14]

Lyn is able to ascertain the steps are old. How old, she's really not sure.
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2019-01-10 at 01:16 AM.

Show
    Show

Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Satisfied with the answer given, Garret helps Muster into his cold-weather gear and barding, and then gets himself bundled up. With boots even, despite the discomfort. He listens to the others as they discuss the finer points of traveling, and it seems the dragon had indeed brought a capable crew together. The halfling wasn't quite sure which role he would have to play, but gave Muster a pat on the side for reassurance that the pair would be able to help somehow, even if it was as simple as holding up a lantern and lighting the occasional campfire. When the portal opens, he gives a curious glance inside and gives their employer a smart salute before saddling up on Muster and urging him through the portal.

On the other side, Garret is glad that he did bundle up. He pulls the heavy coat a bit tighter around him and he reaches to scratch behind the mastiff's ears to make sure he was comfortable as well. As the others began to gather their bearings, he hops down from his trusted hound and looks around. He doubted anyone would have come through here recently, but he encourages Muster to sniff for a scent anyways. Never know what a mastiff might find.

Spoiler
    Show
    Muster's Perception; Advantage with Keen Smell, (1d20+3)[18] or (1d20+3)[11]
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Max pauses in his aproach to the stairs, as he notes the dog sniffing around, and turns to the halfling who seems to be his owner. "Is he good on scents?" He pauses, as if just realizing something. "Since Azzelfet didn't see fit to do it, I'll introduce myself. Maximo Turathanni. Pleased to meet you all, and I hope this is a lucrative venture for all of us." He extends a hand to the halfling.

Show
    I haven't finalized the details of Max's appearance yet, but I think it'll be pretty "normal" tiefling. Reddish skin, horns (Max's are big enough that a hat is out of the question), tail, and so on. I'll make that an action item and see to it ASAP.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Garret looks up at the inquiring tiefling and beams as big a smile as he can manage in return. He takes the tiefling's hand eagerly, potentially squeezing the taller humanoid's hand a little too tightly. "Pleased t'make yer acquaintance." He looks at the others and extends the thought to the others as well. "Garret Strongbones, at your service." He releases the tiefling's hand and gives a small bow before checking on Muster again. "As for him," he jerks his chin at the mastiff sniffing a few feet away, that's Muster. He's no bloodhound, but he'll do better than me in finding anything with all this snow."

21. - Top - End - #21

Right. Lyn says righting herself up. I am Lyndis Trisweyns, Elven wizard extraordinaire. She performs a short bow.

The stairs are old, if I had to guess before the boneapocalypse Lyn comments gesturing to the stone steps But I don't know for sure.

22. - Top - End - #22

Muster sniffs about, and barks quietly towards the steep downward slope. He looks at Garret, a doggy grin on his face, indicating he's probably smelling some game.

Spoiler: Perception Check
    Show
    Nothing important found by scent. Yet.

Show
    Show

Show

23. - Top - End - #23

NinjaGuy

Buster examines the steps after Lyn gives her assesment and nods at her, then at Max and Garret.

"I am called Buster. A pleasure." He turns, and gestures towards the stairs. "From the looks of things, we might as well follow the stairs up. It will be treacherous going if we try to head back down the mountain."
    Last edited by Nova_Eclipse; 2019-01-10 at 01:48 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Garret waves in turn to each of his companions as they introduce themselves. When Muster barks and gives him a look of 'I found food!' Garret shakes his head and chuckles. "Ye can chase after rabbits when we get back home, ya overgrown walkin' stomach." With that he signals for him to heel, and looks up the stairs as Buster suggests they move forward. "Aye, best get a move on. The quicker we get out of the snow, the happier I'll be to get out of these boots."
    Last edited by WhismurWanders; 2019-01-10 at 03:31 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"Sounds good to me, Garret. I've got no love for this kind of weather either, regardless of how well I can handle it!" He gestures at himself, indicating his lack of cold-weather gear, then turns back to the stairs.

As he starts climbing them, he calls back, "Mind your footing here, one patch of ice or a missed footing and one of us will have a really bad day."

26. - Top - End - #26

You begin to climb the stairs. Taking your time, there's no real danger from the ice-any slight missteps are easy enough to be mitigated by your companions.

As you go, you see something moving underneath the thick layer of snow and ice a bit above you, where the terrain has leveled out a little bit. Whatever it is, it's at least the size of a horse, and is making its way towards your general direction. It is currently some 100' away.

Show
    Show

Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Maximo tenses up. "Steady folks, it seems we're about to have some form of company." A weapon appears in his hand, a rapier whose blade appears to be made of some unknown green metal.

Show
    I'm summoning my pact blade. Two questions for you, GM. 1) Are we still on the stairs as we see this, and if so, how far would we have to go until we reach level ground? 2) Is it a reasonable assumption that I'd have used my armor of shadows invocation (at-will mage armor at some point in advance of this? It lasts for 8 hours, I could have done it while we were still in Azzelfet's base camp.

28. - Top - End - #28

Show
    You're about 20' from the level ground. The stairs continue up, but there's a second sort of plateau area, where you can get level ground. Still snow-covered, though.

And yes, having Mage Armor up is fine.

I will say this, though:

IF THERE ARE ANY LONG-DURATION BUFFS YOU WOULD HAVE UP, PLEASE INCLUDE THEM IN YOUR NEXT POST!

Show
    Show

Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Max rushes up the stairs, the better to reach level ground and face any potential foes.

Show
    Point well taken about the buffs. It's my intent to have Max using that all the damn time, but I'll make sure to be explicit about that going forward. Thanks.

While I'm at it, I'll use my movement to make for the level ground, then. If the stairs are difficult terrain and thus require a Dash (and for me, that is a bonus action, so I can do that on top of my regular movement), here's my Acrobatics check:
    (1d20+5)[10]
    That was closer than I'd have liked, but I'll take it!
    Last edited by GhorrinRedblade; 2019-01-10 at 03:53 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30

NinjaGuy

Buster notes movement through the snow and allows Max to move ahead, instead choosing to move closer to Lyn, taking up a protective posture slightly in front of and to her left side. His stance isn't one that seems to be natural to a holy 'forged, despite the symbol on the chain around his neck. Instead, it seems to be one that suggests he's more than capable of using his entire body as a weapon.

"Stay close, Miss Lyndis. No telling what this might be."