New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Questionable Content 14: "I Deserve A Fancy Butt Emblem."

There's also the fact we're not travelling back in time to see the scene happening. We're listening to a retelling of it by either Brun and Renee, who might very well believe that the confused look at the bullies face was "OMG she's so right, I'll be nothing!" instead of "Huh? What she just say? Weirdo!"

2. - Top - End - #722
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    I mean, that's not how it really works: irl they would have mugged her, taught her how to dance, and then sold her into slavery. But whatever Jeff wants to portray, I guess.
    This is a thing that happens with high school kids? Or did I miss some blue text?
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

3. - Top - End - #723
    Colossus in the Playground

Speaking as a kid who was on the bullied side of things yes, a particularly good line delivered in the right way can and does make bullies back off unless they are trying to start a fist fight. Maybe things are different in the modern age, but back then if you were good enough at dropping lines you could win the confrontation. Having someone you probably treat as retarded hit you like that would have likely shocked and unnerved them. It probably didnt last long, they likely came back the next day, but yeah. Bullies like easy targets they can publicly dominate in some fashion, one who fights back effectively is far from ideal as a target. "Did you see how bad I floored that guy? Yeah thats right, im billy bada** over here!" Feeds the ego far better than "Yeah I won in the end, but the crowd saw me get this black eye in the process."
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

4. - Top - End - #724
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

I mean, that's not how it really works: irl they would have mugged her, taught her how to dance, and then sold her into slavery. But whatever Jeff wants to portray, I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    This is a thing that happens with high school kids? Or did I miss some blue text?
    Vinyadan is in a weird mood today, and not exactly explaining ahead of time when making surreal jokes. I would just assume the blue text. Although I too have no idea what this is about.

5. - Top - End - #725
    Titan in the Playground

Or some people assume we're all smart enough to tell sarcasm from serious statements and don't use blue font to point it out..

Also : can we go back to the bread and catgirl fetish jokes?
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

6. - Top - End - #726
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Or some people assume we're all smart enough to tell sarcasm from serious statements and don't use blue font to point it out..
    Poe's Law.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

7. - Top - End - #727
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Hence, assume it is a joke.

8. - Top - End - #728
    Troll in the Playground

Yes, yes, we know, everything is stupid. Seriously, guys. I find "Brun says something weird and vaguely ominous, bullies back off, uncertain" entirely believable. Middle and high school bullies back off constantly, because they're every bit as stupid children as the ones they're bullying.

9. - Top - End - #729
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    Yes, yes, we know, everything is stupid. Seriously, guys. I find "Brun says something weird and vaguely ominous, bullies back off, uncertain" entirely believable. Middle and high school bullies back off constantly, because they're every bit as stupid children as the ones they're bullying.
    It does not align with my experiences and seems a bit forced in Brun's complete victory.
    I've come to expect thinking along the lines of "Once a loser, always a loser." from school bullies. Especially "stupid children" will assume that life just goes on the way it is.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

10. - Top - End - #730

I'm not at all sure why multiple people are assuming that if the flashback hadn't ended when it did, the next panel wouldn't have been "and the guy on the left overturns Brun's tray into her lap." The only indication they had more of a response than to stare for a second is Renee saying that one of them was, in her reading, motivated to get a career years later by it.

11. - Top - End - #731
    Ettin in the Playground

The bullies, as far as we see, came here to talk s**t about Brun. Brun talked more s**t than them, and they backed off for today. Brun's words hit a sore spot with one guy in particular and it stuck with him. Words tend to do that on occasion.

There is no indication that they approached her to with the intent of physical violence, and thus no reason to assume they would go for such.

And even so, I'm certain HighSchool!Renee could and would beat any or all of their sorry asses if they went so far anyway.
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2019-03-04 at 03:58 PM.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

12. - Top - End - #732
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

I don't know, this whole thing reeks of a personal vendeta tha jeph has never gotten over about high school. Like "yeah, thats what I should have said. It would have totally owned them". Watching someone's personal revenge fantasy just feels weird.

13. - Top - End - #733
    Firbolg in the Playground

Yes, it was a joke. It's actually an oblique throw to how funny it is that Jeff managed to create a character that causes immediate inspection and debate about the believability of anything that concerns her, to the point of discussing the local variance in price of raisins and implications of social politics in a specific American county on the diet of poor children; the line in common discourse between poor and abject; the probability of bat handling; how poverty relates to housing choices that might facilitate bat handling; high school social and power dynamics; and neurodivergence and ASD.

I am not faulting the thread with this, by the way. I am not faulting anyone. When you have a funny comic with very little care for reality and you suddenly throw into it a character with a deliberately realistic condition to which the author even declares a personal connection, it's like throwing a stone in the water. And now it is necessary to fact check everything to see if the comic all should be seen in the light of this sudden shift to realism, and essentially examine and, if necessary, rebuild the rules on which it runs and through wish the readers understand it. Especially because this is a comic about quirky people, but now one of them isn't quirky, she's autistic -- a condition with its own challenges when it comes to media -- and so there's a demand for explanation for all of her actions: writing quirk, ASD, nurture, nature, something else (e.g. Hanners's odd behaviour under chemicals)?
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

14. - Top - End - #734
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

I don't think its so much the character. I like her, honestly. But Jeph seems to be using her to make COMMENTARY ON SOCIETY. Or at least how he views society. And it all either half-assed, poorly researched or nothing all that controversial to his social group.

As someone I know once put it, He's fellating the ivory tower.

15. - Top - End - #735

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub1111 View Post
    I don't think its so much the character. I like her, honestly. But Jeph seems to be using her to make COMMENTARY ON SOCIETY. Or at least how he views society. And it all either half-assed, poorly researched or nothing all that controversial to his social group.

You can just ask a refund for that free comic strip if you aren't happy.

16. - Top - End - #736

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    That reminds me of Michael Ende's "Momo", where there is a bank where people can put their time. The obvious problem is how you are supposed to get it back.
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

17. - Top - End - #737
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

That's a deflection. Just because he's giving away something for free doesn't make him immune to criticism.

18. - Top - End - #738
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

… and you liked it so much you repeated it?

New comic up! This one genuinely feels like filler (and I'm guessing even Jeph would agree on that point.

19. - Top - End - #739
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Oddly, my local newspaper just had an article in it describing how bats are getting hit pretty hard here because the volatile weather, especially after the polar vortex, has them waking up prematurely, then going out and getting frozen.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

20. - Top - End - #740
    Troll in the Playground

Maybe if Beepatrice had said her boss was a fellow AI...

The rest of the conversation is slightly ominous.

21. - Top - End - #741

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    Maybe if Beepatrice had said her boss was a fellow AI...
    Roko's primacy schtick is that she relates to mechanical bodies the same way most people relate to flesh-and-blood bodies and is as disturbed by watching Faye and Bubbles repair AI bodies as a human might be by watching equivalently extreme surgery, so no, I think she got that.

22. - Top - End - #742
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, this is how I feel about the comic a lot recently. Which is why I prefer comics like today.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    New comic up! This one genuinely feels like filler (and I'm guessing even Jeph would agree on that point.
    I like filler. This one might be a bit crude but it's funny enough.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

23. - Top - End - #743
    Bugbear in the Playground

That is one industrial strength penile masturbation device.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

24. - Top - End - #744
    Dwarf in the Playground

I know this has been pointed out to you many times, but why do you still insist on spelling Jeph's name wrong? It's an offensive lack of respect.

25. - Top - End - #745
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Oddly, my local newspaper just had an article in it describing how bats are getting hit pretty hard here because the volatile weather, especially after the polar vortex, has them waking up prematurely, then going out and getting frozen.
    The yo-yo weather is rough on a lot of things... record cold high temps here yesterday and today, in the single digits... forecast for the mid-40s and rain this weekend.

26. - Top - End - #746

Quote Originally Posted by Dorath View Post
    I know this has been pointed out to you many times, but why do you still insist on spelling Jeph's name wrong? It's an offensive lack of respect.
    Feel free to report my posts! It's simply how I find it easiest to write it, lectio facilior and all that. After all, Jeff is a diminutive of Jeffrey, which is his actual name.

27. - Top - End - #747

That's a deflection. Just because he's giving away something for free doesn't make him immune to criticism.
    It doesn't make him immune to criticism, but why are you wasting your time with a comic that offends you so much?

People can just stop watching stuff they dislike you know. Why do you waste your time reading what you hate, and then further wasting your time writing posts about how much you hate what you read?

28. - Top - End - #748
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

It doesn't make him immune to criticism, but why are you wasting your time with a comic that offends you so much?

People can just stop watching stuff they dislike you know. Why do you waste your time reading what you hate, and then further wasting your time writing posts about how much you hate what you read?
    I don't hate it though. I just don't like it when he creates a societal model to prove his own views of society correct. Pages like today are why I like the comic. When he devotes his characters and arcs to just making commentary that his core audience already agrees with and acting like he's oh so brave and progressive for saying it grinds my gears.

29. - Top - End - #749
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Is today's comic a reaction to this remark?
    Last edited by halfeye; 2019-03-05 at 10:01 AM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

30. - Top - End - #750
    Barbarian in the Playground

Feel free to report my posts! It's simply how I find it easiest to write it, lectio facilior and all that. After all, Jeff is a diminutive of Jeffrey, which is his actual name.
    Actually, it isn't. Jeph is his name.
    "Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
    Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.