New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 34 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1484
  1. - Top - End - #991
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Questionable Content 14: "I Deserve A Fancy Butt Emblem."

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    If I were an AI in that setting, the first thing I'd do is get disconnected from all wireless... as in have all the hardware for it physically removed.
    ....A lobotomy, by another name?

And that's assuming that you'd even know about it - Bubbles only knew because she was Black Ops military grade tech, Roko only knew about it from what little Bubbles had told her to explain Corpse Witch's confession, and even Station doesn't know exactly what it is and how it works. I don't imagine that most AIs know about it, any more than you or I would know about what happens in the basement under Area-51.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

2. - Top - End - #992
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    ....A lobotomy, by another name?

And that's assuming that you'd even know about it - Bubbles only knew because she was Black Ops military grade tech, Roko only knew about it from what little Bubbles had told her to explain Corpse Witch's confession, and even Station doesn't know exactly what it is and how it works. I don't imagine that most AIs know about it, any more than you or I would know about what happens in the basement under Area-51.
    My statement is only tangential to "Spookybot". It's mainly on the principle of basic security and privacy.

And we have no reason to think that the AI's need a wireless connection of any kind to maintain their intelligence, personality, or memories -- all of that is in the "black box".
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

3. - Top - End - #993

Griffon

And we have no reason to think that the AI's need a wireless connection of any kind to maintain their intelligence, personality, or memories -- all of that is in the "black box".
    I think I stand by my analogy. There are parts of my brain that a skilled surgeon could theoretically remove and my cognitive functions would still be intact, but would stop me from being able to do something that every other (non-brain damaged) human being could do - I wouldn't WANT them to do it under anything less than dire circumstances.

4. - Top - End - #994
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I think I stand by my analogy. There are parts of my brain that a skilled surgeon could theoretically remove and my cognitive functions would still be intact, but would stop me from being able to do something that every other (non-brain damaged) human being could do - I wouldn't WANT them to do it under anything less than dire circumstances.
    Removing wireless capability wouldn't be like removing a part of your brain though, more like... a sensory organ. Youre cut off from a source of information, but your ability to process your remaining inputs and otherwise think would be unaffected. Yeah, it would kind of suck, but you aren't actually prevented from doing anything except accessing that sense.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

5. - Top - End - #995

Was robosex wireless, or did it use a cable? I'm thinking about whether Squidbot could act like a STD.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

6. - Top - End - #996
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Was robosex wireless, or did it use a cable? I'm thinking about whether Squidbot could act like a STD.
    Cables, at least per this:

https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3500
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

7. - Top - End - #997
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Removing wireless capability wouldn't be like removing a part of your brain though, more like... a sensory organ. Youre cut off from a source of information, but your ability to process your remaining inputs and otherwise think would be unaffected. Yeah, it would kind of suck, but you aren't actually prevented from doing anything except accessing that sense.
    So its like deafening yourself willingly in the name of a feeling of security? I mean seriously, I wouldnt even willingly cut off my sense of taste or smell for any but the most extreme of circumstances.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

8. - Top - End - #998
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    So its like deafening yourself willingly in the name of a feeling of security? I mean seriously, I wouldnt even willingly cut off my sense of taste or smell for any but the most extreme of circumstances.
    I mean, an AI can have such a device reinstalled if they needed it, or even theoretically an external device that they can plug and unplug as desired. There isn't a good human analogue.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

9. - Top - End - #999
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Maybe more like putting on really, really effective noise-cancelling headphones?

10. - Top - End - #1000

Maybe we could just get magneto to make us all some nice hats. "IT WONT WORK CHARLES!"

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

11. - Top - End - #1001
    Titan in the Playground

There's no good human analogue, no one has direct access to what's going on inside our brains.

But, if humans had always-on telepathy, and it functioned via a bundle of nerves that did nothing else, I'd have the damn thing removed from my head without hesitation.

12. - Top - End - #1002

There's no good human analogue, no one has direct access to what's going on inside our brains.

But, if humans had always-on telepathy, and it functioned via a bundle of nerves that did nothing else, I'd have the damn thing removed from my head without hesitation.
    Thats easy to say when you are giving up something you have never had or grown up using. Thats why I am comparing it to even sacrificing your sense of taste. It may not be some crippling loss but its still a loss that you probably wont want to suffer if there are any other options.

13. - Top - End - #1003
    Titan in the Playground

Thats easy to say when you are giving up something you have never had or grown up using. Thats why I am comparing it to even sacrificing your sense of taste. It may not be some crippling loss but its still a loss that you probably wont want to suffer if there are any other options.
    This is just me, personally, but for me it would be giving up nothing for a huge gain in privacy. I find the notion of obligate telepathy horrifying.

14. - Top - End - #1004

This is just me, personally, but for me it would be giving up nothing for a huge gain in privacy. I find the notion of obligate telepathy horrifying.
    Understandable I suppose, but again, you probably wouldnt feel that way if you had been born and raised living with that. Unless... wait a second, are you telepathic? Or is it just something your family has but you dont?

15. - Top - End - #1005
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

That's either a genius way to get her mind of her anxiety with something silly like adding an emergency flare. Or it will backfire and drive it into overdrive. "OMG, an emergency flare? What if I need it? What if the universita capsizes and I'm stranded! I don't know how to open a coconut! I'M DOOMED!"

16. - Top - End - #1006

Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    That's either a genius way to get her mind of her anxiety with something silly like adding an emergency flare. Or it will backfire and drive it into overdrive. "OMG, an emergency flare? What if I need it? What if the universita capsizes and I'm stranded! I don't know how to open a coconut! I'M DOOMED!"
    Or the PTSD talking.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

17. - Top - End - #1007
    Titan in the Playground

She put a flare in a paper bag? Is the plan to trigger the fire alarm or what was she thinking?
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

18. - Top - End - #1008

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    She put a flare in a paper bag? Is the plan to trigger the fire alarm or what was she thinking?
    Well I assume it wont be lit inside of the bag. Obviously its to signal to bubbles to come in on full rock and roll setting and rescue her. Im talking full scale arnold action flick machine gun in each hand, cigar in mouth bandanna across soot stained forehead, boot to the doors rescue mode. HOO RAH! "Im here to rescue claire, and chew bubble gum. Ehhh, you all know how that goes!"

19. - Top - End - #1009
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Well I assume it wont be lit inside of the bag. Obviously its to signal to bubbles to come in on full rock and roll setting and rescue her. Im talking full scale arnold action flick machine gun in each hand, cigar in mouth bandanna across soot stained forehead, boot to the doors rescue mode. HOO RAH! "Im here to rescue claire, and chew bubble gum. Ehhh, you all know how that goes!"
    Arnold via Q3A Sarge, am I correct?
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

20. - Top - End - #1010
    Titan in the Playground

Well I assume it wont be lit inside of the bag.
    Obviously (I hope). But it's still a crazy big safety concern, especially from someone who used to be a soldier.

So, bets on how the test will go? I feel like failure is not an option (?) and everything short of a great score is a failure here?
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

21. - Top - End - #1011
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

So, bets on how the test will go? I feel like failure is not an option (?) and everything short of a great score is a failure here?
    With this much build up, her failing would be to straightforward. Her succeeding, but only at an average-for-her-class level, and she not knowing how to feel about it, that would be interesting.

22. - Top - End - #1012

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    With this much build up, her failing would be to straightforward. Her succeeding, but only at an average-for-her-class level, and she not knowing how to feel about it, that would be interesting.
    Yeah I can see that causing relationship drama. Marten has a hard time sympathizing with her because she did pretty well, like, "A b+ is a pretty good grade you know" While she is freaking out over not graduating at the top spot in the rankings like a white hermione or something.

23. - Top - End - #1013
    Ettin in the Playground

Don't know. Jeph's shown that his understanding of what comprehensive exams are is lacking enough that I can't predict anything because the scenario doesn't resemble comps at all.

For the record:

There are no grades as such. There's no rankings. It's pass/fail in pretty much every humanities discipline I'm aware of. The exact form may differ from department to department, but I won't bore you with the details of how mine were.
    Last edited by SaintRidley; 2019-04-02 at 09:41 AM.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

24. - Top - End - #1014

I'm torn between feeling sorry for Crushbot, and being thrown that apparently the laws governing AIs have no body upper weight limit for humanoid/you may literally run into me strolling down the sidewalk models.

At the risk of sounding cruel, if I was a lawmaker in that world, I'd bloody well have forbidden Crushbot to use a body weighing any more than a few hundred pounds long before now.

25. - Top - End - #1015
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    I'm torn between feeling sorry for Crushbot, and being thrown that apparently the laws governing AIs have no body upper weight limit for humanoid/you may literally run into me strolling down the sidewalk models.

At the risk of sounding cruel, if I was a lawmaker in that world, I'd bloody well have forbidden Crushbot to use a body weighing any more than a few hundred pounds long before now.
    Maybe he needs a licence. I mean, modern life has you interacting with thousands of machines weighing a ton or more everyday, and inattentiveness on either the operator's or your part can result in accidents, property damage, injury, and death for not just you or the operator, but innocent bystanders. But somehow, cars continue to be a thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

26. - Top - End - #1016
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    Don't know. Jeph's shown that his understanding of what comprehensive exams are is lacking enough that I can't predict anything because the scenario doesn't resemble comps at all.

For the record:

There are no grades as such. There's no rankings. It's pass/fail in pretty much every humanities discipline I'm aware of. The exact form may differ from department to department, but I won't bore you with the details of how mine were.
    Yes and no. I'm in a different field, but our PhD qualifying exams seem like a similar high-stakes stressful experience...and the way I remember them, there were no grades other than "you passed" or "you failed", but everyone still seemed to know exactly how well they had done on each problem.

I don't remember if we learned our results through some official channel, or if the faculty were just overly chatty. ("How the hell did you botch the pion-scattering problem? I taught you how to do that; you're making me look bad!")

If Claire's department is as loose-lipped as ours was, she could pass the exam and still end up stressed that every librarian in the world is now judging her over some silly mistake she made.

27. - Top - End - #1017
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    Maybe he needs a licence. I mean, modern life has you interacting with thousands of machines weighing a ton or more everyday, and inattentiveness on either the operator's or your part can result in accidents, property damage, injury, and death for not just you or the operator, but innocent bystanders. But somehow, cars continue to be a thing.
    Yes, but there are rules on where cars can go, and 'inside a classroom' is generally not on the list. Crushbot probably masses about as much as your average forklift, and we have pretty strict rules about where you can drive a forklift.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

28. - Top - End - #1018
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mucat View Post
    Yes and no. I'm in a different field, but our PhD qualifying exams seem like a similar high-stakes stressful experience...and the way I remember them, there were no grades other than "you passed" or "you failed", but everyone still seemed to know exactly how well they had done on each problem.

I don't remember if we learned our results through some official channel, or if the faculty were just overly chatty. ("How the hell did you botch the pion-scattering problem? I taught you how to do that; you're making me look bad!")

If Claire's department is as loose-lipped as ours was, she could pass the exam and still end up stressed that every librarian in the world is now judging her over some silly mistake she made.
    I imagine it is very different in fields where you're expected to solve problems in order to demonstrate your knowledge and mastery, rather than something like library sciences, English, or history where that's not exactly feasible.

In my experience, I learned that I passed directly from my examining committee, and my advisor told me point blank where I did well and what went awry (namely, my oral exam was an absolute disaster, but my written materials were practically perfect, enough so to override any motion to have me re-sit the oral exam).
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

29. - Top - End - #1019

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    I could imagine that this might cause some problems with civil liberties. There's no legally mandated limit on the maximum weight of a human being entering the public, would it not be segregation for there to be one for AIs though?

...I mean you're definitely right that 2 tonnes of clumsy robot falling on people is a bad thing. Trying to pass laws that prohibit some people from bodily autonomy and not others - especially in the super-liberal QCverse - sounds like a nightmare, though.

30. - Top - End - #1020
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I could imagine that this might cause some problems with civil liberties. There's no legally mandated limit on the maximum weight of a human being entering the public, would it not be segregation for there to be one for AIs though?

...I mean you're definitely right that 2 tonnes of clumsy robot falling on people is a bad thing. Trying to pass laws that prohibit some people from bodily autonomy and not others - especially in the super-liberal QCverse - sounds like a nightmare, though.
    Once humans get above a certain weight, liability for them falling on people shifts from the humans in question to the makers of specialized furniture and machinery. Crushbot (and possibly even Bubbles) are at or above that weight while retaining the mobility (and instability) of a much smaller, lighter human. Also, "bodily autonomy" means something very different for a being able to transfer consciousness between bodies on a casual basis. In the same way that no one would balk at being required to get out of a car and go on foot (or at least use a smaller vehicle) in certain spaces, asking some of these AIs to either use some sort of proxy drone or transfer their consciousness to a less immediately dangerous form wouldn't be out of the question.