New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 163132333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1484
  1. - Top - End - #1201
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content 14: "I Deserve A Fancy Butt Emblem."

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun View Post
    IPAs are okay but some brewers do need to learn that more hops doesn't automatically mean better.
    No argument there, though I find myself enjoying the more hoped IPAs greatly

Whether that's because of personal preferences of because I only drink beers brewed by good breweries is anybodies guess.
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

2. - Top - End - #1202
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Mordokai View Post
    All things considered, my opinion of Bubbles just dropped considerably. Never was all that high to begin with, but it now bombed.

I mean, yes, there are better beers than IPAs. Porters and stouts come readily to mind, especially their imperial version.

But c'mon! You do not mock IPA! They are some of the finest nectars I've had a privilege to sample.
    Yes, but what visual hallucinations does their smell give you?

3. - Top - End - #1203
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Dont forget she is also kinda squeeing over faye and bubbles as well. And even without the shipping virus some girls are really big into planning their perfect wedding so it wouldnt shock me if she has been updating this list ever since she first transitioned. All that said, yes its also possible that she is wistfully thinking about her and marten getting together permanently. Its just not the only explanation.
    You're not wrong, but in context with Claire asking if she's overstepping her boundaries? I feel like there's a big gap between "shipping her friends into happy relationships" and then "actively spending time doing research and accumulating data in order to efficiently enable specific events without express permission". I'd feel pretty weird if one of my ex's partners came up and gave me a spreadsheet to recommend how I could arrange my wedding, y'know? It's quite intrusive that someone would be so invested in my private affairs without prompting.

Or maybe I'm just some jaded grognard and would be lucky to have such dedicated friends, I haven't yet discounted that.
    Still, Marten was fretting over the awkward "where do we go in the future?" thing only yesterday and then Claire pulls this out of her pocket on zero-to-short notice.... the guy needs to pay attention!

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    Have to admit, "fresh-cut grass being pissed on" more or less accurately describes the IPAs that I've tried, and I generally like Pale Ales.

Then again, I may have been spoiled by the raisen-plum-and-banana stout that I tried at Christmas; that was GOOD stuff.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2019-04-30 at 08:10 AM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

4. - Top - End - #1204
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    You're not wrong, but in context with Claire asking if she's overstepping her boundaries? I feel like there's a big gap between "shipping her friends into happy relationships" and then "actively spending time doing research and accumulating data in order to efficiently enable specific events without express permission". I'd feel pretty weird if one of my ex's partners came up and gave me a spreadsheet to recommend how I could arrange my wedding, y'know? It's quite intrusive that someone would be so invested in my private affairs without prompting.

Or maybe I'm just some jaded grognard and would be lucky to have such dedicated friends, I haven't yet discounted that.
    Still, Marten was fretting over the awkward "where do we go in the future?" thing only yesterday and then Claire pulls this out of her pocket on zero-to-short notice.... the guy needs to pay attention!

Have to admit, "fresh-cut grass being pissed on" more or less accurately describes the IPAs that I've tried, and I generally like Pale Ales.

Then again, I may have been spoiled by the raisen-plum-and-banana stout that I tried at Christmas; that was GOOD stuff.
    Well the boundaries thing is likely because she has recently had how pushy she gets rubbed into her face through clinton, so while her first impulse is to try and get everything done to help, she is also aware that it may be unwelcome so she asked first rather than just slapping down the spreadsheets and telling them the best options. Which adds THAT in as a reason why she has this info handy. She heard there was an engagement in the offing and went into full research and planing mode then realized that might be more than a bit pushy.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

5. - Top - End - #1205
    Titan in the Playground

Over-hopped beers in general smell and taste like fresh-cut very-wet weeds, with a horrible bitter finish that ruins anything good about them.

IPA are almost universally over-hopped.

And in general, there was a (now thankfully fading) trend in brewing to treat hops like cowbell.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

6. - Top - End - #1206

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Traab
    Well the boundaries thing is likely because she has recently had how pushy she gets rubbed into her face through clinton, so while her first impulse is to try and get everything done to help, she is also aware that it may be unwelcome so she asked first rather than just slapping down the spreadsheets and telling them the best options.
    She's getting around being accused of being pushy, by being pushy politely. Everyone is entitled to a hobby and spending their free time however they want, but I still find it a little bit weird to be so obsessively engrossed in someone else's private affairs. Then again, I don't understand the appeal of reality TV either, and I'm not sorry for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy
    Over-hopped beers in general smell and taste like fresh-cut very-wet weeds, with a horrible bitter finish that ruins anything good about them.
    This, and Bubbles' description of IPAs, remind me of an (A?)PA that I was once recommended, on the virtue that it was made with wet hops, rather than dried ones. It came to the table the same sickly green as the flesh of a peeled lime, and tasted as though someone had taken a handful of lawn trimmings and squeezed it until the juice dripped into a glass.
    I've had some IPAs which tasted better than that, of course, but not by much.

7. - Top - End - #1207
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Non-alcoholic beers are limited to Kaliber (which looks, tastes and smells like I remember Harps lager), Buckler and Heineken NA (both of which smell like a Heineken), O'Douls Amber (like a MGD Amber), and all the rest which are effectively Bud/Miller Lite. Complex aromas appear to be too divisive to split that already diminutive NA market.

Regardless, my point is the Bubbles doesn't really experience drinks like we do-- she has the whole visual hallucination thing that the tea does. And thus her having a divergent opinion on something I might cherish doesn't really seem all that combative. '_____ <thing I love> makes me think of someone peeing on grass.' doesn't seem very much like calling my tastes into question* when they literally mean it evokes the image of someone urinating in front of them -- we are having completely different experiences of the product.
    *Not that someone disliking something I like really does that. But for the sake of discussion I am agreeing to the general concept.

8. - Top - End - #1208
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    If you ever heard of Unttapd... I'm on there. I'm currently boasting almost a thousand unique brands. Not quite there, but close enough.

In all those almost-thousand brand... I've never had visual hallucinations. Maybe that's sad... personally, I consider it encouraging.

But maybe we can discuss olfactory sensing... If we can agree on that...

Porters remind me of a misty mounting morning... something pretty indescribable, but no doubt pleasurable. They just have this overall nice feeling to them. Not too bold, not too weak... just... nice.

Stouts are porters big brother... more flavour, more taste, more smell.

Honestly, despite never experiencing it first hand, some of them come as close to female organs(color notwithstanding) as I imagine it to be, courtesy of certain media that shall not be named here.

IPAs are... just plain freaky! It's damn hard to place them, but I like them. They are nonconformist, wacky and all around the place. They are something you fell you should be offended by, but can't feel but love them.

They are the non cool girl in the class that everyone pretends they hate but are secretly in love with her.

And I'm the only one that honestly says... yeah, I love her. She's weird and I can't, for the life of me figure out *why* I love her... but I do.
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

9. - Top - End - #1209

Did you notice the notice on panel 3?
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

10. - Top - End - #1210
    Barbarian in the Playground

We all need to be nice to Elliot.
    "Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
    Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.

11. - Top - End - #1211
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Another observation I saw on Twitter is that burgers are a dollar, but the extras are super expensive.

12. - Top - End - #1212
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

All things considered, my opinion of Bubbles just dropped considerably. Never was all that high to begin with, but it now bombed.

I mean, yes, there are better beers than IPAs. Porters and stouts come readily to mind, especially their imperial version.

But c'mon! You do not mock IPA! They are some of the finest nectars I've had a privilege to sample.

If you ever heard of Unttapd... I'm on there. I'm currently boasting almost a thousand unique brands. Not quite there, but close enough.

In all those almost-thousand brand... I've never had visual hallucinations. Maybe that's sad... personally, I consider it encouraging.

But maybe we can discuss olfactory sensing... If we can agree on that...

Porters remind me of a misty mounting morning... something pretty indescribable, but no doubt pleasurable. They just have this overall nice feeling to them. Not too bold, not too weak... just... nice.

Stouts are porters big brother... more flavour, more taste, more smell.

Honestly, despite never experiencing it first hand, some of them come as close to female organs(color notwithstanding) as I imagine it to be, courtesy of certain media that shall not be named here.

IPAs are... just plain freaky! It's damn hard to place them, but I like them. They are nonconformist, wacky and all around the place. They are something you fell you should be offended by, but can't feel but love them.

They are the non cool girl in the class that everyone pretends they hate but are secretly in love with her.

And I'm the only one that honestly says... yeah, I love her. She's weird and I can't, for the life of me figure out *why* I love her... but I do.
    On UnTappd as well. 1783 uniques and counting.

9 times out of 10, when someone says they hate craft beer, what they actually mean is they hate IPAs. For a long time I was in that category, as i found them too bitter. However, living in Texas I had to accept that from March to October, 50% or more of the craft beers on any tap wall were going to be IPAs. I kept trying and have come to have an appreciation for them.

Having said that, Porters, Stouts and Barleywines are my favorites (in no particular order).
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

13. - Top - End - #1213
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tomandtish View Post

9 times out of 10, when someone says they hate craft beer, what they actually mean is they hate IPAs. For a long time I was in that category, as i found them too bitter. However, living in Texas I had to accept that from March to October, 50% or more of the craft beers on any tap wall were going to be IPAs. I kept trying and have come to have an appreciation for them.
    According to homebrewers (and at least one professional brewer) around here, a big part of the reason for this is the IPA style is very fast, easy, and relatively inexpensive to brew. Which means as long as people still want to buy them then they'll put out a batch so they have some easy product to sell and get cashflow going; if the same breweries also have a less common style you like, chances are their IPA funds the production of that coffee stout or trippel or whatever.

14. - Top - End - #1214
    Bugbear in the Playground

My favorites a fruit lambics by virtue of one being the only beer I ever tasted that I would consider drinking normally. Although the aftertaste still had some of that unpleasant normal beer taste.

15. - Top - End - #1215
    Titan in the Playground

Having said that, Porters, Stouts and Barleywines are my favorites (in no particular order).
    If you can get it, there's an English porter, Flag, that's absolutely wonderful. It sort of disappeared from all the stores here, so not sure if it's imported any more.

It's made with yeast recovered from sealed casks brought up from an 1825 ship wreck.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

16. - Top - End - #1216
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Dora invited.her brother? Oh good I was hoping they'd reconcile. It would be a shame to miss out on his little sister's engagement.

17. - Top - End - #1217
    Ogre in the Playground

I doubt that Dora invited Sven -- not without warning Faye first. (And warning Sven that Faye would be there. And warning innocent bystanders that Sven and Faye would both be there. There are Geneva Convention rules to be followed here, people.)

18. - Top - End - #1218
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    If you can get it, there's an English porter, Flag, that's absolutely wonderful. It sort of disappeared from all the stores here, so not sure if it's imported any more.

It's made with yeast recovered from sealed casks brought up from an 1825 ship wreck.
    Would love to check it out, but the nearest I found....

431.7 miles away · 120 East Thomas Street, Hammond, LA 70401

Edit: Also, just read the new comic. I really wish Jeph would stop changing his art style so much. I was trying to figure out who the lady was outside the restroom, and then realized it was Sven.
    Last edited by tomandtish; 2019-05-02 at 12:39 AM.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

19. - Top - End - #1219
    Titan in the Playground

Sometimes I think Jeph hates all his characters (to an extent).
    So will we get fighting and drama or snarky fun? It's a toss of the coin...
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

20. - Top - End - #1220

Is the bolo tie a signal of his countryness?
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

21. - Top - End - #1221

Quote Originally Posted by mucat View Post
    I doubt that Dora invited Sven -- not without warning Faye first. (And warning Sven that Faye would be there. And warning innocent bystanders that Sven and Faye would both be there. There are Geneva Convention rules to be followed here, people.)
    Doesnt his buddy wil work at this bar as a bartender? I seem to recall that being a thing.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

22. - Top - End - #1222
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Considering Sven did nothing wrong, this is yet another situation where Faye needs to get over herself.

23. - Top - End - #1223
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Shogo View Post
    Considering Sven did nothing wrong, this is yet another situation where Faye needs to get over herself.
    Nor did Faye. 'Oh god, there's my ex, who I am not in an emotional place to deal with. I'm gonna say make clear that I don't want to interact with them and then sequester myself and wait until they've left' is a reasonable way to handle the situation. The 'And when I come out, I want you gone' could have been replaced with 'and will repeat until you are gone,' but otherwise this was the correct course of action.

24. - Top - End - #1224
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shogo View Post
    You're partly right. When Sven and Faye had their... whatevers with benefits setup, it was never confirmed that they would be exclusive. However, neither was it confirmed that it wasn't exclusive. And Sven himself had his doubts as to whether or not sleeping with someone else would be "cheating." At worst, Sven violated an unspoken but assumed clause of a verbal contract.

The tldr version is that Sven thought that a certain course of action might potentially hurt Faye's feelings, performed the actions, and surprise, surprise, ended up hurting Faye's feelings.

But I'm sure the part that Faye is more annoyed about was his "confession" that he was in love with her and his assumption that it would fix things between them. Not exactly wrong either, but inconsiderate and a bit narcissistic.

EDIT: Actually, after reviewing the circumstances, we see that Faye did apparently want the relationship (whatever it was) to be exclusive. So yes, for all intents and purposes, Sven did cheat. And then his intent was to lie about it (by ommission).
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2019-05-02 at 09:16 AM.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

25. - Top - End - #1225
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

One could argue that Faye was emotionally unfaithful well before Sven was physically unfaithful.

He wanted to take the relationship further and was denied. Meanwhile she was "dating" Angus and told Sven nothing about him when he wanted to take things further

26. - Top - End - #1226

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub1111 View Post
    One could argue that Faye was emotionally unfaithful well before Sven was physically unfaithful.

He wanted to take the relationship further and was denied. Meanwhile she was "dating" Angus and told Sven nothing about him when he wanted to take things further
    Not for the first time, it occurs to me that you and I aren't reading the same webcomic.

He didn't suggest he had actual feelings for Faye that went beyond "hey, sex with her is fun" until long after she'd broken up with him, and when he did he expected her to immediately drop her current relationship and come running back to him.

27. - Top - End - #1227
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

I really wish Jeph would stop changing his art style so much. I was trying to figure out who the lady was outside the restroom, and then realized it was Sven.
    It isn't a cameo by Sam from EGS?
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

28. - Top - End - #1228

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    He didn't suggest he had actual feelings for Faye that went beyond "hey, sex with her is fun" until long after she'd broken up with him, and when he did he expected her to immediately drop her current relationship and come running back to him.
    Couldn't we all just agree that they're both horrible people who were both failing to communicate due to their own neurosis, and would have been better served with therapy rather than fumbling their way through a doomed relationship (sexual, romantic or otherwise) as a distraction from their real problems?
    Neither Sven nor Faye were capable of reacting to the situation in a healthy way. It doesn't matter who was "first", they were both inherently flawed even before it began.

29. - Top - End - #1229
    Ettin in the Playground

Couldn't we all just agree that they're both horrible people who were both failing to communicate due to their own neurosis, and would have been better served with therapy rather than fumbling their way through a doomed relationship (sexual, romantic or otherwise) as a distraction from their real problems?
    Neither Sven nor Faye were capable of reacting to the situation in a healthy way. It doesn't matter who was "first", they were both inherently flawed even before it began.
    I don't remember this arc well enough to address your characterization of it, but...Just about any relationship, much less failed relationships, will be between inherently flawed people. It is nonetheless frequently the case that one person is primarily to blame for the failure of the relationship. Actions, not personalities, determine responsibility.

30. - Top - End - #1230
    Titan in the Playground

I think I missed where Faye was dating Angus while also sleeping with Sven.