New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Plot twists you thought would happen (but totally didn’t)

Quote Originally Posted by Chaosrex View Post
    -it's just last post, I don't need to quote it all-
    1. Tsukiko would need to dig her legs out of the rubble and then stitch both halves together. Who does she look like, Grubwilliger?
    2. I'm pretty sure that was a joke at the expense of people who had already assumed Miko would be raised as a powerful undead.
    3. I wouldn't call her an annoying character, any more than Belkar or the Monster in the Darkness are. All three would be annoying to know in person (for very different reasons, of course), but the ways they annoy others are designed to create drama, comedy, or both. The reason I'd give for Miko not coming back is something more like "Her story was complete". Her intolerance and paranoia lead her to suspect a larger and larger conspiracy until she murdered her master and doomed her city (not at the same time), and never realized how her ironclad beliefs were blinding her to the truth. She couldn't atone because she never realized she was doing something wrong.

I'd like to apologize in advance if I started a multi-page flame war over Miko.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    1. Tsukiko would need to dig her legs out of the rubble and then stitch both halves together. Who does she look like, Grubwilliger?
    2. I'm pretty sure that was a joke at the expense of people who had already assumed Miko would be raised as a powerful undead.
    3. I wouldn't call her an annoying character, any more than Belkar or the Monster in the Darkness are. All three would be annoying to know in person (for very different reasons, of course), but the ways they annoy others are designed to create drama, comedy, or both. The reason I'd give for Miko not coming back is something more like "Her story was complete". Her intolerance and paranoia lead her to suspect a larger and larger conspiracy until she murdered her master and doomed her city (not at the same time), and never realized how her ironclad beliefs were blinding her to the truth. She couldn't atone because she never realized she was doing something wrong.

I'd like to apologize in advance if I started a multi-page flame war over Miko.
    They coulda just grafted her top half on a zombie centaur's bottom half!
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin_Priest View Post
    They coulda just grafted her top half on a zombie centaur's bottom half!
    Yeah, but then they'd have to find a centaur to cut in half. That's work, you know? Easier to just find a whole centaur corpse and make a zombie out of that.
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Fanfic

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, but then they'd have to find a centaur to cut in half. That's work, you know? Easier to just find a whole centaur corpse and make a zombie out of that.
    No, no, no they stitch Miko's top half on the centaur's bottom half and then they stitch the centaur's top half on Miko's bottom half. Flawless plan!
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    No, no, no they stitch Miko's top half on the centaur's bottom half and then they stitch the centaur's top half on Miko's bottom half. Flawless plan!
    Why not stitch the centaur's front half to Miko's bottom half, and the centaur's back half to Miko's top half?
    Quotes, more

Fanfic

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

How about stitching the centaur's top half to Miko's top half and its bottom half to her bottom half?
    Last edited by Resileaf; 2019-01-25 at 01:03 PM.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

I like where this is going.
    Forum Wisdom

8. - Top - End - #158
    Banned

I like where this is going.
    But pushmepullyous are stationary

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    But pushmepullyous are stationary
    Not if they agree on which way to go!
    Wait, half of the pushmepullyou would be Miko, never mind.
    Quotes, more

Fanfic

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    Agreed. I think Belkar will die, and the only twist/surprise will be how he dies, in order to prevent Raise/Ressurection.
    There doesn’t need to be a twist the order could just elect not to resurrect him. Honestly if the world is saved would bringing him back be beneficial? He’s still a CE murderious psycho.
    How’s this for a twist, The world is saved the order is preparing to disband. Everyone’s talking about what are you going to do now. Belkar says how he’s going to track down all the people who annoyed him but he missed the chance to kill. And Roy kills Belkar in the middle of his speech.
    Nale is no more, he has ceased to be, his hit points have dropped to negative ten, all he was is now dust in the wind, he is not Daniel Jackson dead, he is not Kenny dead, he is final dead, he will not pass through death's revolving door, his fate will not be undone because the executives renewed his show for another season. His time had run out, his string of fate has been cut, the blood on the knife has been wiped. He is an Ex-Nale! Now can we please resume watching the Order save the world.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Vukodlak View Post
    There doesn’t need to be a twist the order could just elect not to resurrect him. Honestly if the world is saved would bringing him back be beneficial? He’s still a CE murderious psycho.
    How’s this for a twist, The world is saved the order is preparing to disband. Everyone’s talking about what are you going to do now. Belkar says how he’s going to track down all the people who annoyed him but he missed the chance to kill. And Roy kills Belkar in the middle of his speech.
    Then the next time Roy meets the Burocratic Deva, he'll be ready for a trip to True Neutral afterlifes for let's see.... all the eternity?

Then there is no way that Durkon leaves Belkar alone. Belkar saved Durkon from Greg. Durkon would save Belkar for everything he can, we can be sure about it. If Belkar will stay dead is only because Durkon cannot resurrect him, or if Belkar himself refuse the resurrection. Or Belkar won't die at all, in Oracle's face
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    New suggestion: the MitD is an Italian Protean. Mamma mia!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Eyyy, I'm-a shiftin' da shapes and-a helping my amico Signore Stiffliano escape! Easyducio! Bada bing!

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Synesthesy View Post
    Then the next time Roy meets the Burocratic Deva, he'll be ready for a trip to True Neutral afterlifes for let's see.... all the eternity?
    I don't know about you, but I think "I'm off to kill about a million people" is motive enough to be killed. :P

13. - Top - End - #163
    Banned

Something something preemptive action something something immanent threat

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

That doesn't really sound like Belkar as he is now (nor as he was, hunting people down is work and he sucks at tracking). Nor does it sound like Roy.
    Forum Wisdom

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

Then there is no way that Durkon leaves Belkar alone. Belkar saved Durkon from Greg. Durkon would save Belkar for everything he can, we can be sure about it. If Belkar will stay dead is only because Durkon cannot resurrect him, or if Belkar himself refuse the resurrection. Or Belkar won't die at all, in Oracle's face
    Yes because stopping someone who announces they are going to murder innocent people is a bad thing.
    Nale is no more, he has ceased to be, his hit points have dropped to negative ten, all he was is now dust in the wind, he is not Daniel Jackson dead, he is not Kenny dead, he is final dead, he will not pass through death's revolving door, his fate will not be undone because the executives renewed his show for another season. His time had run out, his string of fate has been cut, the blood on the knife has been wiped. He is an Ex-Nale! Now can we please resume watching the Order save the world.

16. - Top - End - #166

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    I don't know about you, but I think "I'm off to kill about a million people" is motive enough to be killed. :P
    Yes because stopping someone who announces they are going to murder innocent people is a bad thing.
    Killing someone for something that he did not can't be a good act. For what we know, in the next 5 minutes a random O-Chul spawns and talks him into lawfull good.

Actually, Roy did point this out to the Deva, he said something like "unless you want me to murder him while he sleep"; the Deva said that it isn't what they want.
    New suggestion: the MitD is an Italian Protean. Mamma mia!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Eyyy, I'm-a shiftin' da shapes and-a helping my amico Signore Stiffliano escape! Easyducio! Bada bing!

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

One of my favorite lines in the comic:
    In my top 5.
    Take it from a professional.
    Obviously most of this does not apply to D&D wizards, but some does.
    Arrgh, I was hoping you'd be linking to a Bruce Lee line, something like "expect the unexpected."
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    In my top 5. Arrgh, I was hoping you'd be linking to a Bruce Lee line, something like "expect the unexpected."
    Maybe this will cheer you up, then.
    Forum Wisdom

19. - Top - End - #169
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Arrgh, I was hoping you'd be linking to a Bruce Lee line, something like "expect the unexpected."
    Ya know, if you'd taken that to heart, you would have expected the video that was linked.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

Leaving Elan to die after he ran off to try and help people gets you chucked into True Neutral. Killing Belkar if he makes it clear that's the only way to stop him from killing other people...is literally what the Order does to goblins and thieves and vampires and stuff, only to a major character.
    I don't think Belkar would make that kind of speech, and I don't think he'd want to do that anymore, but if he did make that speech and his heart was in it, killing him would be slightly more justified than killing Thog.

Ya know, if you'd taken that to heart, you would have expected the video that was linked.
    The only way to expect the unexpected is to expect to see something you don't expect. (By definition.) Therefore, if you expect any specific unexpected thing, you're not expecting the unexpected—you're just explaining a low-probability event.
    Quotes, more

Fanfic

21. - Top - End - #171

The only way to expect the unexpected is to expect to see something you don't expect. (By definition.) Therefore, if you expect any specific unexpected thing, you're not expecting the unexpected—you're just explaining a low-probability event.
    Just as I expected.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

- I thought the Snarl might be a myth.

- I thought the Eastern Gods might still be alive.

- I thought that Elan might defeat Tarquin as a storyteller by narrating him into a position that wasn't cool.

- I thought that Trigak might re - (no.)

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I haven't made many false predictions over the years - I learned early on not to expect any specific plot development, because Rich very rarely does something particularly predictable. I do remember, though, reading a prediction that V's mate might show up as an antagonist looking to hunt the party down and thinking "huh, that seems prescient! I bet that happens." Naturally, it didn't, and now I feel rather stupid for ever thinking it was a plausible theory. Of course, it was like ten years ago, when I was in high school, so there's that.
    Last edited by Emanick; 2019-01-26 at 05:03 AM.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

24. - Top - End - #174

Flumph

Now I started to wonder if Belkar's analysis about Shojo's failed Resurrection may foreshadow his eventual fate. Maybe he will end up in an afterlife he doesn't want to leave?
    Consider that a prediction that can still fail to come true. :)

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

During the hiatus after strip 873, I thought Malack and Vaarsuvius will meet deep in the bowels of the Girard's pyramid, but will not duel since V didn't know Malack joined the Guild and Malack will not care about Nale's plan. They discover the Gate together while Roy and the rest of the Order overcomes Girard's master illusions upstairs, and somehow end up destroying it just after Xykon arrives and starts to enter the pyramid.
    There must be some sense of order - personal, political or dramatic - and if no one else is going to bring it to this world, I will.

Silent member of Zz'dtri's #698 Scrying Sensor Explanation Club.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Heksefatter View Post
    - I thought that Elan might defeat Tarquin as a storyteller by narrating him into a position that wasn't cool.
    From a certain point of view, that's what he did.
    Quotes, more

Fanfic

27. - Top - End - #177

GreataxeFighterGirl

I thought [Oona] the masked figure would capture O-chul and Lien, but they'd kill [her] and use her mount to fly to the Gates.

I mean, who doesn't want to see two paladins riding a sonic reptillian unicorn?

28. - Top - End - #178
    Troll in the Playground

Do you mean ginko biloba? Because I can't find anything about ginko balboa and that's a more plausible typo.

I didn't know ginko biloba was believed to have anything to do with memory (although that's apparently unproven), so I just assumed Blackwing asked what's the best food he was ever going to eat or something along those line. However, I admit the thought that Blackwing was secretly dropping ginko nuts in V's plates the whole time is hilarious.

I don't really get the impression that Blackwing was trying to mend their relationship, though
    Ginkgo biloba is famous as an aphrodisiac, so it's basically a "viagra joke." Whole memory thing is a forum rumor based on the Wikipedia article.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #179

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    Ginkgo biloba is famous as an aphrodisiac, so it's basically a "viagra joke."
    "Famous" is relative. For instance, I never heard of that before you mentioned it. I know it as the memory aide (despite also knowing that's bunk), which it's also famous for. And considering V and Blackwing's relationship at the time, it makes sense to reference that. A viagra joke would be out of nowhere and make no sense whatsoever.

30. - Top - End - #180

I feel like we've moved past the point where "just leave Belkar dead" is something the Order would actually do.

Yes, he's still evil, but at this point I feel like that he's not faking improving has been impressed upon at least Roy and Durkon, if not the others (yet). I've thought for awhile that his death would at least resonate with them on an emotional level.

So while I don't think it would actually be wrong to leave Belkar dead given everything he's done, I imagine there actually will be a concrete reason it just isn't possible for them to do anything about it.
    Last edited by Rrmcklin; 2019-02-07 at 05:11 PM.